Russian Tourist Stabbed Five Times During Attempted Bag Snatch In Jomtien

Rimmer

I don't know why you think its extreme ?.

Well obviously you wouldn't consider it extreme if you're one of these paranoid types, would you?

I go out with a wallet containing very little cash and no important credit cards, keys, cheap watch and cheap cell phone. I don't drink so I'm always alert. That's it.

I have no sympathy for idiots who get drunk and walk (or stumble along) the streets at night.

My kinda guy! Recommend dumping the wallet and carrying only the cash/keys/access card/ATM card. Also, dump the watch - get your time from the phone.

ATM cards: Have two accounts - a high-security account with the bulk of your money and a lower security account which you carry the ATM card for. Use the high-security account ATM card only occasionally to transfer relatively small amounts of money to the low-security account. Carry and use the low-security account ATM card routinely.

Edited by MaxYakov

I don't know why you think its extreme ?.

Well obviously you wouldn't consider it extreme if you're one of these paranoid types, would you?

I go out with a wallet containing very little cash and no important credit cards, keys, cheap watch and cheap cell phone. I don't drink so I'm always alert. That's it.

I have no sympathy for idiots who get drunk and walk (or stumble along) the streets at night.

My kinda guy! Recommend dumping the wallet and carrying only the cash/keys/access card/ATM card. Also, dump the watch - get your time from the phone.

ATM cards: Have two accounts - a high-security account with the bulk of your money and a lower security account which you carry the ATM card for. Use the high-security account ATM card only occasionally to transfer relatively small amounts of money to the low-security account. Carry and use the low-security account ATM card routinely.

I won't be dumping the wallet. My ATM card carries little cash. The watch stays too - large numbers able to be read without reading glasses unlike my reading my cell phone time which requires me to put on my glasses (You'd be surprised how difficult it is to find watches with large digital numbers). This one cost me 500 baht about 5 years ago and I haven't seen a suitable replacement yet.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

When my wife took all her jewlery off and dressed plainly ahen dropping me off at the airport I asked why and she stated that she wasn;t taking any chances with the Taxi drivers, and said she would wait till later that morning (sun up) to leave.

Either I was naive about how bad it was years ago, or just seeing a worsening in the crime rate? And we need to fear Taxi drivers?

This isn't the first one and from everything I know about the purse snatching it is organized by the beach venders. The ones that rent our chairs. I 'm confident the police are very aware of this. This is replacing the jet ski scam. I had the pleasure of sitting at the police department for weeks day in and day out as the corrupt police chief there wouldn't speak to me about my situation. While there, I watched as Russian women mostly came in to file complaints about their purses being snatched. The officers didn't really seemed to care and to along time to take the report and even while they were taking them..." In most of the farrang cases they allowed others to interrupt almost as if it were staged......after seeing this many times I came to the conclusion that the venders are behind the attacks. They see you open your wallets, the Russians think because they rent a chair that the vender is their friend so they trust them to leave their purse on the chairs and tables...not a good ideas since this is wear a lot of them disappear. You don't usually hear about them because they are non violent. I am sure this attack is meant to send a message to us. Don't fight back. It would be very easy to to make those potential purse thieves think twice about stealing a bag...but the Russians themselves need to set up a sting to catch those little Bat Turds. Then just beat them with in an inch of their f'n lives

This is now bordering on ridiculous, we've gone from fanny bags containing knife, tea tree oil, bandages and god knows what else, to the beach vendors being behind these organized attacks! I wonder if the beach vendors had staked out / followed the poor woman who was attacked, all day from when she was at the beach until 3am the next day waiting for the ideal opportunity to strike!!

• Like 1

I now await the flames and screams from the equal rights and feminist brigades.

Nice post in general, but you spoiled it with all these "equal rights", "feminist brigade" etc type comments. What is the point of all that?

Being female does make you more of a target but what has that to do with equal rights? As you stated, males and females are both at risk of being mugged.

