Thai Woman Nabbed At Suvarnabhumi Airport With 4Kg 'ice'

webfact

why not let this lady thru then follow her and catch the big guys ?????

Because they are the big guys!

It works like this ;

A small fry gets tricked into carrying 2-4 kilo's,by some gang.

gets caught with it ,

and meanwhile a container full of this ice shit gets waived through by customs them selfs.

they are just used as decoy's.

I don't want to make light of this lady's problem, but the diversion, reminds me of the Cheech and Chong movie "Up in Smoke". They are driving a van entirely made of Pot across the Mexican USA border. They get stopped and are about to be busted when right next to them a station wagon full of nuns gets busted because Chong tossed a big fat joint into their car. Cops and dogs run over to the nun's car. The van drives away.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this does seem like a plausible thing to do, check out the the US DEA fast and furious drama that has played out the last years but even if you were willing to take the heat of some kid od'ing and dying from the drugs not confiscated, you would need to know she was carrying them well before her plane landed and you would have to have undercover officers ready and on call at the airport unless you could find a way to delay this women for hours, without causing suspicion, as they get the man power set up to follow her from the airport whether by taxi or by train or personal vehicle. Then you have to hope that the few minutes you can't see her every move while in a bathroom or at her hotel or whatever that you don't lose track of the drugs because if you do then you will have no case against anybody and very little chance of getting this women to talk. And if the likely didn't go wrong and you found the person she handed the drugs off to, there is little chance he is much more of a player than she is and it is not going to lead to the king pins as the only thing flowing to them is the money.

Well done BIB. Time for the narcotic prevention bureau to do its job -> maximum penalty: death sentence to be set as an example. There is no excuse at all for distribution of such a nasty drug.

Edited by yoslim

While this does seem like a plausible thing to do, check out the the US DEA fast and furious drama that has played out the last years but even if you were willing to take the heat of some kid od'ing and dying from the drugs not confiscated, you would need to know she was carrying them well before her plane landed and you would have to have undercover officers ready and on call at the airport unless you could find a way to delay this women for hours, without causing suspicion, as they get the man power set up to follow her from the airport whether by taxi or by train or personal vehicle. Then you have to hope that the few minutes you can't see her every move while in a bathroom or at her hotel or whatever that you don't lose track of the drugs because if you do then you will have no case against anybody and very little chance of getting this women to talk. And if the likely didn't go wrong and you found the person she handed the drugs off to, there is little chance he is much more of a player than she is and it is not going to lead to the king pins as the only thing flowing to them is the money.

In this day and age are you suggesting they couldn't have planted a tracking device while doing a cursory search of her suitcase? A few people here have suggested that the customs must have had an idea she was carrying or are we to believe the Philippines security are that lax. I think 4Kg of ice surely can't have just slipped past.

Well done BIB. Time for the narcotic prevention bureau to do its job -> maximum penalty: death sentence to be set as an example. There is no excuse at all for distribution of such a nasty drug.

Another one on the hang 'em high bandwagon. The only danger posed by drugs is their prohibition and hence their control passed to unscrupulous gangs and crime lords. By supporting this 'war on drugs' nonsense you are playing right into their hands.

• Like 1

I wonder why the mule doesn't employ a another mule that not even the people she works for knows about to be on the plane and the first mule picks up her bag instead of her own. The Police concentrating on getting their big drug bust wave everyone else through including the second mule and the first mule although stopped walks through clean and clear.

Because if the first mule had money to buy the second mule a plane ticket the first mule would not be a mule in the first place.

In this day and age are you suggesting they couldn't have planted a tracking device while doing a cursory search of her suitcase? A few people here have suggested that the customs must have had an idea she was carrying or are we to believe the Philippines security are that lax. I think 4Kg of ice surely can't have just slipped past.

Again, they would have had to know she was coming with drugs and despite what posters here may speculate about the Philipines letting people go through their airport with drugs, the article makes no suggestion this happened.

Again, you would need to delay this person without suspicion to plant such a device and the device would need to be in each package of drug to keep track of them all and you would still need to have a visual of the drugs and people involved and would still need man power (plus technology now) available on a spur of the moment but more importantly what would be gained by the risk of letting the drugs go missing and no arrest and leverage of this person when the person who would next take possession of the drugs (not necessarily the suitcase) would not be the mastermind of the operation and probably just another low level carrier? A lot to loose in this approach and little to gain. It is great to comment and speculate as we all do but regardless of the superior insecure crowd who believes they know more about the laws, law enforcement, evidence collection, building a case for prosecution, gaining intelligence on drug rings and so on ... I will leave it to the professionals and not those whose knowledge come from their back side or the latest crime dramas on TV.

FYI, tons of drugs at airports are seized each year from passengers (in similar situations as reported in the OP) at airports in richer countries with greater technology, more resources, better trained, equipped and funded police forces and I have never once heard of any passenger getting tracking devices put in the drugs but have read many reports of these passenger being detained and arrested right at the airport.

So what is the usual sentence for this one ?

