Thai (Non Thai) Id Card For Permanent Residents

I didn't know this was even a possibility, and maybe the more they get inquiries from us the more they will think about it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a white permanent resident book? I needed more pages a few years ago and this is what they gave me.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

has anyone with a Permanent Residence Book & Blue Tabien Baan Book applied for a Thai ID card at PATHUMWAN district (in central Siam Square area) in Bangkok?

I'm a Thai citizen by birth but all my family is registered there including my wife who has a yellow book. Can't speak to your exact query, but the office next to the Sam Yarn wet market have always been extremely helpful and professional.

• 2 months later...

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I didn't know this was even a possibility, and maybe the more they get inquiries from us the more they will think about it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else have a white permanent resident book? I needed more pages a few years ago and this is what they gave me.

First Resident Certificate Book is dark blue, when full it's replaced by a white covered book (same internal details), and when that's full replaced by another white covered book. That's my experience.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

First Resident Certificate Book is dark blue, when full it's replaced by a white covered book (same internal details), and when that's full replaced by another white covered book. That's my experience.

That is indeed correct.

I needed a replacement last year. necessitated 2 visits to bangkok - they said it took 4 days. When i returned 4 days my papers were still lying on the officers desk, and she had to start from scratch Took 2 hours. They showed no concern that my 2 visits each required an overnight stay.

The new white book has very flimsy paper, and the immigration stamps show through the other side causing Immigration Officers at borders to think the page has already been used.

That is indeed correct.

I needed a replacement last year. necessitated 2 visits to bangkok - they said it took 4 days. When i returned 4 days my papers were still lying on the officers desk, and she had to start from scratch Took 2 hours. They showed no concern that my 2 visits each required an overnight stay.

The new white book has very flimsy paper, and the immigration stamps show through the other side causing Immigration Officers at borders to think the page has already been used.

I hadn't noticed on the white cover until a friend brought it up that it says "Duplicate." He said he has been asked where the other one is. Of course, they don't give it back, but apparently not all in Immigration are aware until you explain.

That is indeed correct.

I hadn't noticed on the white cover until a friend brought it up that it says "Duplicate." He said he has been asked where the other one is. Of course, they don't give it back, but apparently not all in Immigration are aware until you explain.

The PR officers at CW do enter data into computers now but apart from that it doesn't appear that any process to do with PR has changed for at least 50 years. Some of the questions on the forms to apply for the immigrant visa endorsement/re-entry like what is my "race" and what is the date of my entry to Thailand perplex me every year.

If I had to guess I would say that in the 1950's it was never envisaged that anyone would actually fill up a residents permit with exit/entry stamps. Rather the "duplicate" was for those that had been hopeless enough to lose the original.

• Like 2

No doubt in my mind that it would be in the best interest of both Thailand, and Retired Foreigners with Appropriate Visas, to have an ID Card. No need then to carry a passport...and many do not want to get a driver license.

Perhaps, in the future, the ID Card could make it easier to get stamped in for another year....so we do not have to go through the cycle of furnishing documents every year.

A driver's licence is a good thing to have and is the closest thing to an ID card available for foreigners in Thailand. In fact, even in many western countries driver's licences are the only readily available ID that one can apply for to prove his/her identity, save for a much bulkier passport, which is not needed as a local. This is because many western countries don't even issue citizen ID cards because they don't exist in those countries, therefore a driver's licence is the next best thing. Countries that this applies to include the USA, Canada and Australia.

I agree that an ID card for foreigners would be a very good thing in Thailand. But in the meantime a driver's license should be applied for and I see no good reason for any reluctance to apply for one. There is no need to drive just because you have a driver's license; even back home in the west many driver's licence holders simply have one to prove identity and/or on the off chance they might need to drive sometime. A DL is just as good for simply proving identity and can be used for such purposes in Thailand too. It's a pity that it's status is not quite comprehensive enough though, because in many cases various businesses and institutions still want to see a citizen's ID for locals or a passport for foreigners. But many others will happily accept either a passport/citizen ID or a driver's licencel sometimes when you are asked for a passport and you pull out a Thai driver's license that will happily be accepted.

• Like 1

No doubt in my mind that it would be in the best interest of both Thailand, and Retired Foreigners with Appropriate Visas, to have an ID Card. No need then to carry a passport...and many do not want to get a driver license.

Perhaps, in the future, the ID Card could make it easier to get stamped in for another year....so we do not have to go through the cycle of furnishing documents every year.

