Bus Services To Ngwe Saung And Chaungtha To/from Yangon - Trip Report

SeaVisionBurma

With the beach resort towns of Ngwe Saung and Chaungtha being in reach of Yangon, I thought a separate trip report thread might be useful to cover the bus options in getting there and back.

I tried two different bus companies each way - Asia Dragon, and Shwe Pyi Lwinn. Both offer services between Yangon-Ngwe Saung and Yangon-Chaungtha.

Brief overview: Chaungtha beach is a more popular destination for local Myanmar holiday makers, and as such has a greater number of buses operating to/from Yangon. Ngwe Saung is quieter, and seems geared to upmarket locals and foreigners - with the number of buses operating to/from Yangon being less than Chaungtha.

Most buses are ex Japanese or Korean

Yangon to Ngwe Saung - ASIA DRAGON

We departed Yangon on a Friday night. Tickets were 15,000 kyats each (around $18) for a reserved seat on a modern aircon bus. The bus departs from the Asia Dragon office on Pansodan Street, but we were picked up at Dagon Centre II (second stop) on the corner of Pyay Road and Bargayar Street in Myaynigone. You just wait on the sidewalk directly outside the shopping centre.

Departure time was 21:00 (9:00pm) and the bus was around 10 minutes late, however we boarded quickly and left by 21:15.

A bottled water is provided in each seat pocket.

Entertainment on route is typical of Myanmar buses - generally a music show DVD is playing on departure (usually local mega bands Iron Cross or Lazy Club). Throughout the night, other Myanmar TV dramas or comedy shows are played.

There were two stops en route - one at around 11pm, and the other near Pathein at around 1:30am

We arrived early to Ngwe Saung, and were dropped at out hotel/resort front entrance around 3:30am - 30 minutes before the 04:00 scheduled arrival time.

Pros/cons - Asia Dragon is a more expensive service, but the night bus was more comfortable. The maximum number of passengers matches the number of seats - unlike Shwe Pyi Linn (return trip) which had 45 seats but over 60 passengers.

Ngwe Saung to Yangon - SHWE PYI LINN

We departed on the 06:30 bus from Ngwe Saung, which is scheduled to arrive at Hlaing Tharyar bus terminal at 13:00.

Cost was 9,000 kyats per person (around $11) for a reserved seat. Aircon Japanese bus, around 15 years old but in okay condition.

Departure point is in the main village street in Ngwe Saung at the ticket office. Not clearly signposted, but the motorbike taxi drivers who took us from the resort to the bus stop knew where to go.

We left the resort at 06:00, and were at the bus stop before 10 past.

No luggage compartments were available under the bus, so we had to put our bags in the small overhead racks - which wasn't a drama as we were travelling light.

We left on time at 06:30.

This bus has 45 seats (10 rows of 2 each side, and 5 across the rear) - but there are also 6-8 seats which fold down in the centre aisle.

We stopped numerous times in the first 2 hours between Ngwe Saung and Pathein to pick up and drop off passengers, and for most of the trip there were people standing or sitting towards the front of the bus, so it was quite packed.

First rest stop was outside Pathein for 20 minutes, at shop selling snacks and tacky handicrafts.

Second stop was for lunch about 2 hours before we arrived at Hlaing Tharyar station for a 30 minute lunch break (not included, we had a decent meal which cost 5,000 kyats/$7 for 2 including soft drinks, rice, soups and several dishes)

We arrived on time at Hlaing Tharyar at 13:00 (1pm). This bus station is not in Yangon, but about 30-40 minutes taxi ride from downtown Yangon. It cost us 8,000 kyats ($10) to get an aircon taxi from there to our hotel downtown)

Pros/cons. Cheaper, and a daytime departure which is good if you want to see the scenery. However the bus was packed and stopped numerous times en route, and got quite warm on board.

Some photos of the Shwe Pyi Linn bus (Ngwe Saung to Yangon trip)

ShwePyiLinn_bus1.jpg

Our bus.

Shwe%20Pyi%20Linn%20bus%20packed.jpg

It got more crowded than this!

Meal%20stop.jpg

Second stop for lunch.

Trip report for the beach destinations to follow...

SVB

Did you come across these signs?

Ha! biggrin.png

No, didn't come across those unfortunately....Where did you see them?

I believe they were taken at the same place as your last photo. I know there are a couple of options for the bus drivers to stop at, but those photos were taken at what I believe is the most popular stop (between Yangon and Pathein). Your photo looks almost identical to my own. The photos were taken at the entrance to the toilets (which was off to the left side and around the back).

Hi SVB, do you forsee any villa opportunity there ?

Where? Ngwe Saung or Chaungtha?

And, sorry - but what does 'villa opportunity' mean?

If I can guess what you're asking correctly - then no. At least not in the next 10-20 years.

Land prices, from my understanding - are ridiculously high.

A single private villa development is out of the question - far too many factors against it.

cheers

SVB

• 7 months later...

Interesting report, and i even got the answer to one of my questions about land there.

Who are the owners of the land there ? Cronies and/or government only ?

It varies - mostly privately owned, and yes some of these are owned by cronies. Depends where you are talking about really - in the main resort areas along the beaches?