Getting Sick Of Dogooders

jamescollister

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I agree 100%, I haven't sprained my ankle and should be getting on with the chicken coop. A side effect of poverty is poor education, superstition, ignorance about health issues (I had to explain about STDs and HIV to a couple yesterday, I was surprised that they knew so little).

I have seen enough mud floored shacks with chickens wandering in and out, a TV in the corner and empty Lao Kow bottles everywhere. Building projects that have been abandoned, .. moan moan. Anyway, poverty isn't what it's cracked up to be, I grew up in it myself and what disturbed me most was the lack of interest for anything remotely cultured or well done.

get well soon

If people can still buy sigarets and drink alcahol, they are not poor.

I see many thai's driveing brand new big pickup trucks worth over 1 mill baht

I think thai's like too play the poor me card,

wich was one's true 20 years ago but has fadded over the years.

If you can wast money on drugs and alcohol(samething)gamble,

buy whitening cream,drive a car and work very little...you are not poor

and don't even know what its like to be poor,

because you would be saveing your pennies for that rainy day.

• Like 2

I have yet to come across a cold, lonely or hungry Thai. There are plenty back in the UK though.

The elderly are also well cared for here not stuffed in nursing homes and forgotten by their family.

The kids also have so much more fun and freedom here than back home where they are not even allowed out alone because everyone is paranoid and living in fear.

• Like 1

I agree totally. Been married to an Isaan girl for abut 25 years and now live in Roi Et (a village). I have had a house here for 20+ years and the family and extended family are very close. The point is that they have been surviving hore very nicely for centuries without any assistance from us. A falang recenctly came with his "girlfriend" and thought that her house was a barn beacause its mainly tin.

Sorry I've forgotten what the story was (too much Chang)

Will look again tomorrow.

Mike

• Like 1

I agree 110% and it is not just in Issan, while i was living in Bali the annual USA poverty report came out and it made me cringe with embarrassment as indo was on the list becuase of an arbitrary monetary standard set by only who knows whom or where. At that time much could be done with 1.00 dollar a day yet washington believed otherwise.

It is not really right to be upset with people whose hearts are in the right place but are truly misinformed. Lots of charities miss the mark, but it isn't the well intending donors that are to blame, it is those who direct the funds. There are many people doing good and useful works in their own small way. But these people are under the radar. The money generally flows to the big NGO's with advertising budgets.

If you really want to support someone doing good, it is best to get to know them first. Most NGO's spend a high percentage of donated money on the organization.

There are poor people in Thailand, just visit a few remote northern villages and share a few meals. You will see some sad stories there.

• Like 2

The people in Issan had no idea they were poor until they got televisions. Now they watch the soap operas and realize that some Thai people are incredibly wealthy. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Life goes on for them and a full belly is happiness.

• Like 1

Around the world,Poverty and Religeon often go hand in hand!

I don't appreciate that. Around the world, communism and poverty often go hand in hand, and they are athiests for a large part. See N. Korea vs LOS. Most Western countries are primarily of some religion. In the ME, it's Islam but many are wealthy with oil. I could go on, but you have no right denigrating those who are religious. Such comments can only be divisive.

• Like 1

Around the world,Poverty and Religeon often go hand in hand!

I don't appreciate that. Around the world, communism and poverty often go hand in hand, and they are athiests for a large part. See N. Korea vs LOS. Most Western countries are primarily of some religion. In the ME, it's Islam but many are wealthy with oil. I could go on, but you have no right denigrating those who are religious. Such comments can only be divisive.

I wasn't denigrating anyones religeon,far from it,people make their own choices what they believe in,I was merely stating an observation,the same as you were with the Communist link with Poverty.

• Like 1

The people in Issan had no idea they were poor until they got televisions. Now they watch the soap operas and realize that some Thai people are incredibly wealthy. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Life goes on for them and a full belly is happiness.

Can't fully agree with that. Thanks to Television, the realization that they are "poor" will sink in quickly. It awakens certain desires as far as material goods is concerned. Not surprising, a family member will often be sent off to see to it, that some of those desired goods find their way to the family back in the Isaan. We know the rest of the story.................!

After that, the story of "The Fisherman" quoted above by GWEILOMAN comes into effect. It's basically a simplefied description of the inner workings of capitalism.

As things unfold in "the western world", (Social Safety Net's for the old being deluted to the point of non-existance), it might well be, that the the system of "the young take care of the old" as we have it in Thailand, will prove to be far superior compared to the Safety-Nets western style.

A frank word about NGO's: For the most part they do good (or try too). But it's very hard to separate the white sheep from the black. It's not easy for a western sponsor to separate the two from a distance. Especially Cambodia seems to be a very good pasture for the black sheep kind. One wonders why there are still white collar criminals that bother to forge checks, as long as the playing field in form of a foundation (NGO) is wide open in Cambodia.

Cheers.

• Like 1

My wife's sister, husband and family live in a nice but small two bedroom house but there were no seats of any sort in the lounge area and they all sat on the floor with their necks craning to watch the tv.

Doing my do-gooder bit I went out with my wife and I bought them a nice settee and delivered it back to them. To my knowledge it never got used at all and has now disappeared altogether.

