Getting Sick Of Dogooders

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I agree 100%, I haven't sprained my ankle and should be getting on with the chicken coop. A side effect of poverty is poor education, superstition, ignorance about health issues (I had to explain about STDs and HIV to a couple yesterday, I was surprised that they knew so little).

I have seen enough mud floored shacks with chickens wandering in and out, a TV in the corner and empty Lao Kow bottles everywhere. Building projects that have been abandoned, .. moan moan. Anyway, poverty isn't what it's cracked up to be, I grew up in it myself and what disturbed me most was the lack of interest for anything remotely cultured or well done.

get well soon

I must agree. A lot of them don't want to change especially the older ones. My wife's Grandparents still live they did 40 years ago. I offered to build them a small house and they refused as the one they had was perfectly adequate and they didn't need another.

• Like 2

If people can still buy sigarets and drink alcahol, they are not poor.

I see many thai's driveing brand new big pickup trucks worth over 1 mill baht

I think thai's like too play the poor me card,

wich was one's true 20 years ago but has fadded over the years.

If you can wast money on drugs and alcohol(samething)gamble,

buy whitening cream,drive a car and work very little...you are not poor

and don't even know what its like to be poor,

because you would be saveing your pennies for that rainy day.

• Like 2

I have yet to come across a cold, lonely or hungry Thai. There are plenty back in the UK though.

The elderly are also well cared for here not stuffed in nursing homes and forgotten by their family.

The kids also have so much more fun and freedom here than back home where they are not even allowed out alone because everyone is paranoid and living in fear.

• Like 1

I agree totally. Been married to an Isaan girl for abut 25 years and now live in Roi Et (a village). I have had a house here for 20+ years and the family and extended family are very close. The point is that they have been surviving hore very nicely for centuries without any assistance from us. A falang recenctly came with his "girlfriend" and thought that her house was a barn beacause its mainly tin.

Sorry I've forgotten what the story was (too much Chang)

Will look again tomorrow.

Mike

• Like 1

I agree 110% and it is not just in Issan, while i was living in Bali the annual USA poverty report came out and it made me cringe with embarrassment as indo was on the list becuase of an arbitrary monetary standard set by only who knows whom or where. At that time much could be done with 1.00 dollar a day yet washington believed otherwise.

It is not really right to be upset with people whose hearts are in the right place but are truly misinformed. Lots of charities miss the mark, but it isn't the well intending donors that are to blame, it is those who direct the funds. There are many people doing good and useful works in their own small way. But these people are under the radar. The money generally flows to the big NGO's with advertising budgets.

If you really want to support someone doing good, it is best to get to know them first. Most NGO's spend a high percentage of donated money on the organization.

There are poor people in Thailand, just visit a few remote northern villages and share a few meals. You will see some sad stories there.

• Like 2

The people in Issan had no idea they were poor until they got televisions. Now they watch the soap operas and realize that some Thai people are incredibly wealthy. What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Life goes on for them and a full belly is happiness.

• Like 1