Mps Are Told Of Troubles With Computer Tablets: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Poor choice of hardware

Poor choice of hardware ? Could you please explain ?

I don't say you're wrong, I just would like to have more details about this deal and why do you think the hardware should be considered as the cause of the troubles.

It sounds like the battery is a problem that is a piece of hardware

Battery, power cords are bought from sub contractors. It's an easy problem to fix. The main supplier is may be trying to save some money by buying cheaper components. It's not nice but it's an easy problem to fix.

Good idea that children cannot take tablets home (big brother give it to me i want to use BREAK) keep them at school 2 hours a day enough for class 1 students.

Actually it completely defeats the purpose of the tablets, the main benefit from such things would be to allow children to explore the software and data on the machines by themselves, self learning.

But not only they can't take them home, IIRC the budget for school books was removed to finance this boondoggle so now kids just can't study at home. Brilliant.

What is the use of two hours of tablet usage at the classroom? what can they teach that a teacher can't?

Edited by AleG

I don't say you're wrong, I just would like to have more details about this deal and why do you think the hardware should be considered as the cause of the troubles.

Battery, power cords are bought from sub contractors. It's an easy problem to fix. The main supplier is may be trying to save some money by buying cheaper components. It's not nice but it's an easy problem to fix.

In theory yes, in practice probably, but in Thailand ?

No budget, unresponsive supplier, unclear specification in contract, many year long court case.

No budget, unresponsive supplier, unclear specification in contract, many year long court case.

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in no more than two phone call smile.png

Edited by JurgenG

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in less than two phone call smile.png

That would be unauthorized interference in a government procurement process. biggrin.png

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in no more than two phone call smile.png

Thanks Jurgen. We need 900,000 higher quality batteries and chargers. The budget for acquisition is B Zero as they have already been paid for in the original contract purchase price.

Made in China

Thanks Jurgen. We need 900,000 higher quality batteries and chargers. The budget for acquisition is B Zero as they have already been paid for in the original contract purchase price.

Impossible has no translation in Chinese biggrin.png

Beside, as far as I know the tablets have not been fully delivered, which means they haven't been paid.

• Like 1

Made in China

Impossible has no translation in Chinese biggrin.png

Beside, as far as I know the tablets have not been fully delivered, which means they haven't been paid.

Good of you to highlight the non-delivery. IMHO it is a cunning plan to defer delivery until next school year, thus cutting the cost of that acquisition by 2/3. Of course, some will see this as a failure on the government's part to keep its election promises while others will say it is just a work in progress even if they only manage to deliver 300,000 per calendar year.

Good of you to highlight the non-delivery. IMHO it is a cunning plan to defer delivery until next school year, thus cutting the cost of that acquisition by 2/3. Of course, some will see this as a failure on the government's part to keep its election promises while others will say it is just a work in progress even if they only manage to deliver 300,000 per calendar year.

I wonder what their plans are for next year. Do the current grade ones get to take them through, or do they get handed down to next year's grade ones?

If they do get handed down, does that mean the 80% of grade ones that don't have them just miss out completely?

Of course, by the end of the year, most students will have their tablets, but quite a few will have only had them for a month or two ... and for only 1-2 hours per day.

Another sterling piece of anti propaganda from the Nation. A distinct lack of facts and a lot of speculative waffle. Nice to see the usual political neigh sayers have jumped on this thread to voice their outrage over a complete non article!

I'm sure there's a real risk of electrical shock from a LV DC charger... far greater potential for electrocution than your average Thai shop/ restaurant with "professionally" twisted and taped mains joints open to the elements! A LV DC charger would not pass mains voltage to the device, it's virtually impossible - that's from someone with a degree in electronics and 15+ years professional experience. I have never seen it happen or heard of it happen.

