Foreigners Warned Of Saturday's Anti-Thaksin rally

george

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened in '73? 92?

protests can be peaceful, ya know?? Perhaps I am naive; but, are people suggesting there will be a crackdown on the crackdown protest?

If there are any farang out there who are thinking on these lines and also believe it will be peaceful

Beware and i would like to offer some simple advice.

Stay indoors or get out of Bangkok for the day, and lie low until after the " peaceful protest has ended. "

In 92 all foreigners where confined to there hotels due to the anticipated trouble that would happen.

Not from the peaceful demonstrators but the Thai Authorities

It was a terrifiying place to be and violent chaos for the innocents.

This is neither America or Europe and if you believe you will be safe among what could ensue you haven,t been in Thailand long enough.

Plan for a day indoors and anything you need to do get it out of the way either before or after.

I took a smuggled a video out of the country that was taken from the hotel window, showing the reality of what happened.

None of my friends could believe what was filmed and thought it wasn,t possible as

" Thailand is a democratic country. "

Not my observation but theirs and it was frightening stuff beleive me.

So take on board all advice offered on this topic similar to the above and pass the word around to others please.

Better safe than sorry.

marshbags :o:D:D

I was there at the time. Foreigners weren't specifically targeted. Though one foreigner was murdered. http://angkor.com/2bangkok/2bangkok/blackm...lackmay05.shtml

I certainly wasn't confined to my hotel. I did hear talk of a curfew. There were tanks rolling by as I walked down the street. It was my first time in Bangkok, so I had no inclination to stay inside.

Travel advisories from the US State Dept and its embassies are routine. Nothing more. I think last year they even issued a warning about the high level of violent crime in England and Scotland (which is higher than the US according to the UN).

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Are you NUTZ?

Do you really believe that groups of Thai moslims dare to join this crowds and do you believe that if they are there they dare to turn themselfs against (american)Farangs ??

I,m sure that Farangs will be absolutly safe.

Why is it that the socalled worlds greatest nation is scared like hel_l once outside the borders of the USA,maybe a lack of interest in international foreign politics?

If I was a yank I would definately take heed and steer clear. Anyway why would any American in their right mind want to go anywhere near.

Gaz mentioned Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments.........I'm a Scot and we are probaly the least hated nation in the world and I wouldn't go near unless I was out to antagonise

Just can't imagine some American guy waking up in the morning and thinking......"Yo Mofo! gonna be a load of Arabs down the road" " think I'll go see if they want a piece of me"...........better of heading to a beer garden and get laid before they close them all :0)

Encouraging people NOT to go is exactly what Thaksin wants.... His camp is the one feeding the rumour mill that things will turn violent or that "third parties" will encite violence...

He's operating in panic mode now... and where will he be?

In chiang mai opening up the night safari zoo...

:o

I suspect the US Embassy is suffering post "State of the Nation" jitters and expect a strong Muslim contingent to join the demonstration, and the paranoid peeps from the underground cubicles have wound them up that it'll be infiltrated by AQ and JI agent-provocateurs ... therefore they're warning Americans to stay away in case of Afghan/Iran/Iraq sentiments leading to assaults on their citizens.

Are you NUTZ?

Do you really believe that groups of Thai moslims dare to join this crowds and do you believe that if they are there they dare to turn themselfs against (american)Farangs ??

Why is it that the socalled worlds greatest nation is scared like hel_l once outside the borders of the USA,maybe a lack of interest in international foreign politics?

I hardly think he's NUTZ......I think there are more than a few NUTZ around in Thailand having met a couple on a bridge in nearby Ramkanhaeng..They were sporting their Osama T-shirts and politely asked us if we liked Mr Bin Laden........We just bit our tongues and walked on (took some doing I can tell you)......if the wrong lot are around and some big Californian starts mouthing off?.........C'mon it only takes one guy to start it mate when you got 100,000 people gathered and Bingo!.....there is something about safety in numbers that makes idiot do crazy things...whether it be demonstartions football matches or whtever ......it happens worldwide everyday......If you think it can't happen in Thailand and being a farang protects you....mate your dreaming.........only an idiot would want to go within a mile of the place.