Death if she doesn't cooperate but the chances it would be carried out are slim ... chances are she will do 7 to 10 years but certainly could do more.

She will never see the freedom again, if she plead guilty, get life imprisonnement, if not, death penalty.

Yes of course! How is it possible for aThai national to take such a risk ? They are supposed to know the laws in LOS

The thing that makes the most fear, is if it's possible you can get put drugs in yours luggages without knowledge AFTER the baggage check-in, by some baggage handlers or some dishonest or corrupted police...

That make me always affraid really.. also I need to plan soon to do BANGKOK to CLARK(Philippines) back to BANGKOK... scary if they're do counterband into baggages of innocent people, also are not mule until check-in..

Edited by Danielsiam

Why many people here feel sad about this poor woman but not for the bad iranian?? The aswer is clear and easy. Because women are usually more debil than men. I join to the people that feel sad with the thai woman. Unfortunately the girl will never talk about who gave her the drug. Im sure the spoke contract say that if you give that information to the police all your family will ...

Most of the time te police seem to know they are coming when they arrest people at airports. The Police concentrating on getting their big drug bust wave everyone else through including the second mule and the first mule although stopped walks through clean and clear.

Makes you think indeed, could the mule be a decoy with her 4 kilos...

While police is waiting for the 4 kg named mule, another nice "mule" family with 3 of 4 luggage at max allowance of 20kg per person could be on the same plane and exit very safely smile.png

5 to 10% lost might be bargain for drug rings so they can pass 40 to 80 kg without risk smile.png

this is how its done !

Same deal with shipping companies.

Another young desperate going to lose her life to incarceration over drugs. Drugs are the total degeneration of our society here and abroad. The manufacturers should be summarily executed as there will always be people willing to transport it and they care nothing about either them or the end user. This is a form of human trafficking in its own right.

Tottally agree , I lost my younger brother to a Herion overdose when he was only 21. He was the end result of the trafficking.

Again, they would have had to know she was coming with drugs and despite what posters here may speculate about the Philipines letting people go through their airport with drugs, the article makes no suggestion this happened.

Hi Nisa, I accept your points and yes I'm an armchair Sherlock Holmeswink.png but it's a known fact that drug smugglers are always intercepted at the destination and not the departure point. People are subject to the same scrutiny at both ends so why do you think this is? basically you are technically not smuggling until you leave the country so it's a better bust at the arrival point - smuggling and possession as opposed to just possession. As for the sting operation that really comes down to police motivation because as I pointed out the technology is there and a bug can be so small that you can't tell me a trained customs officer doing a sham search couldn't plant a device in the womans luggage? just have another officer divert her attention by asking routine questions etc and you could plant an elephant without the suspect knowing - people (even innocents) are very nervous at customs and are not thinking 100%.

Anyway I believe that the departing airports pass on the intel and the police here are not interested in catching the kingpins but are content with back patting headlines. That's why I think this 'war on drugs' is just another load of political flim-flam and the victims are the public for believing this crap and the desperate drug mules who are pawns in a game.

Edited by sysardman

Hi Nisa, I accept your points and yes I'm an armchair Sherlock Holmeswink.png but it's a known fact that drug smugglers are always intercepted at the destination and not the departure point. People are subject to the same scrutiny at both ends so why do you think this is? basically you are technically not smuggling until you leave the country so it's a better bust at the arrival point - smuggling and possession as opposed to just possession.

This is not true. Trafficking is generally the charge and this is a charge you can receive walking down the street. The charges that are filed are filed under the country / state laws and not some Global Law. So, if you get caught say in the US leaving for Thailand with a good amount of drugs you are going to face trafficking charges just as you would coming into the US. The same is true for for Thailand. The penalties may be different and the charges called something else but people get busted at airports going in and going out. Bottom line is don't kid yourself, people are busted all the time for smuggling attempting to leave a country ... was fairly common years ago back in Thailand when the country was a big heroin producer and believe a number of books and movies have been made about people who found themselves in such a position. One such story ... http://en.wikipedia..../Sandra_Gregory

I would be curious if there is some bust on record anywhere in the world where local authorities at an airport discover drugs in a routine search/x-ray of a bag of a passenger and then planted a tracking device in the bag to follow the passenger. I just don't think it has ever happened for numerous reasons.

Edited by Nisa

Another young desperate going to lose her life to incarceration over drugs. Drugs are the total degeneration of our society here and abroad. The manufacturers should be summarily executed as there will always be people willing to transport it and they care nothing about either them or the end user. This is a form of human trafficking in its own right.

"The manufacturers should be summarily executed" I agree wholeheartedly!

All well and good but they never catch them do they? only the mug mules.

Very true, unfortunately. I wonder why that is?

Hi Nisa, I accept your points and yes I'm an armchair Sherlock Holmeswink.png but it's a known fact that drug smugglers are always intercepted at the destination and not the departure point. People are subject to the same scrutiny at both ends so why do you think this is? basically you are technically not smuggling until you leave the country so it's a better bust at the arrival point - smuggling and possession as opposed to just possession.