Given the incredibly poor state of Thai electrical installations generally the tablets would be the last of my concerns for my children getting electrocuted at school... far more likely to get juiced by a mains device with no/ poor earth or a miss-wired 3 phase install; Thai "electricians" commonly neglect to wire an earth and then put devices on different phases within touching distance giving you the potential for a fatal shock.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/45838-5-year-old-boy-electrocuted-at-hospital/

One of many electrocutions that happen in Thailand... with mains voltage devices!

• Like 1

St

Another sterling piece of anti propaganda from the Nation. A distinct lack of facts and a lot of speculative waffle. Nice to see the usual political neigh sayers have jumped on this thread to voice their outrage over a complete non article!

I'm sure there's a real risk of electrical shock from a LV DC charger... far greater potential for electrocution than your average Thai shop/ restaurant with "professionally" twisted and taped mains joints open to the elements! A LV DC charger would not pass mains voltage to the device, it's virtually impossible - that's from someone with a degree in electronics and 15+ years professional experience. I have never seen it happen or heard of it happen.

Given the incredibly poor state of Thai electrical installations generally the tablets would be the last of my concerns for my children getting electrocuted at school... far more likely to get juiced by a mains device with no/ poor earth or a miss-wired 3 phase install; Thai "electricians" commonly neglect to wire an earth and then put devices on different phases within touching distance giving you the potential for a fatal shock.

http://www.thaivisa....ed-at-hospital/

One of many electrocutions that happen in Thailand... with mains voltage devices!

Still defending this tablet thing. It was implemented to get votes. You still don't get it..

Even when the tablet program is cancelled and the tablets are recycled, you will most probably still be defending it.

• Like 2

What you'd want your children using a tablet for more than 1-2 hours a day? Seems pretty contrary to earlier posts you have made on the subject... I'd have thought 1-2 hours a day would be ample to supplement more traditional learning methods.

I really don't understand the focus on internet use of the tablets though and the lack of wifi as an issue preventing their use... why would they need wifi connections to run learning apps that are already loaded into the devices memory?

According to many of the government reports, the applications require information and updates from the internet. Isn't that why the free wifi is a big part of this project?

St

Still defending this tablet thing. It was implemented to get votes. You still don't get it..

Even when the tablet program is cancelled and the tablets are recycled, you will most probably still be defending it.

Orville............Wilbur.............that contraption ain't never gonna fly, mark my words!
  • Like 1

the ever-changing claims on the manufacturer's capabilities.... :ermm:

April 25, 2012

Tablets 'could take nearly 3 years'

BANGKOK: -- Thai students will likely have to wait longer than expected for their promised computer tablets, as the China-based provider can only produce around 1,000 per day

====================================================================

15 days later:

Liu Jun, Chairman of Scope, said the company can produce more than 20,000 tablets per day.

"I'm certain that our company can deliver the tablets in time."

China Daily - May 10, 2012

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-05/10/content_15261641.htm

===================================================================

The next day...

Shenzhen Scope's Liu said the company was confident of delivering all the tablets to the Thai government within the time frame specified in the contract. The company's production capacity is 30,000 units per day.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Bt1-billion-tablet-deal-inked-30181747.html

===================================================================

Amazing China ... <_<

St

Still favouring blanket disapproval based on political leanings rather than actually addressing any perceived issues with the scheme based on factual information and rational discussion... what a surprise!

Clearly you haven't actually read my previous posts on the subject where I categorically state that I believe the initial conception of the scheme was a popular vote buying tactic. I'm afraid this is part and parcel of politics these days, perhaps you'd prefer a military dictatorship? "No more taxes"... at least these guys appear to be trying to follow through with their promises...

It's like criticising an athlete for winning a race because they trained, studied their opponents and prepared for the race while your favoured runner just turned up and assumed that in the event he lost his connections would rig the results and forcibly remove the actual winner...

I think this project is just another reflection on the present governments program to get into power. This and other promises made to secure votes, have been carried out, with the same self intrest as were the promises. This scam started as a promise for ALL Students, its been modified, for a small percentage of those in power, to benifit at the expense of the students, and the education system, with the Thai public footing the bill.

