Thailand Tourist Arrivals To Hit 20 Million This Year

webfact

Hi Nisa , and the sale of rose tinted glasses has gone up by leaps & bounds, back to Google coffee1.gif

He is quoting the TAT- numbers! I mean...the TAT- numbers!!!!

You can provide better numbers, -Link- please. Or is that only the imagination, as a omniscient, unfailing Guru? whistling.gif

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my maths is a bit wobbly but that's 100,000 bucks per tourist

As I remember it, $1000 per trip is the spending average for tourists, with the average trip lasting 2 weeks. Yes, international tourists spend more on transportation.

However, the Thai Government has never figured out that the 6 Million foreign residents are equivalent to 140 Million tourists.

Foreign residents = 144 Million Tourists

I didn't know passengers in transit counted as tourists.blink.png

And I wonder how many border/visa runners are included in the figures. An entry is an entry, a visa runner enters so they are a visitor. Never trust the numbers.

Hi Nisa , and the sale of rose tinted glasses has gone up by leaps & bounds, back to Google coffee1.gif

He is quoting the TAT- numbers! I mean...the TAT- numbers!!!!

You can provide better numbers, -Link- please. Or is that only the imagination, as a omniscient, unfailing Guru? whistling.gif

FYI: the TAT is an interest- group!

Do you believe a Fan- Club of FC Liverpool, that the FC Liverpool is the best football- club in the world?

Numbers are not everything, because they can be manipulated and -so sorry- I have nothing more to say, that what I already did, based on my experience of 20 years in tourism.

But I guess your experience in 50 years of newspaper-reading beats that by miles!

Does it really matter if somebody is counted as 1 tourist with an average stay of 6-months or 2 people with an average stay of 3-months when these numbers a very small percentage of the total numbers and have no meaningful effect on average daily spending, total foreign visitor dollars spent or if and by how much foreign visitor numbers go up?

Bottom line is foreign visits are up as has been the trend for a very long time and the amount of revenue they bring Thailand is also up. There is no mass conspiracy between numerous agencies in Thailand, foreign businesses including airlines & hotels, foreign & global organizations that compile and distribute these numbers and the Thai Government to skew tourist rates and the sources and amount of GDP. Of course the numbers are no perfect but they are collected the same way each year which allows for a reasonably accurate ability to track growth of both visitors and revenue.

• Like 2

How many of these 'tourists' are visa runners? Any statistics about, how much the 15/30 day rule finds it way into this 20 Million number?

And how many day traders? (Malaysians, Cambodians, Laotians, Burmese)

If you look at a breakdown of the figures tourists from Laos make up almost a million of the total number of visitors.

Edited by FarangTalk

Per person daily spending, the top 10 countries

UAE ($175.21),

Saudi Arabia ($166.92)

South Africa ($164.10)

India ($161.78)

Hong Kong ($161.63)

Singapore ($160.96)

Kuwait ($159.66)

Australia ($159.19)

Brunei Darussalam ($155.30)

Korea ($153.17).

http://www.tatnews.o...alue-money.html

Interesting considering Saudis are forbidden by law from visiting Thailand as tourists.

UAE ($175.21),

Saudi Arabia ($166.92)

South Africa ($164.10)

India ($161.78)

Hong Kong ($161.63)

Singapore ($160.96)

Kuwait ($159.66)

Australia ($159.19)

Korea ($153.17).

Interesting considering Saudis are forbidden by law from visiting Thailand as tourists.

Wasn't knowing that.

But know something else:

Forbidden fruit taste the sweetest.

Nothing sweet about having millions worth of Royal jewels stolen, Thai Police being complicit in murders and a cover-up and having your diplomats gunned down in the middle of Bangkok.

Wonder what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot?

However, I digress. There can be severe punishments for Saudi nationals caught having visited Thailand, so it's not worth the effort.

Nothing sweet about having millions worth of Royal jewels stolen, Thai Police being complicit in murders and a cover-up and having your diplomats gunned down in the middle of Bangkok.

Wonder what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot?

However, I digress. There can be severe punishments for Saudi nationals caught having visited Thailand, so it's not worth the effort.

You mean, they can go for a Thai massage in their own country better, to polish the family jewelery?

I go with a two passport strategy and "Forbidden fruit taste the sweetest." Probably via Singapore or KL. That wouldn't be a problem. Saudis getting easily 2 passports, one for the USA-relationship, one for the region businesses!

