Development Of Social Skills In Thai Children Is Slow, Survey Finds

webfact

Kids' progress slow, survey finds

THE NATION

30192950-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The development of social skills in Thai children between three and five years of age is slow, according to a survey.

The Books for Children Foundation reported recently that five-year-olds had problems with behaviour and conscience.

Children aged three to five do not realise that what they do affects others' feelings and behaviour, while 1 per cent of four-year-olds understand that, it said.

None of the five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of four-year-olds and 75 per cent of three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found.

Only 33 per cent of five-year-olds volunteer to help their friends, while 62 per cent of three-year-olds and 80 per cent of four-year-olds do. Also, many children's motor and memorisation skills are not as effective as they should be. It was found that they could not fold paper because their small muscles lacked practice. Many could not remember their home or emergency phone numbers.

The baseline study was conducted on 304 children at 17 child-development centres across the country in the 2011 academic year.

It looked into seven main points - their physical health and movements, social development, emotional development, intelligence quotient and thinking development, language development, moral development, and creativity development.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-25

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suggestions on child rearing to improve the development of social skills in Thai children.

Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them.

There are kids that are around 8 or 9 years old in my village that have the nanny chasing after them with the bowl of mush thing going on.

• Like 1

Suggestions on child rearing to improve the development of social skills in Thai children.

Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them.

I couldn't agree more. I see it all the time mums chasing the kids even older than 5 with food and spoon feed them whilst they play.

• Like 1

There are kids that are around 8 or 9 years old in my village that have the nanny chasing after them with the bowl of mush thing going on.

Indeed there are. It gets more cringe-worthy with every passing year of their development.

A three year old cannot remember his phone number? Oh my goodness! This article is redunkulous.

I can't remember mine either come to that.

What is a three year old doing with a phone?

Take away all electronic play things until the kids reach the age of 7 and they will learn to be iterative with their peers. Who knows they might even develops some logic skill's.

• Like 1

It all revolves around the education system, everyone of us can see the problem ,for all of Thailand, so how come the brain dead that run the ship can't. Maybe if better educated, the truck , taxi or bus driver might start asking embarrassing questions, me thinks.coffee1.gif

• Like 1

"None of the five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of four-year-olds and 75 per cent of three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found."

Small wonder when they are raised in a culture where nothing is stolen, but "lost", and those items are never recovered but "found".

"Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them. "

My observation is that those 4 and 5 year-olds are male children. Female children seem to be the ones who develop social skills, and as they grow into adults, tend to take the responsibility of supporting their families.

• Like 2

From the statistics it is illustrating that Thai children "devolve" as they age from three to five. Their skills progressively get anti-social with age development. In addition to several posters pointing out the chasing after children with food, are the adult and senior women who jump up on BTS and MRT to offer seats to a child accompanied by an adult regardless of the age of the child.

Indeed there are. It gets more cringe-worthy with every passing year of their development.

Absolutely agree!!!

I notice it more with little fat boys who seem to have learned to be loud, crying, climbing across tables etc., at a very young age with mum chasing, smiling embarrassingly and trying to get something into his chops. However, the little girls, on the whole, seem to sit and get on with it.

A three year old cannot remember his phone number? Oh my goodness! This article is redunkulous.

Heck, I've been known to forget my pin number biggrin.png

Lets just not limit it to this kindergarten age group. I can show you about 100 3rd graders that don't know their mothers telephone number.

(social) education starts at home.

And in the west, that realization started in the 1950's and 1960's.

There's lots of catching up to do in this area.

For every depiction of admirable 21st Century development in Thailand, there's several, like this one, that are more reflective of times from many decades ago.

• Like 1

"None of the five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of four-year-olds and 75 per cent of three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found."

Small wonder when they are raised in a culture where nothing is stolen, but "lost", and those items are never recovered but "found".

"Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them. "

My observation is that those 4 and 5 year-olds are male children. Female children seem to be the ones who develop social skills, and as they grow into adults, tend to take the responsibility of supporting their families.

Quite true it does always seem to be the boys who's mums chase them around with a bowl and a spoon. The girls generally do seem a lot more developed and independent at the same age. My wife tells me that Thai men can't do anything for themselve because they have always been pampered and spoon fed from birth.

• Like 2

Heck, I've been known to forget my pin number biggrin.png

never known a Thai to forget a pin numberthumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Many parents and role models of these kids lack social skills as well. My Thai family watches soap series while having dinner at night. Discussing the daily events is non existent. Monkey sees, monkey does.

• Like 1

What about the way they let the children stay in the parents bed until they want to get out, ten year old still sleeping with the parents, being spoon fed in the play ground, no wonder they are not developing when they are treated like infants.

Let's not leave out what is being unsaid. Children are sleeping in the parents bed and the children are still present when their parents are having sex.

Edited by Markaew