Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

This morning, August 29, I was rung up by the Ubon Ratchathani City council to inform me that my ID card was there to collect. It took almost 5 months from the time I made the application until today.

This afternoon I collected the card. A pink card. Similar to what I had back in the 1970s as a volunteer but that was a cardboard card with a limited life. This is a plastic smart card and is for LIFE.

It is only an ID card with my number on it which is the same as on my house registration book (blue book). It is clearly written that it is an ID card for a non Thai national. Further down it is written that is for a person with Permaent residence.

On Sunday I am flying from Ubon to Bangkok and so I will test it out. Show it at the airport and the Bangkok Hotel and see whether or not it accepted instead of my passport.

Thank you Visa Forum for giving the information earlier this year about the paperwork needed to get this ID card.

Congratulations, and thank you for reporting back on the outcome. One question: does the back of your card have any text like the one Arkady mentioned being on the cards of minorities and stateless persons?

...The condition on the back of the ID card requiring permission to leave the district that issued it might be a problem though and could require carrying the alien book as proof of permission to leave the district...

Congratulations, and thank you for reporting back on the outcome. One question: does the back of your card have any text like the one Arkady mentioned being on the cards of minorities and stateless persons?

Arkady, on 04 Mar 2013 - 18:29, said:snapback.png

...The condition on the back of the ID card requiring permission to leave the district that issued it might be a problem though and could require carrying the alien book as proof of permission to leave the district...

Thank you for pointing out these conditions on the back of the card in very small print. I checked on these conditions this morning at the city council.

It does not say district but out of the land stated on the ID card.

In my case the land is Thailand (not the district or province) and I am entitled to move freely anywhere in Thailand.

And like before, I need to have permission to leave Thailand, which I get by obtaining once a year, multiple re-entry permits in my blue Certificate of Residence book and in my passport.

And of course every 5 years I must report to my local police station and get another 5 year permit hand written into that old reddish-brown Alien book for the sum of 800 baht.

Whether or not obtaining this small smart card will be useful remains to be seen.

I will give it a test run this weekend at the Ubon Ratchathani Airport and when I check into the hotel in Bangkok and let you know how it goes next week.

• Like 2

Thank you for pointing out these conditions on the back of the card in very small print. I checked on these conditions this morning at the city council.

In my case the land is Thailand (not the district or province) and I am entitled to move freely anywhere in Thailand.

And like before, I need to have permission to leave Thailand, which I get by obtaining once a year, multiple re-entry permits in my blue Certificate of Residence book and in my passport.

And of course every 5 years I must report to my local police station and get another 5 year permit hand written into that old reddish-brown Alien book for the sum of 800 baht.

Whether or not obtaining this small smart card will be useful remains to be seen.

I will give it a test run this weekend at the Ubon Ratchathani Airport and when I check into the hotel in Bangkok and let you know how it goes next week.

Personally I simply use my Driving License when flying domestic and checking into hotels - no trouble so far.

My new ID card worked everywhere I showed it. Checking in at the airport, going into transit and checking into the hotel. In fact it was much better than using a passport because everything is written in Thai. So more convenient than having to use a large passport. My next test will be at the bank when they need to photocopy ID for certain transactions.

Dork and Michael Hare and Arkady:

My TAXPAYER ID number is "0-XXXX-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits)

The ID number in my tabien baan blue book is: ""8-1007-XXXXX-XX-X" (13 digits)

I thought everything was supposed to be synced to one number....does this sound right to you?

I would like to understand this before applying for an ID card at the local KHET (amphur/district) office in Bangkok (based on my permanent residence status).

I thought everything was supposed to be synced to one number....does this sound right to you?

I would like to understand this before applying for an ID card at the local KHET (amphur/district) office in Bangkok (based on my permanent residence status).

Forget the Tax ID.

Just take your blue house registration book, along with your other permanent residence booklets. Tax ID is never mentioned and not needed.

Of course your passport as well. Most important.

Other than that it is a piece of cake. But it takes some time because it is a smart card from the Interior Ministry. But once it comes it is for life.

• Like 1

Forget the Tax ID.

Just take your blue house registration book, along with your other permanent residence booklets. Tax ID is never mentioned and not needed.

Of course your passport as well. Most important.

Other than that it is a piece of cake. But it takes some time because it is a smart card from the Interior Ministry. But once it comes it is for life.

many thanks! I'll do that...

but by the way, your taxpayer ID number is different from your number in the house registration book, right?

What is the Thai wording that you translate to "land"?

