Britain, Scotland Sign Deal For Independence Referendum

News_Editor

I vote yes.

Now how do I ensure my right to a dual English/Scottish nationality with two passports?

Whats the point of it?

Free university education for your children.

Easier rules for immigration.

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Getting away from the current British police state.

Do I need to go on .......

Apparently more national self-esteem as well

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do you ensure your right to a dual English/Scottish passport? So you want all the rights of being British but none of the responsibilities! I'm not surprised.

A choice of two is always better than one compulsory.

No, I don't want ANY rights to being British, I want to be English or Scots.

!)

However I do feel it might be fair and proper that if they are offered that choice the English should be given the same option too. We don't like being called Brits any more than the Celts do.

Quite right......independence and close the borders. wink.png

The Thai banks still won't accept Scottish pounds! biggrin.png

For your information Thai Banks do in fact accept Scottish Bank notes and I personally know they have done for years, you must be going to the wrong Banks?

To my knowledge SCB and Thai farmers ( I forget their new name ) do.

Edited by phuketjock

Much of Scotland's political culture is basd on anti-Conservatism. Hence Scottish support for develution jumped from 50 to 75% after 14 years of Conservative rule in the UK.

A possible rerun of such dominance would underwrite moves to independence. Ironically Scottish independence would boost the chances of long-term Conservative dominance in Westminster as they are a lost cause north of the border with precisely 1 Scottish Tory MP. Labour would, in contrast be seriously holed below the waterline were it to lose its Scottish MPs.

As I understand it, a country can denominate any currency as its legal tender; or, as in the case of Scotland at present, I believe; none. The Scottish banks guarantee their currency with deposits in the Bank of England, I believe, just as Hong Kong does (US dollars, in their case, though) so, provided that the banks remain fiscally prudent and don't print money they don't have, then it should be a sound currency (if you can call something tied to Sterling, or worse still, the US dollar, sound) (I'm echoing back to 1999, when the US dollar was considered substantially more robust than it is today...). Anyway, Naam may be willing to explain the details to you, though I doubt he has the patience... and I lack the understanding

SC

Much of Scotland's political culture is basd on anti-Conservatism. Hence Scottish support for develution jumped from 50 to 75% after 14 years of Conservative rule in the UK.

A possible rerun of such dominance would underwrite moves to independence. Ironically Scottish independence would boost the chances of long-term Conservative dominance in Westminster as they are a lost cause north of the border with precisely 1 Scottish Tory MP. Labour would, in contrast be seriously holed below the waterline were it to lose its Scottish MPs.

Indeed, this would be the perfect reposte to New Labour cynically gerrymandering the electorate by an open doors immigration policy, knowing full well the vast majority of said immigrants would vote Labour. With Scotland out of the equation there may again be the chance of a Tory majority and thus real Tory policies instead of having to carry the dead weight of the Lib-Dems. There are ironies here on many levels and I wish the Scots well if they do indeed go it alone.

• Like 2

Salmond was disrespectful to UK fighting forces. End of story for me. sad.png

You can't get much more disrespectful to UK fighting forces than sending them overseas to lose their lives on the back of a pack of lies. Don't think Salmond was responsible for that.

A soldier DOES what he is told to do. A soldier has NOTHING to do with government decisions..He does his job. UNDERSTAND. rolleyes.gif

Salmond was disrespectful to UK fighting forces. End of story for me. sad.png

You can't get much more disrespectful to UK fighting forces than sending them overseas to lose their lives on the back of a pack of lies. Don't think Salmond was responsible for that.

A soldier DOES what he is told to do. A soldier has NOTHING to do with government decisions..He does his job. UNDERSTAND. rolleyes.gif

No need to shout, i'm not some squaddie on the parade ground. My point had nothing to do with obeying orders, i accept your argument on that. It was about politicians showing disrespect which is something you started. I maintain it is the height of disrespect to send fighting forces overseas to put their lives on the line on the basis of a pack of lies. I would have hoped that anyone with half a brain would see that. UNDERSTAND.rolleyes.gif

You still don't understand a soldiers LOT. He doesn't sit on his bunk reading whats gone on in Parliament and how he must respond, he cleans his weapon, doesn't give a shit who is in Parliament, he does his job, and Salmond undermined the soldiers integrity.

