Comfortable Route (3 Week Round Myanmar Trip)

kian

Hi everyone, i am going to Burma for a 3 week trip in November, and I'd like the advice of someone already done the trip about the easiest route (to reduce the number of hours spent on the buses), i am not taking any planes, or trains in the country, but i am open to buses, and boats (slower, prefered).

My route is Yangoon-Mandalay-Bagan-Yangoon, i am thinking to forget Inle Lake, as it will increase the number of hours I have to spend on buses, as i don't like the music, or movies they plan on buses, either in day to pass the time, or at night when people are trying to sleep. I have headphones, but the noise is so great it sneaks its way into my ears anyways. I have to take buses, but i want to reduce time spent on board

I have heard it's best to take the main road between Yangoon-Mandalay, as the amount of time needed to travel is less, than if going Yangoon-Bagan, for example, therefore here's my idea

Yangoon-Mandalay (express bus, main highway, $10 ticket?)

Mandaly-Bagan (slow boat, also $10, i dont know)

Bagan-Yangoon (i am not sure how)

3 weeks, 1 week each area, side trips possible, let me know what you think? Thanks

Bagan: besides a templetour (this is a must), visit mount Popa by rented car. Staying there for one week may be a bit on the long side.

Mandalay: the options are endless, but to mention a few:

1. Unfortunately the Zaygyo Market has been closed (so you will miss this option).
  2. Mingun: go there by your own boat. I rented a boat for day for 25.000 Kyats. Just go to the jetty, walk around pretending you want to rent and they will come to you.
  3. Depending on the date you are in Mandalay there may be a Nats festival organised between Mandalay and Mingun. A very colourful event. You can go there on your way to Mingun (just ask the captain for a stop).
  4. In Mandalay, take a walk over the Ayayarwaddy jetty. You will go back at least 50 years in time.
  5. When leaving Mandalay Hill turn to the left and you will come across wonderful pagodas. One of them is named ‘Sannandawya Sandamuni Pagoda’.
  6. Visit the Mandalay flower market at end of street 22
  7. Visit all the ‘have to do things’ as in the Lonely Planet’ as U-Bein bridge and Amarapura Monastry.
  8. Etc. etc.

Make a sidetrip to Monywa by bus (around 70 km or something like that) and visit the Sambuddhe Pagoda. On your way to this Pagoda you will see many interesting things as gardens with Buddha Statues (very impressive) and so on (too much to write here). A little distance away is the Sakya Pagoda. This is (I believe) not a forum for pictures otherwise I could post some.

You can also go by share taxi to other places around Mandalay.

I could make this list almost endless, but I hope this is good start.

Happy planning !

Very nice post! And yes, pictures are fine.

OP: What are you doing regarding hotels? I've heard they are getting more and more expensive.

The latter is true but mainly for Yangon. Once in the country side prices did not change too much (as far as I know). I have stayed in 5 star hotels as Traders and Park Royal in Yangon and Mandalay Hill in Mandalay, but also in hotels in the countryside with no rating. I have never been disappointed.

Staff is very friendly and doing their best to give you a good time. They all speak English or at least make an attempt to do so, but are sometimes they may be a bit shy.

Pictures .... well I must have thousands in the mean time. Difficult to make a selection. Tell me what you want to see and I will post (as long as I have and as long it is allowed on this board).

I made a seperate post about accomodation, i need help in that area.

If you are going off the beaten track it is sometimes not so easy to get information. I spend a lot of time on searching (and yes, google is my friend) and therefore it may take a lot of time before you have prepared a trip. But for one reason or the other it always works out well.

There are a lot of websites providing info on Myanmar.

I could give a number of sites I'm using, but not sure if the moderators are happy wilt that (maybe I should read the rules first).

Any pics that you think would be of interest to us would be great! wai2.gif

As for links, we don't like links to other forums. Hate the competition! tongue.png

If it's a forum, then a PM is the best route. Links to articles on traveling in the country are fine. Like something from a newspaper, etc.

10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums . Not to flood, post commercial or for-profit advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and similar solicitations. Any member who violates this prohibition will be banned from all forums on this website.Advertisers are the only members allowed to post links, URL's or addresses to their sites.