3-year Visa Extensions

Dustoff

~

I have been here for five years on an OA visa and have heard that 3-yr extensions are available but that they have only been available in BKK. Is this still true?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages to going that route over simple 1-yr extensions?

Thanks

~

I have been here for five years on an OA visa and have heard that 3-yr extensions are available but that they have only been available in BKK. Is this still true?

And what are the advantages/disadvantages to going that route over simple 1-yr extensions?

Thanks

My information is about 8-months old. After getting my permanent position at the university (contract document showing greater then 3-years) I asked immigration if I could get a 3-year extension and they said no. Will have to go back in May for my 1-year extension again and will ask them again.

The advantage is simply not having to visit immigration for three years (except for 90-day reporting) but still have to pay 1900 x 3 baht for it. Also the piece of mind knowing you have 3-years guaranteed to stay (probably the best advantage).

For tyways, the situation is not the same. You cannot get three years because your work permit doesn't run 3 years. They can't extend your stay beyond what your work permit specifies.

On a retirement visa, this may be different. I suggest a trip to the immigration office at a quiet time and discuss things. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

They can't extend your stay beyond what your work permit specifies.

Last I knew, your WP dates are based on your extension dates, not the other way around. Has that changed?

WP dates are based on extension dates, and can be more than 1 year.

~

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I thought that the OA was different from a work visa.

I am on my original non-immigrant O visa and have been getting 1-yr extensions for retirement reasons using my age and monthy income for almost five years now. No hassle getting the year extensions (in and out within 30 minutes), just one less thing for me to remember and two less trips to a government office.

The rumor was that upon a retiree's third extension, they can get 3 years at a time but BKK was the only one doing that a couple of years ago. Not worth the expense/time to go all the way to BKK when the price is the same and spending a day or two to save an hour makes no sense.

I think Chanchao's advice is the best and I will just go talk with them on a 'slow' day if there is such a thing. I just thought perhaps someone on here had the answer..

da Dustoff

This kinda sounds more like the '5 year-extension if here 3 years' rumor floating far and wide some time ago, specifically addressed by BKK Immigration to all the media about a year ago...

Just wishfull thinking, I feel. :o

On a recent visit to one of the Thai honary consuls in Australia, I asked about the proposed three and five year Non immigranr "B" visas. I was told that they would be available mid year, and that costs would be pro rata on the original visa.