This is probably one of the least costly projects as it is a part of a education budget, which is way down on the priorty list.

I wonder what their plans are for next year. Do the current grade ones get to take them through, or do they get handed down to next year's grade ones?

If they do get handed down, does that mean the 80% of grade ones that don't have them just miss out completely?

Of course, by the end of the year, most students will have their tablets, but quite a few will have only had them for a month or two ... and for only 1-2 hours per day.

What you'd want your children using a tablet for more than 1-2 hours a day? Seems pretty contrary to earlier posts you have made on the subject... I'd have thought 1-2 hours a day would be ample to supplement more traditional learning methods.

I really don't understand the focus on internet use of the tablets though and the lack of wifi as an issue preventing their use... why would they need wifi connections to run learning apps that are already loaded into the devices memory?

After their 1-2 hours of tablet use, they can pretend to read the textbooks that were cancelled to pay for the tablets.

• Like 1

New tablets will be purchased every year for new Prathom 1 students.

Current students with a ScoPad will keep them and in three years own them.

New curriculum is being written for them over that time frame.

“The students who will receive the tablets will be able to take them home, if parents and teachers allow them. The children will have ownership of the tablets after three years,” said Education Minister Suchart Thada-Thamrongvech.

New curriculum is currently being developed for grades 2 through 4 which will make use of the tablets, but it’s not clear when that will be released to the teachers.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/07/20/thailands-one-tablet-per-child-program-ships-its-first-55-thousand-tablets/#.UHeLMpgY2So

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

St

Still favouring blanket disapproval based on political leanings rather than actually addressing any perceived issues with the scheme based on factual information and rational discussion... what a surprise!

Clearly you haven't actually read my previous posts on the subject where I categorically state that I believe the initial conception of the scheme was a popular vote buying tactic. I'm afraid this is part and parcel of politics these days, perhaps you'd prefer a military dictatorship? "No more taxes"... at least these guys appear to be trying to follow through with their promises...

It's like criticising an athlete for winning a race because they trained, studied their opponents and prepared for the race while your favoured runner just turned up and assumed that in the event he lost his connections would rig the results and forcibly remove the actual winner...

I tell you now that within 2-3 years this tablet thing is cancelled. Let's see.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

According to many of the government reports, the applications require information and updates from the internet. Isn't that why the free wifi is a big part of this project?

Could you possibly provide a link to one of these many Government reports?

Great news if they are planning to expand the internet infrastructure off the back of this scheme but I can't see that a tablet is unusable without wifi, especially not in the context of learning apps for primary school students. It would be helpful to clarify exactly what these apps require.

Wifi keeps getting banded about but wifi can effectively be a single WAP creating a local network for local sharing of info... all that this would require is a cheap wap and a power socket. Obviously internet access requires slightly more legwork and cost as it would involve actually routing broadband to the schools to then be distributed via wifi.... or are we actually talking 3/4G?

St

Looking back through Thai political history you're quite probably correct. I sincerely doubt that this Government will get the chance to actually see any of it's schemes through before being usurped.

Of course that's got beggar all to do with my post or the discussion here but hey, I'm getting used to you running off on tangents!

The TOT spent Bt200 million to hire a private company to make software to prevent the children from accessing to pornographic sites, the panel was told.

How come this little caveat was hiding. Of course, if the things are only many to be used at school, a network based solution could have been more than feasible.

The most feasible solution is always the one where a party supporter of friend of the ruling elite stands to make the most money.

Edited by fstarbkk
  • Like 1

Looking back through Thai political history you're quite probably correct. I sincerely doubt that this Government will get the chance to actually see any of it's schemes through before being usurped.

Of course that's got beggar all to do with my post or the discussion here but hey, I'm getting used to you running off on tangents!

Let's stick to the tablet scam. Are you saying that it will be the opposition’s fault if the scam gets cancelled?

