Pottery And 'longnecks' In Chiang Rai

Limbo

'Unknown user' showed us some very nice pictures of her visit to Din Daeng Pottery ('earth red' pottery). This pottery belongs to Acharn Somluck Pantiboon and his Japanese wife Tamako.

It is certainly worth a visit. It is one of the most well-organized and well-designed workshop/showrooms in the province. Beautifully situated in the middle of nature.

But in spite of this, easy to find:

About halfway the superhighway from Chiang Rai to Maechan to the right (east).

To make it even easier to find you will see signs along the road (coming from Chiang Rai AND coming from Maechan) with a portrait of a 'longneck' woman on it, inviting you to visit her and her friends.

The pottery is on the road leading to the longneck village, about three kilometers from the superhighway at its left side. Some big pots will show you the way.

Acharn Somluck studied art in Japan. His artistic craftmanship is widey recognized. He is one of the few artists of Chiang Rai who exhibited several times abroad as well.

Contrary to the longneck-village you don't have to pay an entrance fee visiting the pottery.

The artificial longneck-village, founded a couple of years ago, is ment to be a tourist attraction.

As far as known to me the rather substantial entrance fee and the money you pay for taking pictures is the sole source of income of this 'community of models' :o .

At the pottery not only Acharn Somlucks art-works are for sale, but also earthenware for daily use.

So if you are looking for some nice design ...

Limbo.

I'm really concerned about the Long Neck Village. While the Long Neck or Padawng villagers are probably earning much more than what they would were they to remain in Burma, they way they are treated at Nang Lae is deplorable :D . Treated like zoo animals, the Padawng and other tribal villagers assembled here have no freedom of movement :o .

I wonder whether the permit to hire aliens to work there includes tourism activities? I wonder how much of the Bt 250 entrance fee goes to the hilltribe villagers? Or are they paid a fixed salary?

'Unknown user' showed us some very nice pictures of her visit to Din Daeng Pottery ('earth red' pottery). This pottery belongs to Acharn Somluck Pantiboon and his Japanese wife Tamako.

It is certainly worth a visit. It is one of the most well-organized and well-designed workshop/showrooms in the province. Beautifully situated in the middle of nature.

To make it even easier to find you will see signs along the road (coming from Chiang Rai AND coming from Maechan) with a portrait of a 'longneck' woman on it, inviting you to visit her and her friends.

The pottery is on the road leading to the longneck village, about three kilometers from the superhighway at its left side. Some big pots will show you the way.

Acharn Somluck studied art in Japan. His artistic craftmanship is widey recognized. He is one of the few artists of Chiang Rai who exhibited several times abroad as well.

Contrary to the longneck-village you don't have to pay an entrance fee visiting the pottery.

The artificial longneck-village, founded a couple of years ago, is ment to be a tourist attraction.

As far as known to me the rather substantial entrance fee and the money you pay for taking pictures is the sole source of income of this 'community of models' :D .

At the pottery not only Acharn Somlucks art-works are for sale, but also earthenware for daily use.

Limbo.

I'm really concerned about the Long Neck Village. While the Long Neck or Padawng villagers are probably earning much more than what they would were they to remain in Burma, they way they are treated at Nang Lae is deplorable :D . Treated like zoo animals, the Padawng and other tribal villagers assembled here have no freedom of movement :o .

I wonder whether the permit to hire aliens to work there includes tourism activities? I wonder how much of the Bt 250 entrance fee goes to the hilltribe villagers? Or are they paid a fixed salary?

As far as known to me the rather substantial entrance fee and the money you pay for taking pictures is the sole source of income of this 'community of models' :D .

Limbo.

The pottery and earthenware workshop is worth a visit - some beautiful pieces there. The Longneck "village" is a perfect example of tourism gone bad. The inhabitants of this human zoo are individually selected for their attractiveness to tourists. The more responsible tour offices refuse to bring tourists there.

:D Mymechew

Hi Limbo,

When I was working in Laos, just over the border from Chiang Khong I came across some beautiful 60 x 60 cm red clay floor tiles laid at a private home in Chaing Rai.

