Will Thailand's South Follow The Example

dog412

will thailand's muslim south follow other muslim examples of violent expressionism, in revenge against a cartoon?

Most muslims in Thailand are pretty low key and tolerant. As for the dimwits carrying out their so-called insugency, they'll probably attack another unarmed school teacher. Brave "warriors" as they are. :o

cv

pretty low key and tolerent mean what? how many death's before it become's intolerent. this outside interference, which no one want's to admit is, and was, the major factor in southern violence,is abhorrent.not only to the the thais, but to all civilzed societies.

You have to look beyond what you see in the news headlines. I see no big demonstrations of support for these so-called insurgents. If anything I've seen alot more criticism from local Thai muslims against the attacks than I see in similar situations in other countries.

To think that all, or even a large number of the general muslim population in Thailand is involved is to overstate the problem enormously. If you take the muslim population of Thailand (approx six million) and compare it to the actual number of killings related to the southern unrest, the percentages are pretty small. Keep in mind also that in situations like these, alot of personal scores are settled under cover of the ongoing violence. Anyone who lived in Belfast during the 70s and 80s can tell you that.

Guerrilla movements almost always will use fear to quiet local dissent, which is why you see them attacking villagers and school teachers. It's also easier for an untrained coward to attack a defenseless civilian than trained military or police personel :o

As for outside interferrence, the Thai military has to start taking serious steps to control it's southern border, but its difficult to say if they have the will or the resources to do it.

cv