Has Anyone Tried Ais Internet In Doi Saket?

TravelerEastWest

Thank you for the information.

I see few houses and no phone lines in the area that I am interested in.

My wife spoke to a few people and no one had a TOT phone or internet in the area.

I don't suppose it is possible that the phone lines on a country road could be underground? (joking)

In that case your choice is AIS 3G or True 3G. Suggestion if your have access to a smart phone pop in a cheep AIS and True Sim card and see what the signal strength is for your area then chose.

The mountain above the market where the temple is is between AIS and the land AIS is not possible. I am not sure about True.

Interestingly it turns out that running a TOT wire is not expensive. 300 meters free and then 7 baht a meter - so there may be a TOT connection possible.

I have to see how far away the DSL repeater is.

Edited by TravelerEastWest

• 10 months later...

My wife spoke to a few people and no one had a TOT phone or internet in the area.

I don't suppose it is possible that the phone lines on a country road could be underground? (joking)

We're also in Doi Saket area, close to ring road. only a few houses around & no phone lines etc. Tried 3BB for internet and they weren't interested, even though we were current customers elsewhere. Then went into the local TOT office on the 118 road & they were amazingly helpful. Got a landline number on the spot - even had a choice of numbers to select from & signed up for an ADSL connection as well. The nearest TOT junction box is about 500 metres from our house & just a few days after signing up, there was a TOT pickup truck on our soi & a couple of guys with bamboo poles stringing up my phone cable all the way from the junction box to our house & we were connected up! Surprisingly & amazingly simple. Phone & internet come on a combined bill for easy payment.

I expected this was going to cost me dearly, however all that happened was that I had to sign a bit of paper stating that I would reimburse TOT the line installation cost (a few thousand Baht - can't remember exactly) if I cancelled the service within 12 months of signing up! A copy of my passport was required & that was that - all done.

The phone works perfectly & the ADSL internet has proven to be pretty reliable. Due to the length of the line from house to junction box, the speed is not super fast, but more than acceptable for everyday use. Certainly far far better than having to rely on 3G. I was just thrilled to get a connection, when I thought it'd be impossible! Oh yes, this all happened relatively recently - about 10 months ago.

So head along to the TOT office closest to you and ask the question - you may be very pleasantly surprised!

Good luck!

Anyone got any updates for Internet options in the area? ToT,3BB,i see 3BB signs on the road there.

House doesn`t have a phone and not sure if there`s phone lines on the nearby road.

Have a read of the post I've just made to TravelerEastWest - it may help you as well.

We're also in Doi Saket area, close to ring road. only a few houses around & no phone lines etc. Tried 3BB for internet and they weren't interested, even though we were current customers elsewhere. Then went into the local TOT office on the 118 road & they were amazingly helpful. Got a landline number on the spot - even had a choice of numbers to select from & signed up for an ADSL connection as well. The nearest TOT junction box is about 500 metres from our house & just a few days after signing up, there was a TOT pickup truck on our soi & a couple of guys with bamboo poles stringing up my phone cable all the way from the junction box to our house & we were connected up! Surprisingly & amazingly simple. Phone & internet come on a combined bill for easy payment.

I expected this was going to cost me dearly, however all that happened was that I had to sign a bit of paper stating that I would reimburse TOT the line installation cost (a few thousand Baht - can't remember exactly) if I cancelled the service within 12 months of signing up! A copy of my passport was required & that was that - all done.

The phone works perfectly & the ADSL internet has proven to be pretty reliable. Due to the length of the line from house to junction box, the speed is not super fast, but more than acceptable for everyday use. Certainly far far better than having to rely on 3G. I was just thrilled to get a connection, when I thought it'd be impossible! Oh yes, this all happened relatively recently - about 10 months ago.

So head along to the TOT office closest to you and ask the question - you may be very pleasantly surprised!

Good luck!

That sounds promising as i`m not far from the 121 & 118 intersection.

I`m not familiar with the area and don` know where the ToT office is...^ near that 121&118 intersection?

Edited by Coaster11

Good luck!

That sounds promising as i`m not far from the 121 & 118 intersection.

I`m not familiar with the area and don` know where the ToT office is...^ near that 121&118 intersection?

Try this. Google Earth. GPS 18.8141360552, 99.0328987427 . On the south side of the 118 just east of the Texaco Station.

• Like 1

It`s worked out well.

There looked like a phone line running down the street out the front and with the 3BB signs down the road a bit and also a local Thai businessman told me he and other Thais near the Sanasai ToT office used 3BB and he thought it was a fast,stable service.

So i decided to pop into the 3BB office at Big C extra on the Superhighway.

There they got me to show them on Google Earth where the house was and sure enough there was a junction box 1-200m away from the house. They told me they had the infrastructure there for 2 years.

So i signed up for a 12 month contract for a 10MB line and paid 6 months in advance to cover the connection costs at 632 baht/month including tax...

They`ll be around tomorrow to install it and should be able to be used 2 days later.

Hopefully will have a good,stable internet connection.

Edited by Coaster11

TOT also offers their 'wi net' service for those located too far from the junction box and it's a directional wi fi signal that has proven to be the fastest internet I've had in the Kingdom. First time that I actually get what I'm paying for ............10meg down speeds and I'm located half way between Doi Saket and Bo Sang.

• Like 1