Mps Are Told Of Troubles With Computer Tablets: Thailand

only 700 out of 30,000 schools have wireless Internet connections for the tablets

What happened to the 30 Billion Baht spent for free nation-wide WiFi?

:unsure::ermm:<_<

Gone into some politician's or some public servant's personal expense account.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear. Poor choice of hardware

Poor choice of hardware ? Could you please explain ?

I don't say you're wrong, I just would like to have more details about this deal and why do you think the hardware should be considered as the cause of the troubles.

It sounds like the battery is a problem that is a piece of hardware

Battery, power cords are bought from sub contractors. It's an easy problem to fix. The main supplier is may be trying to save some money by buying cheaper components. It's not nice but it's an easy problem to fix.

Good idea that children cannot take tablets home (big brother give it to me i want to use BREAK) keep them at school 2 hours a day enough for class 1 students.

Actually it completely defeats the purpose of the tablets, the main benefit from such things would be to allow children to explore the software and data on the machines by themselves, self learning.

But not only they can't take them home, IIRC the budget for school books was removed to finance this boondoggle so now kids just can't study at home. Brilliant.

What is the use of two hours of tablet usage at the classroom? what can they teach that a teacher can't?

Edited by AleG

I don't say you're wrong, I just would like to have more details about this deal and why do you think the hardware should be considered as the cause of the troubles.

Battery, power cords are bought from sub contractors. It's an easy problem to fix. The main supplier is may be trying to save some money by buying cheaper components. It's not nice but it's an easy problem to fix.

In theory yes, in practice probably, but in Thailand ?

No budget, unresponsive supplier, unclear specification in contract, many year long court case.

No budget, unresponsive supplier, unclear specification in contract, many year long court case.

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in no more than two phone call smile.png

Edited by JurgenG

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in less than two phone call smile.png

That would be unauthorized interference in a government procurement process. biggrin.png

Made in China

If they have problem, just PM me, my assistant will solve the problem in no more than two phone call smile.png

Thanks Jurgen. We need 900,000 higher quality batteries and chargers. The budget for acquisition is B Zero as they have already been paid for in the original contract purchase price.

Made in China

Thanks Jurgen. We need 900,000 higher quality batteries and chargers. The budget for acquisition is B Zero as they have already been paid for in the original contract purchase price.

Impossible has no translation in Chinese biggrin.png

Beside, as far as I know the tablets have not been fully delivered, which means they haven't been paid.

• Like 1

Made in China

Impossible has no translation in Chinese biggrin.png

Beside, as far as I know the tablets have not been fully delivered, which means they haven't been paid.

Good of you to highlight the non-delivery. IMHO it is a cunning plan to defer delivery until next school year, thus cutting the cost of that acquisition by 2/3. Of course, some will see this as a failure on the government's part to keep its election promises while others will say it is just a work in progress even if they only manage to deliver 300,000 per calendar year.

Good of you to highlight the non-delivery. IMHO it is a cunning plan to defer delivery until next school year, thus cutting the cost of that acquisition by 2/3. Of course, some will see this as a failure on the government's part to keep its election promises while others will say it is just a work in progress even if they only manage to deliver 300,000 per calendar year.

I wonder what their plans are for next year. Do the current grade ones get to take them through, or do they get handed down to next year's grade ones?

If they do get handed down, does that mean the 80% of grade ones that don't have them just miss out completely?

Of course, by the end of the year, most students will have their tablets, but quite a few will have only had them for a month or two ... and for only 1-2 hours per day.

Another sterling piece of anti propaganda from the Nation. A distinct lack of facts and a lot of speculative waffle. Nice to see the usual political neigh sayers have jumped on this thread to voice their outrage over a complete non article!

I'm sure there's a real risk of electrical shock from a LV DC charger... far greater potential for electrocution than your average Thai shop/ restaurant with "professionally" twisted and taped mains joints open to the elements! A LV DC charger would not pass mains voltage to the device, it's virtually impossible - that's from someone with a degree in electronics and 15+ years professional experience. I have never seen it happen or heard of it happen.

Given the incredibly poor state of Thai electrical installations generally the tablets would be the last of my concerns for my children getting electrocuted at school... far more likely to get juiced by a mains device with no/ poor earth or a miss-wired 3 phase install; Thai "electricians" commonly neglect to wire an earth and then put devices on different phases within touching distance giving you the potential for a fatal shock.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/45838-5-year-old-boy-electrocuted-at-hospital/

One of many electrocutions that happen in Thailand... with mains voltage devices!

• Like 1

St

Another sterling piece of anti propaganda from the Nation. A distinct lack of facts and a lot of speculative waffle. Nice to see the usual political neigh sayers have jumped on this thread to voice their outrage over a complete non article!

I'm sure there's a real risk of electrical shock from a LV DC charger... far greater potential for electrocution than your average Thai shop/ restaurant with "professionally" twisted and taped mains joints open to the elements! A LV DC charger would not pass mains voltage to the device, it's virtually impossible - that's from someone with a degree in electronics and 15+ years professional experience. I have never seen it happen or heard of it happen.

Given the incredibly poor state of Thai electrical installations generally the tablets would be the last of my concerns for my children getting electrocuted at school... far more likely to get juiced by a mains device with no/ poor earth or a miss-wired 3 phase install; Thai "electricians" commonly neglect to wire an earth and then put devices on different phases within touching distance giving you the potential for a fatal shock.

http://www.thaivisa....ed-at-hospital/

One of many electrocutions that happen in Thailand... with mains voltage devices!

Still defending this tablet thing. It was implemented to get votes. You still don't get it..

Even when the tablet program is cancelled and the tablets are recycled, you will most probably still be defending it.

• Like 2

What you'd want your children using a tablet for more than 1-2 hours a day? Seems pretty contrary to earlier posts you have made on the subject... I'd have thought 1-2 hours a day would be ample to supplement more traditional learning methods.

I really don't understand the focus on internet use of the tablets though and the lack of wifi as an issue preventing their use... why would they need wifi connections to run learning apps that are already loaded into the devices memory?

According to many of the government reports, the applications require information and updates from the internet. Isn't that why the free wifi is a big part of this project?

St

http://www.thaivisa....ed-at-hospital/

Still defending this tablet thing. It was implemented to get votes. You still don't get it..

Even when the tablet program is cancelled and the tablets are recycled, you will most probably still be defending it.

Orville............Wilbur.............that contraption ain't never gonna fly, mark my words!
  • Like 1