Russian Tourist Stabbed Five Times During Attempted Bag Snatch In Jomtien

Rimmer

walking home alone at 3 am in pattaya wearing gold necklaces, better look like sharky

You are right! tongue.png -SHARKY- (Tim Ward) from Pattaya

And he even knows how to use a knive himself.wink.png

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2012/03/13/angry-kiwi-beefcake-stabs-canadian-english-teacher-in-pattaya/

72daeb469629696c635f9bbaa20e1459.jpg

Edited by ALFREDO

Pretty tough Russian woman. I give her credit for resisting. I would guess this is not so different than in Russia and she was prepared. There has been quite a Russian take over of Pattaya. Maybe they can battle the local crime there.

Sorry, cannot agree - do not resist - she was lucky not to have been killed, accidentally or deliberately

Don't be sorry, you can disagree.

I am saying by elaborating further, she is a pretty tough Russian woman and I believe she reacted instinctively rather than thinking about it. Most women would react the way you are suggesting.

My Thai wife was recently a victim of a motor bike bag snatch in Malaysia and it happens in seconds. I had always said if this happens don't fight back & she didn't. Nobody in the street came to our aid. The Malaysian police said it's an increasing problem in the past few years and that tourists have been injured. Here in Pattaya there are obviously bag snatch incidents, as we know also Thai on Thai. Difference is that the Thai's in the street will assist and a few have been chased, caught and beaten by Thai's (at least in the Soi Nernplubwan area).

My wife will not wear gold jewelery in Pattaya, that is visible, in the street or whilst driving her motor bike; day or night.

Apparently, since these are identified as 'bag snatches', carrying a bag would not be recommended either. Additional items of opportunity, such as jewelry are also at risk - brought on by the presence of a bag. The women need a 'stealth' bag that would not attract these hooligans. Ideas anyone? Perhaps carrying an empty bag (or one full of junk) as sucker's bait ... with a .40 cal Glock as an ... err ... backup mechanism?

The victim was at risk and took on even more risk by fighting back. I guess one shouldn't muck around with a woman's gold. I hope she recovers from her injuries.

Call me old fashioned but I don't think any female should be walking home alone at 3am in any country... didn't everyone learn that in college? It's not a problem unique to Thailand, why does everyone try to make it seem like it is.

You're old fashioned. If women are not safe to walk the streets in the wee small hours, then there's a problem with the streets, NOT with the women. What do suggest - some sort of half-assed curfew ?

Perhaps that mighty force of 400 that were proactive for all of 1 hr the other day need to spread out a bit. I wouldn't mind seeing a few BIB's walking the streets at night (instead of sitting at some of the bars in groups of 3-4, smoking, having a drink and watching the footie).

You think other places are safe then? Have a look at the amount of assaults in the "wee small hours" in UK, US or Aussie cities. The UK has the highest proportion of CCTV camera coverage but still people get assaulted, robbed, beaten and stabbed. This isn't a problem for Thailand - try spending time in the Philipinnes or Africa and go out for a few walks if you want to do some research.

That might end up being some painful research!

What do suggest - some sort of half-assed curfew ?

I don't think I implied that at all. How about not walking alone at 3am? Be aware of your surroundings. If a motorbike is approaching you while you're walking, face them, let them know you see them coming, back away from the street... follow a well-populated path... follow a path that has an escape route... I mean these are all common sense things that one should do in any country in any city while walking alone at 3am, aren't they?

Furthermore, don't carry a giant purse with you... carry a clutch, and keep your cellphone and a few bucks in your pocket in case your purse is stolen.

There's like a million ways to avoid being the target of a crime, and minimize the potential damage done if a crime does happen to occur.

Or the Police could do their jobs and patrol the streets. Michelle Smith was walking with a friend in phuket late evening and was still murdered for her handbag, so the time of day or night, or the amount of people you are with has no bearing on it.

Your suggestion of, dont bring handbag, dont bring jewelry is great help. Why not just say dont bring yourself. Everybody stay at home because its safer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

so why you can running around in Singapore like you want???...there will NEVER be an assault like this....

