Best Thai Language School

The comments about the Intensive Thai Program at Chulalongkorn (aka Chula) are pretty accurate. Price and time aside, it is well worth the investment if you are taking a serious full-time approach to learning Thai. I studied in that program and it is a one-year committment to finish the whole thing, but you will graduate from it with more knowledge than most people with a 4-year degree on the subject. Walking out of there with your certificate in-hand, you should already be in the upper echelons of society in terms of your linguistic abilities. But again, they are impacted and do not let everybody finish the program. So you see a lot of people getting kicked out for not "making the grade" as the levels progress.

If anybody wants any tips, etc., about the program at Chula and so on, don't hesitate to ask.

I've very interested with the Intensive Thai Program at Chula ... must agree that it is extremely pricy! wondering if I will get the quality for what I will pay for? This is a very serious investment that I'm actually considering.

How many students are there per class? Do they only issue the certificate after you completed the Advanced Level 3 or each level?

How's the teaching environment there like? Picture on the website makes it looks really intense. I'm not prepared to be one of those that didn't make the grade! :o

Not too sure if I should study Thai full time with no job or get a job and do part time Thai studies in one of those Thai schools as recommended above. I'm utterly confused! Wondering if this Certificate from Chula would boost my job prospects?

I welcome all comments ....

Regards

confused Jamie :D

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jamie,

Chulalongkorn program is definetly a good program for the students who really wants intensive lessons ( study the whole day + homework at night).

Personally, I do not believe that we can learn a language in a short period because to remember the words, you'll need to use it and if you learn too many words everyday, you'll never get the chance to use them especially if you're stucked in a school the whole day but once more, it's only my opinion.

However if you're interested to learn Thai Language step by step and take your time to use the words, you're welcome to visit our school My Thai Language School on Ratchadaphisek Road. We give interactive and interesting lessons. For more information, you can click in our link on the top pf this page.

Kind Regards.

MTL Ae.

Hello Jamie,

Chulalongkorn program is definetly a good program for the students who really wants intensive lessons ( study the whole day + homework at night).

Personally, I do not believe that we can learn a language in a short period because to remember the words, you'll need to use it and if you learn too many words everyday, you'll never get the chance to use them especially if you're stucked in a school the whole day but once more, it's only my opinion.

However if you're interested to learn Thai Language step by step and take your time to use the words, you're welcome to visit our school My Thai Language School on Ratchadaphisek Road. We give interactive and interesting lessons. For more information, you can click in our link on the top pf this page.

Kind Regards.

MTL Ae.

That's what I thought about it too. It could be too much. There's pro and con. Well, anyway, your website is noted in my favourite list. =) will probably drop by when I'm in BKK.

Thanks people for all the information ....

The comments about the Intensive Thai Program at Chulalongkorn (aka Chula) are pretty accurate. Price and time aside, it is well worth the investment if you are taking a serious full-time approach to learning Thai. I studied in that program and it is a one-year committment to finish the whole thing, but you will graduate from it with more knowledge than most people with a 4-year degree on the subject. Walking out of there with your certificate in-hand, you should already be in the upper echelons of society in terms of your linguistic abilities. But again, they are impacted and do not let everybody finish the program. So you see a lot of people getting kicked out for not "making the grade" as the levels progress.

If anybody wants any tips, etc., about the program at Chula and so on, don't hesitate to ask.

I believe this post was referring to a post by someone who attended the 1 Year Intensive Thai Program at Chulalongkorn. I remember it well because it was very descriptive and gave a lot of information for anyone wishing to attend the course. Now I can't locate the post, I'd say it was posted 3 or 4 months ago. Can anyone else locate it?

Cheers.

Don't forget guys that you are always welcome to come for a free demonstration as well as you can observe an actual class at the Walen school in Bangkok or in Pattaya. Check your options before you make a decision.

Mac

Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Please register for priority service

www.dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

post-46756-1227693742_thumb.jpg

Edited by macwalen
I believe this post was referring to a post by someone who attended the 1 Year Intensive Thai Program at Chulalongkorn. I remember it well because it was very descriptive and gave a lot of information for anyone wishing to attend the course. Now I can't locate the post, I'd say it was posted 3 or 4 months ago. Can anyone else locate it?

Cheers.

Do you mean this post?

Cheers.

Do you mean this post?

