Bringing Cigarettes To Thailand

wolvyz

I know smoking is bad and all but this friend in bangkok wants us to bring as much cigarettes as possible from our home country.

So when we bring cigarettes which are purchased in the home country, how many is allowed in the airport per person?

Thanks

Do not risk smuggling them in. If your friend is addicted to a certain branch then he will pay the tax. Declare the cigarettes, then no fine will apply. I just had been to Australia with 400 cigarettes and declared them. I was surprised that only 50 were allowed and the remaining 350 cost me about 175AUD. Expensive but worth every penny because I dislike switching branches

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

So those cigarettes come in packs of 20 and we also get 1 carton of this particular brand with 10 packs.

That means three of us are going. Each one of us can carry 10 packs (containing 20 cigarettes each (20 X 10 packs = 200 cigs))?

After hearing the fines, I am scared now. Really need to super confirm the official number of cigarettes allowed.

I wouldn't risk bringing any if I were you, you wouldn't want to go believing those people who have already kindly answered the question you asked in the first place would you?

I wouldn't risk bringing any if I were you, you wouldn't want to go believing those people who have already kindly answered the question you asked in the first place would you?

Yes, I have cancelled bringing a whole lot of cigarettes. I only packed one packet containing 20 sticks.

I am always amazed at these posts where people talk about "how many cigs can I bring in ", a simple search on google will show you duty free allowances for any country.

My answer is always why are you asking. A carton of cigarettes here in Thailand is much much cheaper than in UK, and I am talking about just going down to any local shop or supermarket and buying them.

Please dont say "I only smoke....this brand". I was a smoker for 30 years. If you cant get your embassy regals or players No6 then any other brand will do. really, get here run out of your favourite brand and then wait 2 days, you will smoke anything and enjoy it.

Plus do you keep the cigarettes with you or in the back of the plane with your luggage?

carry the cigarettes yourself and just only one carton (20 packet), even if you travel with friends, do not carry your friend's cigarettes. Thai custom consider the cigarettes belongs to you even you are carry for your friends.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/travellers/allowance+and+relief/allowancerelief

ALLOWANCE & RELIEF

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

• 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco; and
  • 1 litre of alcoholic beverages.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

• 2 weeks later...

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

Nooooo! I wanted to bring a spare Engine for the L200.. Who is going to bring Engine parts for <deleted> lol

• 1 year later...

A warning on bringing cigarettes into Thailand at airports and in particular the Laos Nong Khai border crossing

A friend of mine, and his Thai girlfriend were also caught today in this scam being operated by Nong Khai customs at the Laos border crossing. My friend informed me that he and his girlfriend were returning from a visa run to Laos. They had been informed by the duty free shops at Laos that they could bring back 400 cigarettes each into Thailand with no problem. This was incorrect as the allowance is 200 per person. My friend was confronted by customs in the car park, and he suspects that the customs officers already knew that the limit for cigarettes had been over exceeded since only he was pounced on. He and his Thai girlfriend were taken to the Nong Khai customs office where he was threatened with jail unless he paid 20,000 baht on the spot. This was calculated at approx 484 baht per packet of 20 cigarettes and he was told that this was on the full amount being carried, 4 cartons, not on the 2 cartons over the limit. They said that all of the cigarettes were his, ferrangs and none of them could be his girlfriends or her allowance. This is because the financial penalty for excess cigarettes is much higher for ferrangs than for Thai, and so the amount of the fine would be higher if all blame was attributed to him. After hours of painful negotiation the amount was reduced to 12,,000 baht which he had to pay or face going to court, and they confiscated three of the four cartons, not even leaving them with 2 cartons, one for each as per their allowance. Please be warned that this is a well rehearsed and well practiced scam designed to extract huge amounts of baht from ferrang and applies even if you only slightly exceed the customs allowance. You will not be told of your rights, or given any translation of what is going on in your own language, and my friend was taken away without being cautioned or read any rights. My friend was also threatened with police arrest, being held in custody, and a Court trial and possibly not being able to enter Thailand again.

This is a scam in my opinion because:

1. The amount of fine at 484 baht per packet over 200 cigarettes is ridiculously high, and it is unfair that the fine is four times higher for ferrang than for Thai people.

2. The duty free shops are misleading ferrang about their allowances, and then I summise mabe even tipping off the customs.

3. In this case claiming that all the cigarettes were the ferrangs and none of them his Thai girlfriends is deliberate manipulation to maximise the amount the ferrang is forced to pay in this trap.