The Thai word is "pheun" - see attached. It says the holder is not permitted to leave the "pheun" that issued the ID card, unless he had an alien certificate or special permission. I haven't verified this but it is pretty obvious that the "pheun" in this context means either a khet or an amphur depending on whether it is in Bkk or in the provinces, since only districts have the power to issue the ID cards. Anyway, since you have an alien certificate, it is not an issue (as long as you carry that with you at all times too - LOL).

post-23829-0-62522700-1378575228_thumb.j

Michael Hare, I have this album Current stamps of visas, extensions, etc, visible to anyone with the link. I don't know how equipped and adept you are with computers but if you can scan your ID card front and back, obliterate or pixelate any personal information (ID number, name, address, birth date, etc) and post it here I shall add it the album and in the comments field give a link to your post. Only if this is acceptable to you, of course.

The Thai word is "pheun" - see attached. It says the holder is not permitted to leave the "pheun" that issued the ID card, unless he had an alien certificate or special permission. I haven't verified this but it is pretty obvious that the "pheun" in this context means either a khet or an amphur depending on whether it is in Bkk or in the provinces, since only districts have the power to issue the ID cards. Anyway, since you have an alien certificate, it is not an issue (as long as you carry that with you at all times too - LOL).

"Pheun Tee" actually. Thanks for attaching the card layout. It does say that you are not allowed to leave the "pheun tee" UNLESS you have an alien ID (bai samkan prachamtua khon tang dao) OR you have permission in writing. (Translation by me, and the scan has low resolution OR my eyesight is not what it used to be, so here is the excuse for any mistranslation).

My interpretation is that I have this alien ID (this brownish-reddish book), so I can go anywhere. I am already required to carry it around with me and I don't, but my Driver's Licence is good enough for police checkpoints, and the bank does not even know it exists.

I will try and apply for one. I am not sure yet, whether I have to go to Chaeng Wat or to the local Amphur/Khet. My feeling would be the Khet, as this is where the Thais get their ID. Arkady, why would you mention CW?

"Pheun Tee" actually. Thanks for attaching the card layout. It does say that you are not allowed to leave the "pheun tee" UNLESS you have an alien ID (bai samkan prachamtua khon tang dao) OR you have permission in writing. (Translation by me, and the scan has low resolution OR my eyesight is not what it used to be, so here is the excuse for any mistranslation).

My interpretation is that I have this alien ID (this brownish-reddish book), so I can go anywhere. I am already required to carry it around with me and I don't, but my Driver's Licence is good enough for police checkpoints, and the bank does not even know it exists.

I will try and apply for one. I am not sure yet, whether I have to go to Chaeng Wat or to the local Amphur/Khet. My feeling would be the Khet, as this is where the Thais get their ID. Arkady, why would you mention CW?

Indeed it is "pheun thii" พื้นที่, district or area. Anyway the suggestion that ID cards are issued nationally was entirely fanciful. Yes the scan was lo res from DOPA's website.

It seems to defeat the object for those who have to carry their alien books around to prove they can go outside their districts but that is Thai bureaucracy. They know no one will carry the red book around, as it would fall to pieces entirely within 6 months of daily use, but police have an excuse to harass minorities for not carrying it. For farangs this is a very low risk but police can still harass you for only having the pink card when they do pee tests in pubs or hassle foreigners walking around near Soi Cowboy. If you are not black, scruffy and/or long haired or don't walk around the C'boy/Thonglor area or hang out in night spots frequented by teenagers on yaa E this is a fairly low risk. In my case I would never routinely carry my passport or alien book anyway, so the pink card plus lifetime DL would be better than nothing and the pink card should make it obvious that you are a PR, eliminating the BiB's argument that a DL alone doesn't indicate visa status .

The reason I mention CW is because as far as I know the only two posters who have specified where they obtained their pink cards are Thaiowl and Dork who both got them at the Chaengwattana Distict Office in Nonthaburi (not Immigration). I wanted to know, if this was a one off or whether other district offices in the Greater Bkk area have been issuing them to PRs who aren't minorities. It is pretty clear, as confirmed informally by DOPA to a poster who got someone to call them, that they were intended only for minorities but some oaf apparently drafted the new regulations badly in c2008 and made all PR holders eligible by accident. In fact the wording makes it compulsory for us to have the things. Some PR holders have been rejected by DOs on the basis that they understand the regulation was an error, whereas CW DO seems to have taken the regulation literally, as they should, and even tinkered with the software to make it accept farangs. Probably others will do the same, unless the regulations are amended and DOPA probably wouldn't want to lose face by admitting they made such a dumb mistake and didn't do any about it for years. Anyway it makes sense for PR holders to have an ID card. They do in just about every other country in the world.

