Tourist Slashed And Stabbed 5 Times In Unprovoked Attack

aonangmrhuw

With high season approaching ,In Ao Nang.I fear that another tourist death is imminent.Gangs of teenage kids,armed with knifes and machete's roam the roads like something out of a hollywood horror movie. Where are the police ?where are the lights,I know this is a long term problem in Ao Nang as its been my home for 6 years.I would like to inform you ,about my encounter last night.Around 10.50 pm,While sitting in a quiet bar in the Nopparattara national park,next to the pier.A man and his girlfriend approached me asking me to help them.At first i just thought they wanted directions or something,when i saw them in the light.Then i realised they needed life saving help,with the man's head pumping blood like a fountain..i shouted to a friend to call the rescue service,the wound to the head was around 4 inches in length and scull exposed .On further inspection to his body ,i found deep stab wounds to arms, legs ,chest.His right shoulder had a huge laceration exposing the bone.more wounds to his chest area with his nipple cut in two. ,after we had stopped most of the blood flow the rescue guys came,Thank God.In all my life ,i have never witnessed any like this,and i've been around somewhat....While we were trying to stop the blood and reassuring the man.I had chance to talk to his girlfriend,about what had led upto the attack.They were walking from Ao nang beach, to the nopparattara pier to catch a speedboat back to their resort.at 11.30 pm.After a nice meal they thought better to walk,as they had plenty of time.Just 1 min before the pier, they were approached by 4 boys and 3 girls ,all around 16/17 years on foot .No exchange of words were said,then the boys started to lob bricks and stones ,hitting them many times,suddenly the boys ran towards them, pushing the girl to the ground.On this, the man tried to help his girlfriend up.while he was down they repeatedly struck him with a machete and stabbed him. <deleted> is wrong with this place!!! I accompanied the girl to the Krabi hospital where i witnessed the same old story .you pay or no treatment.The resort where they were staying kindly brought his and hers passports,money and the life saving Insurance..doc..Ive been in contact since and they are both doing fine.with the uk embassy helping them as well.After reading their facebook page and seeing how excited they were.only 3 days to go 2 days to go then tomorrow off to paradise...Well some Paradise its turned out to be.!!!!....I hope the cctv will help catch these little cowardly thugs,and chop their balls off,but hey TIT who knows.....A very upset/shocked and pissed off Mr Huw.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't think any of them places stayed open late by the Pier ,there is only s couple of restaurants there,I take it they were staying at centara then.

Yes true,no restaurants open that time.but many of the Thai mini marts are still open ,with many tour guides drinking till after midnight.Last night i counted over 20 people most of them friends of mine.I cant understand why we didnt see anybody.Maybe because its part of the norm watching the kids drive past on their modify bikes.Just hope they catch them soon.4 months ago they were all hanging out near Ao nang school.looks like its nopparatts turn again for violence..

So this was a random attack intended to cause grievious bodily harm if not death and not an attempt to rob the tourists or a vandetta?

The girl offered them her bag ,after they pushed her to the ground,They did not take it.Looks to me like they wanted to show off ,to their girl friends...Show power against a 110kg farang. Drug fueled who knows......He had not been drinking.He just kept saying why me ...why me..what did i ever do to them....I forgot to say he was only 21 and his 1st visit to the land of smiles. Edited by aonangmrhuw

Very random attack, you certainly have to be careful

To what extent afterwards were the police involved?

I would say around 10 police men,at the Nopparattara pier.5 at the hospital,plus plain clothed at both places.Last night i witnessed many young boys getting searched,body and bike on both Ao nang beach road and Nopparattara beach road.A few minutes ago, i observed the electric company checking all broken lights in the Nopparattara beach road,which is a start.lets just hope they turn them on at night.My home is close to Ao nang school ,so i expect my lights, will be turned off.!!..If you get my drift.....Located at the crime area ,there are 2 new cctv cameras only installed 6 months ago. Whether they were working at the time i do not know.I know the one at the front beach, near the tsunami tower is.Lets hope they can catch them before anybody else gets injured or killed.Random maybe but not seldom.
  • Like 1

Very random attack, you certainly have to be careful

To what extent afterwards were the police involved?

I would say around 10 police men,at the Nopparattara pier.5 at the hospital,plus plain clothed at both places.Last night i witnessed many young boys getting searched,body and bike on both Ao nang beach road and Nopparattara beach road.A few minutes ago, i observed the electric company checking all broken lights in the Nopparattara beach road,which is a start.lets just hope they turn them on at night.My home is close to Ao nang school ,so i expect my lights, will be turned off.!!..If you get my drift.....Located at the crime area ,there are 2 new cctv cameras only installed 6 months ago. Whether they were working at the time i do not know.I know the one at the front beach, near the tsunami tower is.Lets hope they can catch them before anybody else gets injured or killed.Random maybe but not seldom.

Good to hear there is some response from the Police to the attack. There needs to be swift and genuine responses to such callous attacks like the one you have reported here.

Once there is a general feeling in any area that tourists can be attacked at whim and without consequence it is dangerous for any foreigner.

