Hoya Filters & Lowepro Bags Main Distributor/reseller?

xty

I'm looking for some Hoya filters (UV HMC & CPL HMC) and Lowepro bag (SlingShot 200 AW). Where are the main distributors/resellers in Bangkok for these stuffs?

I know I may try some shops in MBK or Seacon, even I've visitted there. But either I can't find the exact types I'm looking for or the price are ridiculously expensive (2 times than "normal price in US or Jakarta"). In fotofile MBK, for 67mm Hoya UV non-coated, they charge 1200 Baht and HMC type is 2200 Baht. In Jakarta (jpckemang.com) I can get the UV HMC with only 940 Baht.

Edited by xty

I'm looking for some Hoya filters (UV HMC & CPL HMC) and Lowepro bag (SlingShot 200 AW). Where are the main distributors/resellers in Bangkok for these stuffs?

I know I may try some shops in MBK or Seacon, even I've visitted there. But either I can't find the exact types I'm looking for or the price are ridiculously expensive (2 times than "normal price in US or Jakarta"). In fotofile MBK, for 67mm Hoya UV non-coated, they charge 1200 Baht and HMC type is 2200 Baht. In Jakarta (jpckemang.com) I can get the UV HMC with only 940 Baht.

I haven't seen any shop in Thailand that has better selection of LowePro bags than Fotofile (1st Fl) or Photo Thailand (3rd Fl) in MBK. And as you said they do have Hoya filters as well but you're not likely to find either of products cheaper anywhere else in Thailand... As to LowePro bags I found their price to be only about 10 - 15% higher than Japan where I bought LowePro beltpack last year.

Here's link to LowePro distributor address in Thailand...

http://www.lowepro.com/where_to_buy/intern...l/thailand.aspx

I haven't seen any shop in Thailand that has better selection of LowePro bags than Fotofile (1st Fl) or Photo Thailand (3rd Fl) in MBK. And as you said they do have Hoya filters as well but you're not likely to find either of products cheaper anywhere else in Thailand... As to LowePro bags I found their price to be only about 10 - 15% higher than Japan where I bought LowePro beltpack last year.

This evening I went to the big photo store (4th floor) at Pantip Plaza. My observation:

They have many selection of filters from some brands (Marumi, Kenko, Sigma, Hoya). They have one Hoya UV HMC Thin 67mm, the one I want, for only 1090 Baht. That's cheap compare with Fotofile's 2200 Baht for non-Thin. Unfortunately the product is defective.

They have also the many selections (than other stores in Bangkok) of Sigma lenses, Manfrotto tripods and Lowepro bags. Though they don't have Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW model. Fotofile doesn't have only one or two Lowepro bags as they sell their own brand. The price also is not the cheapest one.

For reference I check Lowepro Nova 3 AW 2950 Baht. That is very expensive comparing to the photo store at Seacon for the same model for only 2300 Baht. Well, I wouldn't dare to compare in Jakarta (JPCKemang.com) for as low as 1670 Baht. Canon 50mm f/1.8 II 4900 Baht vs 3180 Baht at JPC.

You can see the difference is about 30-40% more expensive in Bangkok. I don't know yet other stores. I heard JPC also is importing from Japan. So I guess 10-15% higher than Japan is not correct. I don't understand why in Bangkok is more expensive, the fact that the general living cost and prices in Jakarta is actually higher. Could it be because of higher import tax? Or because of farang? Don't know...

Well, have no choice. I guess this Friday I'll ask my friend, who is going to Jakarta this weekend, to buy there.

This evening I went to the big photo store (4th floor) at Pantip Plaza. My observation:

They have many selection of filters from some brands (Marumi, Kenko, Sigma, Hoya). They have one Hoya UV HMC Thin 67mm, the one I want, for only 1090 Baht. That's cheap compare with Fotofile's 2200 Baht for non-Thin. Unfortunately the product is defective.

They have also the many selections (than other stores in Bangkok) of Sigma lenses, Manfrotto tripods and Lowepro bags. Though they don't have Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW model. Fotofile doesn't have only one or two Lowepro bags as they sell their own brand. The price also is not the cheapest one.

xty, have you checked out Photo Thailand on the 3rd floor of MBK which is owned by the same owner of Fotofile? I've been to the shop in Pantip too (one near escalator right?) and I'm pretty sure Photo Thailand has a LOT more selection of LowePro bags to offer as well as all brands of the filters you mentioned and manfrotto tripods than Pantip store. Though, I haven't bothered to compare prices between two stores on filters or tripods yet but I think fotofile was cheaper than Pantip store as far as LowePro bags are concerned.

So I guess 10-15% higher than Japan is not correct. I don't understand why in Bangkok is more expensive, the fact that the general living cost and prices in Jakarta is actually higher.

I know the price I shopped in Japan and the price they sell at fotofile, and I was only referring to this specific model of LowePro I bought.

I don't know about Jakarta price, but I found some of the products at fotofile/photo thailand to be cheaper or as cheap as the cheapest price I can find at resellers or on internet in Japan, such as Canon's EF24-70mm f/2.8L and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L lenses which I bought at fotofile, while another new lens I'm interested EF 24-105mm f/4L IS is 35% more expensive at fotofile than cheapest price I could find in Japan. I would be surprised if you can find these lenses I bought at fotofile for less in Jakarta. To my disappointment, EOS5D wasn't as cheap at fotofile as I expected it to be, so I bought it in Japan with battery grip + extra battery + soft body case, all in all for B10,000 less than 5D body only price at fotofile.