Memories of 92, they differ. i certainly don't remember being confined to a hotel, I CAN remember retreating into the Royal Hotel which served as a makeshift treatment centre for the demonstrators. With Saturdays events in mind its worth remembering as bad as the violence was it would have been a lot worse without the presence of farangs, more than one or two hid students in their rooms and refused entry to the troops.

Thie event will be heavily policed, not well policed, a crucial difference so there is little chance of it not ending in violence. Given its proximity to tourist areas there seems to be little doubt that they will get caught up in it.

I for one think the US warning was a good idea, given the global unpopularity of the US a rally of munchkins protesting about chocolate price increases could quickly turn anti-American.

there must be a bar somewhere, that will let us drink till the party (demostration) is over, then we can all get to read about it a day or so later (seems a bit like a Tottenham and Millwall match really, bound to be a shade of claret on the streets)

And as I havent been invited, I wont be going, and I'm a bit old to be a student anyway, so I guess I'll have a few beers and have an early night

of course Americans like fighting, they go anywhere for a scrap, they dont REALLY want to comeback to Asia, they came second last time

there must be a bar somewhere, that will let us drink till the party (demostration) is over, then we can all get to read about it a day or so later (seems a bit like a Tottenham and Millwall match really, bound to be a shade of claret on the streets)

And as I havent been invited, I wont be going, and I'm a bit old to be a student anyway, so I guess I'll have a few beers and have an early night

of course Americans like fighting, they go anywhere for a scrap, they dont REALLY want to comeback to Asia, they came second last time

Another glib posting about what is essentially a very grave matter......obviously, there are more than a few posters on this forum who don't give an iota about anything or anyone except themselves........SAD.......

Encouraging people NOT to go is exactly what Thaksin wants.... His camp is the one feeding the rumour mill that things will turn violent or that "third parties" will encite violence...

He's operating in panic mode now... and where will he be?

In chiang mai opening up the night safari zoo...

Now, now, that's a tad unfair. He is also opening the flower festival. And he can't cancel now anyway - they have just finished filling up the moat and all the fountains are switched on! (I'm not joking, they really have filled the moat)

Not foreigners warned, but Americans :-)

This is an announcement from U.S. Ambassy, of course it is targeted to Americans. Why would U.S. Ambassy care about foreigners from other countries in Thailand? Those foreigns are none of U.S. Ambassy's bussiness anyway.

Are you NUTZ?

I hardly think he's NUTZ......I think there are more than a few NUTZ around in Thailand having met a couple on a bridge in nearby Ramkanhaeng..They were sporting their Osama T-shirts and politely asked us if we liked Mr Bin Laden........We just bit our tongues and walked on (took some doing I can tell you)......if the wrong lot are around and some big Californian starts mouthing off?.........C'mon it only takes one guy to start it mate when you got 100,000 people gathered and Bingo!.....there is something about safety in numbers that makes idiot do crazy things...whether it be demonstartions football matches or whtever ......it happens worldwide everyday......If you think it can't happen in Thailand and being a farang protects you....mate your dreaming.........only an idiot would want to go within a mile of the place.

history is resplendent with brave acts.... not so with much with cowards, however... :D

geez...afraid of a bin laden t-shirt???

spot on sri racha john - Thaksin and his cohorts absolutely don't want anything to "kick-off" on Saturday. In fact, as has been mentioned earlier, he and his "esteemed" wife have been in damge control exercise for the last few days.

These are very, very clever people we are talking about, and just like everything else that they have to deal with on a day - to - day basis, they're are taking account of stock....and making the best possible decision with the information at their disposal at that particular moment. (which is quite considerable)

Saturday is going to be a massive damage limitation exercise......i.e. the police and government and provincial governors, and who else, will do their up-most to make sure that as few people as possible will be able to get to the pre-arranged meet! And if they're lucky enough to make it there, they will be met with unprecedented numbers of police officers, charged with an order to maintain order at any cost!

