Accommodation With Chula Access Needed

I'm coming to Chula for research from January until mid of May 2013.

Unfortunately, I'll be living on a tight budget due to a schorlaship and can't afford more than 10.000 Baht per month including bills.

What I'm looking for is a safe (I'm female, wouldn't want to walk around dark sois a lot) and clean place with WiFi in the room, A/C and decent access to Chula and Ploenchit at best (language school).

I wouldn't mind sharing a flat with the right people either, although I do know it's not common in Thailand.

Have searched various sites and offers already but have so far not been too successful.

Thanks smile.png!

Edited by ragamuffin

1.you clearly have no idea about what is cheap in BKK-10K is high medium

2.your eternal worries about females being more prone to nighttime hassles is also quite unThai unneeded, and BKk has no clear ''unsafe''zones-this is not the USA

3.best bet would be to contact Chula-uni first, they have some special flats on their grounds for overseas exchange students/researchers.

(PS: cheap rooms with free WiFi inside are VERY rare). But free WiFi is common all over BKK-bigcity-at least close to any govt. bulding and school and even in most parks now.

1.you clearly have no idea about what is cheap in BKK-10K is high medium

2.your eternal worries about females being more prone to nighttime hassles is also quite unThai unneeded, and BKk has no clear ''unsafe''zones-this is not the USA

3.best bet would be to contact Chula-uni first, they have some special flats on their grounds for overseas exchange students/researchers.

(PS: cheap rooms with free WiFi inside are VERY rare). But free WiFi is common all over BKK-bigcity-at least close to any govt. bulding and school and even in most parks now.

I know what cheap means. Friends of mine lived off Ramkhamhaeng for 2500 quid. They didn't have to travel to Chula, though.

This is not my first time in BKK and on-campus acommodation is a) fully booked and B) very restricted. Therefore not an option.

WiFi IN the room is necessary since I'll have to work on my thesis and would like to stay in touch with my folks at home. Skyping in libraries etc. won't do.

I'd really appreciate recommendations regarding housing up to 10.000 Baht including bills. The less the better, but still: I don't feel too comfy in darkish sois and would prefer to live around BTS/MRT.

Thanks!

M.A. thesis and PhD prep work on English Language Teaching (ELT) in Thailand: "The character of ELT in Thailand: CLT, postmodern pedagogy or a regional variety?"

CLT = Communicative Language Teaching

I don't mind taking the bus, BTS etc. as long as Chula is easily accessible and it won't take me too long getting there.

I'll also need to go to Ploenchit from time to time (language school).

Ragamuffin

Some options in terms of areas...I can't suggest a specific apartment as I don't know but hopefully the area will help you narrow thjngs down

Victory monument, perhaps soi rangnam

This is close to sky train, so not too long to get to Chula

Or try the pratunam area. Note that this is a busy area, and traffic can be bad. It's near the airport link, which connects to sky train. A bit of a detour to get to chula, but not impossible, and not crazily far away

Rental jn the area should be reasonable. I knew friends who were paying 5000 to 6000 a month excluding bills. Internet not included, but you are better off making your own arrangement on that front

Both locations have lots of food options, and lots of people living there so should be fairly safe. Apart from cases of pickpockets I suppose

Or, guessing expatoilworker sounds like he might consider renting out his spare room to you? send him a PM to discuss further?

All the best

Another thought....

Someone mentioned to me a couple months ago that many of the smaller shop houses near Hualumphong central railway, were converting their rooms into mini guest houses. Mostly getting short term tourist perhaps, but might be worth checking them out?

Again, I don't have exact contact details, and will likely require a personal visit to scout around

You might also try Sathorn Soi 1. There are a bunch of places along there with easy access to Rama IX and therefore not too far from Chula etc. I have a friend that stays in a place called the blooms. I think the rent is around 7k per month with wifi available but an additional charge - certainly that would all come in within your budget tho.

Rangnam is also a decent area so worth checking out.

There are places that have rooms for rent around the Rachathewi BTS.

My daughter rented a room for a few months in a place on a dead end soi close to Rachathewi intersection beside Bank of Ayudhya

There are some more places on Phetburi also

Pomrak

I did a quick online search and found one advertised there for 15k a month

Appreciate if you can share contact details if you are aware of any being rented out in the 10k range?

Many thanks