Best Thai Language School

robitusson

Wallen = Walen

Why guessing, come for a free demonstration, you actually learn to read words not memorize them.

Regards, Walen School

Ps. Pretty teachers can also be good teachers, one does not exclude the other. Not all good teachers have to be older ladies.

While not getting distracted by your pretty teachers, I wonder if they (or your system) would be happy to help me prepare for the gov't exam? That's my motivation for going back to school.

(I notice you're having this battle on two fronts, so a reply here or on the thread 'Walen v Pro Language' is fine. Years ago I flirted with martial arts, and remember going to one popular school where the teacher always professed that his style of Kung <deleted> was unique and better than the rest. He was certainly impressive and had a lot of students, but the thing was none of them (unlike the students from the Karate and Taekwondo schools nearby) ever fought in a local competition. Was his style really that good? We only had his word for it...)

Edited by SoftWater

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a battle, just exchanging comments, as it often happens, those who did never even visit our school have the most to say about it. Regarding the government exams, we will not have any problems with helping you get ready for them, all you have to do it visit our school and enroll. We will make our best effort to assemble a group for you. You might be surprised that a lot of foreigners who want to be good at Thai do not necessary want to take any exams.

Did you take part in any fights? If you could beat them that would be a good indicator if your Kung <deleted> master prepared you well nor not. Have you tried street fighting? They do not give any prizes for them but pub fights are still popular. Recently even among premier league players :) .

So what is the point you are making? Are we a bad school because our students are not taking government exams? Hm......

Walen School - preparing for government exams!

www.thaiwalen.com

For priority service please register

www.dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

Edited by macwalen

Not a battle, just exchanging comments, as it often happens, those who did never even visit our school have the most to say about it. Regarding the government exams, we will not have any problems with helping you get ready for them, all you have to do it visit our school and enroll. We will make our best effort to assemble a group for you. You might be surprised that a lot of foreigners who want to be good at Thai do not necessary want to take any exams.

Did you take part in any fights? If you could beat them that would be a good indicator if your Kung <deleted> master prepared you well nor not. Have you tried street fighting? They do not give any prizes for them but pub fights are still popular. Recently even among premier league players :) .

So what is the point you are making? Are we a bad school because our students are not taking government exams? Hm......

Noooh...Mr Walen...I am saying that there is no independent evidence to support your claims...popularity of students tells only that people have a reason to go to your school (could be price, location, clever and persistent marketing, pretty teachers, who knows...), it does not say how long they stay or anything about their level of proficiency. The only independent evidence that could be checked by potential students is what kind of a record you have vis-a-vis the government proficiency test (well, 'checked' in principle, I don't know if it would be possible to be checked in practice).

Can we surmise from your previous post that none of your students have taken the proficiency test while under Walen's tutelage?

A simple yes/no answer would be excellent.

You might also consider that one of the reasons why people like me who've never been to your school feel inclined to comment about Walen is a direct reaction to your blatant and repeated attempts to market your school in discussion threads (to be fair, I also react to other schools that do this to, so don't take it personal). You do so by making various claims about being the best, the best value, and now even in prepping for the gov't exams...as you might recall, I politely tried to point out to you on a PM some time ago that the negativity generated in TV around your school is all your own doing. Keep out of the forums and stick to the advertising boards, and you'd find far less people jumping on your back.

(As an aside and totally off-topic, but just to answer your question - no, I never got involved in fights, but the two most senior students tried out their skills one time and received a pummelling. Shortly after they both quit the school and joined a different one.)

Edited by SoftWater

Dear Softwater, i will not continue this with you as whatever I say is going to be yet another reason to make a post intended at discrediting our school. Even simple things, like me trying to continue the topic of Kung <deleted> school you came up with and now you say that is off topic, so why on earth did you start it in the first place.

As I mentioned before there are a lot of negative fellows here and that is scaring off a lot of posters from posting as no matter what you write might be used against you. When will we get to some more constructive ways.

As I said, come and take one course at our school, get to know us, you will have more to say.

