Foreigners Warned Of Saturday's Anti-Thaksin rally

george

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a prudent cautionary notice from the US Embassy. Although meant to notify Americans, it does matter who your are. It would be safe to avoid these weekly meetings of Khun Sonthi. They have been getting progressively larger and rowdier with anti-Sonthi groups confronting the constitutional rights of Khun Sonthi and his supporters and their freedom of expression.

The May of 92 is still in my memory , curfew , all trafficlights and policebooths in CBD smashed , police n army shooting around , petrol stations closed . no TV programm , blank newspaper and then , after days the announcement about the live broadcast with The King , K.Chamlong and K. Suchinda .

It was close to civil war as the troops in BKK remained confined to their barracks.

Troops from Kabin Buri and Kanchanaburi (Loyal to K.Suchinda) did the fighting . Many are still unaccounted for. Foreigners got also killed.

Army Troops from the North , South and the Navy (Loyal to The King) were ready to "march to BKK".

Better stay away.

The UK police always wait until the demonstrators are small enough in number before they go in with sticks, until that point they do very little in the way of confrontation. The Thai cops are much more likely to take a hand in proceedings, along with the army, with looters following up after they finish. Any demonstration can get rowdy, and the Thais are just a little bit volatile...

When a demonstration becomes a riot, everybody's fair game.

Avoid the whole area!

If there are any farang out there who are thinking on these lines and also believe it will be peaceful

Beware and i would like to offer some simple advice.

Stay indoors or get out of Bangkok for the day, and lie low until after the " peaceful protest has ended. "

In 92 all foreigners where confined to there hotels due to the anticipated trouble the would happen.

Not from the peaceful demonstrators but the Thai Authorities

It was a terrifiying place to be and violent chaos for the innocents.

This is neither America or Europe and if you believe you will be safe among what could ensue you haven,t been in Thailand long enough.

Plan for a day indoors and anything you need to do get it out of the way either before or after.

I took a smuggled a video out of the country that was taken from the hotel window, showing the reality of what happened.

None of my friends could believe what was filmed and thought it wasn,t possible as

" Thailand is a democratic country. "

Not my observation but theirs and it was frightening stuff beleive me.

So take on board all advice offered on this topic similar to the above and pass the word around to others please.

Better safe than sorry.

marshbags :o:D:D

marshbags

================================================================

Marshbags, I totally concur ! ! I was also here during that '92 'fracas' and lety me assure you; you don't want to be anywhere near this potential "happening".

Toxin being the devious little "leader" that he is, may very well find a profitable reason to 'incite' these peaceful protesters and paint them into "rioters". "Rioter" and "terrorist" are both very negativelly connotated, which could well result in a fierce physical "confrontation (viz. engineered by the "Leader") to justify the use of force and thus make that same "Leader" look very good . . . don't give him a reason and certainly don't discount the possibilities !

The second reason why (in my humble opinion) farangs should not attend such an event is because let's not forget that we are mere guests in this country and the politics of this Kingdom have absolutely nothing to do with us.

Show you respect for the Kingdom and save yourself a heck of a lot of potential trouble at the same time: stay away and just watch it on TV.

Carpe Diem !

i thought Americans liked fighting :D

:o Only a real WANCKER would make this kind of infantile comment ! ! :D

why is it infantile is it because you dont like people comparing the truth of what you have done?

================================================================

'schmokinn' wrote:

why is it infantile is it because you dont like people comparing the truth of what you have done?

You are certainly no Churchill, mate; what the heck are you trying to convey here ? ? ? ?

If you have nothing better to do, why don;t you pick up a book and get educated . . . . . . . . .

Then there were two (2) wanckers on this board !

:D

hi'

it' a good Thai advice, stay home you foreigners so police can shoot freely ...

they don't need to worry about you and they already don't, but blood of foreigners on the footpath would be disturbing ...

if I were you I would go with a good camera and take some good sequences

on how it' going to be :o

francois

It's nice to see the US Embassy adding a humorous element by suggesting asking the Royal Thai Police for assistance in leaving the demonstration. During the demonstrations against the Suchinda government in 1992, the police and army deliberately aimed at foreigners with cameras, suspecting them of being journalists. At least one foreign tourist was shot and killed by them and others injured not to mention genuine Thai journalists who were killed, blinded etc by the security forces.