Yep, that's the one. I thought it was in this "pinned", I didn't realise it had it's own thread.

Thanks.

I have been going to Baan Aksorn Language School for the last 6 weeks. I have been doing one-on-one, 4 hours per day (2 hours reading/writing, and 2 hours speaking), with 4 different teachers in rotation. The school is extremely good, teachers very professional and easy to get to from Prom Pong BTS. They have many types of programs depending on what you want to study, how you want to study and whether you want individual lessons or group.

After 6 weeks I was able to read my wedding speech in Thai (5 minutes long). I cannot write as well as I can read, but with the exception of the new Thai font I have no problems to read Thai language. I was able to memorize the alphabet and vowels after 1 1/2 weeks, so I've never had to use phonetics.

You can check out their website here: baanaksorn.com

Good luck!

Marc

• 1 month later...

Dear Easylife,

I represent a Thai Language school called My Thai Language School, we're not really closed to Saphan Thaksin BTS but we're only one minute walk from MRT station Thailand cultural centre.

We provide quality lesson at affordable price and we assist our students with non-immigrant ED visa.

If you're interested, please feel free to contact me.

Best regards.

MTL Ae.

Can anybody recommend a good professional Thai language school on the saphan taksin bts line(close proximity).

Thanks.

Walen School is on BTS line, you are welcome to come for a free demonstration of our method.

www.thaiwalen.com

Walen School of Thai

Please register for priority service

www.dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

Edited by macwalen

Hi Jamie, sorry for getting back to you so late on your question. There seems to be no notifcation system really working when people reply to the topic. But as you asked, the Chulalongkorn Intensive Thai program is well worth the time and investment. There is only one other school that equates to the quality of that program... and that is at the University of Hawaii. They actually send some of their student over to Chula sometimes to study for a year and get credit towards the end of their language degree.

The classes are typically around 6-12 people.... always changing. You go through 9 different levels which are 5 weeks each, 10am to 3pm Mon-Fri. You get a week off in between completing each level. It IS intensive and I do not recommend working if you want to make it all the way through. It is comparable to studying full-time at any other university. The staff is English fluent and the they rotate teachers daily among about 5 or 6 of them. Some of them are very good and speak more than just English and Thai, ie. Korean, Japanese, French, Indian... and one of them even has his PhD in Sansrkit. They teach you a full background of using the Thai language based on history, social class, government, professional communication, and of course a week or two teaching to dirty stuff... like teenager slang and what not.

Each course gets progressively harder, or at least they involve the student much more. In the first 2 levels it is pretty easy if you have a knack for language. By the 3rd level, or 11th week of studying... you will be able to write, pronounce, and understand how to spell Thai words correctly. The rest of the course expands on vocabulary by reading subject specific articles every day, giving presentations, class discussion, daily quizes, etc.

While it is expensive... around 20 or 25,000 baht each 5 week term.... it does impact you exposure in career options. I came here at 25 yrs old and started looking for full-time work and I was treated like every other foreign applicant (crappy jobs, low pay, etc.) So I went to Chula and did the program and within 2 months of leaving Chula I was picked up by an IT consulting/software firm, moved on to do private consulting, and am now doing HR consulting for a Thai-owned company which is absolutely splendid. Best job I ever had... even better than the US. I got a lot of recognition from employers for my ability to read, write, and speak Thai extremely well. I even did a lot of my papers at Chula on my computer so I learned to type.

Overall, I still highly recommend it. I honestly would not be where I am at today without the knowledge I gained from Chula. They realize how much time students spent studying in the Intensive Thai Program and make a great effort to incorporate societal, environment, and cultural updates into the lesson plans so that student can keep up with Thailand ongoings through their studies. That is about all I have in mind right now, but you (or anybody else for that matter) please feel free to reach me on my personal email... I would be happy to answer questions about the experience there.

• Like 1

I just completed 60 hrs thai language course @LC language school soi6/1 pattaya, I completed this over 3 trips 18 months @ a cost of 18000 baht ($ 600 at the time) have a certificate, my 1 on 1 teacher recommended a book called thai for beginners by benjawan becker, dont be fooled by the title, It is indepth, with 2 cd's & I'll buy 1 more to leave in my house in thailand, I listen to the cd's in the car,& can recommend this product.

regards songkhlasid.