The point was that is that there are several people out there who will argue to the nth degree about how us women should be allowed to walk wherever we want whenever we want however often we want, and flame down anyone who dares to disagree with their point of view.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) that nobody has bitten on this. Maybe it's because when put into context - not just taking a random quote from the middle, I'm speaking the truth when I say that no woman should be walking the streets of an unknown town at 3am, and it would be impossible to argue with that these days, especially somewhere like TV. Maybe in some Dream Time Utopia, but that's nowhere I've visited since I was a small child, and then I was too young to know if it would have been dangerous to walk the streets of our small mining village in the middle of the night - I know we certainly didn't lock the doors, nor did any of our neighbours. Males can be mugged just as easily, but women are more likely to be accosted for rape rather than/instead of robbery, so making it common sense that they don't do it. In the eyes of a lot of people, that's sexist talk, therefore unequal. However true it may be.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country... didn't everyone learn that in college? It's not a problem unique to Thailand, why does everyone try to make it seem like it is.

Why restrict your advice to women ( that is indeed being old fashioned ). Any non criminal walking alone at 3am where no other people are is at risk. We live in a sad world indeed.

Rotor breeze's 'extreme measures' (bordering on paranoia?):

1) Fanny pack waist ... wear it under a shirt ... modified mine with a 4"stainless steel fish leader attachment to wallet so won't leave my person.

2) Tea Tree oil, bandages, mini-diode pocket light

3) Emergency note if injured along with photo copy passport

4) Sewn in a leather pocket folding knife

5) Fanny pack front pocket for cell phone

6) Have taken the time to contact cement the thin fabric

with pig-skin leather giving it a custom look and improving the wear-out limit.

7) Taken off anything of value around my neck..

8) I do suggest tourist should be aware of crime by postings in Russian/German/French/ and English on all the mini-buses traveling around Pattaya, the sponsors can advertise a day course in self defense in Mua Thai..an example FairTex sports club which I belong.

Real 'extreme measures':

1) Fanny pack containing a Glock 26 (full clip installed, round not in chamber for safety). Spare clip is optional.

2) Triage medical kit, including a tourniquet and compact body bag labeled with instructions for contacting relatives and shipping one's body home.

3) 6 inch (minmium) combat knife in a calf sheath.

4) Mace in either left or right front pocket (depending on preference to spraying hand)

5) Original passport (not copy) as ultimate proof of one's legality in Thailand.

6) As much bling as your body can carry. Rolex is required (real or fake, optional).

7) A total lack of situational awareness (being drunk is optional, but may help).

8) A complete ignorance of Thai scams, mugging/theft MOs, etc.

Let's see ... I probably omitted something ... Oh, yes. Planes depart regularly for international destinations. I would not recommend London or Chicago and a couple of hundred other destinations (if not more).

I prefer to carry an RPG slung over my shoulder............you know, for those little moments when the dastardly pair of robbers have made it 300 meters down the road on their souped up Honda Wave.....joyfully waving the cheap fake gold watch that was mine 20 seconds before...........legs spread out in the V for victory signal......

Kabooooooom!

:)

Edited by Phatcharanan

Nice post in general, but you spoiled it with all these "equal rights", "feminist brigade" etc type comments. What is the point of all that?

Being female does make you more of a target but what has that to do with equal rights? As you stated, males and females are both at risk of being mugged.

The point was that is that there are several people out there who will argue to the nth degree about how us women should be allowed to walk wherever we want whenever we want however often we want, and flame down anyone who dares to disagree with their point of view.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) that nobody has bitten on this. Maybe it's because when put into context - not just taking a random quote from the middle, I'm speaking the truth when I say that no woman should be walking the streets of an unknown town at 3am, and it would be impossible to argue with that these days, especially somewhere like TV. Maybe in some Dream Time Utopia, but that's nowhere I've visited since I was a small child, and then I was too young to know if it would have been dangerous to walk the streets of our small mining village in the middle of the night - I know we certainly didn't lock the doors, nor did any of our neighbours. Males can be mugged just as easily, but women are more likely to be accosted for rape rather than/instead of robbery, so making it common sense that they don't do it. In the eyes of a lot of people, that's sexist talk, therefore unequal. However true it may be.

Women SHOULD be allowed to walk wherever they want whenever they want however often they want, as SHOULD men. However, if they ( either sex ) do that, they don't really have the right to complain if it all goes wrong. We don't live in utopia and there is no substitute for common sense. Unfortunately, common sense seems to be left behind at the airport by many people as they enter LOS.