We need MORE comercials like this...it tops AMAZING THAILAND by far.... Hang these scumbags on the next tree....they damaging Thailands reputation of a safe country for travellers...ohhh I forgot...its l o n g gone sad.png

A simple key word search 'Snatch Theft Singapore' in Google will show you that it does happen in Singapore, and when I lived there for 12 years, it was also frequent. Singapore ain't as squeaky clean as you say.

As an aside, my maid in Bangkok was talking in her phone in the Makkasan area on Friday morning at 7:30am when two hoodies on a motorcycle snatched her phone and thumped her a couple of times - she's 54. She said they were clearly out of their heads and referred to them as 'yaba monkeys'.

I'm an old frequent travelling lady and already more than 30years ago it was dangerous even in my homecountry germany to carry a handbag at night, I feel sorry for the victim and want to appeal to anyone - please learn your lesson whereever you are in this uncertain world.

Unfortunately people on holiday let their guard down.

Don't walk around late at night. Don't wear jewelry, carry valuables and only carry enough cash for your evening out.

It's a pity but no one teaches you these facts of life. You either learn them hard way or your lucky enough to read about them in the paper, which prompts you to change your habits.

I wish her a speedy recovery and hope others read the news and take heed! thumbsup.gif

walking home alone at 3 am in pattaya wearing gold necklaces, better look like sharky

You are right! tongue.png -SHARKY- (Tim Ward) from Pattaya

72daeb469629696c635f9bbaa20e1459.jpg

Sorry off topic.....

Anybody catch the Stickman interview with Sharky? Check it out. This man is dead on about Thailand. I'm a big fan now.

Here's the interview anyway: http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2012/Pattaya-shark-man.htm

Don't get me wrong. I don't blame the victim. But someone should warn tourists not to wear bling especially late at night.

so why you can running around in Singapore like you want???...there will NEVER be an assault like this....

We need MORE comercials like this...it tops AMAZING THAILAND by far.... Hang these scumbags on the next tree....they damaging Thailands reputation of a safe country for travellers...ohhh I forgot...its l o n g gone sad.png

A simple key word search 'Snatch Theft Singapore' in Google will show you that it does happen in Singapore, and when I lived there for 12 years, it was also frequent. Singapore ain't as squeaky clean as you say.

As an aside, my maid in Bangkok was talking in her phone in the Makkasan area on Friday morning at 7:30am when two hoodies on a motorcycle snatched her phone and thumped her a couple of times - she's 54. She said they were clearly out of their heads and referred to them as 'yaba monkeys'.

So glad there are some other people here who know what's really up in Singapore!

1 make police stop all young Thais riding motorcycles carrying knives and arrest them on the spot.

2 stop blaming the victims and warn people that LOS means Land of Scum.

3 make the lazy and corrupt Baht buses...meter taxis and BIB get out and do their dam_n jobs.

4 catch the thieves and publicly punish them in cages at the Central Festival.

make it a well known fact.

??? How many of these punk kids are the children of the BIB ...METER TAXI...BAHT BUS DRIVERS???

And the circle goes around and around!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

"She had sustained wounds to her arms and was able to communicate with Police despite her limited English Language skills."

Of course all tourist police cops are fluent in English.----- w00t.gif

I advise you to read one of the latest news stories claiming that ALL in the Thai tourist police force will speak perfect English within a few months from now. That was the best joke of the month of course...

Similar to the flood prevention using tablets under speed boats? Or the rain making procedure, throwing phosphor at some innocent cows? ( Some of them obviously on two legs, see the Misses of this country!) Ying's luck.

Or the high speed train that will connect Bangkok and Beijing soon, doing 380 km/h, while people sing karaoke and making barbecue.

When you meet the fabulous tourist cops, you will understand that they are special, better said unique.

They learn things within a short time, that Thai English teachers will never learn in their lifetime.

I'd suggest to hire some Russians to be volunteers, give them a Hummer and some automatic Riffles. ---w00t.gif

1 make police stop all young Thais riding motorcycles carrying knives and arrest them on the spot.

2 stop blaming the victims and warn people that LOS means Land of Scum.