You say that negativity of people is caused by my posts? Hm.... there are many people who are actually very positive, those who tired our school, I am very confident of our program. In Chiang Mai we are offering one week free lessons. If you know how to teach Thai better open your own school, show us, offer free lessons and let people judge. You would not be happy if people were throwing dirt at you without reason, would you.

We are doing honest business and providing important and needed service. I am also happy to take part in constructive exchange of opinions and take criticism as it helps us to improve our service. I do not however have a need of arguing or replying to unkind remarks.

Peace be with you.

Walen School - Try first, judge later

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

mr macwalen,

I think by now most have noticed everyone is welcome or even encouraged to stop by your school for coffee, viewing the pretty staff & even sitting a 50min class all for free much like the MLM or time share folks 'sales method' :-)

I mean no offence by above it's all clever marketing & actually a good offer to get a glimpse of things before signing up preferably upfront for a year all monies paid!

Now what us who are yet to visit said school must wonder is of course what's the long term effect of walen method versus the competition or so called 'well established schools' with degree holder teachers maybe some even with linguestic degress buddha forbid!

In Chiang Mai we are offering a free week of lessons if someone does not decide to enroll, much longer than only 50 min which is 100% risk free. Like if you can take a car for a week for a drive rather than just a short drive with a salesman.

We try to be as nice as possible to our customers. It is a requirement of good service. Interesting you mentioned MLM, we do not have MLM system but we want to start our referral program so people can become partners with Walen. Will be launching it soon.

The long term effect of the Walen Method? Interesting way of putting it. More satisfying stay in Thailand, more friends, more confidence, improved memory, great memories to mention just some. :)

Regarding other school, together with our worthy competition we help to promote the knowledge of this beautiful language and amazing culture. We also helped them to make more money as a lot of them also now help students with ED visa although we are still undisputed leader in that field. Ultimately competition promotes better service so I think we have very positive influence on the whole market.

Just for the record, our teachers do have degrees so it is not like they are uneducated.

Walen School - Positive influence on the whole Thai language teaching market.

www.thaiwalen.com

ps. worldfun, thanks, good to hear some positive comments too!

Edited by macwalen

softwater, others:

forgot to write the experience at 'everyday thai' school @ sathorn.

it's located easy walking distance (cross sathorn, pass the tallest office tower, locate the small building next to 7/11 & walk up to 1st floor) from chong nonsi or easy drive in just up from narathivas soi 4, but parking is very limited in the small building & may have to pay after 1 hour (~50bt per day/session)?

they showed me their own study books which looked promising & their 8 page or so written test covering the first 90 hours module 1 (fonetics) seemed to cover more than I remember for the unity/union type 80 hour class I previously had & all kinds of useful 'everyday sentences' just like their curiculicum state on the web...

everything looks nice, but nothing fancy. smaller school at central/southern location with encouraging/helpful staff.

So would be happy if others visit/comment on this rather new, but promising school in the intensive thai language? :)

macwalen,

I think I can follow this whole 'thai language market' trend that seem to be rolling over the country at the moment (these years) & while one might at first think it's mainly made up of current/longterm Thai residents 'suddenly stuck' with 'visa/stay issues' & then 'nailing' both the visa issue & neglected language capabilities in 1 go or even abusing the system well its a significant market segment surely...

However on 2nd thoughts I can see that more visibility abroad e.g. created by more marketing, new style schools etc have opened up the market to a fresh influx of students say with a 'gap year' to kill or perhaps do a bit of business on the side say :D

On the offer of 1 free week of study in the newest branch in CM I must say thats something quite tempting especially if I would be able to pack in some 30 hours in that week for free :) That'd be like ~5000bt worth of walen hours if my math is not far off?

Moreover it'd be a perfect excuse for a short trip up there in the lovely & tranquil city - the ugly yearly haze period isn't now is it? :D

Cheers & expect to get in class this week!!

Dear Softwater, i will not continue this with you as whatever I say is going to be yet another reason to make a post intended at discrediting our school.