The information I got was that they were hand made at a pottery located here.

“There is a shop which sells pottery on the left hand side of the Asia Highway as you approach Mae Chan beyond the university.”

Is this the same place?

I am trying to get hold of samples sent to me in BKK for a new house we plan in Hua Hin. I understand they make smaller tiles also.

Can any one in Chiang Rai help with contact tel numbers so we can contact the supplier direct for samples.

I also heard the tile are quite fragile?

Thanks.

i think this may help....

xxxxxxx.com

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear 'unknown user',

I am sorry to inform you that the forum rules don't allow commercial websites to be mentioned.

Otherwise it would become a big mess.

I hope you can live with it, because nobody wants to miss your contributions to our (and your) forum.

Did we meet at Huay Maesai Waterfall some days ago? In that case I was the guy who paid your beer ;-).

Tiles were made by a factory not far from Maechan. They had a showroom between Maechan and Ban Pasang on the left of the 'superhighway'. So some kilometers north of Maechan. Very high quality.

It was run by a very nice French chap, Dominique.

He went bankrupt three years ago and went back to France.

Maybe this is the one Malcolminthemiddle ment.

I will go north to-morrow, so I will keep my eyes open.

Limbo.

Edited by Limbo

• 8 months later...

Yes, that's a good question.

I just heard about an official (TAT) guide who for months visited this 'village'.

He charged the tourists in his buses 700 Baht each for entrance.

Finally some tourists understood how they were cheated and complained. The representative of the foreign travel agency contacted the Thai touroperator that employed the guide and the person was subsequently put on buses of another travel agent. Problem solved :D

Limbo :D

PS: Still wondering why according to research a majority of schoolchildren wants to become a tourist guide?

"PS: Still wondering why according to research a majority of schoolchildren wants to become a tourist guide? "

reasons. 1. they though that is good to know how to speak english.

2. they though that is a good chance to talk with real farang as a tour guide.

3. they though that they can travel many places too as a tourguide.

4. They though being a tourguide is an easy job . can work and travel in the same time.

and 5. they though they can be rich from being a tourguide (hahah only when u r a good cheater).

Do u think so? or im i wrong?

5. they though they can be rich from being a tourguide (hahah only when u r a good cheater).

Do u think so? or im i wrong?

I think you are absolutely right.

I also think that a simple tourguide makes more money than a doctor or anybody else with an academic profession.

Greetings,

Limbo :o

I'm surprised that if you're building in Hua Hin that you want tiles from up here in CR. There are numerous tile manufacturers in and around Ratchaburi where you will find what you want.

You're right they can be quite fragile and may not survive the journey from the north.

Cheers!

I just heard about an official (TAT) guide who for months visited this 'village'.

He charged the tourists in his buses 700 Baht each for entrance.

Went there (first time) last sunday... The "guard" asked me to "pay ticket" : 500 THB, and 300 THB for my thai friend... !

I went with a "chauffeur" (not a tour), who insisted to introduce me to the "guard"...

I turned back, and explained to the driver that I would not need his services the following day. He started to complain : "it's not me, before it was 150 THB it's myanmar mafia, blablabla".

And what is wrong with a human zoo?? I remember as a kid at the fair, my favorite attraction was

the "freak show" I got to see sealman, rubberman, huge fat lady, octopussman, and many more

that intrigued me, but also helped me realize how lucky i was to be born almost normal. The human

rights advocates fought to shut these shows down and won, and the freaks were totally p*ssed to loose

there 6 figure jobs.

My 2 experiences to the longnecks, i thought they looked very happy and content. Never mind the

percentage of the gate they get, they get cash in hand from photos, which has to be gobs. I had guests last year that went there and thought it was a wonderful zoo. The price was 150 as i recall.

They had seen pic of them, but amazed to learn they didn't have long necks, but the rings push

there shoulders down.

The owner, who i have met, has to charge x amount, because he is running an operation that

requires payoffs. The tour quide ops that charge 5x more are rippin the people off. :o