Indeed it is "pheun thii" พื้นที่, district or area. Anyway the suggestion that ID cards are issued nationally was entirely fanciful. Yes the scan was lo res from DOPA's website.

It seems to defeat the object for those who have to carry their alien books around to prove they can go outside their districts but that is Thai bureaucracy. They know no one will carry the red book around, as it would fall to pieces entirely within 6 months of daily use, but police have an excuse to harass minorities for not carrying it. For farangs this is a very low risk but police can still harass you for only having the pink card when they do pee tests in pubs or hassle foreigners walking around near Soi Cowboy. If you are not black, scruffy and/or long haired or don't walk around the C'boy/Thonglor area or hang out in night spots frequented by teenagers on yaa E this is a fairly low risk. In my case I would never routinely carry my passport or alien book anyway, so the pink card plus lifetime DL would be better than nothing and the pink card should make it obvious that you are a PR, eliminating the BiB's argument that a DL alone doesn't indicate visa status .

The reason I mention CW is because as far as I know the only two posters who have specified where they obtained their pink cards are Thaiowl and Dork who both got them at the Chaengwattana Distict Office in Nonthaburi (not Immigration). I wanted to know, if this was a one off or whether other district offices in the Greater Bkk area have been issuing them to PRs who aren't minorities. It is pretty clear, as confirmed informally by DOPA to a poster who got someone to call them, that they were intended only for minorities but some oaf apparently drafted the new regulations badly in c2008 and made all PR holders eligible by accident. In fact the wording makes it compulsory for us to have the things. Some PR holders have been rejected by DOs on the basis that they understand the regulation was an error, whereas CW DO seems to have taken the regulation literally, as they should, and even tinkered with the software to make it accept farangs. Probably others will do the same, unless the regulations are amended and DOPA probably wouldn't want to lose face by admitting they made such a dumb mistake and didn't do any about it for years. Anyway it makes sense for PR holders to have an ID card. They do in just about every other country in the world.

There is no District Office called Chaengwattana. Perhaps you mean Pak Kret District Office but in any case that isn't where my card came from. My card was issed by Mueang Nonthaburi District Office which is located in the same complex as Nonthaburi Provincial headquarters on Rattanathibet Rd.

They did not simply offer me the card either. In fact they did all they could to persuade me that such a thing didn't exist and couldn't be issued. It was only after presenting all the relevant supporting documents and making calls (in their presence) to BORA (The division of DOPA that handle ID cards and household registration) that they reluctantly accepted my application even though it couldn't be fully processed. Neither did they "tinker" with the software.

The impetus to make it possible to issue the card came from the head of BORA and had nothing to do with Nonthaburi. It was them that had to modify the software so that the system would accept and print an ID card starting with the number 8.

From Michael Hare's posting in this thread I understand that his card was issued in Ubon Ratchathani.

I requested my ID card in Ubon but the card was issued by the Interior Ministry in Bangkok. Signed by the Director of Central Registrations in the Interior Ministry in Bangkok. No one in Ubon signed my card. This card can only be issued from Bangkok and that is why it took so long.

Puen Thii in my case is all of Thailand because I am a New Zealand citizen with a valid New Zealand passport which allows me to go anywhere in Thailand just like any other New Zealander coming to Thailand.

Look you guys are worrying about nothing.

The number on my card is the same as in my blue house registration book and my Thai driver's licence.

I requested my card in Nakhon Ratchsima in the begining of this year, and after going through all the refusals, finally in April they scanned my finger prints and feed the required data in their computers, then they tried to take my picture with no success, they called the Bangkok administrative office again and again and the answer was, there is some kind of glitch in their program, so my district office puts my case on the hold, as I am the only person with a PR registered in my district and lives here in Bangkok, they asked me to try it another day. This Monday I called them again and without any hussle they told me that I can give it another try, if I am visting Korat, so I am thinking to pay them another vist soon.

sent by skyaslimit using thaivisa forum mobile app.

My other querry is, whether we can request this pink card in ANY district office ? I mean like the Thai ID card can be issued or renewed at all district offices around Thailand? As for my youngest son his thabian baan is of Korat but ID was issued here in Bangkok.