Nobody is trying to discredit your school - though I am trying to DISCOURAGE you from using members discussion threads as a marketing channel. If all the schools did what you do, the forum would become unusable. It's not an advertisers board.

Since you refuse to be discouraged, it is only fair that I and others like me ask you relevant and pertinent questions about your school. According to a poster on the 'Walen v ProLanguage' thread, when he took the gov't proficiency test, all the major and reputable schools were represented. There were not any students from Walen. Picking up on that point, I would like to know whether you have had any students take the exam and how they did. The reason I want to know that is its the only way to judge whether your school is likely to offer what I need, which is prep' for the gov't exam.

It's a simple question. Asking the question does not discredit your school; playing the victim instead of answering it, however, does.

Likewise, peace to you.

:)

ps. worldfun, thanks. Good to have a bit of irony round here, tho' clearly its lost on its intended recipient. Will check out the ChongNonsi school next week when we have term break here and I have a bit of spare time. Cheers :D

Edited by SoftWater

macwalen,

I think I can follow this whole 'thai language market' trend that seem to be rolling over the country at the moment (these years) & while one might at first think it's mainly made up of current/longterm Thai residents 'suddenly stuck' with 'visa/stay issues' & then 'nailing' both the visa issue & neglected language capabilities in 1 go or even abusing the system well its a significant market segment surely...

However on 2nd thoughts I can see that more visibility abroad e.g. created by more marketing, new style schools etc have opened up the market to a fresh influx of students say with a 'gap year' to kill or perhaps do a bit of business on the side say :D

On the offer of 1 free week of study in the newest branch in CM I must say thats something quite tempting especially if I would be able to pack in some 30 hours in that week for free :) That'd be like ~5000bt worth of walen hours if my math is not far off?

Moreover it'd be a perfect excuse for a short trip up there in the lovely & tranquil city - the ugly yearly haze period isn't now is it? :D

Cheers & expect to get in class this week!!

worldfun, bear in mind that Chaing Mai school just opened the door. I am happy to offer you 9 lessons free if you decide not to enroll. Mon, Wed, Fri. at 10-12.50, this class is available immediately.

On another note, our school is indeed attracting a lot of students who want to learn Thai thus contributing to the growth of the Thai language market and promoting Thai culture. Also learning with lovely teachers improves general learning experience. What we offer also is rotation of teachers that is not happening at any other school so in one course you will see 3-4 teachers rotating. Of course the follow the same course progress card so there is continuity.

Walen School - one week free!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

What we offer also is rotation of teachers that is not happening at any other school

Not true. AUA rotate their teachers frequently within a single course. Pasawet AAA Union school rotate their teachers from one course to the next - an ideal system that balances continuity with variety. Those are just two schools I know of from my own personal experience.

Softwater - checking the facts

Edited by SoftWater

Softwater, this is indeed true we offer free lessons. You could come to our school and take free lessons in book 3, if you can answer those questions on your own correctly I take my hat off to you, as a candidate for government exams you should not have a problem with that, also you can test yourself if we are so useless because our students are not taking government exams.

So are you coming? Or afraid that after getting to know us you might actually like us?

Walen School - Great experience!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

What we offer also is rotation of teachers that is not happening at any other school

Not true. AUA rotate their teachers frequently within a single course. Pasawet AAA Union school rotate their teachers from one course to the next - an ideal system that balances continuity with variety. Those are just two schools I know of from my own personal experience.

I did not mean that we change teachers, you perhaps mix the two things, changing and rotating, rotating means that you have the same teacher every 3-4 lessons, so this way 3-4 teachers are teaching the same class. If there are not enough classes at the same time total rotation is not possible however we are doing our best to have a different teacher every lesson. Also because we have precisely structured course teachers know exactly what was taught and what needs to be taught next. This system works like "Swiss" watch. I just invited you to our school for free lessons. Get to know us better, you will have more positive things to say.

Walen School - Friendliest Thai School!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

It would be nice if sponsors could have their own thread so they wouldn't have to pollute the forum. In that thread they could make advertisement, denigrate disappointed students and discredit each other in total freedom. Now they are "obliged" to do this between the normal threads.

