Phuket Hard Rock Cafe Catches Fire After Spark From Iconic Guitar Sign

webfact

Phuket Hard Rock Cafe catches fire after spark from iconic guitar sign

Phuket Gazette

hr.jpeg

Thai rock-blues sensation Hugo (right) performs on the outdoor stage next to the iconic Hard Rock Cafe electric guitar sign earlier this year. Photo: Christian Mouchet

PHUKET: -- Fire broke out at Phuket’s Hard Rock Cafe on Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road in Patong at about 9am today after a spark reportedly jumped from the iconic electric guitar neon sign and started the blaze.

No injuries have been reported so far. However, early estimates of the damage have been reported at about 6 million baht.

The fire was discovered by a security guard, who said he saw a spark leap from the big guitar neon sign that is known worldwide as the Hard Rock Cafe icon.

Twenty firefighters from the Patong Department Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM-Patong) branch arrived on seven fire trucks. It took the team about 20 minutes to put out the blaze.

The marquee sails and stage area in front of the building suffered extensive damage.

“Repairs may take up to two weeks. We have asked for permission from the police to continue trading inside the main building as it was entirely unaffected by the fire. We cannot afford to lose the 500,000 baht a night we make in trade,” said Sasichol Thangnak, director of sales and marketing.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...sign-19201.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-18

The fire was discovered by a security guard, who said he saw a spark leap from the big guitar neon sign that is known worldwide as the Hard Rock Cafe icon.

If that's true, he is the most alert security guard I've ever seen in this country. I think it's more likely a cigarette that was tossed in the wrong spot and now he's gotta cover his rear...

• Like 2

Phuket Hard Rock punts to reopen tonight

Phuket Gazette

hr2.jpeg

Despite the fire destroying the large neon sign attached to the front of the building, the operators of the Hard Rock Cafe in Patong are hoping to reopen tonight. Photo: DDPM-Patong

PHUKET: -- Following the breaking news of a fire at the Hard Rock Cafe in Patong this morning, the Phuket Gazette has learned that the operators of the global brand-name venue are hoping to reopen tonight.

The fire was contained to the large neon sign attached to the front of the building.

The iconic electric guitar sign and the stage area, also in front of the building, were not damaged, as initially reported.

Mr Saenee, of Destination Properties Thailand, which operates the hotel attached to the Hard Rock Cafe, told the Gazette that they had yet to confirm what exactly caused the fire.

“We have yet to talk with the police. As I mentioned earlier, we are hoping that they will allow us to open as soon as possible – maybe even tonight – as only the front of the building was damaged by the fire.

“There was no structural damage and the interior was entirely unaffected by the blaze. Guests can enter the cafe through the main entrance to the adjoining hotel,” he said.

Mr Saenee confirmed that the estimated 6 million baht in damage to the sign and the front of the building is covered by insurance.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ight-19203.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-18

"The iconic electric guitar sign and the stage area, also in front of the building, were not damaged, as initially reported."

Looks that way to me too. The early reports (presumably NOT from any news source that is supposed to be well... reporting news?) must have been from the likes of "my friend just said this..."

Bht6m of damage? Where do people get these ridiculous numbers from. I trust the insurance company will do their due diligence on this.

Signs are expensive in Phuket! Besides this 6 million baht sign, we also have the 10 million baht ( or was it 12?) sign paid for out of gov't coffers going into Patong mentioning something about Phuket City. Signs aren't cheap around that part of the island.

If that's true, he is the most alert security guard I've ever seen in this country. I think it's more likely a cigarette that was tossed in the wrong spot and now he's gotta cover his rear...

Yesss!clap2.gif There ya go!!! You do not know a d_mn thing but you turn the story into thoroughly unfounded and absurd commentary about incompetence and negligence. I particularly like your cause of the conflagration (forget the fact that electric arching was observed). Yep. It was undoubtedly the security guard himself who tossed his cigarette coal at the neon signcheesy.gif

500K baht per day in low season is good turnover. Do they really get 500 people daily spending 1000 baht, or 250 people spending 2000 baht?

I don't go to Patong, but is the sign always lit up at 9 am?

Haven't been to that part of Thailand so I can't comment on the turnover, but 1000 or 2000 per table is probably about right. Figure nobody goes in alone, so at least two per table, a hamburger is probably 300, two beers each is another 300, double it for two people and you're at 1200. Tourists being tourists, they have to buy some Hard Rock memorabilia so add another 1000 or more.

• Like 1

Yesss!clap2.gif There ya go!!! You do not know a d_mn thing but you turn the story into thoroughly unfounded and absurd commentary about incompetence and negligence. I particularly like your cause of the conflagration (forget the fact that electric arching was observed). Yep. It was undoubtedly the security guard himself who tossed his cigarette coal at the neon signcheesy.gif

I read the same story, it doesn't say "10 people saw sparks arc from the sign", it does say the security guard says he saw it, far from conclusive evidence. Rionoir was perhaps a bit snide but we all know how useful security guards are here, there are 3-4 at any time at my complex and I would be surprised if they saw anything that didn't hit them.

• Like 1

The mind boggles.... in these days of PC and nanny-type safety policies, all these bodies which make the rules and standards (here and elsewhere) have forgotten one inexpensive/essential component during electrical installations - and this is basic LCCB's or RCCB's. Available in every electrics store in Thailand the pretty good Thai made. Safe-T-Cut

500,000 baht a night sounds about right. In fact this is now the beginning of high season. Most places that serve the "Devil's soup" (that would mean fermented beverages of all sorts) plus food. 500,000 baht is probably a low figure to what is actually taken in per day. The Hard Rock Chain in most country's are opened for lunch and dinner. No one i know has just one beer or drink let alone a table full of people getting their buzz on. burp.gifdrunk.gif

Bht6m of damage? Where do people get these ridiculous numbers from. I trust the insurance company will do their due diligence on this.

Signs are expensive in Phuket! Besides this 6 million baht sign, we also have the 10 million baht ( or was it 12?) sign paid for out of gov't coffers going into Patong mentioning something about Phuket City. Signs aren't cheap around that part of the island.

It wasn't "Phuket City", but "Patong City" which makes no sense as there is no such thing. Who goes on holiday to a "City" in Thailand? TIT.

9m according to this. http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2010/article8827.html

The mind boggles.... in these days of PC and nanny-type safety policies, all these bodies which make the rules and standards (here and elsewhere) have forgotten one inexpensive/essential component during electrical installations - and this is basic LCCB's or RCCB's. Available in every electrics store in Thailand the pretty good Thai made. Safe-T-Cut

Thailand is anything but a nanny state. There are virtually no building codes in Thailand, certainly none enforced.