Also I trust the statistics above!whistling.gif

• Like 1

4 Flights this year from Brisbane 1 full other 3 100-150 passengers

Return 3 mostly full other one did not go was told at the airport we will pay for a hotel in BKK tonight for you.Next night half full

I will see what happens this Monday

BANGKOK: Thai exports may have fallen 5.6 percent in August from a year earlier, a Reuters poll showed, as the country has been hurt by weak global demand just as it restored manufacturing capacity badly cut by last year's devastating floods.

While nearly all Thai factories are back in production, the global slowdown has kept them working at well less than capacity. In July, manufacturing production was down 5.82 percent from a year earlier.

The flooding hit seven big industrial estates from October, severely hurting car and electronics plants.

Thailand is a regional hub and export base for the world's top car producers and the world's number two producer of hard disk drives.

Source :http://www.brecorder...ow-demand-.html

Edited by metisdead
: Edited for fair use.

UAE ($175.21),

Saudi Arabia ($166.92)

South Africa ($164.10)

India ($161.78)

Hong Kong ($161.63)

Singapore ($160.96)

Kuwait ($159.66)

Australia ($159.19)

Korea ($153.17).

Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point...

Bar and restaurant owners always seem to forget there are dozens of new bars and restaurants just like theirs opening everywhere.

I was in Ao nang not so long ago and the pizza restaurant owner was complaining about customer numbers being down, etc. I counted TWELVE pizza restaurants on that street, not so long ago there was two.

5 or 6 years ago how many international hotel chains in Pattaya? how many now? The city has doubled in size, head up to Buddha Hill see for yourself, and on every street bar bar restaurant bar restaurant.....

Few years ago you would see a few expats in soi buakhao but you barely saw a tourist past second road, now you see them all the way to Sattahip, on baht buses, scooters, walking along the road...

In Samui and Phuket it's the same situation new resorts and restaurants opening daily.

Everybody wants a piece of the pie.

Thai bashing is some posters favorite past time, but honestly I don't see how anybody can say with a strait face tourist numbers aren't significantly higher. If small business owner (of which I am one) want to know why it's getting harder they should look at the competition.

One only need look at the number of hotels (many huge) being built every year here to see there continues to be a significant increase in tourism. Seems like there is also a big trend in western restaurants and chains opening up too. Personally, I wish tourism would decrease and Thailand would not be moving forward so quickly but agree with you in terms of not seeing how anyone can seriously deny tourism doesn't continue to significantly go up.

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying, however, you have to consider the buying habits of these tourists visiting Thailand. Personally as a bar owner in Chiang Mai, looking at the global economy, (spending deficit), and myths about being affordable and as some say cheap, it still does not surprise me that there are more tourists arriving here! I suggest to all fellow business owners, ADAPT!!

These people no matter where they are from, are looking for VALUE!! at a cheap price. I am located on a busy street leading to the Night Bizarre! and I can tell you that there are a few less tourists this year, and they are more frugal and selective than ever before. All I am saying, is there may be 20 million tourists who are spending the same as 15 million tourists in 2011! Possible?? Food for thought!!

• Like 2

Bar and restaurant owners always seem to forget there are dozens of new bars and restaurants just like theirs opening everywhere.

I was in Ao nang not so long ago and the pizza restaurant owner was complaining about customer numbers being down, etc. I counted TWELVE pizza restaurants on that street, not so long ago there was two.

5 or 6 years ago how many international hotel chains in Pattaya? how many now? The city has doubled in size, head up to Buddha Hill see for yourself, and on every street bar bar restaurant bar restaurant.....

Few years ago you would see a few expats in soi buakhao but you barely saw a tourist past second road, now you see them all the way to Sattahip, on baht buses, scooters, walking along the road...

In Samui and Phuket it's the same situation new resorts and restaurants opening daily.

Thai bashing is some posters favorite past time, but honestly I don't see how anybody can say with a strait face tourist numbers aren't significantly higher. If small business owner (of which I am one) want to know why it's getting harder they should look at the competition.

One only need look at the number of hotels (many huge) being built every year here to see there continues to be a significant increase in tourism. Seems like there is also a big trend in western restaurants and chains opening up too. Personally, I wish tourism would decrease and Thailand would not be moving forward so quickly but agree with you in terms of not seeing how anyone can seriously deny tourism doesn't continue to significantly go up.

I am not disagreeing with what you are saying, however, you have to consider the buying habits of these tourists visiting Thailand. Personally as a bar owner in Chiang Mai, looking at the global economy, (spending deficit), and myths about being affordable and as some say cheap, it still does not surprise me that there are more tourists arriving here! I suggest to all fellow business owners, ADAPT!!

