Where Is My Tax Going?

Hello I was wondering if anyone else’s has come across this, I’ve been working for a school now for 4 months and been taxed every month.

I have a non-B visa

I don’t have a work permit nor tax id number.

All the other teachers have been told its company policy to tax employers!

What can I do about this?

Hello I was wondering if anyone else’s has come across this, I’ve been working for a school now for 4 months and been taxed every month.

I have a non-B visa

I don’t have a work permit nor tax id number.

All the other teachers have been told its company policy to tax employers!

What can I do about this?

It's time for real answers. Immediately ask about progress towards getting your paperwork in order. Maybe they are working on it. Do you have a copy of your contract? And don't forget about the teaching license and the social insurance card.

The more likely case is simply that you're being screwed over and that they are stealing the money you are supposedly paying for tax. Happens all the time at dodgy "institutions."

If you get more runaround, then leave as soon as possible: you're illegal. A lot of other schools will be hiring soon.

Edited by JSixpack

Why leave now, in early February? Who's hiring before May? If the rest of the job isn't too bad, just press for questions. Ask every day. In your spare time at work, stop by the office and ask the same questions until you get real answers. Smile, smile, and keep asking the same simple questions. If they're honest enough to say, "I don't know," ask who does know. If they say it's up to Ajarn Mightykorn, go to Ajarn Mightykorn. Rephrase the question: where is my contract, who has my contract, is there a contract, when will I get my contract, what does my contract say, and the hardest question of all, WHY don't I have my contract? About the tax: why I pay tax? What is tax? Why I not have tax ID number?

I like to use Thinglish at this point, to prove that I'm educated in the fine points of Thai educational administration.

Whithout work permit, i.e. you are not employed by them, they put you through their papers as "outsourcing" and pay 3% tax on your services, which they deduct from you, of course. There should be slips for that and once you get WP and become their legal employee and get a tax card, don't forget to include those 3% when you file your taxes. You'll pay less, and the Rev. Dep. won't egt you for working without WP - they just need your taxes.

I would definitely find out on that one. Some schools will scam their employees by "taxing" them when they don't have a WP. You can still pay taxes without a WP but you're not supposed to work without one. Maybe your taxes are going to Thaksin's political party:)

I got real nice receipts for the income tax they withheld for me. But I never had a work permit, teacher's license, or tax ID number. Obviously, they had no ID number under which to report my taxes to the government. I had no reason to think they forwarded the taxes. That's a serious violation of tax law in the USA, but hey, mai bpen rai, sebai sebai, this is Tie-Land. Tomorrow is Tuesday; wear a pink shirt and matching Tie.

True: If you don't have a WP, you're not employed. If there is no evidence of a collaterally SIGNED employment contract, you're not employed. But hey, they're paying you each month, right? And your 'tax deduction' is making merit for some Buddhist! More likely, it goes into the Director's slush fund for girlfriends, boyfriends, and whiskey.