Vegan-Friendly Places In Myanmar

kian

I am going to Myanmar next month, one of the reasons is to discover the Burmese kitchen, particularly vegan-friendly dishes, no egg, no seafood, focusing on sweets, and spicy dishes, i've made a list of the information I've found so far, if you've been, and remember some delacies by name, or exact location, I will be happy to check them out when I'm there. Oh, and please keep the restaurants limited to budget places. Thanks

Manadalay

Toe Toe Win, a place that serves 21 dishes at once?,

Too Too Myanmar Cuisine, 28th Street (Between 74th & 75th Streets). Supposedly has the best Burmese food in whole Mandalay.

Street Pancakes (Indian roti), 81st & 26th (enter unmarked alley going west, next to Myawaddy Bank). In the southwest block of 81st & 26th streets, enter the unmarked alley besides the Myawaddy Bank during the afternoon to find a pleasant indian lady making savoury and sweet street pancakes in a cast iron frying pan in front of her house. Cheap, delicious, and pleasant company.

Nepali Food, 81st St, between 26 and 27. Simple and delicious chapatis served with three curries (1500-2000 kyat)

Nylon Ice Cream Bar, The corner of 83 and 25. Serves a variety of ice creams from chocolate to durian - delicious and surprisingly cheap (300 kyat and up) edit

Bagan: eat at the place across from museum in old bagan, eat at koung mon, also Yarpyi vegetarian , nyuangu, Eat: candi mi po tho, a dish featuring roasted eggplant stir fried with spring onions, peanuts, garlic, sesame seeds and a dash of hot pepper. At Moon Vegetarian Restaurant just inside the gates of Old Bagan.

Veggie pleaces in Inle?

General: eat: veg bbq Yangon chinatown Mont let saung - Sanwin makin - Shwe yin aye - Lahpet thohk (thohk = salad)- Htamane - Sa-nwin makin - Nga-pyaw-thi-bohn - Htamin thoke - Shauk thi thoke - Tofu thoke - Si htamin - Shai Mai or Sa Wai - Saw-hlaing mont - Htoe mont - Bein mont - Htamin jin(inle lake) - Hnyin htoe - Khaosay Thote - Mala Hin - Kauknyintok - katen joshi - Schwe Payon Hinjo

• 1 month later...

I have just spent 5 days in Mandalay and find it a fascinating city. Certainly more interesting than the average Thai city. Lots of beer stations (beer is vegan isn't it) and lots of walking.

My personal recommendation: go to the jade market 1 dollar entry) and see lively jade manufacturing and trading in operation. Don't worry about being ripped off if you buy something cheap, You would probably pay more in Bangkok.

• 4 weeks later...

The "serves 21 dishes at once" probably means that a large number of dishes will be placed before you and you only pay for the ones that you eat. I seem to recall that it's acceptable, though, to take a small taste of the sauce for dishes you're uncertain about without charge.

I think you'll find that a lot of dishes that appear to be vegetarian/vegan include ngapi [ငါးပိ] (cf. Thai kapi, กะปิ) - shrimp (or fish) paste - it's a very prevalent seasoning in Burmese cuisine.