Deet Did Not Kill Canadian Sisters Audrey And Noemi Belanger: Krabi

webfact

DEET did not kill Canadian Sisters

By Staff Reporter

sisters.jpg

KRABI: -- In June this year, two Canadian sisters Noémi Bélanger, (25), and Audrey Bélanger, (20) travelled to Thailand and to a resort on Phi Phi Island.

After a night out on the beaches, the two girls were not seen again until a hotel maid used her pass key to access their room and found them both dead.

Thai authorities took the matter quickly into hand and, working together with the Canadian Embassy, investigated the deaths thoroughly and completed a series of forensic exams to establish the cause of death before the sisters were returned to their homeland.

At that time and subsequently, authorities have honoured the reported wishes of both the Canadian Embassy and the family of the deceased by not revealing the contents of their reports.

However a pair of “keen” Canadian reporters claimed to have gained unique access to the reports and went on to report that the girls had been killed asa result of ingesting DEET, a chemical compound usually applied to the skin to dissuade Mosquitoes from biting.

The story made world headlines despite Local reports that any information the journalists might have gained could well have been misinterpreted in translation .

Even when eminent toxicologists pointed out that the amount a person would have to digest for them to die from Deet poisoning was massive, they were sidelined.

Now Canadian Pathologists have confirmed, in a coroner’s report, that the levels of Deet, a pesticide,, found in the bodies of two dead sisters was NOT the cause of their death. [more...]

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...nadian-sisters/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-10-11

footer_n.gif

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is no good news for Thailand's image, even though a similar incident in the western world would hardly make the news at all. Sad to read that the solution (as is closure for the girls' parents) is still hanging in mid air. I hope for the girls, their parents, anyone wrongfully accused, and our beloved Thailand that this case will be solved soon. We don't really need more of this... sad.png

Edited by catweazle

I hope the Canadian authorities can provide answers that those in Thailand could not. The fact that there is some progress will hopefully be providing some comfort to the families of the deceased during a time of unimaginable pain.

It doesn't reflect badly on Thailand's image at all. I bet most people aren't even aware of this. Things like this don't get reported worldwide. I don't see what you think Thailand has done wrong. They investigated the deaths and found that there was no crime. The family want the cause of death kept secret. End of case.

It was certainly well covered in the press here in Hong Kong, and was front page news in some of the UK newspapers. I am not quite sure where you get the idea that it was not reported worldwide.

There has been a spate of deaths of Chinese tourists in Phuket recenly, each one of these has also been fully discussed in the local press and on the bulletin boards.

Thailand's image is taking a real pasting.

That's no story. They also didn't drown. Who cares what DIDN'T lead to their deaths? The question is...what did. Why print a story that tells nothing at all? That's news? They also weren't attacked by white sharks! What a story!

If the cause is not obvious, B.i.B. just seem to sweep it aside with any excuse. Nothing changes in Thailand lazy police (probably untrained) and sloppy police work. But is that their fault? Question is, what will the Canadian investigators do about it and what are their options?

I am pretty sure that we will never know the truth . That's too bad for Thailand image .

In my humble opinion; how hard would it have been to trace & track those two Brazilian chaps who were last seen partying with these 2 sisters.

My goodness; we have fairly sophisticated digital info. systems here in Thailand at airports & via Immigration. These boys could possibly give some pretty accurate information as to what transpired there during the party, not to mention any food ingested by the girls (puffer-fish etc. ?).

There must be many pictures among which those two boys-from-Brazil must surely feature ?!?! Some very basic but thorough detective work would have been able to clear-up this “mystery” a long time ago . . . . . .

It must be horrific for the parents - I sympathize and wish them all the strength they need !

Read more: http://www.pattaya103.com/deet-did-not-kill-canadian-sisters/#ixzz28xNJpzBM

• Like 2

Corrupt police, incompetent reporters = no justice for the 2 girls. RIP

It's the family that want the cause of death kept secret, not the police. What exactly do you want the police to do if this was an accidental death?

What makes you say it was an ''accidental death''. Go back and read the initial reports on the state of the hotel room when they found the girls. The circumstances of this tragedy are very suspicious....

That's no story. They also didn't drown. Who cares what DIDN'T lead to their deaths? The question is...what did. Why print a story that tells nothing at all? That's news? They also weren't attacked by white sharks! What a story!

I agree, no story there.

I also agree that TV members needn't snoop around looking for more. Their parents have requested no more be made public, and there is a good reason for that. They don't want their daughters' images spoiled, so let's respect that.

• Like 1

"Thai authorities took the matter quickly into hand and, working together with the Canadian Embassy, investigated the deaths thoroughly and completed a series of forensic exams to establish the cause of death before the sisters were returned to their homeland."

.Really? that's NOT the impression I got

• Like 2

They should check for Laburnum. All parts of the plant are poisonous and it's notoriously hard to detect, if I remember correctly. An acute poisoning can be lethal and cause vomiting and severe diarrhea. There's two species in that family, but both are native to Europe. There's a third species, the one in Asia, that some people count to the Laburnum family, others don't. It is poisonous, too, and it's quite common in Asia and goes by the common names "Golden Shower" or "Golden-Chain Tree".