4. Too many cigarettes were confiscated, even the duty free allowance of 200 per person could not be retained.

5. Initially they tried to extort an amount based on the entire quantity in his possession and not just the amount above the limit.

I WANT TO ADD AN IMPORTANT WEALTH WARNING HERE
You might be reading this thinking that this could never happen to me, as I know the correct allowances for cigarettes and as a law abiding citizen I would not bring more than a single carton of 200 into Thailand.
WRONG
All it takes is for you to carry a friends bag containing his or her allowance, just one carton, and the Thai customs will say that both allowances are yours and you will be deemed to have exceeded the limit. In Nong Khai they pounced when my friends girlfriend asked him to carry her bag for her, and immediately they took a digital picture of him with all of the cigarettes, both his and her allowances.They were waiting not at the immigration customs point desk but in the car park where one person can easily end up carrying more than just his or her own allowance.They want to ensure that fines are ,axi,ised and hence the penalty rate has been set at a massive 480 baht per packet of 20 cigarettes that you are over the limit. There are many recent reports of other foreigners being cheated in this way at the airports too.One visitor who came with four of his mates from Singapore made the mistake of carrying their cigarette allowances. They were already through the customs area but were ceased in the airport public area when he was helping carry their bags. Despite protests and involving the police he was advised to settle and paid just under 20,000 baht. As a group they were not over their group total allowances. This is a well engineered and detailed Thai Government trap and scam. It is an abuse of power, and it is disgusting and is being used to steal large sums of money from foreign visitors to Thailand.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND PLEASE MAKE AS MANY PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS AS YOU CAN SO THAT OTHERS ARE NOT CONNED IN THIS WAY !

It has also been reported that the Nong Khai customs are searching for cigarettes on the train from Nong Khai to Bangkok, so again only have your own duty free allowance with you. Do not put your allowances together in one bag.

A warning on bringing cigarettes into Thailand at airports and in particular the Laos Nong Khai border crossing

A friend of mine, and his Thai girlfriend were also caught today in this scam being operated by Nong Khai customs at the Laos border crossing. My friend informed me that he and his girlfriend were returning from a visa run to Laos. They had been informed by the duty free shops at Laos that they could bring back 400 cigarettes each into Thailand with no problem. This was incorrect as the allowance is 200 per person. My friend was confronted by customs in the car park, and he suspects that the customs officers already knew that the limit for cigarettes had been over exceeded since only he was pounced on. He and his Thai girlfriend were taken to the Nong Khai customs office where he was threatened with jail unless he paid 20,000 baht on the spot. This was calculated at approx 484 baht per packet of 20 cigarettes and he was told that this was on the full amount being carried, 4 cartons, not on the 2 cartons over the limit. They said that all of the cigarettes were his, ferrangs and none of them could be his girlfriends or her allowance. This is because the financial penalty for excess cigarettes is much higher for ferrangs than for Thai, and so the amount of the fine would be higher if all blame was attributed to him. After hours of painful negotiation the amount was reduced to 12,,000 baht which he had to pay or face going to court, and they confiscated three of the four cartons, not even leaving them with 2 cartons, one for each as per their allowance. Please be warned that this is a well rehearsed and well practiced scam designed to extract huge amounts of baht from ferrang and applies even if you only slightly exceed the customs allowance. You will not be told of your rights, or given any translation of what is going on in your own language, and my friend was taken away without being cautioned or read any rights. My friend was also threatened with police arrest, being held in custody, and a Court trial and possibly not being able to enter Thailand again.

1. The amount of fine at 484 baht per packet over 200 cigarettes is ridiculously high, and it is unfair that the fine is four times higher for ferrang than for Thai people.

2. The duty free shops are misleading ferrang about their allowances, and then I summise mabe even tipping off the customs.

3. In this case claiming that all the cigarettes were the ferrangs and none of them his Thai girlfriends is deliberate manipulation to maximise the amount the ferrang is forced to pay in this trap.

4. Too many cigarettes were confiscated, even the duty free allowance of 200 per person could not be retained.

5. Initially they tried to extort an amount based on the entire quantity in his possession and not just the amount above the limit.

