Poll: Obama Leading Romney 49% To 46% Ahead Of Second Debate

News_Editor

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RT @CBSNews: BREAKING: CBS NEWS INSTANT POLL Who won debate? OBAMA: 37%; ROMNEY: 30%, TIE: 33% (Margin of Error: 4 pts.) http://CBSNews.com

In Obama's town hall debate against McCain, 55% said he won so if this debate had come first I don't think his people would be so thrilled with the result. But coming after the first debate debacle 37% is a victory.

You must be beside yourself after Mr. Obama's endorsement of free enterprise and self reliance. So much for his alleged Marxist credentials . cheesy.gif

No one in that debate hall or across the country bought that one. Obama, Mr. Handout, is for "self-reliance"? A clear Obama lie, so large, no one will pay attention to it. It would be as if claimed to be a tree...no one would go to any length to debunk his claim.

Other Obama "lies"

Global climate change

Science

Killed Osama

Saved the US auto industry

Reversed the course of the worst recession in decades

Saved the EPA

Etc etc etc

Damned liar

• Like 2

Obama targeted women and Ohio and he achieved his goal of shoring up their support. Romney was weak on his women issues responses iin respect to the pay equity issue (Ledbetter), contraception and his nonsensical comment about women in his cabinet.

Romney should have said, "I'm interested to hear the President explain why women in his own administration are paid less than the men"

• Like 1

Romney did tell a bit less than a half-truth about the auto bankruptcy bailout. Yes, of course both Romney and Obama advocated for a managed "restructuring" bailout. The difference is that Romney opposed using government money, whereas Obama gave $62 billion in tax dollars. All evidence showed that private industry would not have supported such an amount of restructuring, and so Obama gets credit for that, unless you believe nobody, including Wall Street should have been bailed out, like myself.

Edited by keemapoot

Cries of a loser. Touche!

It's really true. When a side is complaining about moderation, you know that is always the LOSING side.

http://www.washingto...80b8d_blog.html

Well. That was better, wasn’t it?

President Obama clearly won tonight’s debate, and that’s judging by more than the look on Ann Romney’s face at the end. Tonight, Obama was aggressive, but not disrespectful, repeatedly scoring points on virtually every question — from taxes to women’s health to immigration.

They've got their cries of losers. Obama supporters now have got massive sighs of relief that our man has turned his debate performance around. Without forgetting the over the top Biden who set the stage. We wanted and needed a fighter. Barack is back.

So what's the biggest takeaway meme from this Obama comeback debate?

Most likely Romney's "binders full of women" comment.

Edited by Jingthing

It's really true. When a side is complaining about moderation, you know that is always the LOSING side.

President Obama clearly won tonight’s debate, and that’s judging by more than the look on Ann Romney’s face at the end. Tonight, Obama was aggressive, but not disrespectful, repeatedly scoring points on virtually every question — from taxes to women’s health to immigration.

They've got their cries of losers. Obama supporters now have got massive sighs of relief that our man has turned his debate performance around. Without forgetting the over the top Biden who set the stage.

Quoting from your article, "We will soon hear the Republican howls that the questions from the audience were biased against their guy and that Crowley favored Obama. But those are the cries of a loser."

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. It says we will soon hear not we have heard. So I guess you are predicting the future, yes?

Edited by chiangmaikelly

They've got their cries of losers. Obama supporters now have got massive sighs of relief that our man has turned his debate performance around. Without forgetting the over the top Biden who set the stage.

Quoting from your article, "We will soon hear the Republican howls that the questions from the audience were biased against their guy and that Crowley favored Obama. But those are the cries of a loser."

I think you are jumping the gun a bit. It says we will soon hear not we have heard. So I guess you are predicting the future, yes?

Some minutes ago I switched on Fox. The prediction was TRUE.

Confrontational debate for Obama, Romney

30192488-01_big.jpg

Photo : EPA

WASHINGTON: -- US President Barack Obama came out swinging Tuesday in a confrontational presidential debate against challenger Mitt Romney, as the incumbent sought to make up lost ground after a weak performance in their first encounter.

Obama frequently accused Romney of making statements that were "just not true" on the bailout of the US car industry, energy policy and taxes. Romney for his part continually reminded viewers that Obama’s policies had done little to improve a faltering economy.

With just three weeks before November 6 elections, both candidates sought to energize their loyalists and woo undecided voters in the crucial swing states expected to determine the outcome of the election.

Obama unquestionably improved on his performance from his listless showing two weeks earlier, when he seemed to lose ground against Romney, who surged in the polls after their first encounter on October 3.

A survey by broadcaster CNN of people who watched the debate found 46 per cent thought Obama won, while 39 per cent favoured Romney.

There was almost no discussion of foreign policy except from theattack on the US consulate in Libya. Romney painted the administration as slow to label the September 11 incident as a terrorist attack, while Obama claimed he had made a quick reference to an act of terror.

At one point, the men approached each other trading verbal jabs as they stood just feet apart and questioned the veracity of each others’ arguments.

"Governor Romney doesn’t have a five-point (economic) plan - hehas a one-point plan," Obama said, "and it’s to make sure that people at the top play by a different set of rules." The 90-minute debate at Hofstr a University in New York state saw questions posed from undecided voters in the audience.