A driver's licence is a good thing to have and is the closest thing to an ID card available for foreigners in Thailand. In fact, even in many western countries driver's licences are the only readily available ID that one can apply for to prove his/her identity, save for a much bulkier passport, which is not needed as a local. This is because many western countries don't even issue citizen ID cards because they don't exist in those countries, therefore a driver's licence is the next best thing. Countries that this applies to include the USA, Canada and Australia.

I agree that an ID card for foreigners would be a very good thing in Thailand. But in the meantime a driver's license should be applied for and I see no good reason for any reluctance to apply for one. There is no need to drive just because you have a driver's license; even back home in the west many driver's licence holders simply have one to prove identity and/or on the off chance they might need to drive sometime. A DL is just as good for simply proving identity and can be used for such purposes in Thailand too. It's a pity that it's status is not quite comprehensive enough though, because in many cases various businesses and institutions still want to see a citizen's ID for locals or a passport for foreigners. But many others will happily accept either a passport/citizen ID or a driver's licencel sometimes when you are asked for a passport and you pull out a Thai driver's license that will happily be accepted.

Can you easily convert your foreign license to a Thai one? In the Philippines I just took an eye test and paid some fees and got a new license. It was really easy. I kept my US/State one too. Can a tourist get a Thai DL?

PINK THAI ID CARD FOR PR HOLDERS

I wonder if I could please ask you for a little assistance.

I've had Thai PR for many years. This morning I went to my local amphur office here in Chiang Mai with my adult Thai son (speaks perfect Thai) to apply for this card.

The quite polite response from several officers was 'no such thing'.

Several folks have posted copies of the PR based Thai ID card but unfortunately there are known errors, especially in the main heading on the top of the front and in item 3 on the back about restrictions about movement. Already discussed in several posts here on TV.

Perhaps foolishly I took copies of this to the amphur office and of course the officers just kept saying this is for migrant workers not for PR folks and there is no such card for people with PR.

Trying to convince them that there is another version with a different heading / different wording on the back just produced more 'no such thing'.

I also took a copy of the regulations / instructions also posted her on TV but they said 'your mistaken, it's for PR holders.

Could a TV member who has the new card with everything correct please share a photo of the back and front, but of course with personal details blanked out.

Appreciate you sharing.

Thanks.

That is indeed correct.

My blue book was full, the old Immigration office Soi Suan Plu, processed a new white book while I waited, no more than 30 minutes, and same again a couple of years later, white book full gave me another white book at the CW centre, all processed with lots of smiles within 30 minutes. Last time about 4 years ago.That's my experience.

Edited by scorecard

My blue book was full, the old Immigration office Soi Suan Plu, processed a new white book while I waited, no more than 30 minutes, and same again a couple of years later, white book full gave me another white book at the CW centre, all processed with lots of smiles within 30 minutes. Last time about 4 years ago.That's my experience.

Mine was 12 months ago.

Local immigration office could not do. they telephoned CW and were told I had to go there and it would take 4 days. When I went I was told the same story, and they would not consider a same day job, despite my living 400kms away!

As I indicated nothing was done between my first and 2nd visit. My file was still on the table untouched!

Bar Stewards!!!!!

PINK THAI ID CARD FOR PR HOLDERS

I wonder if I could please ask you for a little assistance.

I've had Thai PR for many years. This morning I went to my local amphur office here in Chiang Mai with my adult Thai son (speaks perfect Thai) to apply for this card.

The quite polite response from several officers was 'no such thing'.

Several folks have posted copies of the PR based Thai ID card but unfortunately there are known errors, especially in the main heading on the top of the front and in item 3 on the back about restrictions about movement. Already discussed in several posts here on TV.

Perhaps foolishly I took copies of this to the amphur office and of course the officers just kept saying this is for migrant workers not for PR folks and there is no such card for people with PR.

Trying to convince them that there is another version with a different heading / different wording on the back just produced more 'no such thing'.

I also took a copy of the regulations / instructions also posted her on TV but they said 'your mistaken, it's for PR holders.

Could a TV member who has the new card with everything correct please share a photo of the back and front, but of course with personal details blanked out.

Appreciate you sharing.

Thanks.

I was told the same at Khet Prakhanong in Bangkok. The problem is that the Thai ministries don't teach their officials, and they really believe what they say. But they are still wrong.

Go to post #9 in this thread and download the procedural manual. Download the sample pink ID from post #12. Print out both and take it to the amphur.