Edited by kriswillems

I did not mean that we change teachers, you perhaps mix the two things, changing and rotating, rotating means that you have the same teacher every 3-4 lessons, so this way 3-4 teachers are teaching the same class. If there are not enough classes at the same time total rotation is not possible however we are doing our best to have a different teacher every lesson. Also because we have precisely structured course teachers know exactly what was taught and what needs to be taught next. This system works like "Swiss" watch. I just invited you to our school for free lessons. Get to know us better, you will have more positive things to say.

www.thaiwalen.com

I can't really make sense of what you're saying, but if I undestand you aright that is the same as what they do at AUA.

I take it that I am invited to go to any school that is open for business. My time is limited - I will visit the ones that are most likely to fill my needs, which is preparing for the gov't exam. Has your school got any experience in this? Can you actually give a straight yes/no answer rather than fudge together a marketing spin?

There are many questions that are raised by your participation in this forum, one of which is if you want to promote your school through the discssion threads as well as the banner adverts, why don't you ever answer any of thai language questions that come up here? If people saw your demonstrating your own proficiency and your willingness to help others that would be a far more impressive and respectable way to use the forum to yours and our mutual benefit. คนที่ฉลาดจะช่วยเหลือคนอื่นก่อนตัวเอง คิดเหมือนกันรึเปล่า mcawalen?

Chris, what is your problem today, why this unkind post? "Pollute" wow, that is a nasty word in the contexts of someone participating in the forum. You can join the thread, nobody is stopping you. I am a participant on the forum like you are. You are writing what you want in response to others posts and I do too.

Would that be so bad if you said something positive about Walen for a change? Other sponsors can participate but do not, maybe they are afraid guys like you and their critique. Maybe they think it is not worth their time, or whatever different reason. I am glad to participate and I believe Walen has contributed a lot to the whole topic of the Thai language on TV.

Also if you notice probably about a month I was not posting anything, I can check but that would be about right so it is not like I am flooding the forum but participate on a reasonable basis as I have been for over 2 years.

Walen School - reaching out to the public

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

www.thaiwalen.com

I can't really make sense of what you're saying, but if I undestand you aright that is the same as what they do at AUA.

I take it that I am invited to go to any school that is open for business. My time is limited - I will visit the ones that are most likely to fill my needs, which is preparing for the gov't exam. Has your school got any experience in this? Can you actually give a straight yes/no answer rather than fudge together a marketing spin?

There are many questions that are raised by your participation in this forum, one of which is if you want to promote your school through the discssion threads as well as the banner adverts, why don't you ever answer any of thai language questions that come up here? If people saw your demonstrating your own proficiency and your willingness to help others that would be a far more impressive and respectable way to use the forum to yours and our mutual benefit. คนที่ฉลาดจะช่วยเหลือคนอื่นก่อนตัวเอง คิดเหมือนกันรึเปล่า mcawalen?

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

เรายินดีที่จะสอนภาษาไทยในโรงเรียนของเราไม่ใช่สอนในฟอร์รัม เรายังยินดีที่จะตอบคำถามนักเรียนของเราเสมอ

ขอบคุณที่เข้าใจและขอบคุณที่ทดสอบภาษาไทยของผม

For those that can't read Thai, I asked Walen whether he agreed with the statement that smart people see the value in helping others before helping themselves. His reply is that Walen teaches Thai at school not on the forum.

ถ้างั้นก็ไม่ฉลาด แล้วจะมีเรื่องกับ forum regulars เสมอ

(My reply says that in that case he will always have a problem with the forum regulars)

Sorry to edit so late after posting, but i wanted to point out that the point of the Thai language forum is for people to help and teach each other Thai, not to advertise your school.

Edited by SoftWater

The point of the forum is indeed being a helpful environment to learn the Thai language, but without sponsors this forum would not exist.

Maintaining a huge forum with lots of traffic costs a great deal of money and in Thaivisa's model, this is financed by sponsorship.

Please refrain from hounding our sponsors. Thanks.

