Best Thai Language School

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a Thai language school that will teach reading and writing. I'm looking for a long term intensive course that does not change teachers everyday, and also does not use the phonetic alphabet technique. Does anyone know of such a school in Bangkok?

Thanks,

Brett

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about the Thammasat courses? Their website isn't particularly helpful. How do they compare to Chula in terms of depth, quality etc.? I'm assuming from the available info here that the language courses are a part of the overall Thai Studies Program. Does anyone know if they offer them as stand alone courses, not part of a degree? Or when they run/for how long /how much they cost? That kind of stuff... Thanks.

mk

Anyone know anything about the Thammasat courses? Their website isn't particularly helpful. How do they compare to Chula in terms of depth, quality etc.? I'm assuming from the available info here that the language courses are a part of the overall Thai Studies Program. Does anyone know if they offer them as stand alone courses, not part of a degree? Or when they run/for how long /how much they cost? That kind of stuff... Thanks.

mk

Hopefully the cut & paste from the Word document will be somewhat legible...

Contact [email protected] for more info:

Basic Thai for Foreigners

Department of Thai, Faculty of Liberal Arts

Thammasat University

Course Description

Reading & Writing Courses

Reading & Writing Level I

Study of the Thai alphabets : consonants, vowels and tones; basic pronunciation and spelling ; composing short sentences.

Reading & Writing Level II

Study of the vocabulary, idioms, and basic structures from passages about Thai life, tourism, and Thai culture; compose simple passages.

Reading & Writing Level III

Study of the more complex vocabulary, idioms, and structures from passages about Thai life; traditions, culture, important places and national holidays, etc. Study and practice description, letters, and notes.

Listening & Speaking Courses

Listening & Speaking Level I

Study of basic Thai pronunciation, vocabulary, idioms, and sentence structure through conversations about daily life; greetings, shopping, public services and culture.

Listening & Speaking Level II

Study of more complex Thai usage;

Vocabulary, idioms, and sentence structures. Practice listening and speaking Thai through daily life experiences, business

Communications, nations, national holidays and important places relating to Thai culture, etc.

Listening & Speaking Level III

Study of more advanced Thai usage:

Vocabulary, idioms and sentences structure for more complex communication such as news, advertising, song, religions and beliefs and Thai literary works.

Venue

Faculty of Liberal Arts, Thammasat University Thaprachan, Bangkok 10200 Thailand

Information

and

Application

Faculty of Liberal Arts, Room 107

Tel : 0-2613-2608, 0-2613-2675

Fax: 0-2221-7623

International :

66-2613-2618, 66-2613-2675

Fax: 66-2221-7623

Email: [email protected]

Tuition Fee

36 hrs. / course / 5,500 Baht, to be paid on the first day of the course.

Time

5 Aug. – 12 Sep. 2008

3 Nov. – 12 Dec. 2008

5 Jan. – 14 Feb. 2009

23 Feb. – 3 April 2009

3 Aug. – 12 Sep. 2009

Course

Selection

¯ Listening & Speaking Courses

Tuesday & Thursday

2 p.m. – 5 p.m.

¯ Reading & Writing Courses

Wednesday & Friday

2 p.m. – 5 p.m.

(May be changed if necessary)

Remarks

* Each course requires a minimum of 7 students to open.

* Tuition fees cannot be refunded except in cases when the courses cannot open.

* The students for level 2 or 3 must pass the placement test

Thai Intensive Course

Department of Thai, Faculty of Liberal Arts

Thammasat University

Speak & Understand Thai within 4 weeks

An intensive course offered for developing listening and speaking skills; learning about Thai culture for proper communication in daily life.

Venue

Faculty of Liberal Arts, Thammasat University Thaprachan, Bangkok 10200 Thailand

Information

and

Application

Faculty of Liberal Arts, Room 107

Tel : 0-2613-2608, 0-2613-2675

Fax: 0-2221-7623

International :

66-2613-2618, 66-2613-2675

Fax: 66-2221-7623

Email: [email protected]

Tuition Fee

24 hrs. / course / 4,900 Baht, to be paid (cash) on the first day of the course.

Time

1 Nov. – 22 Nov. 2008

10 Jan. – 31 Jan. 2009

28 Feb. – 21 Mar. 2009

2 May – 23 May 2009

4 Jul. – 25 Jul. 2009

Duration

¯ Every Saturday

* 9 am – 12 pm

1 pm – 4 pm

Remarks

* Each course requires a minimum of 8 students to open.

* Tuition fees cannot be refunded except in cases when the courses cannot open.

* Classes will take place every Saturday. Each class will be of 6 hours duration.

Someone asked about TLA school,, They are still @ PhayaThai..

i do recommend TLA.. if you stay near BTS station..or Anutsawari,,

Phayatai Plaza Building, 20th Floor

Next to the Phaya Thai BTS Station.

Tel. 02-219-2874, 08-1906-2007

e-mail: tla_school @yahoo.com

many people recommended Piammitr school..

Yes, if you visit there website, there is nothing update and info..

you can send E-mail if you have any questions to [email protected] hotmail.com

it's a manager's E-mail,,

it locates Skhumvit Soi 13.. near NANA station..

There are lots of Asian people,, Mostly Korean missionaries, Japanese, Chinese,, a few farang..

For more info...

http://www.utl-school.com

http://www.blsthaischool.com

http://www.piammitrschool.com

http://www.tlaschool.com

http://www.prolanguage.co.th

i now want to study P.6.. @ Pro Langauge school????

anyone have studied P.6 there??

Edited by sbk
no emails in posts--sbk

Personally, I found using a school too restrictive on timing as I travel out of Thailand regularly .... but I've been using the Survival Thai course by Narisa Naropakorn. Can be done as correspondence via internet/skype if you are out of BKK.

A combination of correspondence and personal tuition fits in with my business travel. This has been working well for me so far.

email [email protected] yahoo.com 081 409 4296

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks AJC, I caught that Chula thread. I actually posted a link back to your post about Thammasat in there. Seriously considering the Thammasat course maybe starting at Level II - Chula's way too expensive and I don't have that kind of time on my hands - but would quite like to hear first from anyone that has experience of the course already...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently taking one-on-one thai lessons at Somchart Language School (http://www.somchart.com/), and is progressing well. I have found the teachers there friendly and flexible regarding schedules. For me face to face lessons works best as it gives me the most "talk time", and I have the opportunity to digress off-topic if something special is on my mind.

The school is located in Sukhumvit soi 11, 100 m from BTS Nana.

Can recommend the school.

• 3 weeks later...

The comments about the Intensive Thai Program at Chulalongkorn (aka Chula) are pretty accurate. Price and time aside, it is well worth the investment if you are taking a serious full-time approach to learning Thai. I studied in that program and it is a one-year committment to finish the whole thing, but you will graduate from it with more knowledge than most people with a 4-year degree on the subject. Walking out of there with your certificate in-hand, you should already be in the upper echelons of society in terms of your linguistic abilities. But again, they are impacted and do not let everybody finish the program. So you see a lot of people getting kicked out for not "making the grade" as the levels progress.

If anybody wants any tips, etc., about the program at Chula and so on, don't hesitate to ask.

I was planning on chiang mai university new 3 week conversational course, but can anyone recommend a similar course in/near Phuket town?

Also a more comprehensive school as well - also in /near Phuket town?

Ok, Chiang Mai alternatives as well.

So I'm asking about first hand experience, and not just if there's a course, but if you attended it and what you liked/didn't like about it.

I know it also depends on what instructor you get.

Thanks, and oh, I'm an english speaker from the US.