Coffee Lover

little_muppet

anyone know any nice and peace coffee shop in town? I like drinking coffee as much as vodka or alcohol hhahaha but sometimes when i get stress i just want to take a bus from here to town to find some where to sit for long with nice coffee and good atmosphere is a must. any suggestion? :o

There is at least 20 shops in town that have good coffee, expresso, capuchino, etc. Can't list them all, just open your eyes. :D

I am sure Mumbojumbo includes at least one of the following:

The superclean big internetshop opposite the First Church (at the main crossing in the middle of town where the Paholyothin Road turns a 90 degree corner down to the Night Bazaar, buss station, Old Dutch, Aye's, Da Vinci, Funny House, the Lebanese and Bo's -did I miss something?). They offer a fast internet by satellite, airline tickets, UPS service, very good bread, wine and so on.

And all kinds of coffee as well. And, important, the chairs you sit in when you drink your coffee: Perfect! Nice, cool and open. Khun Taai and Khun Tawan speak perfectly English.

Then we have the street of 'carnal desires' as the Chiang Rai people call it: The Yedyod Road!

At the backside of the Wangcome Hotel next to the undisputed absolutely best kao soy kai (spelling?) noodle soup shop in town (kweetiau sin la pin). It is called Gare Garon, very artistic, a lot of art and a very serene atmosphere.

And then of course, Mumbojumbo's other 18! :D

Limbo :o

If Thai people can't make coffee I can't for sure! I allways thought they did very well and I won't change my mind.

The Tannalai Road is the central east-west road which begins at Pratu Chiangmai (the old road to Chiangmai) and passes a lot of shops where you can buy glasses, gold, newspapers, several banks and the Governors House, the Court and the old prison, the Hill tribe Museum, the Damrong School, the Tobacco Department and ends at the little piece of old city-wall (erected in 1958, but supposed to be hundreds of years old) close to Hiyek (Por Khun, King Mengrai).

Next to the old teakwood Pawattana Hotel at Tannalai Road, with the shop of Doi Chang coffee (!!!) and the bicycle shop of Khun At, you find the Military Bank and next to this bank there is a little coffee shop.

They serve the local coffee, filtering it through a kind of sock. A pot of tea comes with it.

It is a little old style place, little artistic, little alternative. Probably 10 Baht now.

Also on the market close to the Post Office you find a coffee stall like this (8 Baht).

I don't know much about it, but I like it very much. It is 'special' in a kind of way. This coffee must have been the oldest kind of coffee ever drunk in Chiang Rai.

Opposite this little shop is the big old wooden store which was, as far as I know, the first and only shop selling Nescafe.

When I was new in town about 18 Years ago all the expats (I guess about 20 in Chiang Rai) went there.

The 'Chinese Supermarket' close to the central market and the Post Office was the first shop selling coffee beans. And they had a machine to grind them.

Limbo you have forgotten what good coffee tastes like. Nescafe, thats not coffee!!!!!!

There are a few places there I haven't tried, and I will, which I thank you very much.

I had this same conversation with a French guy in Chiang Mai; he had a coffee shop back home and had similar opinion.

All I did was express an opinion, same as everyone else. Like everyone else we all got one.

But I can remember a good short black, latte.

I hope you can put your feathers back together.

Kind regards :o

Thanks Unknown, I give it a try.

The only point I make is that it is very hard to make really good coffee with the Saeco' everyone seems to have. I got one in Australia and a very old cylinder type machine. The older machine makes better coffee.

I have got to admit that the coffee here in Chiangrai is good compared to some other parts of Thailand. I am not knocking Thais by the way, it is just that coffee is relatively new here. This I understand.

The Black Canyon made ok coffee in Big C; but last time I was there I watched a big rat being murdered, who had run for cover from the kitchen and hid under ny chair. For some reason I can't force myself to go back in. I suppose I will get over this in time.

Again thank you unknown.

Kind regards :D:D:o

........... Have u been to" La petit cafe' " its a berkery and coffee shop in San-klong noi area (not sure maybe that call san-klong yai) very good atmosphere but quite expensive for chiang rai ppl.

Yes, that's a good one, at the Sankong Luang.

