BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
webfact

Thailand Tourist Arrivals To Hit 20 Million This Year

I wonder what planes they are using now...!?

Another 5 million tourists (for the rest of the high season) on the "remaining" 900 flights is roughly equivalent to 5500 people per flight??

Or are they coming in suitcases now too?

Nope ...!! The Russians have their own ways of getting in here INCOGNITO!! They are not on the consensus ... So that makes up for the difference in numbers ... and that is why everything in Phuket / Pattaya is also now being translated and posted in Russian also ... even the real estate adds have everything translated in Russian now ...

Best reread the post. It is 900 charter flights. That is over and above their regular flights which I would be willing to bet are in the thousands.

As for people just going on to other countries they might not have to go through customs if they can book their luggage straight through. I know on Bangkok air you don't. When we went to Siem Reap with them we just shipped are luggage straight through with them and the only customs was on the return flight here in Chiang Mai.

Another 5 million tourists (for the rest of the high season) on the "remaining" 900 flights is roughly equivalent to 5500 people per flight??

To be fair he did say charter flights rather than scheduled flights or buses, taxis, walk in, etc.

No matter !! All the taxis we work with have confirmed that CM was totally dead in Sept and even now Mid OCTOBER .. except for the backpackers who yes have been here in numbers at the 300 -400 Baht hotels ... but not big spenders at all and not good buss for the taxis or songtows at all ..ACCORDING TO THE TAXIS!!

All the increased tourists are the ones that responded to the ( up to 80%off goods in BKKsD.stores) ( OTOP goods) and the new Miracle Thailand promotion this year. It must have attracted a few more mil shoppers.

paying 80,000 bht airfare this was common sense.???? just see what the tourism promotion did for trade 3 cheers for TAT.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

frankold, on 2012-10-15 10:44:20, said:

To be fair he did say charter flights rather than scheduled flights or buses, taxis, walk in, etc.

Really..??

So you can pick out where the word(s) 'charter flight' are mentioned in the original article can you??

What I see is:

"He said the number of tourists will reach the targeted 20 million, as the last quarter is the high season period, and 900 charter flights will also fly to Thailand."

Or are you reading something I am not...?

No comment... :lol:

• Like 1

Even places like Koh Samet have become crowded and much more expensive. It wasn't long ago you could just head down there on the weekend without reservations and get a nice room for a great price.

The fee to enter the island has increased substantially for foreigners among other costs.

Personally I found the beaches on Samet disappointing and polluted by too many uncontrolled stray dogs to be an enticing destination.

There's just something off-putting about that when it comes to a relaxing beach holiday for me.

I was turned off the last time I went there too but it is still a close and easy destination to get away for the weekend (from Bangkok) but unless you make reservations well in advance now, it is impossible to get a decent room. The only thing available is the very high end (way over priced) or very crappy places. The only other close place was Koh Larn and that is just insane during the day in terms of crowds and even trying to just walk down the nicer beaches. Even going to Krabi and Phucket for a week in the middle of the rainy season a month or so ago proved over run with tourists. I've always avoided the hot tourist spots in the High Season but the lower season used to be fairly nice without the crowds. On the other hand, going to the seeder places like Cowboy or the small bars along Sukumvit that spring up at night, you'll only hear complaints about how much business is down. It really would seem Thailand is surely attracting a different level of tourists. Even those looking to party have changed and you can now find many young white faces at RCA which not long ago was almost all Thai and Kasson Rd also seems to be going through a transformation of catering to the higher end tourists or traditional tourist.

Edited by Nisa

Mr Suwat said the ministry goal for tourism revenue was set to reach Bt2 trillion in 2015

These numbers seem to just roll off the tongues of these ministers, 15 million visitors so far this year? Someone forgot to tell the restaurant and bars, because all I hear is that it has been a quiet year! They may have had 15 million 'pass through' the airport transit lounges.

Chiangmai officials said that tourism was down something like 8% (cant recall exact figure) but it WAS down.

No doubt when Oct 2015 arrives Mr Suwat (if he is still in office) will say loud and clear, "we have had 1.5 Trillion visitors so far this year and are well on target to achieve the 2 Trillion I predicted three years ago" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mr Suwat said the ministry goal for tourism revenue was set to reach Bt2 trillion in 2015.

rev·e·nue/ˈrevəˌn(y)o͞o/

Noun:

• Income, esp. when of a company or organization and of a substantial nature.
  • A state's annual income.

Hopefully I will be adding to that total over the coming year, if I can organise my life a little better.

• Like 1

Mr Suwat said the ministry goal for tourism revenue was set to reach Bt2 trillion in 2015

These numbers seem to just roll off the tongues of these ministers, 15 million visitors so far this year? Someone forgot to tell the restaurant and bars, because all I hear is that it has been a quiet year! They may have had 15 million 'pass through' the airport transit lounges.

Chiangmai officials said that tourism was down something like 8% (cant recall exact figure) but it WAS down.

No doubt when Oct 2015 arrives Mr Suwat (if he is still in office) will say loud and clear, "we have had 1.5 Trillion visitors so far this year and are well on target to achieve the 2 Trillion I predicted three years ago" cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Mr Suwat said the ministry goal for tourism revenue was set to reach Bt2 trillion in 2015.

rev·e·nue/ˈrevəˌn(y)o͞o/

Noun:

• Income, esp. when of a company or organization and of a substantial nature.
  • A state's annual income.

I think we all know what revenue is. However, can you please explain the point you were trying to make?

No matter !! All the taxis we work with have confirmed that CM was totally dead in Sept and even now Mid OCTOBER .. except for the backpackers who yes have been here in numbers at the 300 -400 Baht hotels ... but not big spenders at all and not good buss for the taxis or songtows at all ..ACCORDING TO THE TAXIS!!

Taxis have never been a big thing in Chiang Mai. There is not that many of them. Talk to the Sawnghtell drivers and tuk tuk drivers they have been the main means of transportation for those with out vehicles.