"I think you know that these last four years haven’t been so good as the president just described, and that you don’t feel like you’re confident that the next four years are going to be much better either," Romney told one questioner who said he had voted for Obama four years ago.

Romney argued for his proposal to cut income taxes by 20 per cent across the board, saying that the reductions could be paid for by paring back tax deductions. He pointed out that 54 per cent of US workers are employed at small businesses taxed under the personal income tax.

Obama replied that "we haven’t heard from the governor any specifics" about how to pay for what Obama argued were tax policies that would cost more than 6 trillion dollars over 10 years.

He said that Romney himself, as a successful investor, "wouldn’t have taken such a sketchy deal," Obama said. "And neither should you, the American people, because the math doesn’t add up." Romney said the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi that killed four Americans illustrated the failure of Obama’s foreign policy.

"This was an attack by terrorists," Romney said, questioning theObama administration’s initial claims that the incident arose from a mob protesting an anti-Islam film. "This calls into question the president’s entire policy in the Middle East." Obama dodged a question about whether the State Department had ignored requests for more security at the Benghazi compound.

"I’m the president and I’m always responsible," he said. "That’s why no one is more interested in finding out exactly what happened than me." The men then traded barbs about whether Obama had called the incident a terrorist attack immediately following the event. His remarks the next day at the White House made reference to "acts of terror," but the administration continued to say the attack arose from an angry mob. That claim proved false.

Romney was widely seen as the winner of the first debate onOctober 3, and pressure had mounted on Obama to perform in their second face off.

Opinion polls show Romney gaining ground since the first debate, with a USA Today and Gallup poll earlier in the day showing 50 percent of likely voters in 12 swing states would choose the Republican candidate for president, while 46 would choose Obama. The margin of error was plus or minus 4 points.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-17

Some minutes ago I switched on Fox. The prediction was TRUE.

Then you will be aware of this phenomenon …….?ohmy.png

Luntz Focus Group Of Mostly Former Obama Voters Switch To Romney

A Frank Luntz focus group made up mostly of former Obama voters say they now support Mitt Romney.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/10/16/luntz_focus_group_of_mostly_former_obama_voters_switch_to_romney.html

What are the chances Obama has ordered every effort to catch or kill the ambassadors killers by election day? Not a criticism, any politician would do the same.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Even better, the day before the foreign policy debate!

It's a fluid situation.

Quick debate reaction from swing state Colorado so called undecided voters (what's their problem?):

58 percent Obama

34 percent Romney

At this point, SPIN is all the Romney side has to talk about the debate because the audience knows who won. Yes. Obama. So what does this mean going forward? The feeling now is probably that debate 3 is not as important as the first two debates as domestic issues are much more important in this race regardless of the right wing drive to try to oversell their Libya card.

Edited by Jingthing

FOOD FOR THOUGHT>

To me its quite amazing to see the "spin" that the media try to put on this debate.

I am neither Republican nor Democrat, in fact i don't even know the difference !

However i was impressed with Romney. He appears to have the "runs on the board" (experience) with an excellent record as a govenor, one of the best economies in USA, one of the best education systems in USA, good employment and very good consideration for womens employment in his state.and a very good and successful businessman with a true plan and vision for America's future. Whereas Obama

seemed to me to be just plain critical of Romney with some, let me say rather "stretched" versions of Romney's ideas bordering on absolute lies ! To me, it appears that Obama has made quite a mess of the past 4 years and is only promising another 4 years of the same.........High unemployment, high prices, high borrowing and no real vision or ideas.

Anyhow what would i know i am Aussie, but if i had to vote then i would vote for ROMNEY.

p.s. Less than 20% of the American public voted for the President the last time !

• Like 2

When Romney left office, he was quite unpopular. In his home state of Massachusetts where he was supposedly so "amazing" he has a ZERO percent chance of winning against Obama. His Romneycare was pretty good but the nationalized version of it Obamacare, he pledges to trash.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT>

To me its quite amazing to see the "spin" that the media try to put on this debate.

I am neither Republican nor Democrat, in fact i don't even know the difference !

However i was impressed with Romney. He appears to have the "runs on the board" (experience) with an excellent record as a govenor, one of the best economies in USA, one of the best education systems in USA, good employment and very good consideration for womens employment in his state.and a very good and successful businessman with a true plan and vision for America's future. Whereas Obama

seemed to me to be just plain critical of Romney with some, let me say rather "stretched" versions of Romney's ideas bordering on absolute lies ! To me, it appears that Obama has made quite a mess of the past 4 years and is only promising another 4 years of the same.........High unemployment, high prices, high borrowing and no real vision or ideas.

Anyhow what would i know i am Aussie, but if i had to vote then i would vote for ROMNEY.

p.s. Less than 20% of the American public voted for the President the last time !

More than 130 million people turned out to vote Tuesday, the most ever to vote in a presidential election.