These people no matter where they are from, are looking for VALUE!! at a cheap price. I am located on a busy street leading to the Night Bizarre! and I can tell you that there are a few less tourists this year, and they are more frugal and selective than ever before. All I am saying, is there may be 20 million tourists who are spending the same as 15 million tourists in 2011! Possible?? Food for thought!!

Sounds like you have good business sense and will have continued success but sadly I think Chiang Mai is going to need some changes and stronger marketing to get people going back there anytime soon considering the shifting make up of the people coming here and what appears to be a shorter lengths of those making up a good portion of the visitors. I think we are seeing a lot more people coming here that really are true tourists or part of a tour group which generally means they've got time for Bangkok and the waters to the south if they don't want to spend a significant potion of their trip in transit. So, I have little doubt you are right about seeing less tourists in CM and don't see a lot changing without some major marketing campaigns and/or the global economy improving to allow the return of many of the folks who are able to spend more time here or simply those returning on a 2nd or 3rd visit and are more into experiencing "Thailand" as they have already done the Bangkok and Beach scene.

Are they still working towards a high speed rail line from BKK to CM? This too would make a world of a difference for getting people up there as a train ride is a great experience and way to see the country side but just way too long of a trip currently and not many people want to end up taking a 1/2 dozen plane /airport trips during a 10 day vacation.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have good business sense and will have continued success but sadly I think Chiang Mai is going to need some changes and stronger marketing to get people going back there anytime soon considering the shifting make up of the people coming here and what appears to be a shorter lengths of those making up a good portion of the visitors. I think we are seeing a lot more people coming here that really are true tourists or part of a tour group which generally means they've got time for Bangkok and the waters to the south if they don't want to spend a significant potion of their trip in transit. So, I have little doubt you are right about seeing less tourists in CM and don't see a lot changing without some major marketing campaigns and/or the global economy improving to allow the return of many of the folks who are able to spend more time here or simply those returning on a 2nd or 3rd visit and are more into experiencing "Thailand" as they have already done the Bangkok and Beach scene.

Are they still working towards a high speed rail line from BKK to CM? This too would make a world of a difference for getting people up there as a train ride is a great experience and way to see the country side but just way too long of a trip currently and not many people want to end up taking a 1/2 dozen plane /airport trips during a 10 day vacation.

Thanks for the feedback! Seems like you know the what's happening here! If part of what you are saying is true, then these tourists would be spending more in Bangkok and the south, which I know is not true. Overall they are not spending as much because of less dispoal income! Be well!

It could just be my perception but visitor numbers in both low and high season seem lower than say 5 or 6 years back

Also many of my friends who rent out properties say the same, the previous numbers of visitors looking to rent places has reduced.

Its possible they could just be using different outlets like hotels and resort complexes, at the expense of condos and houses .

It could just be my perception but visitor numbers in both low and high season seem lower than say 5 or 6 years back

Also many of my friends who rent out properties say the same, the previous numbers of visitors looking to rent places has reduced.

Its possible they could just be using different outlets like hotels and resort complexes, at the expense of condos and houses .

There have been some slight yearly decreases in the last 8 years of so but if you look at say 2004 or 2005 numbers (http://en.wikipedia....nual_statistics), this year is going to be near double. We can discount the numbers all we want but there is just no way to fake that kind of increase unless you think the airlines and airports are lying. But if we were to even say it didn't double but just went up 50% then it is still a substantial increase but I believe the reason folks are seeing declines is due to the type of visitors coming being different and the increased competition.

Although it is easier said then done, I think flamesfan hit it on the head and businesses need to adapt if possible. While you can't really move rental properties if they are not where tourists are going, your friends might be able to try to attract different tourists instead of what he may have been used to. Maybe he catered mainly to folks from Europe who had more disposable income, stayed longer and visited more. If I recall although visitors are up, visitors from many European Regions are on a decline as well as how far their dollar will go in Thailand. If this was the case then he might have to try to go after visitors from other locations including the domestic tourists.

Bottom line is there is just no denying tourist numbers have increased dramatically but what seems fairly clear too (based on comments here) is they are not spending their dollars in the same places as they were when there were considerably less visitors.

Could not say it better myself! Cheers from a Canadian!!!
  • Like 1

There have been some slight yearly decreases in the last 8 years of so but if you look at say 2004 or 2005 numbers (http://en.wikipedia....nual_statistics), this year is going to be near double. We can discount the numbers all we want but there is just no way to fake that kind of increase unless you think the airlines and airports are lying. But if we were to even say it didn't double but just went up 50% then it is still a substantial increase but I believe the reason folks are seeing declines is due to the type of visitors coming being different and the increased competition.