There is a lot of crime going on in Krabi town as well, I tend to translate for the police at times and it seems that I get more and more calls from them and the crimes are more and more violent.sad.png

The issue is that in Krabi town there seems to be no police around late at night, well except for a few hanging out at the police stationmad.gif . When I ask police why there are not more patrols at night, the answer I get is : No have police enough !! Then they proceed to tell me that it is better not to be out at night ! Hmm, ok for me as an expat but they cannot expect tourists to go to their hotel at 8 pm and watch tv rolleyes.gif .

• Like 1

Sorry to read this story, and obviously pleased that they have caught some of the low life responsible. I am however astounded to read comments such as Aonang and Krabi are lawless I really did not know that there is a problem down there.

I was and still considering spending sometime there only a 2/3 months, what are there areas that I should not be renting/staying in?

The place is indeed not so safe, mainly because there is no police on the streets late at night. About 2 weeks ago 2 young tourists got robbed at gun point at the bus station. The female got injured as well. Lots of these crimes go unreported, I know they happen since I get called in to translate quite often.

Sad to say, but as I mentioned before the police here is too busy with all kinds of other stuff instead of doing what they supposed to do.

• Like 1

So this was a random attack intended to cause grievious bodily harm if not death and not an attempt to rob the tourists or a vandetta?

The girl offered them her bag ,after they pushed her to the ground,They did not take it.Looks to me like they wanted to show off ,to their girl friends...Show power against a 110kg farang. Drug fueled who knows......He had not been drinking.He just kept saying why me ...why me..what did i ever do to them.....

Mindless wanton violence by individuals with no remorse, empathy or fear of punishment is a symptom of a devolving society. Law of the jungle overides the Rule of Law, it makes me fear for the future. " <deleted> is wrong with this place!!! ", ditto.

The term sociopath fits the description.

Krabi teens claim stabbing of British tourist was a 'misunderstanding'

Phuket Gazette

kr.jpeg

British tourist Daniel Cole, 21, said he would like to resume his travels as soon as possible. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Two teenagers who confessed to attacking a British tourist in Krabi on Monday have claimed that they “misunderstood” the foreigner’s actions and thought he was insulting them.

The victim, Daniel Cole, 21, has already undergone surgery for the cut wounds to his temple, chest, right shoulder and right arm and is recovering at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

Anusorn Kullak, 18, and his accomplice, 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are being held at Krabi Prison.

“They said Mr Cole had insulted them, so the 17-year-old stabbed him with a 15-inch Sparta knife, while Mr Anusorn used a shoe to beat him,” Ao Nang officer Lt Col Niwat Pimket told the Phuket Gazette.

The men ran off after the attack, and then people at a nearby dive shop called the police and rescue workers, he explained.

The British woman, April Clifton, 21, who was walking with Mr Cole was not attacked. The pair were arrested about four hours after the incident.

Today, Mr Cole explained to police that he was still shocked by the attack. However, he would like to return to his travels in Krabi as soon as the hospital discharges him.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19252.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-26

Krabi teens claim stabbing of British tourist was a 'misunderstanding'

Phuket Gazette

kr.jpeg

British tourist Daniel Cole, 21, said he would like to resume his travels as soon as possible. Photo: Atchaa Khamlo

PHUKET: -- Two teenagers who confessed to attacking a British tourist in Krabi on Monday have claimed that they “misunderstood” the foreigner’s actions and thought he was insulting them.

The victim, Daniel Cole, 21, has already undergone surgery for the cut wounds to his temple, chest, right shoulder and right arm and is recovering at Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

Anusorn Kullak, 18, and his accomplice, 17, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are being held at Krabi Prison.

“They said Mr Cole had insulted them, so the 17-year-old stabbed him with a 15-inch Sparta knife, while Mr Anusorn used a shoe to beat him,” Ao Nang officer Lt Col Niwat Pimket told the Phuket Gazette.

The men ran off after the attack, and then people at a nearby dive shop called the police and rescue workers, he explained.

The British woman, April Clifton, 21, who was walking with Mr Cole was not attacked. The pair were arrested about four hours after the incident.

Today, Mr Cole explained to police that he was still shocked by the attack. However, he would like to return to his travels in Krabi as soon as the hospital discharges him.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19252.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-10-26

The women did not get attacked !!!!! pushed to the floor, .i would say that's getting attacked.hit with a shoe haha maybe a flip flop.yeh yeh yeh.what about the stab wounds i saw !!!knife and machete for sure.100%They circled him on bikes,lobed stones and bricks at him,then pushed his girlfriend to the ground,maybe then he insulted them .Wouldn't we all !!!every day we get insulted farang farang farang....but we don't slash people up.Last night fighting broke out on ao nang beach .Thai on Thai kids with bikes.with many arrests. I've just seen around 30 modify bikes on the nopparrat road today .Maybe a gang war has started...wild west here we go again......oh sorry i forgot pity they didn't show the other side of his face.or the wounds on the day.....Lastly, the headline stabbing.....more like Slashing ,you dont stab with a spartar..... Edited by aonangmrhuw