The Sankong Noi is the inner road, from Den Haa to the Regional Hospital with a lot of restaurants among which music pub/restaurant and kantoke Sa Banga, opposite of the absolutely best barber shop in town (the man is absolutely an artist and won several contests), Steak 29 etc. etc.

The Sankong Luang parallels it a couple of hundred meters further from the center.

The little coffee shop is close to Soi 6 (to the Kumchaonang Restaurant where the band is playing on a raft in the adjacent lake) and the big open hall where a lot of ladies and one-and-a-halve katoey dance aerobics every evening at 5 o'clock.

Chris is right! I shouldn't comment on coffee, so I limit myself to the design of the furniture and the rest of the place: Very pleasant! Also the music, classic or jazz, is nice.

Little bit yuppy or dinky style. This concerning the public.

If Thai people can't make coffee I can't for sure! I allways thought they did very well and I won't change my mind.

The Tannalai Road is the central east-west road which begins at Pratu Chiangmai (the old road to Chiangmai) and passes a lot of shops where you can buy glasses, gold, newspapers, several banks and the Governors House, the Court and the old prison, the Hill tribe Museum, the Damrong School, the Tobacco Department and ends at the little piece of old city-wall (erected in 1958, but supposed to be hundreds of years old) close to Hiyek (Por Khun, King Mengrai).

Next to the old teakwood Pawattana Hotel at Tannalai Road, with the shop of Doi Chang coffee (!!!) and the bicycle shop of Khun At, you find the Military Bank and next to this bank there is a little coffee shop.

They serve the local coffee, filtering it through a kind of sock. A pot of tea comes with it.

It is a little old style place, little artistic, little alternative. Probably 10 Baht now.

Also on the market close to the Post Office you find a coffee stall like this (8 Baht).

I don't know much about it, but I like it very much. It is 'special' in a kind of way. This coffee must have been the oldest kind of coffee ever drunk in Chiang Rai.

Opposite this little shop is the big old wooden store which was, as far as I know, the first and only shop selling Nescafe.

When I was new in town about 18 Years ago all the expats (I guess about 20 in Chiang Rai) went there.

The 'Chinese Supermarket' close to the central market and the Post Office was the first shop selling coffee beans. And they had a machine to grind them.

I agree with Limbo that there is good coffee available in many places in Chiang Rai. You’re covering up the taste of good coffee with a latte or cappuccino. But, Limbo ….. NESCAFE???!!!

:D Mymechew

• 2 weeks later...
goin to find a nice coffee shop in town to sit and read tomrrow....no NESCAFE' plzzz this band got sour coffee :D

doi chang ,Bon cafe' ,or any fresh coffee will do...just no NESCAFE' plzzz!

Nescafe is not the only instant-coffee. There is also a Thai brand, called Khao ..... (something).

(of 90 % Thai coffee beans and 10 % mocca).

It is much better than Nescafe.

A great taste! Better than Suzuki and Douwe Egberts Moccona, I swear!

front half... chapter1-14, now im goin to coffee shop again at the university to read another half chapter 15-18... hehe.. wanna join?

Too far away from Chiang Rai :D . . can't read Thai :o . . but I could look at the pictures :D:D

Imagedude :D

front half... chapter1-14, now im goin to coffee shop again at the university to read another half chapter 15-18... hehe.. wanna join?

Too far away from Chiang Rai :D . . can't read Thai :o . . but I could look at the pictures :D:D

sorry Imagedude. I dont read thai (i mean all my text book are in english...) hehehe

When I'm out at Chiang Rai, I always like to have cup of nice coffee at MAh FAh LUang palace, where I can enjoys the surrounding scenery. But not during public holiday, where the crowds always make you stay away.

I have been to Mae Fah Luang a few times now, and it is beautiful and has a calming effect on me. Check out my website for some nice pics that I have taken during my visits there. Oh, and the coffee was ok also. :D

sorry Imagedude. I dont read thai (i mean all my text book are in english...) hehehe

WOT ! . . . . no pictures . . :D

Hoooley!!! finally my translating paper is done!!!!!! .... feeling better!! im thinking about reward myself with take me to town again!!! hahaha this time need to find another nice and quiet coffee shop to sit and read NANCY DREW :D ( im i not too old to read it?no?). or should i go swim? ...

:o