Although it is easier said then done, I think flamesfan hit it on the head and businesses need to adapt if possible. While you can't really move rental properties if they are not where tourists are going, your friends might be able to try to attract different tourists instead of what he may have been used to. Maybe he catered mainly to folks from Europe who had more disposable income, stayed longer and visited more. If I recall although visitors are up, visitors from many European Regions are on a decline as well as how far their dollar will go in Thailand. If this was the case then he might have to try to go after visitors from other locations including the domestic tourists.

Bottom line is there is just no denying tourist numbers have increased dramatically but what seems fairly clear too (based on comments here) is they are not spending their dollars in the same places as they were when there were considerably less visitors.

For about 2 years my friends were reliant of busloads of touring Korean visitors staying for 2-3 nights at a time then moving on, to get by.

They are located in Pattaya and Jontiem.

Things have got better than then, but the days of 3 or 6 month regular rentals look to have gone.

For about 2 years my friends were reliant of busloads of touring Korean visitors staying for 2-3 nights at a time then moving on, to get by.

They are located in Pattaya and Jontiem.

Things have got better than then, but the days of 3 or 6 month regular rentals look to have gone.

TIT

Hate to put a dampner on the usaual negative comments that always appear after a positive outlook with anything to do with Thailand but the airport is always busy as is land crossimgs from what I have seen or been told. Pattaya seems to be OK with many places full......I think it really dosnt matter what anyone says some people really just need to get out more rather than sitting in front of a PC....maybe the negative comments come from people that just havnt moved with the times and stay/look/visit the same places and havnt noticed what is happening under their noses!!!

So anyone that is negative about this article is uninformed and stupid? Just so you know, the latest "moving with the times" is "you need to learn Thai", "you need a new job", "you need to leave Thailand". What is really the latest that is moving with the times is Thais have given up on learning English, and instead, now it's our job to learn Thai so the Thais can feel like they accomplished something. A long line in airport immigration doesn’t necessarily translate to many incoming tourists. It means they are stuck in the airport. It's fascinating to me that people can take obvious propaganda and prop up that propaganda as if it's fact.

• Like 1

God forbid the truth be told----they are only lying to themselves--image image image--nothing will change on this sinking ship until the culture changes and they take their heads out of the sand wai2.gif

I would say the downward spiraling attitude towards foreigners is in direct proportion the the reduction in quantity of tourists coming to Thailand. I believe the tourists are more informed than they ever have been and scamming tourists isn't as easy as it use to be. The Thais are getting an attitude because their scam money has gone down.

• Like 1

FYI: the TAT is an interest- group!

Do you believe a Fan- Club of FC Liverpool, that the FC Liverpool is the best football- club in the world?

Numbers are not everything, because they can be manipulated and -so sorry- I have nothing more to say, that what I already did, based on my experience of 20 years in tourism.

But I guess your experience in 50 years of newspaper-reading beats that by miles!

Interest group? And? I live in TH and when I was in Patong-Phuket end of 2011 - March 2012,

I saw never as much people there since I come yearly since 1990, Hotels who just opened 2012,

a complete road of Hotels (Patong) who had not existed 2 years ago, had been fully booked!

Liverpool, is much more easy, count the numbers of Championships won, since the club was founded and in present time and than you can see how they can compete with the other Super clubs! Not rocket science!

So, numbers can be manipulated? I did not know that before you told me. tongue.png Based everything on your, one man experience of 20 years,

doing something, in Tourism. So, I not so wrong with my writing, ...." the imagination, as a omniscient, unfailing Guru?" whistling.gif

50 years Newspaper reading? Me? Sorry, no, I have just that age and could, surprisingly, maybe different to you, not read for the first years

and than, was also, for some more years not interested in Newspapers. More in my Matchbox cars. wink.png

Its just your "perception" at least regarding Phuket and special Patong.

Just 3-4 years ago they built a completely new road in Patong,

the last Hotels on this road and side Sois, opened now,in March. Thousands of beds, 3000+?

As soon as the Hotels opened, they filled up beginning 2012 and still in March/April!

I was there! People walked around and looked for rooms, got none had to look in other places.

And,they start new Hotel buildings already!

I come yearly 2-3 times to Phuket, since 1990, live since 14 years in Thailand.The numbers go there up same crazy!