Best Thai Language School

How does your school handle the problem of people only coming one day in 3. I feel too many people are just using this method to get a visa and their non attendance affects the studets who want to learn as the teacher has to go back to handle them. Personally I feel sometimes like making a quick phone call to immigration. I would not really do that but I am tempted,. I feel it is something the schools must handle.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are going over the work taught several times in each book, so even if someone missed some lessons we do not slow other student down. We are doing our best at our school to encourage students to attend but it happens at times that not everyone attends regularly.

If this bothers you, talk to the school you study at first and tell them that those students slow you down. Perhaps you can be moved to another class with a better attendance.

www.thaiwalen.com

For priority service please register

www.dcs.walenschool.com/1mw290910.eng

Edited by macwalen

^^^

By the way, are you the same "macwalen" who posted in this thread on 26-03-29, apparently attempting to pose as a neutral observer, that:

Walen sounds like a perfect choice if you want to learn Thai fast

:):D :D

Edited by RickBradford

Dear Rick, yes the same, but why do you assume that I was 'attempting to pose' as a neutral observer? If you have read the whole thread you would have noticed that I have commented several times and I mentioned Walen each time. I believe that Walen is a good school and therefore I recommend it.

Walen School - True Character

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Dear macwalen,

I have read the whole thread. I have no problem with your attempts to defend your school as best you can, as long as you do it openly, acknowledging your vested interest.

But when somebody writes: "Walen sounds like a perfect choice if you want to learn Thai fast", it comes across as someone trying to pass off this comment as coming from an informed and, especially, an impartial observer.

What next? Are you going to sneak in a post saying "Gee, ya gotta study at Walen. I hear it's really cool!!!!"

Do you see the difference?

Edited by RickBradford
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to attend a 1 year Thai language school in Pattaya, any feedback for those who have attended in Pattaya will be very much appreciated. From the website, I find that the teachers at Pro Language are very highly qualified, there are also free trials for Prolanguage and Walen, but Walen teachers' qualifications are not stated in their web page. When I first saw their advertisement, I taught it was a match making company because it mentioned about friendship, lifestyle etc., and also after reading about the negative experience at the Bangkok branch, but nervertheles, I am with a open mind, but I think very importantly is that the teachers should never treat the students like high school kids, as most of us are adults and some are highly respected professionals in their fields, and also the students are paying handsomely for the lessons, so approach them in a more relax and respected way should be the way how a private school is run.

As for Mr Macwalen, if you are reading this. First, you said that you were not in the class, then you said you knew all your teachers, and lastly, you treated this as an attack to your school's reputation and are defending it with all your life.

Well, to say the least, you will never know a person's true character, even a serial killer can be as humble as calm as you thought what a real gentleman should be. Secondly,from what many people have read, it does not sound like an attack, he even complimented 2 of your teachers. So, instead of feeling offended, you should first, apologize, and then look into the situation and have a meeting with all the teachers and straighten it right away, and everything will be solved, your school's teaching will be improved, and you will be much respected. Instead of saying that being attacked or accused at. Why aren't other schools being talked about but yours. Why not look at it as a more positive way and accept criticism and improve upon it, don't you think this is what service is all about?

Lets put it to rest, here are the facts again. I have spoken with that student on the day it happened and immediately apologized and promised to look into it. As you see this forum is not exactly full of people who complain about Walen. It is a good thing to listen to both parties before making any final conclusions and that it what I did, hope you agree that it is a reasonable thing to do. I listened to the student and after that talked to the teachers.

As for apologies, once again, they were given in person with the offer of extra lessons to replace the ones that were not to the student's satisfaction.

Regarding the criticism, I am of the same opinion. I accept it and improve upon it but lets not paint a distorted picture of our school. Things are doing very well and an overwhelming percentage of our students are happy with both the teachers and the way I run the school.

You have nothing to lose, we offer free lessons. It is risk free as you do not have to pay if you do not like the method or the teachers, I would like to encourage you to go to other schools as well and sit on free lessons before making a final decision and also talk to their students. If you are in Pattaya you will be happy to know that the teachers there are fantastic, never had a single complaint.

"Why aren't other schools being talked about but yours." This is a very good question. Here are some possibilities. There could be several reasons. Some people like us very much. Some people do not like us so much. Some people do not like us at all. Some people do not like the fact that a foreigner is running a Thai school perhaps. Some people are fascinated by it. Some people are finding our method unique as it truly is and the list can go on and on. Also I am one of the very few owners of a Thai school who actively participates in the TV forums and it promotes exchange of opinions like for example "As for Mr macwalen, if you are reading this....."