Sponsors do have the right to advertise their services in the forum, but there is also a limit to how pervasive this advertising can be before it gets on people's nerves.

So let's all - please - take a step back, to make sure the forum stays a supportive and pleasant place to visit.

The point of the forum is indeed being a helpful environment to learn the Thai language, but without sponsors this forum would not exist.

Maintaining a huge forum with lots of traffic costs a great deal of money and in Thaivisa's model, this is financed by sponsorship.

Please refrain from hounding our sponsors. Thanks.

Sponsors do have the right to advertise their services in the forum, but there is also a limit to how pervasive this advertising can be before it gets on people's nerves.

So let's all - please - try to take a step back, to make sure the forum stays a supportive and pleasant place to visit.

Thanks for bringing some clarity to the issue Meadish. I have re-read the forum rules several times over the previous few hours trying to establish if what has been going on in this thread is a 'contravention' of the rules or not.

I'm still none the wiser - what constitutes 'hounding' from me (and others) and what constitutes 'a limit' for walen? I'm not being facetious, some guidelines for both sponsors and users need to be established. Maybe its not something you can answer off the cuff, but it would be welcome to all, I'm sure, if we all knew what was acceptable on both sides.

A forum without users, after all, will not attract or keep many sponsors.

Thanks

Softwater

Edited by SoftWater

I'll be back with more clear replies. Thanks for letting this rest in the meanwhile. :)

Dear Super-Moderator. Respectfully, I have read this thread with interest, and I can readily understand the viewpoints of all posters on this thread.

As a suggestion, would it not be a peaceable solution if; Firstly, a sponser were to open their own thread and ply their marketed product on that thread? Secondly, to then submit their views on threads that are not started with the intention to have it turned into a long-winded marketing ad campaign (I say this respectfuly to Mr. Walen), and then; Thirdly, offer a short, one-time, summary statement about the solution that their marketed product provides, and then provide a link to the thread that they created to address this, and then; Fourthly; drop it?

It would be interesting to see how many members actually viewed, or even contributed to a thread that a sponser started. I submit that the thread would be viewed as nothing more than an advertisement in "thread" form and would get no more attention than any other ad in any other form.

I feel this thread has been disengenuous to posters, including discretionary sponsors, who wish to sort things out on their own; and to not have the OP turn into a "one man against the world" debacle. I think people get the point after a few times. Personally, I would have started my own thread touting my my wares, and then respectfully offered once for people to visit it by providing a link to it on other threads that I posted on; or perhaps even say it in my signature. It really isn't about one's right to promote or solicite, is it? It seems to be more about letting the kid know where the horn button is on the steering wheel and then letting the kid "honk" away, regardless of what the neighbors say.

Just my opinion.

The issue of quality Thai education, and being able to pass a language test for foreigners is a two edged sword. On the one hand you have customers who truly wish to learn the Thai language, take the test and pass it, and then be done with it. Yet this also means that to be done with a Thai language course is to also be done with an ED Student Visa. Then what? Back to a tourist visa?

Many people cannot afford a retirement visa, or even find the means to get a work permit. And the other visa options are just as difficult to get, if not harder. The tourist visa is becoming an annoying sore in the sides of people who used to be able to stay here for quite a long time on back-to-backs. Many people find Thailand to be a lovely place to stay, as well as to get a new start on life; or even linger and learn how to be a better person. Of course, there will always be the sordid types, yet we all know the drill when it comes to discussion about these issues.

At the end of the day, a private, non-government-funded language school must rely on customers in order to pay the bills. As these schools are operating on money out of the pockets of the individuals who founded them, I can tell you that it is a very competitive market. The truth of the matter is that there are very few individuals who seek such a pious endeavor to learn the Thai language to the point of shedding their student visa and moving on. Were this not the point, then student visas would not be offered for 5 or 10 years.

Furthermore, the market in getting Thai people to learn English for a reasonable sum is about as lucrative as selling ice-cubes to Eskimos. It is my opinion that Thailand is still not yet getting the message thatthey will be passed up by other ASEAN nations who are earnestly teaching English to their peoples. Thailand seems to think that it does not need the English language to get by in this global market and I believe that they will be in for a rather large surprise in the future. Learning Thai, on the other hand, is only as effective and as far-reaching as the borders of this fine country.

