Possible To Cross Border Overland From Burma To Laos?

missionrat

I am going to be in Burma during January, and while flying in for Bangkok would prefer to cross into Laos overland if possible. I know there are travel restrictions when crossing overland into Burma but is it possible to exit the country via border crossing. Has anyone done this recently? I would even be willing to cross into Thailand and the make my way to the Thai-Laos border if necessary...

Kindly confirm your question is about a Lao-Myanmar land border crossing. Or Myanmar-Laos. You mention Bangkok and I am confused about your itinerary.

There is no problem going from Thailand to Laos, but I think you know that.

Kindly confirm your question is about a Lao-Myanmar land border crossing. Or Myanmar-Laos. You mention Bangkok and I am confused about your itinerary.

Kindly read the thread title crossing from Burma into Laos.

Kindly read the thread title crossing from Burma into Laos.

Yeah, the title says it. Missed that last night.

Sent from my LG-P698f using Thaivisa Connect App

No. It's not possible. The Eastern Shan state is only accessable via the Maesai/Tachileik border and the Burmese immigration state that you must leave via the same crossing. Even if you have a valid Burmese visa, you are not able to use it in Tachileik. You must use a 14 day "Laissez-Passer" border pass issued by the Burmese immigration in Tachileik. You use this on your travels in the Eastern Shan State and your passport remains with the Burmese immigration until you depart over the bridge back to Maesai.

• 3 months later...

No. It's not possible. The Eastern Shan state is only accessable via the Maesai/Tachileik border and the Burmese immigration state that you must leave via the same crossing. Even if you have a valid Burmese visa, you are not able to use it in Tachileik. You must use a 14 day "Laissez-Passer" border pass issued by the Burmese immigration in Tachileik. You use this on your travels in the Eastern Shan State and your passport remains with the Burmese immigration until you depart over the bridge back to Maesai.

Unless you gain permission from the authorities to travel an alternative route.