Is Being Fat A Choice (If There Is No Underlying Medical Reason)

robblok

There have been some heated discussions here on the im too fat forum. Part of it is that some of us think that being fat if there is no underlying medical reason is a choice.

I have been looking at some BBC documentaries and all in all being fat is a choice, when you realize your fat and you don't do anything about it. If you are not willing to give up some habits and acquire some new habits and discipline its a choice.

But its not equally hard on everyone, there are people that have problems with the hormone ghrellin and that means they keep being hungry. Not fun at all and for those people its much harder to stay on their weight. On the other side of the spectrum there are people who are thin and stay thin because their body does not let them eat more and / or burn calories at a faster rate. So for some people its so easy while its hard for others.

But it is still a choice (admitted a hard choice for some) to put the food in your mouth and go for the bad foods or the beers. Then its a conscious choice and to be honest i don't really care if someone chooses this. Its the easy and nice choice satisfying your needs with all that yummy food. I know i like the foods too, i just made a different choice.

There are always ways to loose the weight but in the its all about what you put in your mouth and how much of it.

Some nice documentaries for those who are interested

BBC horizon the Atkins Diet (in the end they found out that because people eating that diet ate less because high protein foods satisfy you faster then other foods so it was also a caloric diet)

BBC horizon Why are thin people not fat (showed people who had a good inbuilt mechanism to prevent overeating and even a genetic gifted guy who got extra muscles from eating more and not working out and it showed why its harder for some to stay of food then others nice)

BBC horizon The truth about fat (more about hormones and how we respond on them)

All of these documentaries showed it was still about how much you eat and burn, but they admitted it was harder for some because of hormones but in the end they went on eating.

My opinion is that everyone can if they want loose weight it will cost time and effort. But if you learn a bit about food and learn a bit about counting calories (don't have to do it all the time) you can definitely loose weight. If you add exercise you are more likely to keep it off.. but do something you like. I like lifting but others might like swimming. Don't go full out build it slowly. Same with your food.. apply changes gradually.

Im sure there will be plenty of people not agreeing and could be an interesting discussion

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some people do choose to be fat as one of their "human rights." It's mainly so that they can eat whatever junk they like. And it's worth it to them to take the blood pressure medicine, the insulin shots--have the stents and bypass ops, the artificial knees and hips--and die earlier. In the USA, gov't employees or former gov't employees seem particularly prone to that choice as they have great lifetime health insurance. (If you're in a nanny state, doesn't matter I guess.) Once knew an obese lady who absolutely couldn't live w/o Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Taxpayers must have paid $2 million to keep her and her husband alive and shuffling until they reached their early 70s. IMO they should have been forced to live at a fat farm for a few months. But that would have been a human rights violation.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

I am 68 and fat because I am happy that way.

I never force my lifestyle or opinions onto other people because I am not made that way.

I know I can loose weight if I want to and I also know that at sometime in the future that I will die.

I would rather and I will die a happy person instead of being miserable knowing that I would just love to eat a ........... whatever but if I do I may put on 100 grams and feel that my life has been cut short by 20 minutes.

I have too many things I want to do than worry what someone who has never met me thinks about me.

I would rather die fat, happy and have a great life than watch everything I eat and see all my friends and family die around me.

That must be worth at least 3 baht rather than the normal 50 satang.

• Like 2

Good opinion bild, i don't say that everyone has to be slim, im saying its a choice. You confirm that. Everyone should make those choices themselves.

If your happy that way power to you. I have more of a problem to people who complain that they are fat but are not willing to take the steps to remedy it.

Good opinion bild, i don't say that everyone has to be slim, im saying its a choice. You confirm that. Everyone should make those choices themselves.

If your happy that way power to you. I have more of a problem to people who complain that they are fat but are not willing to take the steps to remedy it.

I actually went on a diet a couple of years ago and it worked well for me but I found it mind numbingly boring.

I started it way back in 2006.

In 2008 I lost 12.5 kg, 2009 I lost 11kg, 2010 only 5.5kg, 2011 5.2kg but each year I slowly put it back on because I enjoy good food.

My wife is a good cook and I am shaping up that way making my own western style food.

However for what that is worth I have attached the diet that I originally got through a guy on TVF whose name has slipped my memory other than his first name is Steven.

If you read this Steven please accept my apologies.

The Australian Womens diet.doc

I have lost a lot of weight and got part of it back a few times. Last time i got it back because i was flooded stressed and there was alcohol (of all things) Started drinking.. no exercise loads of bad food.

If you really want to keep your weight you can't go on a diet you have to change your whole life style and that is the hard part. Its a lifetime commitment, if i let myself go id go to swensons every day. I just love ice creams and such. As it is now i do it once in a blue moon.

But loosing weight and keeping it off is hard, but once you get the hang of it you know you keep it off. But honestly i have no problems with overweight people (or i have to start hating my dad). My only problem is with those who complain about it and don't act or want it all the happen automatic without effort. (though it would be nice)

My opinion is that everyone can if they want loose weight it will cost time and effort. But if you learn a bit about food and learn a bit about counting calories (don't have to do it all the time) you can definitely loose weight. If you add exercise you are more likely to keep it off.. but do something you like. I like lifting but others might like swimming. Don't go full out build it slowly. Same with your food.. apply changes gradually.