Nobody could successfully implement this major scheme in a short period without proper preparation. Just doing what you have promised doesn’t deserve credit when it costs the taxpayers billions of baht.

Why is Yingluck constantly travelling the world with a plane full of business owners and executives? Correct "creating" business opportunities...

Why is she not spending more time on improving education? Correct, no short-time political gain can be achieved.

What all parties can do very well is promise and spend. Is that the correct way to educate your children??

• Like 2

Let's stick to the tablet scam. Are you saying that it will be the opposition’s fault if the scam gets cancelled?

Nobody could successfully implement this major scheme in a short period without proper preparation. Just doing what you have promised doesn’t deserve credit when it costs the taxpayers billions of baht.

Why is Yingluck constantly travelling the world with a plane full of business owners and executives? Correct "creating" business opportunities...

Why is she not spending more time on improving education? Correct, no short-time political gain can be achieved.

What all parties can do very well is promise and spend. Is that the correct way to educate your children??

Such a great post you felt the need to post it in triplicate... oh and again and again! One too many coffees this morning perhaps?

Nicky please try actually responding to the points I and others have raised rather than launching off on some nonsensical diatribe. You start by saying let's focus on the tablet scheme (for you scam; appears you've made up your mind already, facts/ results be damned!) then you do the exact opposite and launch off on a rant about the PM.

Take a deep breath, read my earlier posts, reply to the actual context and we might be able to actually have a worthwhile discussion.

• Like 1

and no one saw this coming

You get a larger order of cheap tablets from China

What were people expecting?

On another note, seems pretty stupid to give

them to students then tell them they can only use them

for 2 hours a day and that you cannot take them home.

Perhaps the two hour a day limit was imposed because

they Gov't new they would not last long

and no one saw this coming

You get a larger order of cheap tablets from China

What were people expecting?

On another note, seems pretty stupid to give

them to students then tell them they can only use them

for 2 hours a day and that you cannot take them home.

Perhaps the two hour a day limit was imposed because

they Gov't new they would not last long

More like amount of electrical storage between recharges.

"The TOT spent Bt200 million to hire a private company to make software to prevent the children from accessing to pornographic sites, the panel was told."

Lucky private company! What an utter load of crap! Be interesting to see who owns the "private company" or who is on their board of director's................wink.png

• Like 1

The TOT spent Bt200 million to hire a private company to make software to prevent the children from accessing to pornographic sites, the panel was told.

I have been working on network and system security projects for large government agencies, banks and healthcare and, with the knowledge of theThai Software industry (including Telco), makes me really wonder how could they come out with such a budget in this context...

• Like 1

only 700 out of 30,000 schools have wireless Internet connections for the tablets

What happened to the 30 Billion Baht spent for free nation-wide WiFi?

unsure.pngermm.gifdry.png

Who said it had been spent? You don't provide anything to back up your accusation. It could be that

TOT plans to spend 30 billion baht to build an additional 12,000 3G base stations nationwide under its second phase 3G network expansion

TOT Plc feels it must accelerate listing its three subsidiaries in the stock exchange as soon as possible in order to raise money to ease its heavy financial burden.

The state telecom enterprise plans to list its three units _ Telecom Tower Sharing, Optical-fibre Sharing and Application Co _ on the SET in 2013.

The first two companies will rent telecom network equipment for its existing second-generation (2G) infrastructure and its new 3G network to all operators. The application firm is designed to serve the arrival of full 3G commercial data service.

http://www.apecdoc.org/site/thailand/page/2/

In addition to the 20,000 hot spots provided so far by the government, TRUE have already offered 50,000 more and AIS is committed to providing 50,000 free wifi hotspots as well. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/588848-250000-free-wi-fi-spots-for-thailand-next-year/#entry5722897

The 120,000 will go some way to the the projected figure of 250,000 next year and alleviate some of the concerns on this forum about free wireless coverage, but somehow, I doubt that it will. The same old posters will find something to whinge about over the government efforts.