Thanks for your suggestions. If you come to study at the Walen school you will not be disappointed.

Respectfully Walen School

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone will ever read this, but I wanted to write my experiences of learning Thai at a Thai language school, my first and only, to give any other readers an idea of what's on offer. It might help someone.

My Experiences of UTL near Asoke

UTL teaches Thai to foreigners through six modules, each lasting 4-6 weeks, starting in the middle of each month. I completed module 1 during May-June of this year and, as my first experience of learning Thai formally during my three years of living in Bangkok, it's safe to say I was a satisfied customer.

I consulted this forum before deciding on a school and UTL was suggested by other posters.

The set course run four hours per day, five days per week during the morning or afternoon OR two hours in the evenings for the same price. The prices starts at 7000baht each IF there are five students and rises if there are fewer students HOWEVER if there are fewer students, you pay more AND get less time (because there are less students.....?).

The first two of the six modules focus only on speaking and listening - there is no reading or writing actual Thai, it's all transliteration.

Things I liked:

1) My teacher was friendly, spoke good English and was experienced in teaching foriegners as she could answer all my questions.

2) The school was clean and staff were helpful and friendly.

3) The course was clear and simple to follow

3) I learned more Thai in four weeks than I did in three years.

Things I didn't like

1) I paid over the odds because of small class numbers and then got less time than originally stated (can't argue with results though).

2) There was no formal test or certificate of completion - you only get one after module 6

3) We were taught to speak very formally, which produced some odd reactions from Thais I practised speaking Thai with outside class.

4) the system of transliteration is actually quite hard to get used to, it doesn't quite match the thai sounds.

Overall

I'm glad I signed up and I plan to enrol on the next module in due course. With no basis for comparison, I can't say if UTL is the 'Best Thai Language School' obviously, but if anyone who wants to learn Thai is reading this, my advice would be just generally, don't delay!

Edited by aussiebebe
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an example of lesson 1 of the Walen Method, if you are interested please listen to it. We have now the whole book 1 finished, took a lot of time but CDs will be available soon at our school, we will sell it as a set together with our books. A lot of students mentioned that it would be very helpful to have recordings of our lessons. Let us know if you like it or if you don't. Done by two speakers, female and male. The method works very well even without recordings so with the recordings it will work even better.

Walen School - Making Thai Easy

www.thaiwalen.com

_Walen___3610___3607___3648___3619___3637___3618___3609___3607___3637___3656__1.mp3

Edited by macwalen
My Experiences of UTL near Asoke

I am also looking for a suitable school. I have read through most of this forum as part of my research into Thai language schools and taken on board aussiebebe's comments about UTL . My wish list for a school -

1. the lowest level course is for the absolute beginner.

2. there is not too much pressure from teachers (a previous example was given by a forum member).

3. I like the transliteration used by Benjawan Poomsan Becker.

4. Sukhumvit area/ BTS.

Schools that I am going to visit when I am in Bangkok in a couple of weeks are Piammitr Language School, AAA Thai Language Center, and Unity Thai Language School. Any comments welcome on these or other schools against my wishlist.

Is there any impact on language schools programs for the rest of the year due to Swine Flu closures? Thanks.

I see 14 downloads of our lesson 1 so far, that is not too bad as for one day. Any opinions? All are appreciated.

Walen School of Thai - Repetitio Est Mater Studiorum (Latin for 'repetition is a mother of learning')

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen
I see 14 downloads of our lesson 1 so far, that is not too bad as for one day. Any opinions? All are appreciated.

MacW,

One observation, the listener has no idea what the teacher would be holding up/pointing to etc. Maybe before the question you could insert what the teacher is doing, etc.

Eg.

In English : "Teacher holds up a pen"

In Thai: "What's this?" PAUSE "It's a pen."

In English : "Teacher points to the window"

In Thai: "Is this the floor?" PAUSE "No, it's a window."

etc...

Then the student will have to work out what answer they are supposed to be giving. That would mirror what the lessons should be like in class.

Thanks for the feedback Scottish Thailander! The Walen book actually has exactly what you say, prompts for pen etc. While recoding however we decided not to record them so the rhythm is not lost. Also most of those things are quite easy to guess.

On a side note, the school in Chiang Mai is nearly finished! No expense has been spared so hopefully it will be a pleasant place to study.

Walen School - Perfection Comes Through Practice

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen