Things Which Are More Expensive In Thailand Than In Your Home Country?

meatballs

I just went to Pizza Hut and ordered the personal pizza for 250 baht. That is far more than I would ever spend back home for a pizza. I don't know why cheese is so expensive here. It's like a luxury item! Same with cars. Too expensive.

What makes these things so expensive here?

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supply and Demand (and government taxes/subsidies and interference) that make things more expensive in Thailand than elsewhere.

For reference, (if any one cares) many things such as cars, gasoline, houses, land, guns, ammo, alcohol all seem much much more expensive in Thailand than here in the south west of the united states. Food is about the same or slightly cheaper in the US also, unless eating at a restaurant meals. Although the servings are obviously not the same size!

Also anything imported into Thailand will be more expensive due to tariffs.

I stayed in Chiang Mai for almost 3 months, and glean a lot of info from this forum. I've come to the conclusion that as a retired person it's cheaper to live in the US, other than housing and some utilities...

I get full health coverage here for $US125.00 a month and no age limit. That's Medicare Advantage for those in the know.

I can buy a brand new Toyota Camry LE here right off the floor with no waiting for $US20,000 (615,000 baht) and we have no sales tax. Toyota Camrys are made in the US! So are Toyota pickups!

Plates and registration cost $US160 for four years. My car insurance with full coverage on me and others and my car is about $US500 a year. That's bumping my liability part up to $US500,000.

I can ride a brand new Harley Road King Classic away for $US19,000. I bought my Ford F150 full four door 4x4 XLT loaded for $US33,000 (1 million baht) after rebates.

Good Western food and sundries are way cheaper here than in LOS.

Unless I cut my standard of living in LOS and lose the hobbies and the Harleys and my full size 4x4, I don't believe I'll save a dime. For me living in LOS is about lifestyle and not money. (I do plan to cut my lifestyle and save money but it won't be the same as I live now.)

• Like 1

Geez, I forgot to mention things like electronics. I don't know what they cost in LOS. I can buy a plenty good 14" laptop for $US350 (10,700 BHT) shipped and no tax. Look at the specs and tell me what that would cost in LOS? Seriously, I'd like to know. ??

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834214599

Edit. Scroll down and click on "details" to see that it comes with a legit copy of Windows 7 home premium installed.

Edit again. Here's a screen shot in case the sale goes away. If it does another sale is always out there.

Edited by NeverSure

Lucky I have a shipment of baked beans and wine arriving from Australia today then!!

Baked beans cant be so much cheaper that it warrants a shipment from australia?...you must really love those baked beans!
  • Like 1

I tried to have this same discussion with my former employer. Salaries are low but costs are high. Even the gap in housing costs is fast disappearing. Tax is high, education costs are ridiculous.

The Thais are in stupid amounts of debt to pay for all of this so I guess in the end the banks are the winners.

After 2+ years I've had enough and am outta here....

• Like 1

100% of everything except rent/mortgage and cellphone minutes

There is not an item cheaper than comparable quality in canada.

You must live in a different Canada mate

Gasoline

Fruit,Vegetables.meat,fish,rice etc

Warm weather clothing

Ladies clothing

Medicine ( Generic paracetamol is about 30 baht for 100..Canada ( e.g. Shoppers Drug Mart) about 10 bucks?.

Utilities

Some Appliances

Telephones+calling rates

beer, cigarettes

taxis,bus fares

etc etc are far less expensive in Thailand

Agreed many imported items and western styled products and services are more expensive ( based on target market methinks) ...you pays your money and takes your choice.

Oh! how I long for a Dairy Queen burger and fries and a large coffee....tongue.png

Things like imported wine and liquor are more expensive but 2-500 baht premium is not a deal breaker depending on your lifestyle..less than a day's parking in downtown Vancouver or Melbourne...lol

Rent, the 6,000 baht variety, not the 20-30,000 baht falang type.

Lunch, the 30 to 40 baht variety, not the 400 baht falang type.

Market food, the ta-lat government controlled variety, not the Tops falang type ie: dried fruit at Tops 40 baht for 100 grams; ta-lat 100 baht for 500 grams. Boneless pork at Tops 220 baht per kilo; ta-lat 130 baht per kilo. Etc. (learn some Thai and negotiate ra-kha)

Local transportation: Songthaew 20 baht anywhere (in CM), one subway token in Toronto $3.00 (900 baht!)

You want to live like a farang in Thailand - they'll be happy to take your money. You want to live like a Thai in Thailand, it becomes one of the cheapest places in the world to live. I live well here on a crappy Canadian pension, I wouldn't even be able to pay rent on a 2 room apartment in Toronto let alone eat.

OK, I had to click the "Like This" button on your post. Now go get a Thai girlfriend or wife with extended family and see how you do compared to Canada. In Canada the wife and family probably are self contained financially.

I can't use my retirement medical care in Thailand either and if I try to replace it...

Edited by NeverSure

Remember, "you get what you pay for" many things in Thailand are not made to the same quality and spec or have the same back-up service and support you would find in the west so a direct comparison is not always going to work.

• Like 1

bloody hell there's not enough room,well my cider in the uk.costs £10 to £13 a case of 24,here it cost me 2,400bht=about £49.then there's hp sauce,branston pickle,oxo cubes it goes on and on.sad.png

But do you really need these items to live here, sure you would survive without them..biggrin.png

• Like 1

I was shocked when I saw that a tin of Cambells Mushroom Soup on a UK site was 1.65 GBP ( 80 baht) while I can buy it at Rimping...(not known for their low prices) for 48 baht.....I know its 6 years since I lived in UK,but over a quid for a tin of soup !!!..Maybe Marie Antonette's feelings was right...let them eat cake!

Ive noticed things like fridges are quite a bit cheaper in Thailand than Australia. So are motorbikes and new cars.

If you eat local and live local its alot cheaper.

UK - NEW HONDA WAVE 110i: PRICE £1,800 on the road, appx 88,000 Baht (double the price)

• Like 2