Politically, Jaruwan's reinstatement and other political overtures in the last few days support this.

What Thaksin wants......Thaksin gets......

BUT.....having said all of this.....there could definitely be developments in the next few days which are not to his advantage!

These are volatile days for Thaksin and Thailand!

Remember after the subway bombings when Taksin issued the warning for Thai citizens to avoid the UK because it is too dangerous. Perhap Blair should return the favor. It would quickly send a message for Taksin to behave this weekend.

Many Thai people are afraid to go to the US because they perceive that it is too dangerous. They think Americans live under the constant threat of terrorist attacks.

Lucky me I get the regular email updates from the embassy :D

Anyway hot off the press.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thailand

This advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Summary, Terrorism/Security, Crime, and Natural Disasters sections. The overall level of the advice has not changed.

etc

etc

etc

etc

:o ah !

A large political rally is scheduled for 4 February 2006 at King Rama V monument in the vicinity of the national zoo and Parliament buiding in Bangkok. This could cause congestion and disruption. You should avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There ya go

They get there in the end

:D

spot on sri racha john - Thaksin and his cohorts absolutely don't want anything to "kick-off" on Saturday. In fact, as has been mentioned earlier, he and his "esteemed" wife have been in damge control exercise for the last few days.

These are very, very clever people we are talking about, and just like everything else that they have to deal with on a day - to - day basis, they're are taking account of stock....and making the best possible decision with the information at their disposal at that particular moment. (which is quite considerable)

Saturday is going to be a massive damage limitation exercise......i.e. the police and government and provincial governors, and who else, will do their up-most to make sure that as few people as possible will be able to get to the pre-arranged meet! And if they're lucky enough to make it there, they will be met with unprecedented numbers of police officers, charged with an order to maintain order at any cost!

Politically, Jaruwan's reinstatement and other political overtures in the last few days support this.

What Thaksin wants......Thaksin gets......

BUT.....having said all of this.....there could definitely be developments in the next few days which are not to his advantage!

These are volatile days for Thaksin and Thailand!

Here's an a nice article that supplements what you are saying:

Government going for broke to undermine Sondhi’s rally

Backlash from Shin deal has PM, Pojaman scrambling to placate critics ahead of media mogul’s Saturday assembly. The government is obviously worried about the rally to be spearheaded by media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul, whose sole mission is to force Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra out of office. It has done everything it can to ensure fewer people join the rally.

What the government fears most is not the revelations by Sondhi that will make people take to the street to oust it from office, but the consequences of its own actions. The massive Shin Corp sale has been the talk of the town and the enormous amount of money involved has raised many eyebrows. Why did the family members of Thaksin Shinawatra pay only Bt25 million in value added tax from the Bt73 billion sale.

Thaksin, who is usually swift to answer every question in order to display his decisiveness and efficiency, kept his lips sealed before and after the Shin sale and has refused to address the tax issues surrounding it.

However, as the heavy media scrutiny into the tax-evasion allegations against him strengthened, Thaksin caved in. Yesterday he had his lawyer Suvarn Valaisathien answer questions from the media - for no other reason than to diminish the public’s desire to join Sondhi supporters’ because of alleged irregularities in the historic deal.

Although Suvarn’s press conference still leaves knots to be untangled, it will not change the minds of people intending to go to the Royal Plaza.

More damning evidence that the government is concerned about the gathering was to suddenly reinstate Khunying Jaruvan Maithaka as auditor-general.

Even though Thaksin had denied all along that he had nothing to do with the saga involving the auditor-general, on January 26 he sent a letter to State Audit Commission chairman Norachai Sripimol asking him to reinstate Jaruvan. It was not the first time that Thaksin has given such conflicting statements. Despite saying that he was not involved in the controversy, he had earlier telephoned Jaruvan in an attempt to lobby her to leave the post.