I think a discussion of the military is off-topic. Let's get back to the subject of the thread.

Fair enough Scott. Although Transam of course doesn't know that i don't understand a soldiers lot! I am not disagreeing that the Scottish First Minister showed disrespect to the armed forces, just that he's not the only one. I hope you will allow me to make the point that there are many forces personnel overseas who do have opinions about the circumstances that sent them there, and they are quite happy to share them on various forces blogs etc. To suggest that somehow they just sit there cleaning their weapons, blindly following orders unquestionably like some kind of robot without an educated opinion of their own is, ironically, IMHO coming close to showing them disrespect.

Much will depend upon the campaign...many are undecided...I would say a third is too low on the issue....few of us have made our minds up really.

Polls a month before might be accurate but right now nothing is certain.....!

What is the general consensus?

I'm sure you are right,another Poll today give the figures @ 37% of Scots wanted Independance, 55% opposed it (and believe Scotlands Economy will suffer if it quit the UK) which completely conflicts with yesterdays Poll. Source: Comres Poll. At Election time it will be decided for the most part on Economics.

As an Englishman I have no problem with the Scottish right to self determination and independence. Same goes for the Welsh and the Irish (in NI) if they want it.

However I do feel it might be fair and proper that if they are offered that choice the English should be given the same option too. We don't like being called Brits any more than the Celts do.

Especially the choice of a Referendum on Europe.

I vote yes.

Now how do I ensure my right to a dual English/Scottish nationality with two passports?

Whats the point of it?

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Do you in your wildest Dreams think that Salmond can deliver all of these wishes?

• Like 2

I don't have the right to vote . I will have to wait for the outcome and go with the winning result . Perhaps Scotland's sons and daughters will have to make the trip back to secure a Scottish passport , if there is a yes result , or maybe applicants can get one sent overseas by post . I wonder .

The level of anti-English behaviour and attitudes in Scotland today shocks even Scottish born and bred locals.

If the English were given the chance of a referendum Scotland would be independent tomorrow....

The Scots have always (at least for the last 30-40yrs) complained that the union of 1707 was not voted on by the then majority

Of Scots, but by a small number of land owners and rich business people,and I think this is a good point. However they never mention that the majority of the English,also never had the opportunity to vote on the Union,again it was the English

land owners and the rich business people who voted on their behalf.

In around 1997 the Scots where given a referendum on changing the terms of the union, no referendum was offered to the English.

Come 2014 the Scots people as a whole will vote on separation,again the English are denied the opportunity to vote on this issue,even though there is a larger % of the English who want the separation,according to opinion polls carried out over recent years.

Yet it may be that the English will get their wish by being very clever,you see this agreement was not drawn up by Alex Salmond, but by one of his deputies

A Yorkshire lass called Nicola Sturgeon,in fact if you look up the SNP members in the Scottish parliament and the London

Parliament you will find a number of them who are not really Scottish.

My worry is if in 2014 the Scottish electorate reject the yes vote, what will then happen, will the SNP in say 20 yrs, again demand a vote,they certainly will not be able to put forward the case that the whole electorate was not involved as in 1707.

I vote yes.

Whats the point of it?

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Do you in your wildest Dreams think that Salmond can deliver all of these wishes?

Well yes, when he goes to England for a loan. Remember Greece, Spain, and sure more to come.

How can you have a independent Scotland when so many Scots live in England. Will Scotland keep Scots that are on benefits in England, or will that be all worked out by Salmond. rolleyes.gif

You can be sure of one thing Salmond doesn't come to the negotiating table, only the free Banquet table!

Edited by MAJIC

I vote yes.

Whats the point of it?

Different tax system.

Better health care.

Good reply. My Scottish pals feel the whole thing is Salmond looking after Salmond. They are proud people, but understand the realities of the world we live in today...I hope we can stay together along with the Welsh, in this small island of ours. It is not like we don`t have enough trouble already in today`s socioeconomic climate...

Agreed, the Scots are smart people,and will no doubt see through the ambitions of one slippery career politician. Let us hope they vote to stay as valued members,and equal partners of the United Kingdom.

I vote yes.

Whats the point of it?

Different tax system.

Better health care.

But he has got that big eye thing on one of the two towers..

Edited by Thaddeus