How To Get Rid Of Case Bearing Moth Larvae?

So I've had these weird little creatures appearing on my wall and ceiling as of late and I've been wondering what the hell they are... They kinda just hang there or sit on the wall but every now and then I see some weird little larvae thing come out and pull itself a long. After researching on the internet I have discovered that it is case bearing moth larvae.

case_bearing_moth_larva_ray_fla-300x217.jpg

They're not harmful but a real nuisance in the sense that its making my apartment look dirty and ugly. I've looked online and apparently vacumming the larvae will get rid of them but would the treatment of ARS spray be beneficial and protect my property from further infestation of these little things?

Or does anyone know a more effective way of getting rid and preventing them completely?

They are called Bag Worms. You need to eradicate them as soon as possible as they breed rapidly -as many as hundreds of offspring at a time. They are worms that are contained within the pouch or bag that they live in. They get everywhere if left untreated.

Individual ones can be flushed in the toilet. Technique I use is to wet the end of my finger and dab the worm which will then stick on my finger which I then flick into the toilet bowl. You could use a wet tissue I suppose.

For an infestation it's best to vacuum and then burn them. I avoid all chemicals if possible. If they are visible on your walls and ceilings it's highly likely they will already be in drawers, between books, under furniture etc... in fact everywhere!!!

Good luck!

I have seen them in and around my house for about 12 years now, and could probably find about 20 if i actually looked. they are harmless and certainly not as explosive a population as you suggest. in another month or so they will be gone.

we sweep em away when we find them. hardly an infestation.

• Like 1

Yeah I have removed all of the ones I've found in sight... I've washed every item of clothing and cleaned all my cupboards and drawers out and given them a wipe down...

Hopefully they'll go away!

Not sure about bag worms... I think case bearing moths is more accurate seeing as I found some moths in my wardrobe. They haven't destroyed any of my clothes yet thankfully.

• 8 years later...
  • 11 months later...

When we moved into this place there were a few on the walls & ceilings, we just sprayed each one with a little taste of  Chaindrite spray,  now they no longer exist in this house, as is pointed out they are pretty harmless but more unsightly than anything, not seen one in this place for ages now.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

they could be INDIAN MEAL MOTHS,on ceilings,walls,they will produce a crawling maggot,that will invade your food cupboards and any flour grain,dog food kept in containers.i have spayed bayticol around skirtings but still they appear now and then.at night they are attracted by lights.so anything that contains food KEEP covered.