Why did Thaksin suddenly change his mind on Jaruvan? The answer is easy: to reduce the “level of mercury’’ in the anti-Thaksin groups. Jaruvan lit the fire concerning Royal powers that has been used by Sondhi’s allies to try and oust Thaksin. Reinstating Jaruvan will remove the allegation that the government challenged Royal powers.

The next move showing the government wants to reduce the public anger was to cut red tape in the selection of the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC).

The government supported the move to reconvene the Parliament to resolve the NCCC nomination process. The Election Commission’s (EC) disqualification of MPs will also be announced this week, as the government has been attacked for alleged interference in independent bodies such as the EC.

Political analysts believe the juicy political news that some Bangkok MPs will get red cards will reduce the media coverage of Shin Corp deal, which has taken up significant newspaper space.

Pojaman, Thaksin’s wife, is obviously in hot water over the rally to oust Thaksin as she called a meeting of Thai Rak Thai Party leaders at Ban Phitsanulok to block Sondhi’s supporters. At the meeting it was decided that the Interior minister would order governors across the country to stop provincial people from joining the rally.

If Thaksin survives the political uprising led by Sondhi on Saturday, he may be in for another court battle on charges of asset concealment or tax evasion in connection with Shin sale.

:o:D

moin...

on which tv-channel they bring some LIVE or

can i look with google-earth ? whats the data's ?

but... when something happen they have next week a VCD :D

REVOLUTION :D:D:D

Any ASTV Channel (Sondhi's) will surely brodcast the event live. Unless someone decides once again that they don't have permission to broadcast a live event like they did for one of his road shows ...

The following is from an email on safety in Thailand issued by the British embassy

Dated 02-02-2006 17.45

A large political rally is scheduled for 4 February 2006 at King Rama V monument in the vicinity of the national zoo and Parliament buiding in Bangkok. This could cause congestion and disruption. You should avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

This email is sent to anyone who wishes to apply for one on a regular basis.

Two phrases come to my mind, " common sense " and " stay indoors "

After the 92 situation several of us talked about what happened.

It was terrifying we all agreed and dangerous.

Some of us where not allowed out of our hotels while others where advised to stay in the hotel.

There where several videos shot and we watched them later in the confides of our homes.

They where taken to our overseas destinations when we visited them.

It comes down to the Thai interpretation of the instructions given re. confinement

Let us all hope for the sake of ordinary Thai people the day is uneventful and it turns out o.k. for them :o

I,m sure all members would wish for that no matter what your take on the situation is. :D

marshbags :D:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Interior minister insisted that the government did not release rumors about southern insurgents' possible attacks during Feb 4 rally to hinder the demonstration.

Interior Minister Kongsak Wantana (คงศักดิ์ วันทนา) insisted that the government did not release rumors that southern insurgents will stage chaos during the February 4 rally to hinder the demonstration.

The Interior Minister said that the government did not release the news to dissuade people from joining the rally, adding that related officials have been instructed to check the information and monitor the situation.

Meanwhile, Army Chief General Sondhi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) said that it is unlikely that the insurgents can carry out attacks in Bangkok as they are not familiar with the areas, adding that the army headquarters in Bangkok will monitor the situation, therefore, he said that the people should not worry about the rumor.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 03 Febuary 2006

Not foreigners warned, but Americans :-)

The British embassy warning is less dramatic

"A large political rally is scheduled for 4 February 2006 at King Rama V monument in the vicinity of the national zoo and Parliament buiding in Bangkok. This could cause congestion and disruption. You should avoid large crowds and demonstrations.

Foreign Minister indicated that the US' warning to tourists against approaching the rally venue tomorrow is normal.

Foreign Affairs Minister Kantathi Supamongkol (กันตธีร์ ศุภมงคล) indicated the US Embassy’s warnings for American tourists against approaching the rally venue on February 4 is considered normal.

