BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
jamescollister

Getting Sick Of Dogooders

But have those who live in villages actually seen any professional 'do-gooders'?

I can't imagine they get that far from their five star hotels and air-con.

• Like 2

If I was living back in Canada, most of my money would be spent on my immediate family ( wife and 2 kids) and taxes.

Here in Ubon, we also have 2 nieces ( 1 going to local university and the other just started a job at the city hospital)One niece is from wife's older brother and the other is from her older sister.

Next door to us is another young niece, who just got married, she is 21 and husband is 26 and they have a child. They don't ask for anything, but the wife does provide them much of help. Then are are more of her relatives, but they are further away, but they too need help.

Sometimes, I will say to myself why are we helping so many people and I would like it to stop.

Then I ask myself, if given a choice, would I rather be poor and hope someone shares or be wealthy, but also be willing to share.

• Like 1

I do good by buying something for my DIL when I'm in BigC that isn't 100% fat, which is all she can afford, when I borrow her car I always fill it up and got some repairs done. They come and help immediately if I ask (though on the whole, I'd prefer they didn't). I decided that my money should stay in the family years ago and don't understand how people can give money to charities they don't really know anything about.

The more you help the under-priveliged, the less they help themselves, proven time & time again in Africa.

Could you give some examples where helping the under privileged, particularly the starving and shelter less, has been a bad thing?

• Like 1

I may be totally wrong, things must be bad here, because, as the need must be massive, worse than Cambodia or Africa.

Here's a bit from the Thai NGO awards 2011

There are 65,457 NGOs in Thailand working to promote education, public health, social welfare and associations’ promotion. These NGOs provide the populace with a voice in decision-making and work in co-ordination with the government to develop the country. They have also contributed to socio-economic growth, considering the sector’s GDP that is accounted for 72,112 million Baht that created 792,517 volunteering jobs in 2008

The must be a massive need, at those numbers you would think there was a do gooder under ever tree. Jim

Perhaps I should have explained something at the beginning, I am not a farang standing outside looking in on the lives of rural Issan farmers. I have no pension, shares, bank accounts, money or any thing in the west and very little in the bank in Thailand. We live off the land, every Baht we spend comes from the soil of Issan.

For many years we lived, on and off in a one room stilt house, all sleeping [wife kids and me ]on a mat, no running water, cold bucket showers. It was not that bad, we were happy as a family. Things have improved as the years went by and we have a house now, new car etc.

When I read or hear the dogooders telling the world that the place is full of downtrodden poverty stricken despair and we, yes me, need their help and guidance, it pisses me off.

I am for all intensive purposes a poor rural Issan farmer and live in a poor farming village, we, family and the village as a whole live happy stress free fun loving lives.

May not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a long way from some hell hole in Africa. Jim

So James, how do you qualify for a visa to stay here with no money and no income from outside Thailand?

Perhaps I should have explained something at the beginning, I am not a farang standing outside looking in on the lives of rural Issan farmers. I have no pension, shares, bank accounts, money or any thing in the west and very little in the bank in Thailand. We live off the land, every Baht we spend comes from the soil of Issan.

For many years we lived, on and off in a one room stilt house, all sleeping [wife kids and me ]on a mat, no running water, cold bucket showers. It was not that bad, we were happy as a family. Things have improved as the years went by and we have a house now, new car etc.

When I read or hear the dogooders telling the world that the place is full of downtrodden poverty stricken despair and we, yes me, need their help and guidance, it pisses me off.

I am for all intensive purposes a poor rural Issan farmer and live in a poor farming village, we, family and the village as a whole live happy stress free fun loving lives.

May not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a long way from some hell hole in Africa. Jim

So James, how do you qualify for a visa to stay here with no money and no income from outside Thailand?

Where did I say I have no money, we make our living farming and not a bad living at that. Sometimes better some times not so good.

As for visa, married to a Thai and have 2 kids, not a problem.

Think some people may be surprised at what some industrious Thai farmers actually earn, tax free, no mortgages, little or not food bills. To be honest we probably make more in expendable income than I did in the west working. What we make is ours, except for the car payments. Have fish, ducks and chickens, fruit, corn and a share of some rice, make our cash from rubber,

On you tube and have a blogg. Jim

Where did I say I have no money, we make our living farming and not a bad living at that. Sometimes better some times not so good.

Think some people may be surprised at what some industrious Thai farmers actually earn, tax free, no mortgages, little or not food bills. To be honest we probably make more in expendable income than I did in the west working. What we make is ours, except for the car payments. Have fish, ducks and chickens, fruit, corn and a share of some rice, make our cash from rubber,

Jim you stated above no income from abroad and little money in Thailand, so how do you satisfy 400000 in bank or 40000 a month income from outside Thailand and surely you cannot have a work permit for farming as this is reserved for Thais only? very interested as I have 100 rai with rubber sugar and naturally rice.

Jim you stated above no income from abroad and little money in Thailand, so how do you satisfy 400000 in bank or 40000 a month income from outside Thailand and surely you cannot have a work permit for farming as this is reserved for Thais only? very interested as I have 100 rai with rubber sugar and naturally rice.

On the visa side you need 400,000 Baht for 1 day to get a support of a child extension of stay, no seeding needed. Or shot over to Lao for a multi entry O for spouse, no need to show money, just show kids and wife.

As for WP there is a thread in the farming section on the subject, I don't have one and really don't do much in the way of work, more like a bit of gardening. It's rural Issan not Pattaya, things run at a different pace here. Jim

I may be totally wrong, things must be bad here, because, as the need must be massive, worse than Cambodia or Africa.

There are 65,457 NGOs in Thailand working to promote education, public health, social welfare and associations’ promotion. These NGOs provide the populace with a voice in decision-making and work in co-ordination with the government to develop the country. They have also contributed to socio-economic growth, considering the sector’s GDP that is accounted for 72,112 million Baht that created 792,517 volunteering jobs in 2008

The must be a massive need, at those numbers you would think there was a do gooder under ever tree. Jim

65457 NGO's ? If all of them would perform according to their statuary goals, to combat lack of education, health and poverty in general, all of this would not be an issue in Thailand anymore.

Nevermind, I have already stated my opinion on NGO's on the bottom part of post # 19 within this thread.

Cheers.

If married to a Thai, one can get a multi-non O visa, I didn't need money in the bank.

You have to exit and re-enter the country every 90 days. If you space it out properly, you can stretch

close to 15 months. When I got mine in South Korea, I didn't need to show any money in the

bank.

The 400,000 baht in the bank is for an extension of stay based on marriage. There are many

different visas one can use to stay in the country. By marrying a Thai allows for some additional

visas that are not offered to foreigners without Thai family.

65457 NGO's ? If all of them would perform according to their statuary goals, to combat lack of education, health and poverty in general, all of this would not be an issue in Thailand anymore.

Nevermind, I have already stated my opinion on NGO's on the bottom part of post # 19 within this thread.

Cheers.

Swissie, not only the number of NGOs, but look at the money, that number is 72,112 million, that's 72112000000, that's not a decimal point it;s a comma. Small counties have smaller GDPs, willing to bet most of the cash never made here. Jim

Do not expect them to read it here. Most of them only read one book.

• Like 1