I requested my card in Nakhon Ratchsima in the begining of this year, and after going through all the refusals, finally in April they scanned my finger prints and feed the required data in their computers, then they tried to take my picture with no success, they called the Bangkok administrative office again and again and the answer was, there is some kind of glitch in their program, so my district office puts my case on the hold, as I am the only person with a PR registered in my district and lives here in Bangkok, they asked me to try it another day. This Monday I called them again and without any hussle they told me that I can give it another try, if I am visting Korat, so I am thinking to pay them another vist soon.

Hi skyaslimit,

Your experience sounds quite similar to mine except that they did manage to take the photo. They must have because although they couldn't print the card at that time, I never went back there again until the card was ready - which was quite some time later.

My card was issued at Mueang Nonthaburi District office so one possibility for you might be to get your District office to call them and ask how they finally managed it. I don't have their phone number but guess you can find it here: http://www.nont-pro.go.th/main.php

I just assumed that they printed it at the District office but I don't know for sure. Perhaps it was, as Michael Hare suggested above, printed somewhere else. If that is the case, it would almost certainly be at DOPA or more specifically BORA. I have the phone number for the relevant office there. It is 02-791 7319

Good luck!

Hi skyaslimit,

Your experience sounds quite similar to mine except that they did manage to take the photo. They must have because although they couldn't print the card at that time, I never went back there again until the card was ready - which was quite some time later.

My card was issued at Mueang Nonthaburi District office so one possibility for you might be to get your District office to call them and ask how they finally managed it. I don't have their phone number but guess you can find it here: http://www.nont-pro.go.th/main.php

I just assumed that they printed it at the District office but I don't know for sure. Perhaps it was, as Michael Hare suggested above, printed somewhere else. If that is the case, it would almost certainly be at DOPA or more specifically BORA. I have the phone number for the relevant office there. It is 02-791 7319

Good luck!

Thanks buddy

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no District Office called Chaengwattana. Perhaps you mean Pak Kret District Office but in any case that isn't where my card came from. My card was issed by Mueang Nonthaburi District Office which is located in the same complex as Nonthaburi Provincial headquarters on Rattanathibet Rd.

They did not simply offer me the card either. In fact they did all they could to persuade me that such a thing didn't exist and couldn't be issued. It was only after presenting all the relevant supporting documents and making calls (in their presence) to BORA (The division of DOPA that handle ID cards and household registration) that they reluctantly accepted my application even though it couldn't be fully processed. Neither did they "tinker" with the software.

The impetus to make it possible to issue the card came from the head of BORA and had nothing to do with Nonthaburi. It was them that had to modify the software so that the system would accept and print an ID card starting with the number 8.

From Michael Hare's posting in this thread I understand that his card was issued in Ubon Ratchathani.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe it was Thai Owl who got his at Pak Kret District Office (not CW) and that he was offered it when he went to get his name in a blue tabien baan, having been previously unaware that such a card existed. The software wouldn't allow them to enter him at first but later they called him some time later when it could. I guess the software was tinkered with centrally, not actually by the DO officials themselves, but they must have requested the fix.

Good to know that pink cards have been issued to farang PRs living in various districts. I will try to apply for one when I have the time and energy to tide me over while waiting patiently for the real one.

Funny that the picture couldn't be taken. Anyway, can you tell us what district in Bangkok this was?

Funny that the picture couldn't be taken. Anyway, can you tell us what district in Bangkok this was?

I live in bkk but my thabian baan is in Nakhon Ratchsima and I am going to give it one more try next month.

My pink ID card was issued by the tessabaan in Pakkret

• 3 weeks later...

I am a PR holder (23 years) and will try my district office and see whether I can obtain an ID card. May be difficult as the big boss has made it perfectly clear to all that he hates farangs.

Since this thread relates specifically to those of us with PR, can anyone assist me in how to obtain a new blue book, and alien registration booklet

The local immigration say they cannot provide a new blue book, whilst the local Police station have no knowledge of where to obtain alien registration books.. I need a new blue book by January, but the alien book can wait a year or 2.

Thanks for any info.

I am a PR holder (23 years) and will try my district office and see whether I can obtain an ID card. May be difficult as the big boss has made it perfectly clear to all that he hates farangs.

Since this thread relates specifically to those of us with PR, can anyone assist me in how to obtain a new blue book, and alien registration booklet

The local immigration say they cannot provide a new blue book, whilst the local Police station have no knowledge of where to obtain alien registration books.. I need a new blue book by January, but the alien book can wait a year or 2.

Thanks for any info.

[/quote

I would try a laywer it's all about the money at the end of the day