Heineken Cup And Munsters Path To European Glory

Mossfinn

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19874783

Leinster batte to a narrow victory.

Exeter looked like they were up for a battle and hustled a more quality Leinster 15, a more intriguing than quality game.

Leinster will again be the tean to beat this year though.

Clermont stuffed Scarlets mind.

Clermont v Leinster will be the toughest, I remember last years semi, a 5 minute siege on the Leinster try line and D'arcy making a 5m wonder tackle to win the game.

• 1 month later...

A very hard fought game, notable citations for O'Gara for the points, Felix for a try saving tackle, Coughlan througout the game, but a Captains performance from Howlett, quite spetacular.

And the English mantra, we are not worried in regard to Fortress Thomond Park, ask Farrell regarding his kicking.

Munster are not what they were, I feel it will be close in London next week, but crickey a tough, tough match, typified by two english forwards holding down and striking big Donncha, the rest of the Irish team ran by and secured the ball, once the ball was secured, turned back and put their forwards to flight.

Ulster showed their class last night with a brilliant victory at the Northampton Gardens, Connacht with an astonishing victory over Biaritz, but the real big one tomorrow, Clermont v Leinster, a grudge match between the two best teams in the the Northern Hemisphere.

Well, it was grudge match and tough to boot and it turned into a kicking game.

15-12 to Clermont, return match next week at the Aviva.

It could have gone either way or even a draw, but in the end they just cancelled each other out and both went for penalties.

Clermont 5o games unbeaten at the Stadio Michelin and Leinster 17 games unbeaten in the HK, something had to give.

Well, I got up bright and early to catch the delayed telecast of the Edinburgh - Racing game before work and I'm beginning to regret it.

Piers Francis is not having a good day with the boot, and Racing lead 6-0; Edinburgh forwards doing well up front, but Racing's running looks the more incisive. Tim Visser is missing, injured.

At last he gets one; then at the lineout, a bit of confusion and he's off, up the wing - it's Ross Ford! Not the usual stature for a race up the touch line, and to be fair, he's scarcely outdistancing the pursuing defenders... another missed penalty ensures.

And after a performance like that, I am lucky that I have work to go to, on a Saturday morning

Edinburgh 3 - 15 Racing Metro

SC

Clearly a glutton for punishment, I'm sitting down now with my Irn Bru for Castres - Glasgow; Glasgow also looking for their first win of the tournament...

And after a performance like that, I am lucky that I have work to go to, on a Saturday morning

Edinburgh 3 - 15 Racing Metro

SC

Clearly a glutton for punishment, I'm sitting down now with my Irn Bru for Castres - Glasgow; Glasgow also looking for their first win of the tournament...

Ryan Wilson slices through the Castres defence, John Barclay is with him and he pulls a hamstring as he crashes over the line, two defenders hammering into him, and the sides go in for oranges Glasgow leading the home side by 8 to 3. Remember that a win for Castre would see them climb above Northampton into second place in Pool 4.. Glasgow will remain bottom of the pool no matter what the result

Ryan Wilson slices through the Castres defence, John Barclay is with him and he pulls a hamstring as he crashes over the line, two defenders hammering into him, and the sides go in for oranges Glasgow leading the home side by 8 to 3. Remember that a win for Castre would see them climb above Northampton into second place in Pool 4.. Glasgow will remain bottom of the pool no matter what the result

Heroic defence sees Glasgow withstand sustained pressure, until two yellow cards take their toll. Castres, fortunate not to have a player sent off for stamping to the head, score a converted try. Ruaridh Jackson strikes the post with a penalty that would have won the game, and Castres climb past Northampton but still trail Ulster, with a 10 - 8 home win.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 2 weeks later...

This may be of interest to you Irish chaps...

Leinster - Connaught in the Rabodirect XII on Astro this coming week, I think, on Saturday night / Sunday morning - same channel as the Aviva Premiership games, so may be on Truesports as well

SC

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just about to get sat down on the sofa and crack open an Irn Bru (every little helps) ahead of the Edinburgh - Munster game. Edinburgh yet to score a try in this season's Heineken Cup, a complete disappointment after last year

SC