Is Being Fat A Choice (If There Is No Underlying Medical Reason)

robblok

I have read about it, and i do MAF training that according to the person promoting it would also lead to improved fat burning. I think / hope it works but like the author of that article i cant prove it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I think any exercise has to be sustainable. I've often had periods of enthusiasm for weight training for instance, only to find I burn myself out and end up training poorly. I've settled on walking/jogging as it seems to suit me and can be adjusted to suit how I feel on a day. Moreover, it peps me up whilst also burning calories so I can snack in the evening. I never feel that tired doing it, whereas after weights I used to suffer quite a bit.

Nevertheless with the most unwelcome return of the hot weather in Bangkok, I've been feeling a bit nauseous and headachy again. I guess it is heat exhaustion but does anyone have a quick remedy?, at present I shower often, drink fluids, and rest, can't think of anything else.

Yeah, what's up with this hot weather again just as we should be experiencing a cooler break? The ambient room temp in my place is 30C or higher during the day with humidity 80 - 90%.

You know, it's easy to scale weight training back and still get the benefits. Just do fewer sets, higher reps with lighter weights for awhile until the urge to go heavier comes back. There's no need to continuously cane yourself to make progress. Weight training is infinitely adjustable. There's a million ways to train. Nothing else is as versatile. The fact that you're feeling burnt out is probably a sign that you're overtraining. You could also be getting stale from doing the same program for too long.

If you run or jog, any gains you make will quickly disappear after you stop - plus you'll probably lose muscle too as running is very catabolic. What you gain in the gym will not disappear quickly, and any progress you make can be quickly regained even after a long break.

You may find this article interesting:

http://www.t-nation....oning_is_a_sham

Interesting article. I am wondering thou if this applies equally to older guys. I would need to be able to deadlift 170 kg to be considered strong that is quite a lot and puts a lot of stress on the body. The technique would need to be perfect first of all and then build up to it i suppose. Bench press .75 x seems reasonable thou I could do that okay already.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have read about it, and i do MAF training that according to the person promoting it would also lead to improved fat burning. I think / hope it works but like the author of that article i cant prove it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I think any exercise has to be sustainable. I've often had periods of enthusiasm for weight training for instance, only to find I burn myself out and end up training poorly. I've settled on walking/jogging as it seems to suit me and can be adjusted to suit how I feel on a day. Moreover, it peps me up whilst also burning calories so I can snack in the evening. I never feel that tired doing it, whereas after weights I used to suffer quite a bit.

Nevertheless with the most unwelcome return of the hot weather in Bangkok, I've been feeling a bit nauseous and headachy again. I guess it is heat exhaustion but does anyone have a quick remedy?, at present I shower often, drink fluids, and rest, can't think of anything else.

Yeah, what's up with this hot weather again just as we should be experiencing a cooler break? The ambient room temp in my place is 30C or higher during the day with humidity 80 - 90%.

You know, it's easy to scale weight training back and still get the benefits. Just do fewer sets, higher reps with lighter weights for awhile until the urge to go heavier comes back. There's no need to continuously cane yourself to make progress. Weight training is infinitely adjustable. There's a million ways to train. Nothing else is as versatile. The fact that you're feeling burnt out is probably a sign that you're overtraining. You could also be getting stale from doing the same program for too long.

If you run or jog, any gains you make will quickly disappear after you stop - plus you'll probably lose muscle too as running is very catabolic. What you gain in the gym will not disappear quickly, and any progress you make can be quickly regained even after a long break.

You may find this article interesting:

http://www.t-nation....oning_is_a_sham

Wise words. I'll get back on the side weights and will take it easy. This hot weather has hit me for six. It's amazing what just a few degrees can do.

Yeah very hot at the moment. Thankfully I am only doing two days a week at the Plastic Tent and now two days at Fairtex. Fairtex ac nice and cool good for cardio.

I'm curious. If you joined Fairtex why do you still use the plastic tent?

You'll find the aircon much better across the road and the equipment is fine.