• Like 2

Women SHOULD be allowed to walk wherever they want whenever they want however often they want, as SHOULD men. However, if they ( either sex ) do that, they don't really have the right to complain if it all goes wrong. We don't live in utopia and there is no substitute for common sense. Unfortunately, common sense seems to be left behind at the airport by many people as they enter LOS.

Nonsense, same stuff happens where they come from, even more so. Most folk from the west want to live their life and not hide behind something in fear. If it happens then it happens. If LOS has a BIG problem then it is up to the wests governments to warn in a big way.

This is a strange comment because women are allowed to walk anywhere they want at anytime. There's no law against it.

3 teenagers arrested following recent Pattaya robbery and knife attack on Russian

russia-41.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Three teenagers have been arrested in connection with the recent theft and knife attack on a female Russian Tourist close to Jomtien Beach.

The original incident occurred in the early hours of 22nd October and resulted in multiple laceration injuries sustained by Miss Jenniya Nikolona aged 25, who is still recovering from the injuries and her right arm remains in a sling. In a joint operation involving Pattaya’s Tourist Police and Pattaya Police, all three teenagers were arrested in various locations around Pattaya and in Chachensaow Province.

The head of the gang was identified as a 16 year old orphan who has a number of previous convictions to his name. The other two, aged 17 and 18 also have previous convictions. A reconstruction of the events took place on Friday Night under the watchful eye of Police Major General Katcha, the Chonburi Provincial Police Commander. The victim agreed to participate and the two suspects who were involved in the robbery and attack were present.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/64597/3-teenagers-arrested-pattaya-robbery-knife-attack-russian/

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2012-10-27

well there is no point in locking them up for a few months as it is obvious as in many recent reported crimes it makes no difference - they just get right back at it as before, and it will get worse - PT the party of the people lol

as I keep saying on this forum - until you have an effective police force in this country - add to that a government that is stuffing their pockets at a rate never seen before even in LOS - anyone with half a brain can see this is going to end up the biggest robery in history

every time I read news about this government my minds eye/imagination goes to a scene of 200 people in red shirts inside the largest bank vault called Thailand filling their pockets from the shelves as fast as they can before anyone realises what they are doing - that is what is going on here and unfortunately the people that see it are powerless to do anything, it's a product of a country were people can be bought for 500baht and other stuff without realising they are being shafted

Pattaya police arrest knife trio in record time

Pattaya: The youths who attacked and robbed a Russian tourist a week ago have been apprehended by Pattaya police

When a 25 year old Russian visitor, Jenniya Nikolona, was attacked in a Jontien tourist area, Police promised to use every resource available to catch the criminals who had stolen her bag and attacked her with a knife in the early hours, as she walked alone back to her accommodation.

Using recordings from CCTV cameras and the experience of local officers who know the area and its residents, the police quickly established the identity of the culprits. By not releasing that information into the public domain, the authorities kept the villains unaware of their impending arrest and all three were arrested in various locations in Pattaya and in a neighbouring province.

Aged just 16, 17 and 18 the three were brought in front of their victim having already confessed to their crimes.

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-10-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The Trio are only 16 -17 & 18 years old and already hardened criminals and will most likely spend their whole life in and out of prison, it's really sad.

Lets hope they don't end up murdering someone if they continue their current careers.

Good job by the police. I think when you get caught for the same offence 2nd time they double the sentence time.

This is a strange comment because women are allowed to walk anywhere they want at anytime. There's no law against it.

Not at all. I was referring to another post.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country... didn't everyone learn that in college? It's not a problem unique to Thailand, why does everyone try to make it seem like it is.

The problem is, everyone sells Thailand as heaven on earth where the Thais are full of smiles and will invite you into their home for dinner. That may be true for some areas, but not in the tourist zones, and especially not in Pattaya. What the brochures never tell them is the truth, that it is the same as the rest of the world, and in the case of Pattaya, they are walking targets everywhere they go.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 10/22/2012 at 4:15 PM, Rionoir said:

Furthermore, don't carry a giant purse with you..

And if you do, or have a camera, do not carry it roadside.

Edited by KKr
Should check last post' date before posting
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2012 at 8:59 AM, Rionoir said:

Old fashioned or sexist? Or both? For many people the night's entertainment does not start till midnight. But to be honest these kinds of crimes are pretty rare here compared to Europe.