Dr. Kantathi said that the US Embassy has issued warnings for American tourists against approaching the mass rally planned by Mr. Sondhi Limthorngkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) on February 4 at the Royal Plaza. However, he said that the warning is normal, adding that no country wants its citizens to get involved with political rally in other countries. He added that he hoped no violence will occur in this rally, but said that the government will not have to give special explanations on this case, as he believed the US will understand. He added that the rally is similar to the demonstrations in Chiang Mai against the Thai-US FTAs talks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Army commander insisted that it is unlikely that insurgents will cause problems during tomorrow's rally.

Army commander General Sondhi Boonyaratglin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) insisted that the reports on the southern insurgents’ planned movements to stir disorder during the February 4th rally are not true, asking all sides to believe in the officials’ operations.

Udornthani MP from Thai Rak Thai party, Dr. Wichai Chaijitwanichkul (วิชัย ชัยจิตวนิชกุล) earlier stated that insurgents from the three southernmost provinces will come to Bangkok to stir chaos on February 4 rally. However, General Sondhi said that is unlikely to occur, as the insurgents are not familiar with the areas, making it difficult for them to carry out attacks.

As for reports that 25 JI members have come to establish a camp in the southern provinces, General Sondhi said that the report is also unlikely. However, he said that related agencies in the region have been ordered to follow the news closely. He requested that all sides not worry about the issue.

PM insisted he will not resign.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat insisted that he will not resign from his premiership, adding that he is not worried about the planned rally organized by media tycoon Sondhi Limthorngkul (สนธิ ลิ้มทองกุล) tomorrow.

Professors from the Rattanabandit (รัตนบัณฑิต) University or RBAC, headed by the university’s rector, Assistant Professor Sunee Sintudecha (สุนีย์ สินธุเดชะ) presented bouquets to the premier at the Government House yesterday, to demonstrate their support for the prime minister to continue his work. Prime Minister Thaksin thanked the delegates, adding that he will explain all issues clearly to the people during “the Prime Minister Thaksin Talks to the People” radio program this Saturday. He said that he hopes to make the people understand all issues, as some media have distorted facts and details to mislead the people. He said that the media should be neutral and report facts to the people who will be the judge of all cases.

Prime Minister Thaksin admitted that he is tired, but he must work to the best of his abilities as Prime Minister for the benefit of all Thai people. He asked the professors to work their best to teach the country’s youngsters.

Prime Minister Thaksin also insisted that he will not resign from his post, adding that everything will follow the law. He added that he is not worried about Mr. Sondhi’s rally planned for tomorrow.

Despite calls to resign, PM reiterates he won't call it quits

BANGKOK: -- Reacting to mounting calls by academics for his resignation, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Thursday reiterated he would not do that, but would continue to perform his duty to the utmost as entrusted by the 19 million citizens who voted for his Thai Rak Thai (TRT) Party.

He said that on Dec 4, His Majesty the King gave a royal instruction for all Thai people to unify.

"In the democratic system, we must respect opinions of the majority, while paying attention to the minority. But it is not right if a handful of people come out and do something to please themselves," he told journalists here.

Mr. Thaksin pledged he would perform his duty to the utmost and would talk and explain a lot to the public during his "The Prime Minister Talks to People" programme this Saturday because many issues being publicised now are so distorted.

The prime minister said that some media members intended to report news in a distorted manner, but that most reported in an ethical manner.

"The media should act as a go-between and allow the public to decide. They should not act a critic." Mr. Thaksin said. "Some [reporters] do not want to understand although we try to explain. But there are some who really do not understand.

"We have been elected by up to 19 million voters and so must do the job for the common benefit," the prime minister explained. "Of course, there are 7 million people who voted for the opposition Democrat Party, but the number is less than ours. All must accept the rules of society," he said.

Asked to comment regarding a rumour that he planned to resign, and that it caused panic-selling of

shares on the stock market, the premier said laughingly: "Wait for the next life. Everything must play

by the rules."

--TNA 2006-02-03

There where several videos shot and we watched them later in the confides of our homes.

They where taken to our overseas destinations when we visited them.

If anything does happen tomorrow, will CAT 'accidentally' close the international gateway? In 1992, it wouldn't have been easy to send video out, etc. but these days, it can be on the net in minutes.