Interesting article. I am wondering thou if this applies equally to older guys. I would need to be able to deadlift 170 kg to be considered strong that is quite a lot and puts a lot of stress on the body. The technique would need to be perfect first of all and then build up to it i suppose. Bench press .75 x seems reasonable thou I could do that okay already.

If you're old you can still gain strength but I wouldn't be using those numbers as a guide. For example I have knee arthritis, so I can throw those numbers out the window. Heavy bench press is not good for my shoulders due to crepitus - that's also out the window. Heavy deadlifts will mess up my lower back and leave me crippled.

Getting old sucks. Typing this post is making me depressed.sad.png

He wasn't referring to bench press - it was the standing military press for 0.75 body weight.

Edited by tropo

I will be doing deadlift more regularly once im back to training. Its a great exercise, i hope all my new stamina helps because whenever i do it i feel dead between the sets. Its such a heavy exercise and needs to be done in correct form. I am not going to sacrifice form for weights but i do like the exercise as it helps build strength and some mass.

I think to get back to training i will be doing full body with dead-lift and squat, bench-press and chin ups to get back into training. Then after a few weeks go back to split. At least that is my plan. Nothing heavy to start with, cant wait to start again. But still enjoying my parents here. Dad is now tiling my shower with help (needs to be done good so no Thai tradesmen) of my gf while im working on my clients. But im looking forward to the new year.

I will be posting a thread about new years resolutions soon where we can post what we want to focus on health-wise and such next year.

If you're old you can still gain strength but I wouldn't be using those numbers as a guide. For example I have knee arthritis, so I can throw those numbers out the window. Heavy bench press is not good for my shoulders due to crepitus - that's also out the window. Heavy deadlifts will mess up my lower back and leave me crippled.

Getting old sucks. Typing this post is making me depressed.sad.png

He wasn't referring to bench press - it was the standing military press for 0.75 body weight.

That is the problem when you get older.

It is all about maintenance as you age. Mother nature is working against you all the way so doing whatever you can to delay the ageing process is what it is all about.

Yeah very hot at the moment. Thankfully I am only doing two days a week at the Plastic Tent and now two days at Fairtex. Fairtex ac nice and cool good for cardio.

I didnt join Fairtex just doing it as a casual walkin rate.

Fairtex doesnt have the weights I need so i do weights at Tonys back shoulders and chest two days a week and cardio at fairtex and a bit of squash.

I am out of Pattaya anyway in mid Jan. as I just signed a one year deal with BHP so have to base in Perth not Singapore this time unfortunately so will be in Pattaya only infrequently next year so not really worthwhile buying a membership although I might spend close to 10k baht anyway by the time l leave.

Fairtex doesnt have the weights I need so i do weights at Tonys back shoulders and chest two days a week and cardio at fairtex and a bit of squash.

I am out of Pattaya anyway in mid Jan. as I just signed a one year deal with BHP so have to base in Perth not Singapore this time unfortunately so will be in Pattaya only infrequently next year so not really worthwhile buying a membership although I might spend close to 10k baht anyway by the time l leave.

At least you'll be able to find some decent (cool) gyms in Perth and there won't be too many pretty massage ladies to side track you.smile.png

At least you'll be able to find some decent (cool) gyms in Perth and there won't be too many pretty massage ladies to side track you.smile.png

The gyms are pretty good in Perth and a massage will cost you around 2k baht min for an hour (and no I dont tip the massage ladies in Perth smile.png ) but I dont mind working again for awhile especially when the money is good. Will not work 2014 first half anyway due to taxation reasons so will be back for a long stint then.

Edited by Tolley

The gyms are pretty good in Perth and a massage will cost you around 2k baht min for an hour (and no I dont tip the massage ladies in Perth smile.png ) but I dont mind working again for awhile especially when the money is good. Will not work 2014 first half anyway due to taxation reasons so will be back for a long stint then.

LOL. So your choice is great gyms and expensive massage or lousy gyms and cheap massage. Maybe by the time you get back here the California Wow mystery has been solved and someone has taken over.