This is not true. Trafficking is generally the charge and this is a charge you can receive walking down the street. The charges that are filed are filed under the country / state laws and not some Global Law. So, if you get caught say in the US leaving for Thailand with a good amount of drugs you are going to face trafficking charges just as you would coming into the US. The same is true for for Thailand. The penalties may be different and the charges called something else but people get busted at airports going in and going out. Bottom line is don't kid yourself, people are busted all the time for smuggling attempting to leave a country ... was fairly common years ago back in Thailand when the country was a big heroin producer and believe a number of books and movies have been made about people who found themselves in such a position. One such story ... http://en.wikipedia..../Sandra_Gregory

I would be curious if there is some bust on record anywhere in the world where local authorities at an airport discover drugs in a routine search/x-ray of a bag of a passenger and then planted a tracking device in the bag to follow the passenger. I just don't think it has ever happened for numerous reasons.

Still not convinced by your arguments, I'd say many more are caught arriving than departing. The Gregory case you're quoting was a sour grapes case by somebody snitching and it was hardly a major smuggling case - she was carrying her boyfriends stash.

As for the planting bugs is clear evidence that despite all the crap about fighting 'war on drugs' they only move when evidence is put under their noses. Investigation is too much hard work and might lead back to the kingpins who are more than likely police chiefs or politicians anyway.

Tottally agree , I lost my younger brother to a Herion overdose when he was only 21. He was the end result of the trafficking.

I sympathise for your loss but isn't it a perfect example for legalisation, people only overdose because they are unsure of the quality of the product or whether it's been mixed with drain cleaner or rat poison or any other rubbish added by people who only see dollar signs and not human lives.

PS One of my pals died of Heroin overdose but not for the above reasons, the guy was happy as a sand boy and could function as well as any Joe Normal but killed himself because of constant harassment from the police. He wasn't a kingpin or drug baron but was a known user and was hounded like a dog.

Edited by sysardman

WOW...I must say havent see any comments from the hang em high brigade...if this was an Iranian, Nigerian etc I am sure they would be out in force, calling for their immediate execution... but all I am seeing is sympathy and excuses for a drug smuggler...who knew exactly what they were doing and they got caught

Hang 'em high! Satisfied?smile.png

WOW...I must say havent see any comments from the hang em high brigade...if this was an Iranian, Nigerian etc I am sure they would be out in force, calling for their immediate execution... but all I am seeing is sympathy and excuses for a drug smuggler...who knew exactly what they were doing and they got caught

Hang 'em high! Satisfied?smile.png

The ship of fools now boarding at pier 7 - all aboard

She will never see the freedom again, if she plead guilty, get life imprisonnement, if not, death penalty.

Really ? Wow thats a hard lesson to learn.

There's no excuse for these people but I can't help feeling that some of these drug-mules are also victims of the drug trade. IMHO I would have thought a stiff sentence of say 5-10 years would be more than sufficient (personal opinion only mind)

You'd think the death penalty would be sufficient enough of a deterrent, but it isn't. They don't mess around with this kind of thing in other parts of the world. Look at Singapore. There are several signs in plain view of airport passengers that drug smuggling of any kind will result in the death penalty. But it still happens. IMHO, bring back extrajudicial shootings and be done with them.

Same in Bali although there its something along the lines of Welcome to Bali.....Warning DEATH PENALTY for Drug Smuggling ........Enjoy your Holiday

Quite confrontational at first glance and worrying but if you dont break the law everything is fine ...though there are obviously d**kheads around who dont think it applies to them

Very true, unfortunately. I wonder why that is?

This might be one reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XpRyNkf6w&feature=related

Canada has a minimum 7 years sentence for importing, maybe a little harsher for larger quantities. In any country upon arrival if (someone you know), you know your "friend", gets cold feet at immigration, before immigration has reviewed his passport and allowed entry, and he confesses that he is carrying something, technically he is not in the country, and a lawyer will argue that he gave it up beforehand. Usually the sentence will be less than 7 years, although the intention was to bring the drugs into the country, they were not brought in.

2 to 5 years.

Canada has a minimum 7 years sentence for importing, maybe a little harsher for larger quantities. In any country upon arrival if (someone you know), you know your "friend", gets cold feet at immigration, before immigration has reviewed his passport and allowed entry, and he confesses that he is carrying something, technically he is not in the country, and a lawyer will argue that he gave it up beforehand. Usually the sentence will be less than 7 years, although the intention was to bring the drugs into the country, they were not brought in.

2 to 5 years.

While people who confess may get less jail time, I believe once they land in Canada (enter Canadian land space), you are in Canada's legal jurisdiction regardless of going through immigration. What other country could you be in? If you went on a rampage and killed a dozen people, what country would charge you? While going through customs and not declaring your drugs may be a different offence, you still can be charged with trafficing as you could driving down a street and you certainly could be charged with smuggling related offenses because you did bring the drugs into Canada ... just as if you brought them over land bypassing a border crossing..