Im sure there will be plenty of people not agreeing and could be an interesting discussion

I think what you say is true but not complete. You need all of the above but you also need persistence and motivation to make it work.

• Like 1

I think what you say is true but not complete. You need all of the above but you also need persistence and motivation to make it work.

Yes you do, i know because im still loosing fat and it takes time. But you have to do something like this for yourself and you have to be behind it else it wont work. Its a long commitment, the reason diets usually don't work is because after they lost the weight they go back to their old habits and gain it back.

So its something that will take a lot of time and effort and you have to keep it up. You can't do that without motivation.

Some people do choose to be fat as one of their "human rights." It's mainly so that they can eat whatever junk they like.

I think it is the other way around. They choose to eat what they like and accept the fat as collateral damage.biggrin.png

• Like 2

The very idea of choice is generally overrated. The "could-have-done-otherwise" arguments are purely hypothetical, ignoring actual contextual or situational constraints in the past and presents. I am afraid, this is not a very practical approach for future action.

I propose an alternative question: Is being fat a lifestyle?

Edited by Morakot

I started it way back in 2006.

In 2008 I lost 12.5 kg, 2009 I lost 11kg, 2010 only 5.5kg, 2011 5.2kg but each year I slowly put it back on because I enjoy good food.

IMO this contradicts your original attitude/post. You say you're happy being fat, but you dieted for 5 years in an attempt to lose it.

It looks more like you're a failed dieter rather than a person who is happy to be fat. Even the fact that you visited this forum points that way.

Let me tell you something, we all like good food - that never changes. You're no different in that regard than the rest of us.

• Like 1

The very idea of choice is generally overrated. The "could-have-done-otherwise" arguments are purely hypothetical, ignoring actual contextual or situational constraints in the past and presents. I am afraid, this is not a very practical approach for future action.

Your post is the perfect definition of "gobbledegook".laugh.png

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gooble-de-gook

http://www.urbandict...=gooble-de-gook

You are entitled to my your opinion.

http://opinion.urbanup.com/790706

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Let me tell you something, we all like good food - that never changes. You're no different in that regard than the rest of us.

Aint that the truth, if i did not worry about gaining weight id be at swensons or eat some other stuff. Though i must say my needs for these kind of things have slowly gotten less. But once you start eating it again you want it again.

I propose an alternative question: Is being fat a lifestyle?

Huh ??

I am 68 and fat because I am happy that way.

I never force my lifestyle or opinions onto other people because I am not made that way.

I know I can loose weight if I want to and I also know that at sometime in the future that I will die.

I would rather and I will die a happy person instead of being miserable knowing that I would just love to eat a ........... whatever but if I do I may put on 100 grams and feel that my life has been cut short by 20 minutes.

I have too many things I want to do than worry what someone who has never met me thinks about me.

I would rather die fat, happy and have a great life than watch everything I eat and see all my friends and family die around me.

That must be worth at least 3 baht rather than the normal 50 satang.

I have seen and heard a strikingly similar set of comments from a lot of smokers. 'Yeah, I can give up anytime, but I'd rather die happy smoking', and have also seen one of those smokers

develop oral cancer at age 65, and wished to f%$#k that he'd stopped smoking. Please don't misunderstand me, I have nothing against anybody's weight or lifestyle, as long as they don't try and project it towards me, but the 'I'd rather die happy' quote changes pretty quickly to 'I'd rather live longer' when the time comes. That said, I enjoy my food as much as anyone,but keeping it in control and doing the exercise I do is also something I like doing, a lifelong challenge, if you will. A bit of suffrage is always good for the soul.

• Like 2

http://www.urbandict...=gooble-de-gook

You are entitled to my your opinion.

http://opinion.urbanup.com/790706

It would be better if you stopped hijacking the thread. Thank you.

Aint that the truth, if i did not worry about gaining weight id be at swensons or eat some other stuff. Though i must say my needs for these kind of things have slowly gotten less. But once you start eating it again you want it again.

It's nice to eat all the crap, but when I look around me and see so many people wearing their food I find it a lot easier to pass on by.

You're the opposite of these people. You'd have to be the most determined person on this forum. I've been going over it in my head, trying to work on an easier solution for you. The best I can come up with is for you to purchase a Cybex Arc Trainer which will allow you to burn the maximum number of calories with the least perceived effort... and then work on burning an extra 1000 calories per day. The extra exercise will dull your appetite and allow you to eat more calories - and speed up your metabolism. It really is a fantastic machine because it doesn't overtrain any body parts like the bike and rowing machine tend to do. I think you could be slowing your metabolism down by constantly under feeding.

Phil Heath, the current Mr Olympia does 2 hours of cardio per day. You've got to ask yourself why. Jay Cutler was doing nearly that much too.. and Ronnie Coleman.

Then of course you need to come up with an accurate method of testing your body fat otherwise it is just guess work. What happened with that guy who was looking for a DEXA scanner? Are there any Bod Pods around in Bangkok? There has to be something. I'll be doing a DEXA scan when I get to Australia next week because I need to know how much visceral fat I'm carrying.