Not foreigners warned, but Americans :-)

This is a Warden's Notice from the US Embassy to US citizens in BKK.

Perhaps that is why it addresses concern for US citizens???

What is your embassy saying? :o

His embassy is probally telling him to go :D

Italian embassy does not care nor warned Italian citizens here in Bkk! But had warned us of SILVIO BERLUSCONI! And hey, these 2 Prime Ministers can make a good pair together!!!!!

Man I'm not sure who's more dangerous, Berlusconi or Thaksin, the thing I know is at least in Italy you can buy gas anytime you want. :o

Only my gut feeling: but I bet nothing happens. People will turn up. A few angry words will be said, and people will go home. Sondhi ain't all he is cracked up to be.

Has anybody actually seen the video footage of the 1992 Demonstration/massacre? The thais like to play down a bit don't they!

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Anyone seen if other embassies are issuing warnings?

Me - I just wish I could get down for it, but am stuck in Chiangers this weekend with visitors from afar.

what are you smoking that stimulates your imagination?

:D:o Nothing about this on the British EMbassy website. Ho hum.

To be expected, Brits don't suffer from panic syndrome. Remember after 9/11 most US citizens were afraid to fly but it had little impact in the UK, just created a lot of derision and some hilarious cartoons.

About the earlier demonstrations I believe they were student demonstrations but this forthcoming one seems to be more general. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Lecturers, students protest against Singapore

BANGKOK: -- A group of some 10 people rallied in front of the Singapore Embassy on Thursday to protest against Temasek Holdings' takeover of Shin Corp.

The protesters included Weera Somkwamkid and lecturers and students of Rangsit University.

They demonstrated in front of the embassy at 4 pm for about an hour, carrying banner saying "Singapore should stop taking over Thailand".

--The Nation 2006-02-02

Not foreigners warned, but Americans :-)

This is a Warden's Notice from the US Embassy to US citizens in BKK.

Perhaps that is why it addresses concern for US citizens???

What is your embassy saying? :D

My embassy? eerm nothing I've heard of so far... BTW who is Sonthi?

Italian embassy does not care nor warned Italian citizens here in Bkk! But had warned us of SILVIO BERLUSCONI! And hey, these 2 Prime Ministers can make a good pair together!!!!!

Man I'm not sure who's more dangerous, Berlusconi or Thaksin, the thing I know is at least in Italy you can buy gas anytime you want. :o

Good question... all I know is that Themasek (the mothercompany of PSA) has just bought up Taksin's company for 1.5 Billion Euros... so he's got some money to spare...

Next on our list: P&O Ports... but Dubai is raising the stakes.

SD

Can't believe some of the comments. This is a simple advisory warning for the people who might not be in the loop enough to know what's happening and wonder into something they may regret. It's no more or less important than a weather or travel advisory that roads may be icy and to avoid traveling unless necessary.

If you want to go or have a reaosn to go--then go. However, you might want to save your shopping in the neighborhood for another day.

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Anyone seen if other embassies are issuing warnings?

Me - I just wish I could get down for it, but am stuck in Chiangers this weekend with visitors from afar.

Oh yes, I'm sure you're right because any good terrorist or "AQ and JI agent-provocateur" can spot an American Farang versus say any other Farang that may be inadvertantly present during the rally then isolate and attack them alone. Very good insight you have into the mindset of the U.S. govt and Embassy when you refer to those "paranoid peeps" in the cubicles.

Thanks for that info, I'll be sure not to wear my passport on my shirt while attending the rally as I had previously planned.

Lecturers, students protest against Singapore

BANGKOK: -- A group of some 10 people rallied in front of the Singapore Embassy on Thursday to protest against Temasek Holdings' takeover of Shin Corp.

The protesters included Weera Somkwamkid and lecturers and students of Rangsit University.

They demonstrated in front of the embassy at 4 pm for about an hour, carrying banner saying "Singapore should stop taking over Thailand".

--The Nation 2006-02-02

Totally agree, should leave all that sort of stuff to the Chinese :o