3 make the lazy and corrupt Baht buses...meter taxis and BIB get out and do their dam_n jobs.

4 catch the thieves and publicly punish them in cages at the Central Festival.

make it a well known fact.

??? How many of these punk kids are the children of the BIB ...METER TAXI...BAHT BUS DRIVERS???

And the circle goes around and around!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Today's post from the Middle Ages w00t.gif

As for point 2, if you really do feel that, then why are you posting in a Thai-orientated forum ? blink.png

I totally agree.

There is no way that anyone, man, woman or beast would ever risk walking around in London or some other parts of Britain during the late hours wearing jewellery and carrying bags of valuables and I guess it`s even more risky in Russia.

I am not blaming the victim, but common sense should prevail, even in Thailand, the land of smiles.

Luckily this woman did not die from her injuries and should serve as a warning to others.

Police should use some decoys (males dressed as females) to try to catch some of those criminals. Yes, I know, theres tons of such decoys in Thailand already.

A few years ago I was on a rented scooter with a female friend and her 3 year old child. She placed her designer shopping bag in the front basket. Two guys on a motorbike came alongside and one took the bag. We couldn't chase as there was a child aboard.

An idea I had was to sew in barbed wire in the (handbag)bag strap and secure it to the basket. Someone grabbing would get unpleasantly connected.

Edited by atyclb

.....WELCOME TO THAILAND........ !!!!!!

it's getting better and better........AMAZING THAILAND.......

I agree,,, it's getting worse... I have an apartment in Jomtien (near the end of Beach Rd) and chose this because of the more quiet location (compared to Pattaya). Fact is there is less traffic but because of that those mototbike hoodlums are using that because of less police and more less people. Reading this... ah well, it is a fact that a lot of foreigners are displaying their 'wealth' too obvious and that of course makes them an easy to spot. As you'll know it's like a Russian invasion out there, which started (and increased) 5 - 10 years ago. They should KNOW it's silly to wear jewelry and chances are the woman (at 3 am walking alone ?) was drunk, so maybe (!) not walking straight which is an even more easy target.

LOS became... Land Of Snatchers ?

Edited by oldies1

More off topic posts removed, the topic is not about Sharky or Girls in a Bar, it is about a young Russian women who got stabbed and robbed whilst walking home.

• Like 1

I think it is wrong to talk only about what the tourist should not do when discussing prevention of crime. The people should talk more about what the police are going to do in order to combat this crime. The tourist, everywhere in the world, should feel free to walk around at any time of the day wearing gold without thinking of being attacked. It is just a minority of criminals who try to make lives of others miserable. We better concentrate on criminals and how to prevent them doing the crime.

• Like 1

My Thai wife was recently a victim of a motor bike bag snatch in Malaysia and it happens in seconds. I had always said if this happens don't fight back & she didn't. Nobody in the street came to our aid. The Malaysian police said it's an increasing problem in the past few years and that tourists have been injured. Here in Pattaya there are obviously bag snatch incidents, as we know also Thai on Thai. Difference is that the Thai's in the street will assist and a few have been chased, caught and beaten by Thai's (at least in the Soi Nernplubwan area).

My wife will not wear gold jewelery in Pattaya, that is visible, in the street or whilst driving her motor bike; day or night.

They were on the prowl for an easy victim and would have attacked her for her handbag with or without gold. The gold was just an added lure and I agree it is not a good idea to wear it or any other flashy looking jewellery or watches.

The police are to blame for not bothering to patrol high risk tourist areas intensively on foot. The local administration is also to blame for refusing to install a civilised transport system in a massive tourist trap.

I think it is wrong to talk only about what the tourist should not do when discussing prevention of crime. The people should talk more about what the police are going to do in order to combat this crime. The tourist, everywhere in the world, should feel free to walk around at any time of the day wearing gold without thinking of being attacked. It is just a minority of criminals who try to make lives of others miserable. We better concentrate on criminals and how to prevent them doing the crime.

Agreed. Pattaya is designed to attract tourists who want to party. If the police can't be bother to protect them, they notify tourists that they come at their own risk.