Edited by tropo

@tropo, i have had my down times too. During the flooding i really reverted back to all my bad habits. The stress and the lack of good food.. nothing to do and alcohol. Really was my downfall. But yes i am determined to finaly get a pair of good abs. It has never happened but now i feel im getting closer each month.

In november / december when my parents are there it will be extra hard to control my food intake as i will be on a holiday. So i will see, but i will be in the ocean a lot too. Maybe it helps a bit if i can make sure i dont eat too much.

Its relatively easy to control food intake if you cook yourself and don't eat out too much. Its a different ball game when your on a holliday.

But yes im one of those guys that has to count his calories to make progress, hard to loose fat for me. Others doing the same would have lost much more then me.

Anyway buying a cybex arc trainer would be nice but like you its a dream as i cant afford it.

Smoking, over-eating, drugs, alcohol ..... all personal lifestyle choices.

It's up to you!

Yes indeed i agree 100%, as long as your not bothering anyone with it im ok. Nobody should tell someone what to do.

Problems start if healthy people have to finance the healthcare of the unhealthy. Not happening here but back in my home country it does. So there id say let the people doing unhealthy things pay more. (no need to discuss it here) You could argue they die sooner so cost less.

• Like 2

I think it's partially down to personal Matabolism, I don't watch my diet,I drink too much,and i've never been over 9 stone,currently I am 8 stone 5 pounds.

Having said that i'm sure for most people it is poor diet that makes them fat,while in other cases it's a glandular problem,or under active thyroid gland,or some other medical problem,I know you said "no underlying medical reason" but a psychological problem would be hard to spot,if the binge eater hid themselves away,to eat.

Considering how much Thais eat (3-4 times a day),and for the most part they are a very slim Nation of people,who eat lots of Fruit and Vegetables and included small amounts of Meat and fish.

Diet plays a big role in keeping slim,but in general there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to: Fat or slim. And of course there are those that don't care about their appearance,and would rather eat as much as they like,as a personal choice.......and then there is Junk Food!

I have seen some nice documentaries, its not only metabolism but also for some they just don't feel hungry or dont have the need to eat.

I know that i am one of those guys that has to put a lot of effort in it to loose weight. My metabolism isn't that fast. That does not mean i can't loose weight just takes more of an effort as the gifted people.

MAJIC, the stones thing don't say a thing to me im all for KG's.

As for the Thais i seen plenty of fat ones too but that again is down to diet.

In the end it is a choice.. but if you don't know any better that what your eating is not good then you got a problem.

It's up to you!

Until they become an addiction which starts taking over your mind.

I've never smoked, but I've heard people say that even after decades of abstinence they can still get urges to smoke. That's one example of a mighty powerful addiction.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2

It's up to you!

I've never smoked, but I've heard people say that even after decades of abstinence they can still get urges to smoke. That's one example of a mighty powerful addiction.

Why would that be an mind taking over addiction.

I haven't been to my homecountry for over 2 years, and many times I crave for a Doned kebab the style it is sold in my country.Does that make me a Doner addict?

I have seen some nice documentaries, its not only metabolism but also for some they just don't feel hungry or dont have the need to eat.

I know that i am one of those guys that has to put a lot of effort in it to loose weight. My metabolism isn't that fast. That does not mean i can't loose weight just takes more of an effort as the gifted people.

In the end it is a choice.. but if you don't know any better that what your eating is not good then you got a problem.

I should converted, anyway 1 stone =6.35 kg

so 8.5 Stone = 53.97 Kg

"Stones" for weight is absurd. 1 stone = 14 lbs = 6.36 kg. You'd think in a highly industrialized country they'd lay it to rest along with pounds, ounces etc.

On that documentary "Why are thin people not fat" they did a rush 1 month study. If they'd slowly increased the number of calories over a longer period, even those people may have become permanently fat - we'll never know because the test was too limited. They should have worked out each persons baseline calorie consumption first and increased their consumption proportionately instead of forcing them all on 35,000 calories per week.

I can say for sure that in my teens and 20's to early 30's I could eat what I wanted and never gain weight, so I was basically one of them but with muscles. This changed from my 40's on and probably will for most of the people in that study. This is when insulin resistance can become a big issue and change everything.

All the people in that study were over 10% bodyfat, but the bearded guy was only 7%. I really don't believe it though. I would have expected to see some muscle on a guy that lean.

I should converted, anyway 1 stone =6.35 kg

so 8.5 Stone = 53.97 Kg

That is not heavy at all, wow, that is almost Thai style weight.

It's up to you!

Why would that be an mind taking over addiction.

I haven't been to my homecountry for over 2 years, and many times I crave for a Doned kebab the style it is sold in my country.Does that make me a Doner addict?

Why is smoking a "mind taking over addiction"? I thought this was well known.

It's not that difficult to resist doner kebabs which are not available here is it?

Sugar addiction is quite powerful. Many people struggle with it. Alcohol is another major problem (addiction) which causes people to put on weight.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 2