This is what I did. They read it and were surprised. Give them also the relevant phone number at the Ministry of the Interior: 02-791-7319. If they do not believe that this is for PR holders (even though it clearly says so), ask them to call to that number. If they refuse to call and still deny that this pink ID is for PR holders, get their name and phone number, call to the Ministry and ask them to call to these officers and explain it to them.

The officers need to talk to that number at the Ministry anyway because the program they use for Thai IDs also has an option for these pink IDs but it is not self-explanatory and quite confusing.

Once they are there, the program actually has a bug and throws error messages after your picture has been taken and they want to print out the card. At least this happened here, please let me know whether it works in Chiang Mai. I am calling to Prakhanong about once a month (since May) and ask them whether the program has been fixed and they always swear that they are following up with the Ministry (phone number as above) ... If more amphurs/khets call to the Ministry, maybe they will ask the software vendor to fix the program.

Note: You mention above:

1.) I've had Thai PR for many years.

2.) but they said 'your mistaken, it's for PR holders.

You are not mistaken, it is for PR holders.

Once they are there, the program actually has a bug and throws error messages after your picture has been taken and they want to print out the card. At least this happened here, please let me know whether it works in Chiang Mai. I am calling to Prakhanong about once a month (since May) and ask them whether the program has been fixed and they always swear that they are following up with the Ministry (phone number as above) ... If more amphurs/khets call to the Ministry, maybe they will ask the software vendor to fix the program.

You're persistence is admirable, but don't you realize that they have found the perfect way to not issue the cards? Blaming a vendor, or computer bug.

You don't know, that, that's fine. You can leave the thread, we will continue without you.

Of course mine is an unproven opinion only. Fact is, people is being denied a right under circumstances that leave a lot of doubts.

If you want be optimistic, be it.

Note to have people leave threads you need an higher rank in this forum.

Edited by paz

After reading Dork's account of his pink ID card I did a bit more research

and came up with the 2008 regulations that are referenced on the back of the

template posted by Dork and earlier by Thai Owl and I have attached them here

(in Thai). I got them from the Royal Gazette but they are also posted on

the website the Department of Provincial Administration (DoPA), the Interior

Ministry department that is responsible for all district offices http://ilab.dopa.go....9/rules2551.pdf

When Thai Owl first raised this issue last November I came across some

earlier regulations from 2004 to do with issuing the pink ID cards that listed

15 groups that are eligible for ID cards, including former members of Chinese

Communist Party of Malaya, displaced Burmese refugees of Thai ethnicity etc,

etc. However, I now believe these regulations to be out of date.

Thus far I have only scanned the 2008 regulations and have not read every word.

However, it seems to me that they are much broader and less specific. The

definition of people without Thai nationality who are eligible for the ID cards

is:

i) Those with permanent residence in the Kingdom with alien certificate or

residence certificate.

ii) Those given special dispensation to remain in the Kingdom - i.e.

stateless people, former Chinese Communists, Kuomintang, displaced Thais etc.

I can't see any suggestion that it is necessary to be either stateless or

migrant labour from Burma, Cambodia or Laos.

I still think the pink ID cards are intended for the 15 minority groups

and/or migrant labourers but it is possible that DoPA has come up with some

overlapping regulations which don't exclude PRs who come from the business

quota because it makes sense for minorities with PR to have pink IDs.

Minorities and stateless people can also obtain PR in certain

circumstances. People in the hill tribe areas, for example, are expected

to carry a Thai or alien ID card. So one can imagine it makes sense for

district offices to issue them with pink IDs in addition to their alien books

which are cumbersome and not understood by many officials.

I am not sure where to find the law about carrying ID at all times but I

assume a government issued ID card would fit the bill as well as an alien

book. The condition on the back of the ID card requiring permission to

leave the district that issued it might be a problem though and could require

carrying the alien book as proof of permission to leave the district - Catch

The regulations seem to stipulate the exact time you can apply for an ID

card, i.e. 60 days after becoming 5 years old or when your name is entered in a

tabien baan. If your name was entered on a tabien baan many years before

the 2008 regulations came into force, that could be another Catch 22. LoL.

Anyway I am going mull over whether I want to go along to my district office

with a copy of the regulations and the manual posted by Dork. My all of

life driving licence has so far proved good enough ID to carry for traffic

police and checking into hotels. It might interesting just trying to push

the envelope though.

I wouldn't do it......Use your lifetime drivers license like I have been doing for many years!

Permanent Residents are not entititied to Thai ID card simply because we are not Thai..

Also, there is no such thing as a "permanent resident " in Thailand unless you are a Thai citizen.

Our existence and residential status is contingent on our 90 probation...I mean immigration visits.

