What's Equivalent To A Ba?

Hi,

Have you ever thought you were going bananas or Alice in Wonderland! Then stick around.

My quest is to discover what is the equivalent to a BA in the eyes of the Thai Education Council.

On route to taking the Law Society's Finals UK, I first qualified as a Legal Executive, passing the Fellowship exam. Then I passed the Common Professional Examination in Law prior to sitting the Final exam.

To be eligible to take this exam you either had to have a BA or CPE.

In support of my application to the Council I have submitted letters from the London Metropolitan University and the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives in which they state that my Fellowship and CPE passes are equivalent to a Bachelor of Law, being level 6, on the National Qualifications Framework, UK. This level being the same as that for a BA.

I have produced a letter from a Thai lawyer, presenting my case and strong evidence in support. Incidentally, the letter had to be drafted by me. Money well spent! What do you think.

I sought the assistance of the British Consul. However, they are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

In addition to the above I have a Graduate Diploma in TESOL and 3 years teaching experience in Thailand.

DOES anyone have a solution? Surely I can't be the only farang to have encountered this problem!

The Teachers' Council of Thailand is responsible for the licensing of Thai and freign teachers working in basic education schools (K12). Notification of the Teachers Council of Thailand Board on Rules and Procedures for Testing and Evaluation of Knowledge of Foreigners in Applying for License to Practice the Teaching Profession B.E. 2549 (2006), Volume 123 Special Part 83 D Government Gazette July 31, 2006 states degree without stipulation of the level. http://www.ksp.or.th...ownload/013.pdf

If you have a university degree, it's all good. If you don't have one but you consider your education as equivalent you have to apply for an accreditation by The Teachers' Council of Thailand.

I can't figure out what your intentions are. Are you trying to study in a university in Thailand or are you trying to work as a teacher? If you are trying to study in Thailand with your current credentials, the Ministry of Education in Thailand only recognizes certain academic credentials. The rest don't mean anything. If you are trying to work as a teacher, I imagine the department of labor only recognizes certain credentials.

I can't figure out what your intentions are. Are you trying to study in a university in Thailand or are you trying to work as a teacher? If you are trying to study in Thailand with your current credentials, the Ministry of Education in Thailand only recognizes certain academic credentials. The rest don't mean anything. If you are trying to work as a teacher, I imagine the department of labor only recognizes certain credentials.

I've spoken with several foreign teachers here recently. Some were very worried that their qualifications would not suffice anymore. I understood from them at you must have a degree. A TEFL / TESOL etc wasn't enough on its own. Moreover, vocational professional body qualifications are unlikely to be accepted has equivalent to a degree in this context, assuming you are looking to carry on teaching. They are accepted as equivalent in the UK - providing they meet OFQUAL requirements but TIT.

I've spoken with several foreign teachers here recently. Some were very worried that their qualifications would not suffice anymore. I understood from them at you must have a degree. A TEFL / TESOL etc wasn't enough on its own. Moreover, vocational professional body qualifications are unlikely to be accepted has equivalent to a degree in this context, assuming you are looking to carry on teaching. They are accepted as equivalent in the UK - providing they meet OFQUAL requirements but TIT.

Thank you for your advice.

I am looking to continue teaching in Thailand and i am determined to convince the TCT that i have the requisite academic qualifications.

I studied for 5 years before sitting the Law Society's Final Exam. I have letters from UK teaching institutions including London Metropolitan University stating that my qualifications are equivalent to a a Bachelor of Law.In addition I have a Diploma in TESOL studied and assessed at MA level. Forgive me for saying that I am at a loss to comprehend why I am expering so much grieve over this issue. If anything, I am probably over qualified , if that's possible.

my qualifications are equivalent to a a Bachelor of Law

Sorry to hear your predicament. If the requirements are to have a degree than having obtained the equivalent of a degree is insufficient. If the requirements do not explicitly state "or the equivalent of a degree" there is theoretically no bases for an argument.

Having said this, personally I would prefer to employ someone with your experience and qualifications than someone with merely a degree for this position.

Good luck! Try to find suitable people, who could persuade officials as this seems well justified.

PS: A short possible answer: Equivalent to BA = BSc, LLB, BBA, .... Equivalent to first degree = NVQ6, ... Equivalent to taught postgraduate degree = CPE, NVQ7

Edited by Morakot

Sorry to hear your predicament. If the requirements are to have a degree than having obtained the equivalent of a degree is insufficient. If the requirements do not explicitly state "or the equivalent of a degree" there is theoretically no bases for an argument.

Having said this, personally I would prefer to employ someone with your experience and qualifications than someone with merely a degree for this position.

Good luck! Try to find suitable people, who could persuade officials as this seems well justified.

PS: A short possible answer: Equivalent to BA = BSc, LLB, BBA, .... Equivalent to first degree = NVQ6, ... Equivalent to taught postgraduate degree = CPE, NVQ7

Maybe, I'm worrying unecessarily about having a BA! My Fellowship Cert, is level 6 on the NFQ & QCF, as is my CPE, i.e BA, but i can trump these with my Graduate Diploma in TESOL = QCF, LEVEL 7= MA. I actually got a distinction in the latter. ( incidentally it was a darn site easier than taking the old style Law Society exams)

I always thought the word "equivalent" meant the same as. However, perhaps it's got a different meaning in Thai.

I think I'll make another visit to The British Consul to complete a Declaration regarding the aforesaid Diploma and years of study, Perhap's that will do the trick!

The TTC used to require that you have a certain number of credit hours in education before they would issue a teacher's license. I taught math for 6 years with a BS in Electrical Engineering. I had no education credits but did have a waiver letter from the TTC that was required for my yearly visa extension.

Maybe, I'm worrying unecessarily about having a BA! My Fellowship Cert, is level 6 on the NFQ & QCF, as is my CPE, i.e BA, but i can trump these with my Graduate Diploma in TESOL = QCF, LEVEL 7= MA. I actually got a distinction in the latter. ( incidentally it was a darn site easier than taking the old style Law Society exams)

I always thought the word "equivalent" meant the same as. However, perhaps it's got a different meaning in Thai.

I think I'll make another visit to The British Consul to complete a Declaration regarding the aforesaid Diploma and years of study, Perhap's that will do the trick!

Well, if you have a Graduate Diploma in TESOL from a UK university you certainly have a professional qualification to teach English to speakers of other languages. However, it's not clear whether this is a "degree". If you have obtained 120 credits of postgraduate courses, without writing a dissertation, you have a PGDip, which without any doubt is a postgraduate degree. However, for a Graduate Diploma often one takes a serious of undergraduate course (even as a postgraduate student), but in turn it might not give you an undergraduate degree as such. You usually need at least 360 credits of undergraduate courses for it to be an honours degree, or 300 for an ordinary degree, regardless of its type: e.g BA, BSc, LLB, BBA.

Again, with this professional qualification you are indeed well qualified and I guess actually above the minimum requirement. But technically speaking you might not actually meet the minimum requirement of having an undergraduate degree at bachelor level. Yes, the British Council would be a good starting point. Good luck.

Edited by Morakot

• 2 weeks later...