Edited by Nordlys

xty, have you checked out Photo Thailand on the 3rd floor of MBK which is owned by the same owner of Fotofile? I've been to the shop in Pantip too (one near escalator right?) and I'm pretty sure Photo Thailand has a LOT more selection of LowePro bags to offer as well as all brands of the filters you mentioned and manfrotto tripods than Pantip store. Though, I haven't bothered to compare prices between two stores on filters or tripods yet but I think fotofile was cheaper than Pantip store as far as LowePro bags are concerned.

I don't recall the location of Photo Thailand. What I know are SP Camera, Nikon, small store (ground floor, the other long alley of fotofile), small stall (near escalator, I think 4th floor). I'll try to check there when I go to MBK again.

I don't know about Jakarta price, but I found some of the products at fotofile/photo thailand to be cheaper or as cheap as the cheapest price I can find at resellers or on internet in Japan, such as Canon's EF24-70mm f/2.8L and EF 70-200mm f/2.8L lenses which I bought at fotofile, while another new lens I'm interested EF 24-105mm f/4L IS is 35% more expensive at fotofile than cheapest price I could find in Japan. I would be surprised if you can find these lenses I bought at fotofile for less in Jakarta. To my disappointment, EOS5D wasn't as cheap at fotofile as I expected it to be, so I bought it in Japan with battery grip + extra battery + soft body case, all in all for B10,000 less than 5D body only price at fotofile.

Okay, let's check. Here are the prices I get from jpckemang.com vs fotofile.net

THB 1 approx IDR 240

Canon EOS 20D Kit with EFS18-55mm : Rp 12.995.000 = 54145 Baht (FF=63900 Baht)

Canon EOS 20D SLR Body : Rp 11.995.000 = 49979 Baht (FF=59900 Baht)

Canon EOS-1Ds MarkII : Rp 66.950.000 = 278958 Baht (FF=292000 Baht)

Canon EOS 5D : Rp 28.995.000 = 120812 Baht (FF = 139000 Baht)

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N : Rp 39.500.000 = 164583 Baht (FF=204000 Baht)

Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM : Rp 12.164.800 = 50686 Baht (FF=54000 Baht)

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L USM : Rp 11.353.800 = 47307 Baht (FF=48230 Baht)

Canon EF 24 - 105 mm F4.0L : Rp 12.995.000 = 54145 Baht (FF=N/A)

Going to Jakarta for next camera/gear shopping? :o

I don't recall the location of Photo Thailand. What I know are SP Camera, Nikon, small store (ground floor, the other long alley of fotofile), small stall (near escalator, I think 4th floor). I'll try to check there when I go to MBK again.

Ask the fotofile staffs. I'm surprised they didn't refer you to photo (or foto?) thailand last time you were there. It's on the 3rd floor surrounded by restaurants (next to Japanese restaurant Zen if I remember correctly) and not far from the gate to the overpass connecting MBK with Siam Discovery and BTS stations. It has perhaps 3 times as much floor space as fotofile.

Okay, let's check. Here are the prices I get from jpckemang.com vs fotofile.net

Going to Jakarta for next camera/gear shopping? :D

I've picked a few models from the website of the shop you mentioned earlier and with the exchange rate I found from SCB website compared a few items with fotofile prices and it seems fotofiles are cheaper than that shop. :o

I've picked a few models from the website of the shop you mentioned earlier and with the exchange rate I found from SCB website compared a few items with fotofile prices and it seems fotofiles are cheaper than that shop. :o

The exchange rates of THB-IDR in Bank are ridiculous here, you see the big difference of buy and sell. IDR 200 (1/0.005) vs IDR 454 (1/0.0022). I know because I regularly transfer money to Indonesia. In Bangkok Bank it was THB 1 = IDR 215, while SCB you mention even worse THB 1 = IDR 200 (1/0.005). Well it's the fact that Indonesian currency is not popular. Therefore I never use direct THB to IDR, instead I buy USD here and transfer it there. Once I transferred several thousands USD using this method, the difference was 10000 Baht.

I always refer the rate to xe.com for approximate rate. Okay, it's not the actual rate you buy or sell because it's the average/mid-market rate. After all, I use it only for reference. And if I apply it among the different currencies (to compare prices), I think it's more "fair".

Now, let's say that I have 63900 Baht of 20D kit price in fotofile. I exchange to USD using SCB today's selling rate (39.72 Baht) and I get USD 1608.76. I bring USD to Indonesia and exchange in BCA bank (klikbca.com - popular bank in Indonesia - not the best rate though comparing to money changer) for today's buying rate of IDR 9250 for 1 USD and I get IDR 14.881.030. I spend 12.995.000 for the camera kit. And I still have more than IDR 1.8 millions (approx 7500 Baht). There you go... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

You will get the lowest price on Lowepro and Hoya products from the main importer and distributor in Thailand:

Image Systems Limited

61/18 Soi Taveemitr, Soi 4 Rama 9 Road

Huaykwang, Bangkok 10320

Tel. 02-246-1812 / 02-246-2046

Fax. 02-246-5754

Does anyone happen to know the name of that big camera store on the 3rd or 4th floor in Panthip?

Edited by Colby