The plug can be pulled on your residency in Thailand at anytime for any reason.

TV members who have resided here for years have posted that suddenly and unexpectedly, for no known reason, their extensions have been denied.

I do not think it happens often, but It can and does happen.

Nothing is permanent.

Edited by willyumiii

Permanent Residents are not entititied to Thai ID card simply because we are not Thai..

Also, there is no such thing as a "permanent resident " in Thailand unless you are a Thai citizen.

Our existence and residential status is contingent on our 90 probation...I mean immigration visits.

TV members who have resided here for years have posted that suddenly and unexpectedly, for no known reason, their extensions have been denied.

Nothing is permanent.

No, there is a very specific category of PR and many people have it. Once gotten, the no longer required any more permission to stay in Thailand.

Nothing is permanent.

Since you mention 90 day reports and Annual extensions, neither of which are applicable to those with PR you must be referring to something else.

Nothing is permanent.

Wrong, you are mixing the people residing here on yearly extensions with the people with PR status

Nothing is permanent.

I stand corrected.

There is a big difference between a permanant resident and those of us on the yearly extension / 90 day reporting merry go round.

Please disregard my previous post.

• 3 months later...

Here is the more realistic practical approach:

Download and print out the documents offered by Dork in post #9 of this thread. When you go to your DO, they will probably say that you are not entitled to an ID card, so you show them these documents. Expect them to take copies and ask you to come back later after they have checked it.

When you come back, they will need to key your data into the computer. There is a menu which apparently is not self-explanatory, it is not the same procedure as for Thai people. Anyway, when I first went (several times), after they found the right menu item, the program showed error messages, I talked to the Ministry who said the program does not have errors any more, but then I saw it did, and my Khet got on the phone with the IT department and after a while the program was finally fixed. So it works now, and if yur DO people have problems with how to key in the data, I guess they can call to Khet Prakhanong, as they now the program now very well.

Unlike Thai ID cards, the DO cannot print it, but they need to send the file to the Ministry of the Interior. The Ministry will print the card and will send it back.

If you still have problems, please let me know.

• Like 1

congratulations

Thanks. Took me a number of trips to the Khet (who showed me that the software didn't work and error messages popped up), and phone calls to the Ministry (who told me that the software has been fixed, but then later the IT department got to work on it), but at the end it was worth it.

• Like 1

One more thing, but rather philosophical: There is one user on Camerata's Guide who says that the pink ID card was never meant for PR holders. This is incorrect; my card says in Thai "ID Card for non-Thais who hold Permanent Residence" (my translation).

Furthermore, the announcement about these ID cards for non-Thais from 2551 linked in post #9 clearly refers to 1.) PR holders and 2.) people with special permission to stay (I think by this they mean the migrant workers from neighbouring countries but am not sure). It says under item 5 that you have to apply for this ID card within 60 days after registering in the tabien bahn, or after completing 5 years of age. (My translation, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Of course, the 60-day requirement is currently not enforced, but hey:

You have the choice of carrying your passport, PR book and Alien Registration book in situations where the drivers licence is not sufficient, or you carry the ID card instead. Furthermore, I expect things to be easier (at the bank or at National Parks, for example) with the ID card rather than the driver's licence.

• Like 1

Congrats, interesting to know that the card says that it's indeed meant for PR. Could you attach a scan of it here for us to see? Offcourse blanking out your personal details. Thanks

One more thing, but rather philosophical: There is one user on Camerata's Guide who says that the pink ID card was never meant for PR holders. This is incorrect; my card says in Thai "ID Card for non-Thais who hold Permanent Residence" (my translation).

Furthermore, the announcement about these ID cards for non-Thais from 2551 linked in post #9 clearly refers to 1.) PR holders and 2.) people with special permission to stay (I think by this they mean the migrant workers from neighbouring countries but am not sure). It says under item 5 that you have to apply for this ID card within 60 days after registering in the tabien bahn, or after completing 5 years of age. (My translation, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) Of course, the 60-day requirement is currently not enforced, but hey:

You have the choice of carrying your passport, PR book and Alien Registration book in situations where the drivers licence is not sufficient, or you carry the ID card instead. Furthermore, I expect things to be easier (at the bank or at National Parks, for example) with the ID card rather than the driver's licence.

I was thinking of that, but I won't have access to scanner until next Monday. Please stand by.

Congrats, interesting to know that the card says that it's indeed meant for PR. Could you attach a scan of it here for us to see? Offcourse blanking out your personal details. Thanks