BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jamescollister

Getting Sick Of Dogooders

Not many pick ups that are over 1 million Baht that I have seen. They also will be hocked up to the eyeballs and then some so can honestly play the poor Thai as they pay every Satang they earn for the truck.

I presume English isn't your first, second or third language ? wink.png

haha , like you can write! not !

There have been some good replies to this topic, very interesting. It is my birthday and the wife has bought me a bottle of whiskey and I am drunk. Tomorrow I will tell the story of the NGO who built a fish pond out this way. Jim

Hey Buddy Why don,t you go over and see how the Charcoal Makers live in your Issan Idyll.cheesy.gif

Don't follow, we make charcoal at the back of the house, as do many of the neighbors. Something bad about charcoal making. Jim

There have been some good replies to this topic, very interesting. It is my birthday and the wife has bought me a bottle of whiskey and I am drunk. Tomorrow I will tell the story of the NGO who built a fish pond out this way. Jim

Hey Buddy Why don,t you go over and see how the Charcoal Makers live in your Issan Idyll.cheesy.gif

Don't follow, we make charcoal at the back of the house, as do many of the neighbors. Something bad about charcoal making. Jim

Yeh, if l lived next door. bah.gif

Not much Money making Charcoal Jim, Perhaps as an Exercise, you could pop along to the Charcoal Makers, and see their Wirlie with its cross flow ventilation. (who needs Aircon) and Wonder how many People are all sharing one clapped out Bike, (Helping the Enviroment). The Water Resevoir, down east of the Korat Railway Station not so far from town should open your Heart ,

Not much Money making Charcoal Jim, Perhaps as an Exercise, you could pop along to the Charcoal Makers, and see their Wirlie with its cross flow ventilation. (who needs Aircon) and Wonder how many People are all sharing one clapped out Bike, (Helping the Enviroment). The Water Resevoir, down east of the Korat Railway Station not so far from town should open your Heart ,

Not sure what your point is? Have you thought about the value add of speculators , banks ,middle men et al all exploiting people and the environment.?......lots of money maybe but without the the people that actually produce the necessities of life on a daily basis many of us would die off by natural selection........maybe one day.....then hopefully all rich and famous hypercritics can all go sit on a cloud and die of boredom.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Don't think you and me are on the same page here, I am talking about people who come to rural Issan to save the starving farmers in this hell hole. You then bring up slums in BKK, refugees and charcoal makers.

Agree that some jobs are not nice and I have done low paid dirty work in the west, but that has nothing to do with Issan farmers and dogooders. Imagine illegal Mexican farm workers in the US don't have it all that good either, but it is not the topic. Jim

• Like 1

Around the world,Poverty and Religeon often go hand in hand!

I don't appreciate that. Around the world, communism and poverty often go hand in hand, and they are athiests for a large part. See N. Korea vs LOS. Most Western countries are primarily of some religion. In the ME, it's Islam but many are wealthy with oil. I could go on, but you have no right denigrating those who are religious. Such comments can only be divisive.

Don't think he is denigrating the religious so much as the dogma and religious power. Although this is not a political/religious topic I think that the question comes up as to why the catholic church for example is extremely rich and powerful in countries where there are areas of greatest poverty. Go into any church in rural Mexico...poor people giving their pennies to buy candles in a church adorned with gold....rule by fear ...you will go to hell if you don't give type teachings have been around for centuries....And they are not taxed or independently audited ....so they are free to leech from those who can least afford it....rant over...

Bang on the nail! David.

It's paradise. After reading through those posts, I can only isolate minor problems. Real problems only arise, when the Farang HAS to return back home. Once past the age of 45 it's basically immpossible to land a job anymore in the so called "West". The bridges are knowingly or unknowingly burnt.

So lets all cope with the minor problems that daily life has to offer in Thailand and be as happy as we can.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Tell the yanks to go home, next they'll be wanting to open a Mckraps,next to the rice paddy,I agree with james collister they live a stress free existence where comradery, respect are present, something sadly dissapearing in the west,What amuses me in my travels in isaan, laos is the makeshift abodes with a 3 metre satellite dish costing much more than the house, one thing they love their thai soap operas, slapstick childish quiz shows, I'm sure my girlfriend is using her present life to get as much television hours in as possible,in case she can't enjoy in her next life. ha-ha.

regards songhklasid.clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

Time to be a nitpicker. It isnt the making of the charcoal that presents the big problem, it is the health risk in using it in the kitchen.

• Like 1

I read this and keep thinking about things I could say. Then I have another beer and forget my theme. I've just remembered a comment from my wife's sister last April. She's married to e\an englishman and lives in Hounslow. She has been there about 10 years. She said at Songran when she went Thailand was poor and the Uk was rich. Now she thinks the UK is poor and Thailand is rich (she's from Isaan).

• Like 2

slight exaggeration

Perhaps not. I know a Thai lady using the UK system that is in deep doo doo cos she did not understand the UK cost of living. sad.png

yes, thailand's gdp is much higher than the UK. thailand will never match the likes of south korea, japan, singapore because of the incompetence, laziness and corruption