Phuket Hospital Fends Off Expat Injury Claims Of ‘Botched Surgeries’

Lite Beer

Phuket Hospital fends off expat injury claims of ‘botched surgeries’

Phuket Gazette –

phuket-1-19172rnjTdGNwQqYaFKWjlHWPLqHLgY.jpg

Vachira Phuket Hospital reportedly accepts all emergency casualties whether they have money or not. Photo:Gazette file

PHUKET: Refuting allegations of any medical misconduct concerning the treatment of Liberty Jefferson, following a serious motorbike accident in March, Vachira Phuket Hospital on Friday issued a statement to explain where their responsibility for her care started and ended.

Reported by KVAL news in Ms Jefferson’s home state of Oregon, USA, “Miss Jefferson says she sat in a hospital room 13 hours before she received any help. In all she spent 9 days in the government hospital.”

The report also stated that “The doctors in Thailand botched the 2 operations” to Ms Jefferson's broken leg.

Methavee Maneesri of Vachira Hospital’s International Department, however, clarified to the Phuket Gazette that Ms Jefferson had not been at their facility for nine days, as claimed.

“The accident happened at about 2:30am on March 16 and she was admitted at 3:30am with a swollen and deformed right lower leg. She stayed with us only one day and 10 hours,” Nurse Methavee said.

“We put on a device to support her leg and gave her saline solution [intravenous drip]. We placed her on a ‘nil by mouth’ regime in preparation for surgery, which was planned for a few hours later.

“The emergency surgery to repair her broken bones was delayed because she refused the surgery and requested to be transferred to a private hospital,” she added.

Ms Methavee said that a friend of Ms Jefferson contacted private hospitals on the island. However, the deposits required before medical treatment at those facilities could begin exceeded the Ms Jefferson’s insurance coverage.

Having delayed the operation until the afternoon of the following day, doctors at Vachira Hospital were afraid that infection could set in and persuaded Ms Jefferson to undergo surgery at 2:30pm, 12 hours after the accident.

“That operation, involving debridement and external fixation of an open bone fracture, was purely an emergency measure to prevent the injury worsening and to prevent infection.

“The next day [March 17] she was transferred to Mission Hospital, where she remained for nine days,” said Ms Methavee.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Phuket-Hospital-fends-off-expat-injury-claims-of-botched-surgeries-19172.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-14

everything is about money , nothing else .... money money money money ...welcome to Thailand !

No, not just Thailand. Hospitals are a business just like any other. The only place where money isn't a factor is the government hospitals in the country you pay tax in, and then only if they have a national health system.

Why wasn't she insured?

Edited by KarenBravo

everything is about money , nothing else .... money money money money ...welcome to Thailand !

No, not just Thailand. Hospitals are a business just like any other. The only place where money isn't a factor is the government hospitals in the country you pay tax in, and then only if they have a national health system.

Why wasn't she insured?

"Ms Methavee said that a friend of Ms Jefferson contacted private hospitals on the island. However, the deposits required before medical treatment at those facilities could begin exceeded the Ms Jefferson’s insurance coverage." Sounds like she was, but not enough.

The article is missing the very important specifics about the allegedly botched surgery. What was done wrong surgically? Surgery certainly can be incompetent but what is specific allegation?

In addition, sometimes a completely and correctly competently done surgery can have a poor outcome. Sounds like she had fractures that penetrated the integrity of the leg compartment / skin and infection became a priority concern.

The big problem in all the non western countries, is the sterility of the operating facilities. I'm amazed at the number of stupid people having surgery done in Thailand, India, Mexico. Even if these hospitals have western trained Ferang Surgeons, the equipment can still be contaminated. I'd never have anything serious done in LOS. An Accident leaves you no choice , but get stabilised and placed on the 1st available plane home.

An aquaintence had a scooter accident in Chiang Mai, which resulted in a his leg badly broken in several places. He had the leg bones re-set and went back to Canada immediately. Total cost was $27K CAD, i/c one way airfare. His Vancouver doctors checked him over c/w X-rays & imaging. They said the Thai's did a very good job and they could not do any better. I'm not sure what hospital he went to, but Kudos to those Chiang Mai based, Thai Medical Staff.

The big problem in all the non western countries, is the sterility of the operating facilities. I'm amazed at the number of stupid people having surgery done in Thailand, India, Mexico. Even if these hospitals have western trained Ferang Surgeons, the equipment can still be contaminated. I'd never have anything serious done in LOS. An Accident leaves you no choice , but get stabilised and placed on the 1st available plane home.

An aquaintence had a scooter accident in Chiang Mai, which resulted in a his leg badly broken in several places. He had the leg bones re-set and went back to Canada immediately. Total cost was $27K CAD, i/c one way airfare. His Vancouver doctors checked him over c/w X-rays & imaging. They said the Thai's did a very good job and they could not do any better. I'm not sure what hospital he went to, but Kudos to those Chiang Mai based, Thai Medical Staff.

Doesn't your second paragraph contradict the first?

Got any proof about the inadequate sterilization of operating theatres in developing nations?

Glad to hear how the Thai doctors did a fine job. Sterilization is always a problem wherever you go. I always think that a hospital is the last place to go to if you want to stay away from bugs. Staphylococcus aureus or Golden Staph is wreaking havoc throughout the Western world and I guess so here too where over prescription of antibiotics is endemic.

Why am I not surprised!? I experienced the same reckless & nonchalant behaviour of the nurses on duty at both Bangkok Christian Hospital ad Chula Hospital. I was in agonising pain and they were oblivion to my suffering. They talked down to you like you are a retard. Never again. Good riddance to bad rubbish! These people are so unprofessional.

I have also seen a young intern doctor practicing in Chula Hospital sneakng up to an old caucasian patient who was dozing off and shouted "Excuse me, sir!" & then "Oh! Nevermind!" in his ear thus giving him a terrible fright and that young medical punk then walked away grinning thereafter! Mean, obnoxious & totally uncultured; uncivilised!bah.gif

Just last week it was reported that patients had died from hunger and thirst in care homes in the UK. These are places with trained doctors and nurses in attendance.

Have only had good experiences with Thai hospitals and would rather a good Thai hospital than waiting hours for treatment in a British one.

• Like 1

Why wasn't she insured?

The difference is that this and Patong hospital are now charging the same prices as the private hospitals for a service that can only be classed as third world.

Why wasn't she insured?

The difference is that this and Patong hospital are now charging the same prices as the private hospitals for a service that can only be classed as third world.

No, they are not.

...in the government hospital.

Well there was her first mistake. Lucky they didn't amputate the leg by mistake.

What a stupid ill informed post. I recently had surgery at the government hospital in Khon Kaen (Srinakarin) and I could not fault them. I am assuming the last time you had a brain transplant something went horribly wrong.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

some Hospitals are great and some not so. Of late my Friend in Chiang Mai had a Tumour in his Arm Pit diagnosed, then wrapped with a Compression dressing which Squashed his Arm Nerves, leaving him with a Useless Arm and at least 2years of ReHab. Myself I walked into the Police Hospital on Rama 1, paid 40baht (scammed of 10baht), got seen to straight away, while there were Patients with Blood running out of them around me. From my prospective the Service was First Class, can,t answer for the Poor sods I pegged.