At the end of the day, the customer always comes first, and most markets I am aware of are customer-driven. There will always be good points and bad points about how a language school chooses to market its product, yet it is a risk that these business people must take in what they must feel is a need to keep their business running, and to - hopefully - pass on a bit of language and culture to those customers who chose to apply their powers to the lessons.

As to the matter or concern over whether or not a customer is using the visa to cheat on staying in Thailand much easier than the tourist visa, well then... I submit that I have not yet met any individual who has earned the right to point a finger at anyone but their own self when it comes to motive and intent. Besides, I have taught in Government schools and the psychology is a reverse picture; where the kids yearn for an education yet are denied by jaded teachers, head slaps, hair and ear pulling, bamboo-stick beatings, verbal degradation, and government grants that appear in the form of luggage racks on Lexus SUV's rather than good salaries for qualified teachers, and solid teaching methods that are proven effective.

At the end of the day, it is the customer that drives the market and not the program that "should" or "must" be jammed down their throat simply because it is interpreted as ethical or moral in the minds of a few.

Walen I would like to challenge you to your word and will give a full report back to the forum on your course provided.

I am a 48 year old Scot but half Italian. I speak 5 languages fluently and can read and speak a bit of Thai.

I challenge you to improve my Thai in 5 days, both written and spoken. Looking forward to your reply

Macanello

PS I am in Bangkok ( I live here)

Walen I would like to challenge you to your word and will give a full report back to the forum on your course provided.

I am a 48 year old Scot but half Italian. I speak 5 languages fluently and can read and speak a bit of Thai.

I challenge you to improve my Thai in 5 days, both written and spoken. Looking forward to your reply

Macanello

PS I am in Bangkok ( I live here)

I can take you up on the speaking part as well as on reading, writing takes more time unfortunately. When do you want to start? I offer you 6 lessons a day free as a special case, if after that time you want to enroll you will pay for those lessons, if not they are free. You can get to know teachers, staff, talk to students and get a good idea about the method after a week of classes.

Waiting for your response.

Walen School of Thai - One week free lessons!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

I am happy to offer you one week free, no problem. We will offer you regular schedules, you can decide if you want to come for 9 lessons or 15 lessons.

let me know.

Walen School - one week free lessons

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

• 2 weeks later...

Awhile back, I had posted some concerns on this forum that I had had about Walen School in Bangkok after attending some classes there (about a couple of its teachers). And, I had chosen to discontinue classes at the school in Bangkok. After moving to Pattaya, I had asked MacWalen if I could try his school in Pattaya and he kindly agreed for me to do so-- with enthusiasm.

Since I had posted a "negative" when/where there was a negative, I'd like to now post a "positive" where there is a positive. The teachers I have had in Pattaya are good, two of them I'd say are excellent. The physical facilities are also very nice (which is cetainly a plus for the learning experience). Bottom line, if you like the teaching method Walen uses, I'd definetly recommend the school in Pattaya with its current teachers.

Awhile back, I had posted some concerns on this forum that I had had about Walen School in Bangkok after attending some classes there (about a couple of its teachers). And, I had chosen to discontinue classes at the school in Bangkok. After moving to Pattaya, I had asked MacWalen if I could try his school in Pattaya and he kindly agreed for me to do so-- with enthusiasm.

Since I had posted a "negative" when/where there was a negative, I'd like to now post a "positive" where there is a positive. The teachers I have had in Pattaya are good, two of them I'd say are excellent. The physical facilities are also very nice (which is cetainly a plus for the learning experience). Bottom line, if you like the teaching method Walen uses, I'd definetly recommend the school in Pattaya with its current teachers.

Perhaps you would be so kind as to post a reply to my ? and post that is directly above yours. I am glad to hear that it worked out for you. Did you have a problem with the care given or something else? I am trying to decide where to go myself

Thanks