BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
News_Editor

Britain, Scotland Sign Deal For Independence Referendum

I hope common sense prevails and we remain as part of the United Kingdom

• Like 1

Is Scotland financially able to sustain itself as an independent country?

Given that the United Kingdom seems unable to, I doubt it. Not without a bit of belt-tightening that I think the Scots will find unpalatable.

SC

The polls show more support for Scottish independence among the English rather than the Scots themselves.

The English are against independence, but only by 40-29%; among Scots the vote against independence is stronger at 46-26%.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2086833/Scottish-independence-More-English-Scots-want-independence-Scotland.html

I wonder if we have to be resident in Scotland to get a vote - I want independence.

Good please have it and save the rest of us a fortune

The polls show more support for Scottish independence among the English rather than the Scots themselves.

The English are against independence, but only by 40-29%; among Scots the vote against independence is stronger at 46-26%.

http://www.dailymail...e-Scotland.html

I love that you source from the Daily Mail!

Its gonna be a long campaign!! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Out curiosity, just how are the Scottish people viewed by the English?

Is it not a mutually beneficial arrangement?

Just asking like …

Do they make cars in Scotland?

The RMC Linwood plant closed in 1981, after being sold first to Chrysler, then to Talbot group.

That's possibly a good example of poorly transferred production and an inability to manage a local workforce. Also an example of the perils of government interference in the market.

SC

I wonder if we have to be resident in Scotland to get a vote - I want independence.

Only those resident in Scotland will be able to vote.

One big problem for both governments should the vote be a yes is sorting out the finances. As Jeremy Warner wrote in the Daily Telegraph the other day

Critical issues such as the share of the national debt Scotland takes on, whether it is made liable for the tens of billions spent bailing out Scottish banks, what share of tax revenues from North Sea oil belongs to Scotland, and therefore what sort of a fiscal position it will be in after separation, are likely to remain unanswered.

Now obviously, Alex Salmond, Scotland’s First Minister, has his wish list. It goes something like this. You keep all the national debt, we keep all the oil and, since it was London that messed up so spectacularly in regulating the Scottish banks, you can keep those liabilities too. Salmond is demanding a whopper of a divorce settlement, even though he is, as it were, the guilty party. That Westminster would just roll over and let its tummy be tickled seems unlikely. But it is the monetary arrangements that are the most problematic, and which are the real Achilles’ heel in the economic case for separation.

Salmond says that Scotland would eventually join the Euro, and remain in Sterling until the time was right for that. But would the Westminster government be prepared to allow an independent Scotland to do so? Would the Bank of England be prepared to take on the risks of being lender of last resort to a foreign government?

As Warner says in his conclusion

The point is that monetary union doesn’t work unless those involved are in pretty much perfect economic, fiscal, monetary and political alignment. We are therefore left with one over-riding question about Scottish separation: beyond bravado and grandstanding by a small cadre of senior politicians, what precisely is the point of it?

I don't often agree with comment in the Telegraph, but on this occasion do.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

I vote yes.

Now how do I ensure my right to a dual English/Scottish nationality with two passports?

Whats the point of it?

Free university education for your children.

Easier rules for immigration.

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Getting away from the current British police state.

Do I need to go on .......

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1