With ballots still being counted in some precincts into Wednesday morning, an estimated 64 percent of the electorate turned out, making 2008 the highest percentage turnout in generations.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT>

incumbents always are going to have to struggle with the fact they have a track record to defend. It happens both ways. (eg George Bush I vs Clinton in 1992)

Often these criticisms are channeled through simplistic 3 or 4 word catch cries (It's the economy stupid).

And these work as most swinging voters are just about dumb enough or impatient enough to get suckered in by them. (nb...that basically automatically excludes EVERYONE on a thread like this who by definition think about their politics, regardless of their bias).

It was always thus and always thus will be.

• Like 1

Obama won debate two but one thing he didn't do well enough was paint a clear vision for his second term. He did a decent job deconstructing Romney and defending his first term. That's why I feel it is unknown what level of bounce (if any) he will get from the win.

• Like 1

What are the chances Obama has ordered every effort to catch or kill the ambassadors killers by election day? Not a criticism, any politician would do the same.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Even better, the day before the foreign policy debate!

It's a fluid situation.

Quick debate reaction from swing state Colorado so called undecided voters (what's their problem?):

58 percent Obama

34 percent Romney

At this point, SPIN is all the Romney side has to talk about the debate because the audience knows who won. Yes. Obama. So what does this mean going forward? The feeling now is probably that debate 3 is not as important as the first two debates as domestic issues are much more important in this race regardless of the right wing drive to try to oversell their Libya card.

Surely the first priority for the President should be to identify exactly who sent these offensive messages

( which is easily done with today's technology) and prosecute them to the hilt?

http://twitchy.com/2...ey-proliferate/

Edited by Asiantravel

Whereas Obama

seemed to me to be just plain critical of Romney with some, let me say rather "stretched" versions of Romney's ideas bordering on absolute lies ! To me, it appears that Obama has made quite a mess of the past 4 years and is only promising another 4 years of the same

Too bad that 47% of the US population is not as perceptive as you are. biggrin.png

Obama targeted women and Ohio and he achieved his goal of shoring up their support. Romney was weak on his women issues responses iin respect to the pay equity issue (Ledbetter), contraception and his nonsensical comment about women in his cabinet.

Romney should have said, "I'm interested to hear the President explain why women in his own administration are paid less than the men"

THIS is what I'm talking about (I'm SURE the unbiased fact checkers will be all over this one too)

Obama touts fair pay for women, despite records showing women paid less in his own White House

While Obama made the empathetic case for his single mother and his belief in equal pay — pointing out that the first bill he signed as president was the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act — he did not address reports this year that demonstrated that his own White House pays women less than men.

According to a report published by the Free Beacon in April, the 2011 annual report on White House staff revealed that the median annual salary for female White House employees was 18 percent less than male employees — $60,000 compared to $71,000.

And in 2008, Scripps Howard syndicated columnist Deroy Murdock noted that as in Obama’s U.S. Senate office, women were paid less than men: While the average male staffer brought home $54,397, female staffers averaged $45,152.

Read more:
Edited by koheesti

Obama is coming out the winner of debate 2 in all post debate polls and even Krauthammer has stated that Obama won on points. So I think it's fair to say that public perception does matter and Obama won the debate. Trying to say it was a draw when the public overwhelmingly thinks Obama won it is simply not credible. What that is worth, how can anyone know? The other variable, how BIG did he win it? I think he won it moderately, but others think he won it big, or won it slightly. I think most people don't think he won it BIG even the partisans that might be spinning it that way.

Edited by Jingthing

^ I agree, the Libya card is a very minor issue in this campaign, despite Republican attempts to blow it up. Americans have come to expect screw ups abroad, such as er...Iraq. crazy.gif

no its most certainly not ( now ) !!

http://www.dailymail...-Watergate.html

Then there's 'fast & furious' or the many leaks coming out of the White house which have jeopardized U.S Navy Seals and the security interests of her allies. There are many Watergates surrounding the Obama administration, yet the press seems reluctant in the extreme to follow them up, indeed it appears to do the opposite.

• Like 1

That's interesting but keep in mind undecided voters are a small segment and many of them won't vote at all, and arguably a much bigger determinative factor is how both sides can succeed in getting out their actual decided supporters to actually vote.

Edited by Jingthing

I think they both lost. Both hardly answered questions. If I had to pick a winner, I'd give a slight edge to Obama...maybe because he was better than the first debate.

I'm on a roll this morning! ;)

Romney v. Obama Was a Nauseating Draw, and Both Deserve to Lose

It was like two beginners playing tennis with each other, neither able to hit the ball over the net. Both deserve to lose.

Last night’s debate has to be considered a draw, albeit one in which both fighters punched themselves out in the first round. It was truly an embarrassing night for each candidate, and as the world was watching, an embarrassing night for the United States more broadly.

• Like 1

The Dems and their media lackeys are doing their utmost to paint a misleading picture of the polls. In addition rightly fearing the deaths of U.S diplomats in Libya will stick to Obama I note that Hillary has taken a bullet for the Emperor.

http://www.bbc.com/n...canada-19958739

US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says she takes responsibility for the failure in security at the US consulate in Benghazi, where the US ambassador to Libya was killed last month.

The Dems and their Media Lackeys , What about the Reps and Rupert Murdochstein