Britain, Scotland Sign Deal For Independence Referendum

News_Editor

Britain, Scotland sign deal for independence referendum < br />

2012-10-16 00:07:16 GMT+7 (ICT)

EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND (BNO NEWS) -- British Prime Minister David Cameron and Scottish First Minister Alex Salmond on Monday signed an historic agreement which will allow the Scottish government to hold a referendum to decide whether Scotland should break away from the United Kingdom.

Cameron and Salmond met at St. Andrews House in Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, where the two leaders signed the so-called "Edinburgh Agreement" which grants the Scottish government special powers necessary for the independence referendum. It follows months of negotiations on the specific details of the agreement.

"What's really important about this is, it sets out now, for the first time, an agreed process by which Scotland can become an independent country," said Salmond, whose Scottish National Party (SNP) gained a majority with 69 of the 129 seats at Holyrood during the May 2011 elections and a mandate to govern until the next election in 2016.

The agreement grants the Scottish government the power to legislate a single-question referendum on Scottish independence before the end of 2014. The referendum is expected to take place in the autumn of 2014, but referendum legislation to be introduced by the Scottish parliament in the coming months will determine the exact date.

"The governments are agreed that the referendum should meet the highest standards of fairness, transparency and propriety, informed by consultation and independent expert advice," the agreement signed by Cameron and Salmond said, adding that referendum legislation by the Scottish parliament will also set out the exact working of the question, rules on campaign financing and other rules of conduct.

All those entitled to vote in Scottish Parliamentary and local government elections will be able to participate in the referendum, but the referendum legislation is also expected to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to vote for the first time. "It will be for the Scottish Government to decide whether to propose extending the franchise for this referendum and how that should be done," the agreement said on the matter.

"This marks the beginning of an important chapter in Scotland's story and allows the real debate to begin," said Cameron, who has vowed to keep the United Kingdom united. "It paves the way so that the biggest question of all can be settled: a separate Scotland or a United Kingdom? I will be making a very positive argument for our United Kingdom."

Speaking in Edinburgh after Monday's signing at St. Andrews House, he added: "It is now up to the people of Scotland to make that historic decision. The very future of Scotland depends on their verdict. It is that important. This agreement delivers the people's referendum."

But there are signs that support among Scots for independence is slipping. A survey released by pollsters TNS-BMRB last week indicates that only 28 percent of Scots are currently in favor of Scotland becoming an independent state, while 53 percent of those asked said they are not in favor of independence. About 19 percent said they were not sure.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-10-16

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope the Scottish People get the vote they want,If Blair and Cameron honoured their Pre Election Pledges of giving the people a Referendom To stay in the EU or pull out,they could also make English people happy,but all we are worth is lies.

• Like 2

Waste of millions of pounds of British tax payers money. By far and away as polls show Scotish voters want to stay part of UK.

I'm inclined to believe the Scottish will vote sensibly for the good of all. So I suppose we will have to wait and see the result,meanwhile I can't help but think that Salmond is only interested in his place in the History Books,it would be a nice one,First PM or President of an Independant Country/Scotland.

Incidently a poll so far indicates roughly a 3 way split, a third for Independence, a third against,and a third undecided. Source: BBC Radio Program today.

Edited by MAJIC

im working in Scotland at the moment, and we had a craic about this the other night, and the lads I'm working with,

welders/platers and pipefitters wouldn't want to breakaway

Edited by Scott
formatting
  • Like 2

Much will depend upon the campaign...many are undecided...I would say a third is too low on the issue....few of us have made our minds up really.

Polls a month before might be accurate but right now nothing is certain.....!

What is the general consensus?

The polls show more support for Scottish independence among the English rather than the Scots themselves.

The English are against independence, but only by 40-29%; among Scots the vote against independence is stronger at 46-26%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086833/Scottish-independence-More-English-Scots-want-independence-Scotland.html

The polls show more support for Scottish independence among the English rather than the Scots themselves.

The English are against independence, but only by 40-29%; among Scots the vote against independence is stronger at 46-26%.

http://www.dailymail...e-Scotland.html

I love that you source from the Daily Mail!

Its gonna be a long campaign!! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Do they make cars in Scotland?

The RMC Linwood plant closed in 1981, after being sold first to Chrysler, then to Talbot group.

That's possibly a good example of poorly transferred production and an inability to manage a local workforce. Also an example of the perils of government interference in the market.

SC

I wonder if we have to be resident in Scotland to get a vote - I want independence.

Only those resident in Scotland will be able to vote.

One big problem for both governments should the vote be a yes is sorting out the finances. As Jeremy Warner wrote in the Daily Telegraph the other day

Critical issues such as the share of the national debt Scotland takes on, whether it is made liable for the tens of billions spent bailing out Scottish banks, what share of tax revenues from North Sea oil belongs to Scotland, and therefore what sort of a fiscal position it will be in after separation, are likely to remain unanswered.

Now obviously, Alex Salmond, Scotland’s First Minister, has his wish list. It goes something like this. You keep all the national debt, we keep all the oil and, since it was London that messed up so spectacularly in regulating the Scottish banks, you can keep those liabilities too. Salmond is demanding a whopper of a divorce settlement, even though he is, as it were, the guilty party. That Westminster would just roll over and let its tummy be tickled seems unlikely. But it is the monetary arrangements that are the most problematic, and which are the real Achilles’ heel in the economic case for separation.

Salmond says that Scotland would eventually join the Euro, and remain in Sterling until the time was right for that. But would the Westminster government be prepared to allow an independent Scotland to do so? Would the Bank of England be prepared to take on the risks of being lender of last resort to a foreign government?

As Warner says in his conclusion

The point is that monetary union doesn’t work unless those involved are in pretty much perfect economic, fiscal, monetary and political alignment. We are therefore left with one over-riding question about Scottish separation: beyond bravado and grandstanding by a small cadre of senior politicians, what precisely is the point of it?

I don't often agree with comment in the Telegraph, but on this occasion do.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

I vote yes.

Now how do I ensure my right to a dual English/Scottish nationality with two passports?

Whats the point of it?

Free university education for your children.

Easier rules for immigration.

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Getting away from the current British police state.

Do I need to go on .......

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1