Wages Inquiry

ivan96822

If a school in bangkok states that they pay 30,000 baht or 60,000 baht a month, how much do you actually take home before taxes?

I have applied at an international school which claims to pay 60,000 baht a month (I am a qualified teacher in the west), but I cannot help but wonder if I will walk away with 60,000 baht a month...

Any and all insightful responses will be welcomed. Thanks.

Not an expert but believe the follwing is true

You get 150k tax free, then

150 to 500 10%

500 to 1m. 20%

If u earn 720k฿pa

350k฿ x 10% = 35,000

220k฿ x 20% = 44,000

Total 79,000pa

Or about 6500pm

You can deduct for all sorts of Thai things like parental healthcare etc etc, not sure about accommodation.

Obviously it's the over-500k bit that hurts, so would good if you could get allowances to keep you below that figure, don't know if possible.

Cheeryble

Okay, okay, thanks, gents, for the responses....Let's make this easier, since I am far from the math type of guy....

Say one is teaching at a school in Bangkok and earning 30,000 baht per month: how much does said teacher walk away with? 30,000 baht, 25,000 baht, __________ baht?

60k would be taxed around 4-5k a month.

In BKK, 60k is very low for an international school. I hope they add in a 20k housing allowance and flights and bonuses.

What would you say is a typical international salary (per month) then?

I have been teaching for four years. I have a Bachelor's in English, a teaching credential from the state of Hawaii, and a Master's degree in education. I am curious as to what salary you would demand if you had a similar background and qualifications?

Thanks.

Okay, okay, thanks, gents, for the responses....Let's make this easier, since I am far from the math type of guy....

Say one is teaching at a school in Bangkok and earning 30,000 baht per month: how much does said teacher walk away with? 30,000 baht, 25,000 baht, __________ baht?

Pretty easy to do the calculations yourself using the RD site - Personal Income Tax

In BKK, 60k is very low for an international school. I hope they add in a 20k housing allowance and flights and bonuses.

I have been teaching for four years. I have a Bachelor's in English, a teaching credential from the state of Hawaii, and a Master's degree in education. I am curious as to what salary you would demand if you had a similar background and qualifications?

Thanks.

For your qualifications, minimum 80k/month plus 20k/month housing, health insurance, free education for any children plus return flights and end of contract bonus of 1 month salary per year.

You should be able to get 120k.

60k you'd get in Chiang Mai which is notorious for low wages.

Thanks.

If you honestly have these qualifications and have been teaching here already for four years at a low salary I am so sorry for you. Like some of the other guys have said, that level of learning should have been netting you at least 80-100k a month plus benefits. I would really think about what you have lost over the last four years because of being so naive. wai2.gif

Thanks.

If you honestly have these qualifications and have been teaching here already for four years at a low salary I am so sorry for you. Like some of the other guys have said, that level of learning should have been netting you at least 80-100k a month plus benefits. I would really think about what you have lost over the last four years because of being so naive. wai2.gif

I appreciate your concern....But I have been teaching for the past four years in the west. I have applied for an international teaching job in Bangkok and am currently fishing around for the best offer. I appreciate your insight.

Thanks.

I appreciate your concern....But I have been teaching for the past four years in the west. I have applied for an international teaching job in Bangkok and am currently fishing around for the best offer. I appreciate your insight.

I had a few interviews for Bangkok school last year. The packages were around 65,000 - 75,000 baht plus flights and 15,000 housing. These were british curriculum schools. I declined as I felt I could get more with another years of experience. Realistically, if you are not going for the BIG schools like Patana, ISB and Harrow, you should get around that. These three (and possibly a few more) will give salaries that are higher.

Thanks.

As mentioned, only a few of the really big schools will pay 80/100K plus. So if you are getting 60K now, it may simply be that its a smaller school, with smaller fees. and thus their offered salaries are smaller. Due to the high salaries, those schools are also quite difficult to get jobs at due to high numbers of applicants. The big salaries might also carry extra demands on your time. If you are happy on 60K, the school is well organised and the students are good to teach, then that would be enough for me, personally. The tax would be about 5K on 60K salary, I guess about half of that on a 30K salary.