You might be reading this thinking that this could never happen to me, as I know the correct allowances for cigarettes and as a law abiding citizen I would not bring more than a single carton of 200 into Thailand.
WRONG
All it takes is for you to carry a friends bag containing his or her allowance, just one carton, and the Thai customs will say that both allowances are yours and you will be deemed to have exceeded the limit. In Nong Khai they pounced when my friends girlfriend asked him to carry her bag for her, and immediately they took a digital picture of him with all of the cigarettes, both his and her allowances.They were waiting not at the immigration customs point desk but in the car park where one person can easily end up carrying more than just his or her own allowance.They want to ensure that fines are ,axi,ised and hence the penalty rate has been set at a massive 480 baht per packet of 20 cigarettes that you are over the limit. There are many recent reports of other foreigners being cheated in this way at the airports too.One visitor who came with four of his mates from Singapore made the mistake of carrying their cigarette allowances. They were already through the customs area but were ceased in the airport public area when he was helping carry their bags. Despite protests and involving the police he was advised to settle and paid just under 20,000 baht. As a group they were not over their group total allowances. This is a well engineered and detailed Thai Government trap and scam. It is an abuse of power, and it is disgusting and is being used to steal large sums of money from foreign visitors to Thailand.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED AND PLEASE MAKE AS MANY PEOPLE AWARE OF THIS AS YOU CAN SO THAT OTHERS ARE NOT CONNED IN THIS WAY !

It has also been reported that the Nong Khai customs are searching for cigarettes on the train from Nong Khai to Bangkok, so again only have your own duty free allowance with you. Do not put your allowances together in one bag.

Nothing new. Happens all the time on the Thai Cambodia border. Due some research before you travel.

You can get thousands of them at any 7/11 in Thailand cheap as chips. In fact 7/11 is cheaper than duty free. They are just as good as the smokes you get home. Smoke a few different brands until you find the type of smoke you like and ask your mates what is he closest to your brand, if they already don't sell your brand here. Cant really understand people wanting to bring cigs into the country.

Can you bring me a box of Regal (normal, not them King Size ones what are for Jessies).

Cheers.

Regal Filters. They were my favourite when was younger. I am working overseas and get duty free Regal King Size for about £15 a carton of 200. I've just quit though so I won't be smoking them again smile.png

I flew into Swampy in October 13 and had 2 cartons of 200 in my hold luggage and had no problems. Just enough for my 2 weeks off work.

Perfume,chocolates,electronics,whiskey and cigarettes are the biggest rip off in duty free shops across the world.

A bottle of Johnny Walker in a Thai airport duty free is double the price of a 7-11 corner shop!

I see people buying this 'duty free' crap in airports across the world only to see them having it taken away in another airport when they land.

If you want a bargain you'll never find it in an airport!

WRONG

I will say that it will not happen to me as I do not smoke and do not carry other peoples bag, my girlfriend carries mine.

Perfume,chocolates,electronics,whiskey and cigarettes are the biggest rip off in duty free shops across the world.

A bottle of Johnny Walker in a Thai airport duty free is double the price of a 7-11 corner shop!

I see people buying this 'duty free' crap in airports across the world only to see them having it taken away in another airport when they land.

If you want a bargain you'll never find it in an airport!

Which Johnnie Walker are you talking about? I buy JW Green label in Taiwan for 40.00dollars a liter, have never seen any in Thailand. The same bottle cost over 60.00dollars in the states. Cambodia is the only place I have seen it for the same price as duty free. A bottle of JW black Label now cost 1600baht at a 7/11 booze has gotten very expensive in Thailand after the tax increase.

"Duty free" or not duty free, it is every ones DUTY to know the amount that can be brought into the country. Dont come crying to a forum, that you didnt know, and dont come crying, that the fine was TOO much, when you get caught. Some people make it through customs with more than is legal, but that is their good luck, you may not be as lucky!

Many of the small Thai owned shops are cheaper by the carton, than 7.11 ... Family Mart etc... ... who don't discount for a carton.. wink.png

Agree there are no bargains at Duty Free shops!

Also agree that Thai duty free is a massive ripoff. Cigarettes in Thailand are ridcidulously cheap...90 Baht ( under 3 USD) per pack ( not great quality but acceptable). No need to bring any from home

• 1 month later...

This thread about only bringing 200 cigarettes into Thailand has me thinking.

Upon arriving at BKK on my latest entry last month, I discovered my suitcase was not on the luggage turnstile after all baggage had arrived. I notified the Emirates desk and filled out a missing luggage form and proceeded to my home. Received an SMS late that evening that my bag was received at BKK airport and was delivered to my home the next day. Upon opening the bag, I discovered several items missing among which was one carton of cigarettes. Interestingly, I had packed two cartons but only one was missing.

If it was a thief, why didn't they take both cartons? If it was customs, looks like they took one carton and helped themselves to a few other goodies. I am just curious if this had anything to do with the 200 cigarette limit.

Any other scenarios possible here?

Archived