A Place For Paedophiles - The Buddhist Perspective

DonW

http://watchdocument..._c4b6a62fc.html

http://watchdocument..._c4b6a62fc.html

As I said on another thread, I do a lot of work for the UK probation service (and a little for the French) with regards sex offenders. I am most interested to understand what the Buddhist perspective would be both on these men but also on how the state locks them up post-prison sentence.

How would a Buddist deal with such real situations?

The following is a brave documentary, unafraid to portray sex-offenders as the deeply flawed human beings rather than sub-human bogeymen as is often (perhaps rather conveniently) the case.

In California all prisoners with sexual assault or pedophilia crimes are flagged and reviewed six months prior to parole. To be labeled under the category of SVP an individual must have at least one identified victim, have a serious mental illness (most commonly paraphilia NOS or pedophilia), and must have established a relationship with a person with the intent to cause victimization. Paraphilia NOS is a catch-all diagnosis used to describe most individuals who have committed sexual assault (i.e., rape). Prior to parole, the designation of SVP is assessed by two independent evaluators (licensed mental health professionals). If both evaluators agree that the prisoner meets the criteria he is sent to CSH for treatment. If one agrees and the other does not, an additional two evaluators review the prisoner's history. If those final two reach agreement, the prisoner is then a ward of the state and civilly committed to CSH.

Currently, California law allows SVPs to be committed to the hospital indefinitely (under Jessica's Law) as long as they are receiving 'treatment'. 70% of the 850-plus SVP individuals refuse treatmen, which is intensive, and requires admission of guilt and the use of institutionally mandated language, as well as polygraph. As of November 2007, 26 of the 37 budgeted staff psychiatrist positions were vacant, with some inmates having to camp out waiting for a clinician to show up. As of April 2009 the facility had released only 13 inmates in its history.

What do you think about such institutions.