It always seemed an effort to get a cup of coffee when I visited so I bought them a nice water heater....once again it only gets switched on when I go there.

I have stopped wasting my money now because they will always live as they always have done.

Having said that they are talking about buying a pick up in a couple of months , so its not because they cant afford to have these things, they just choose not to.

HL biggrin.png

Edited by happylarry

This is an interesting thread, although I think the conclusion that is being developed (that no help is needed) is a bit myopic. Everywhere in the world you have people who cannot work for physical and mental reasons. There are orphans, widows and the elderly, and often times they do not find a nice place in the village social net. There are people who have debilitating conditions and cannot afford the procedure that would make them well again. Many of these people can receive some type of relief if discovered by the right organizations.

Thailand may not be facing any famine, food is abundant and living conditions are tropical.

A simpler way of life is possible here which has all of the appearance of hard living to the eyes of a westerner. But this does not mean all charity should end.

A very basic problem of getting help to where it is needed in a meaningful way is the fact that; people in the west cannot tell the difference between sensible country living and hardcore poverty. This is because if they lived the same way in America they would either die from the elements or be arrested for some zoning violation. What really is need is for people who can tell the difference to get involved in these kind of organizations and help direct the good intentions of the donors to the hands of the truly destitute.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is even on topic, but I do donate to a US organization which is based in my state. I know where the money goes and that it does good. Every year they plan a trip to some 3rd world destination, put out the word in advance, and arrive to do free cleft palate surgeries. They are doctors and nurses and anesthesiologists and helpers. Each team member pays his own travel expenses so not even that comes from my donations. The medical professionals work for free of course.

When they arrive, the word has gotten out and they do dozens of surgeries, one after the other and they do them right. It of course it changes the patient's life forever. I think this is something which rather than try to change the culture, targets individuals who are truly helped.

• Like 2

great posting jim, ill say well done to you wise man,

this when you think of it, im 52, when i was growing up we could play outside, i didnt have much when i was growing up, non of us did, we lived in a council street, nothing wrong with that, but what im getting at, me and all my mates could play outside from dawn till dusk,

our parents didnt have to worry about us, there was allways someone in the street looking,

i see the same here with our kids, they play all over the village,

but what i do see are happy kids allways smiling, they dont have things,

but like when i was growing up, give them a rope and a tree and youve got months of fun on that swing,,lol,

life is what you make it,

i had children in england sorry still do have children in england, my daughter is at uni, and my son is 15,

they never had the childhood that i had growing up, being able to run about free as i put it, yes we did go out fishing and shooting as much as we could, but they couldnt do what me and my freinds could do,

and what i see in thailand in the village is just what i was able to do with my freinds be free and enjoy my childhood,

i sit and watch them play and it makes me happy to see them, im allways sat there with a smile on my face,

as jim says being happy isnt about money, what youve got in your house, how big your house is,

infact a house is that a house without happyness,

it only becomes a home with happyness,

great thred jim, very thought provoking

brings back many many happy memories for me,

thank you,, jake

• Like 1

Thanks James for opening such an interesting & uplifting topic. It's so nice to see so many content farangs living here in Thailand for a change. I've told so many friends who visit Thailand regularly (that is Pattaya & Puket....Not real Thailand) that they really have no idea what REAL Thailand is all about. I live in Essan & personaly think it's a little piece of heaven with some of the nicest people I have ever met in my worldly travels. Every day I see the kids in the village playing together with a big mix of ages. They have very little in western kids conceptions of what you need to be happy materialisticly but I see happy happy kids, great imaginations & very high respect for their peirs & elders.

Thank you all who have made the effort to reflect on our beautiful quality life here in the true land of smiles.

Joe.

Joe, I have 2 kids, both born in Australia.

Kids in Thailand have a real childhood, not farmed off to strangers in day care centers, so mum and dad can go to work. They play in the street with other kids, watched over by Aunts,1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins and the village as a whole. They are not forced to stay in house in front of a TV because the streets are to dangerous to venture out. That's why we came here and when the kids get big enough they can choose, a simple life here or the bright lights of Sydney or London. That is their life, my part is to give them the happy child hood, so they can grow to be happy adults.

Material wealth does not bring contentment, if you have a secure life style, food to eat and a place to sleep, what more do you need. Jim

Man do you ever leave the Village? Try the Mountain lifestyle, no Medicine, no Work, no School, not enough to eat. Evidently you have never seen Poverty. Next time in BKK try walking around Klong Toey. I can,t believe no one has challenged your Myopic View. In Buddism we are taught to put up with our lot, so just because you don,t hear them complain doesn,t mean its all Beer and Skittles. If a Family,s Old Man drinks all the money or Mum Gambles it, couldn,t that reduce people to Poverty which you said in the OP that you don,t see, only Happy children and Contented Serfs .
  • Like 2

I have yet to come across a cold, lonely or hungry Thai. There are plenty back in the UK though.

The elderly are also well cared for here not stuffed in nursing homes and forgotten by their family.

The kids also have so much more fun and freedom here than back home where they are not even allowed out alone because everyone is paranoid and living in fear.

Man you should get out more.
  • Like 1