Best Thai Language School

Can anybody recommend a good professional Thai language school on the saphan taksin bts line(close proximity).

Thanks.

Walen School is on BTS line, you are welcome to come for a free demonstration of our method.

Mac

Walen School of Thai

Walen is in the Times Square building near the Asoke station on the Sukhumvit BTS Line. It is nowhere near the Saphan Taksin (Silom) BTS line as the OP asked.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of a Thai language school in or around Sikhio/Korat that would allow me to study for three weeks in school and study by internet for six weeks?

I'm working on a six week, three week work rotation spending all of my three weeks in a village outside Sikhio

Can anybody recommend a good professional Thai language school on the saphan taksin bts line(close proximity).

Thanks.

Walen School is on BTS line, you are welcome to come for a free demonstration of our method.

Mac

Walen School of Thai

No offense, Mac, but I have met people before who apparently studied Thai at Walen for several months and I wasn't impressed by any means. I realize that students differ on a case by case basis, but this guy was just.......... better keeping to English.

I am not sure what you are talking about. The same some are saying about the Callan Method. Those students have made better progress that they would have otherwise with other traditional methods. This is a fact! How many have you spoken with? Can you be a little more specific? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10? You mean you were talking to them in Thai and after that you concluded that their Thai sucks? Is that the case? It amazes me when people like you constantly are trying to attack our school. I guess I just have to get used to it.

Walen School - www.thaiwalen.com

Please register for priority service

www.dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

Edited by macwalen

Thanks.

Mac

Walen School of Thai

No offense, Mac, but I have met people before who apparently studied Thai at Walen for several months and I wasn't impressed by any means. I realize that students differ on a case by case basis, but this guy was just.......... better keeping to English.

I am not sure what you are talking about. The same some are saying about the Callan Method. Those students have made better progress that they would have otherwise with other traditional methods. This is a fact! How many have you spoken with? Can you be a little more specific? 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10? You mean you were talking to them in Thai and after that you concluded that their Thai sucks? Is that the case? It amazes me when people like you constantly are trying to attack our school. I guess I just have to get used to it.

Mac

Walen School, www.thaiwalen.com

I don't want to interfere with your discussion, but if you want to know the level of the students in a specific school you can ask for the number of students that could pass the old ป. 6 test or what the average score of the students was that joined the Thai level test at the end of November last year (2551). The results should come out soon. This test is organized by Thai government and NOT by language schools and thus objective. All other claims about methods and success rates are rather meaningless and very difficult to prove.

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking if anyone has used Walen as their school. Wht have been the results?

ya,anyone?i am comparing between mtl and walen.mtl give u materials for free and u can practice at home,as the books have thai words in english pronociation,and walen textbooks are thai wordings,if i want to pratice,i cant,i also will wish to pratice at home,the teaching method is different.

btw,with the student visa,can i apply for a mobile line here?

ps:not towards any schools.just my 1 cent worth of comments.cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

I think 180 or 200 hours of Thai education per year is much less than a normal student can handle. I think a normal student, that is not working, can handle 3 to 4 hours per day, that's 660 hours per year.

If you've got the money and time, I would go to Chula. If you've time only and not much money, I think there are many schools that can let you study at a higher speed (more than 200h/year) without being too expensive.

The magic number of 180 or 200 years per year is not so much based on a good educational schedule but it's based on the minimum number of hours you would need to study to get a visa. It's a way to keep price of possibility to stay in Thailand low. Almost all school that offer such schedules will use the possibility to get a visa in their advertisement.

In reality all legal schools offer visa services, so I don't think that's a point that can distinguish some school from another and using it in advertisement is strange.

The price per hour in schools that follow the 200h or 180h per year schedule is very often higher than the price per hour in schools that offer a full time (3h or 4h per day) education. Of course Chula is an exception.

Edited by kriswillems

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the Thai language forum, I thought that I'd add to this thread instead of opening a new one;

1. The nearest malls to where I live are The Mall Bangkapee and I can get to Central Bang Na, Seacon and Seri - could anyone reccomend a Thai language centre near or around these areas - Srinakarin?

2. I've found a Thai teacher willing to teach privately for 250baht per hour. What's a reasonable going rate? or is it a case of how long's a piece of string?

Hi everyone! This is my first post in the Thai language forum, I thought that I'd add to this thread instead of opening a new one;

1. The nearest malls to where I live are The Mall Bangkapee and I can get to Central Bang Na, Seacon and Seri - could anyone reccomend a Thai language centre near or around these areas - Srinakarin?

2. I've found a Thai teacher willing to teach privately for 250baht per hour. What's a reasonable going rate? or is it a case of how long's a piece of string?

You can always get down into lower Suk pretty easily from where you are.

250 an hour isn't crazy, but have they had any real experience (and success) teaching foreigners 1:1?

Take a look at UTL, they have an afternoon class and it isn't that hard to get in to using Khlong Saen Saep

HAS ANYONE ATTENDED A THAI LANGUAGE SCHOOL THAT PROMISES "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED" BUT WILL NOT REFUND THE COURSE FEES IF NOT SATISFIED? THAT IS THE SITUATION I AM HAVING NOW.

This is Southeast Asia, not the West. You're in a "buyer beware" culture.

"Refunds" are nearly unheard of. You hand money to somebody here, and you should do it knowing that you'll never see it again.

"Satisfaction guaranteed" isn't equivalent to "refund if not satisfied," by the way. At best, it means that if you complain, they'll try to adjust things so that you're happy.

HAS ANYONE ATTENDED A THAI LANGUAGE SCHOOL THAT PROMISES "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED" BUT WILL NOT REFUND THE COURSE FEES IF NOT SATISFIED? THAT IS THE SITUATION I AM HAVING NOW.

"Refunds" are nearly unheard of. You hand money to somebody here, and you should do it knowing that you'll never see it again.

"Satisfaction guaranteed" isn't equivalent to "refund if not satisfied," by the way. At best, it means that if you complain, they'll try to adjust things so that you're happy.

I WOULD EXPECT MORE FROM A WESTERN OWNED SCHOOL THAT IT IS, AND COMPLAINING TO THE SCHOOL HASNT EVEN GOTTEN ME A REPLY VIA PHONE OR EMAIL....

ARE THERE REALLY DIFFERENT STANDARDS HERE THAT I SHOULD EXPECT ?

I'M NOT ASKING FOR MY BEER TAB OR A BARFINE REFUNDED , THIS IS A SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF MONEY THIS SCHOOL HAS TAKEN AND NOT EVEN GIVEN ME ONE CLASS YET WITH NO CONTACT TO ME IN MONTHS! I WONDER HOW THEY JUSTIFY THIS???