Development Of Social Skills In Thai Children Is Slow, Survey Finds

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<snipe>

Let's not leave out what is being unsaid. Children are sleeping in the parents bed and the children are still present when their parents are having sex.

Tell me about it. I'd ask 12 hours in advance for the ex-missus to let the kiddies sleep with their grandparents particular evenings and I was met with violent opposition. I could not do it. The bed may as well have been occupied by corpses because that's what our bedroom life was, dead. My daughters love coming to my home now where they have their own room to sleep in. Paint some ponies and rainbows on it to scare away the boogey man and closet monsters. Western sensibilities say have the kids out by 2 years old. That may be a little soon but after the kids are 5 there is no reason for it. It's not good for the relationship of the parents either.

• Like 2

"None of the five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of four-year-olds and 75 per cent of three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found."

Small wonder when they are raised in a culture where nothing is stolen, but "lost", and those items are never recovered but "found".

"Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them. "

My observation is that those 4 and 5 year-olds are male children. Female children seem to be the ones who develop social skills, and as they grow into adults, tend to take the responsibility of supporting their families.

Quite true it does always seem to be the boys who's mums chase them around with a bowl and a spoon. The girls generally do seem a lot more developed and independent at the same age. My wife tells me that Thai men can't do anything for themselve because they have always been pampered and spoon fed from birth.

your wife is right too, my son {has thai mam} has been telling his mother what he wants to wear for the past 4 yrs, hes now 8, ....one day i asked his mam "why have you bought him the top of the range trainers"?, she had been telling me how short of money she was , ...''him like '' was was the reply,... " oh, thats ok then " i said , for a moment i thought you had found a job ! ,

when he's with me , i choose what we can reasonably afford , not what will make him the most trendy kid in town ! , a good book or an educational toy can be purchased for the same amount as the most "trendy " trainers .............8 yrs old &lt;deleted&gt; !

Suggestions on child rearing to improve the development of social skills in Thai children.

Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them.

And, and, and get the rug rats into bed at a proper hour (not still still running around the village roads at 23.00 hours) and get those 'god awful dummies' out of thier mouths.

Not send the to them anubaan for teachers to babysit them from 07.00 - 17.00 i.e. the mothers should be looking after them. Also not shipping them off to aunts, uncles and grandparents to watch them doing the same things.

Those bowls of food and following the kid around until the little buggars stop for another mouthful used to really give me the shyts. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

<snipe>

Let's not leave out what is being unsaid. Children are sleeping in the parents bed and the children are still present when their parents are having sex.

Tell me about it. I'd ask 12 hours in advance for the ex-missus to let the kiddies sleep with their grandparents particular evenings and I was met with violent opposition. I could not do it. The bed may as well have been occupied by corpses because that's what our bedroom life was, dead. My daughters love coming to my home now where they have their own room to sleep in. Paint some ponies and rainbows on it to scare away the boogey man and closet monsters. Western sensibilities say have the kids out by 2 years old. That may be a little soon but after the kids are 5 there is no reason for it. It's not good for the relationship of the parents either.

And one wonders why so many blokes in Thailand have mia noi's? Children in the bed, is not even a safe way for infants to be put to bed.

• Like 1

let's not kids ourselves....this lack of social skills goes went into adulthood...

I've seen and experienced completely grown 30 year old Thai women pout, cry and throw tandrums when they do not get what they want!

I should know....my mother is thai and i've had thai gf's....

To ALL the adult men who have dated thai women - i know you're nodding head to this comment right now! wink.png

Edited by song0674
  • Like 1

When I moved into a house in my village the population was predominantly Foreigners. Now years later our population is predominantly Thai. The children of these Thai families climb all over my truck every evening after school. Their parents do nothing. Sometimes I chase the kids off but to them it's a game and still come back for more. However at least now they don't mess with my Thai wife's flower's.

The failure of Thai to return borrowed property even to the point of the becoming offensive if I ask for my ladder or tools back is typical behavior in my village. If i lend money I can never get it back so I don't lend anymore.

Our Village money lender has the same experience so she takes security now, usually the borrower's motor bike if they have one.

However I have to say that I've had similar problems with farang in Thailand from time to time during the past 20 years. Now I don't lend at all. This all sounds so petty, But I know that I should move because the neighbors await to guide a relative of their's into my house as happens with many houses vacated by foreigner's in my soi. Yes you're right I am rather old now.

Edited by indyuk

It all revolves around the education system, everyone of us can see the problem ,for all of Thailand, so how come the brain dead that run the ship can't. Maybe if better educated, the truck , taxi or bus driver might start asking embarrassing questions, me thinks.coffee1.gif

No it doesn't. It revolves around the parents more than the education system.

When I moved into a house in my village the population was predominantly Foreigners. Now years later our population is predominantly Thai. The children of these Thai families climb all over my truck every evening after school. Their parents do nothing. Sometimes I chase the kids off but to them it's a game and still come back for more. However at least now they don't mess with my Thai wife's flower's.

The failure of Thai to return borrowed property even to the point of the becoming offensive if I ask for my ladder or tools back is typical behavior in my village. If i lend money I can never get it back so I don't lend anymore.

Our Village money lender has the same experience so she takes security now, usually the borrower's motor bike if they have one.

However I have to say that I've had similar problems with farang in Thailand from time to time during the past 20 years. Now I don't lend at all. This all sounds so petty, But I know that I should move because the neighbors await to guide a relative of their's into my house as happens with many houses vacated by foreigner's in my soi. Yes you're right I am rather old now.

Not just Thailand but in some other Asian countries too there seems to be a reluctance to ensure children behave to what we maybe consider the norm. We've had visitors kids jumping on the furniture, poking the pets and generally behaving with little manners. My wife told me not to say anything because the parents would be offended and maybe not come again.

let's not kids ourselves....this lack of social skills goes went into adulthood...

I've seen and experienced completely grown 30 year old Thai women pout, cry and throw tandrums when they do not get what they want!

I should know....my mother is thai and i've had thai gf's....

To ALL the adult men who have dated thai women - i know you're nodding head to this comment right now! wink.png

You're right - but not just a Thai phenomena, more a female one! From personal experience Thai ladies do resort to the tantrums more quickly and for less reason than others. This way of behaving will be mimicked by their children.

• Like 1

Many parents and role models of these kids lack social skills as well. My Thai family watches soap series while having dinner at night. Discussing the daily events is non existent. Monkey sees, monkey does.

All countries have their own social norms and people acquire social skills based on these. It's part of a countries culture. I have many friends from Western European countries who find Brits aggressive and too direct in their comments. Whilst my American friends think the Brits are reserved! Your view depends on your own social skills and norms which were influenced by your country, family and enivironmental cultures.

Some things are very different between the cultures but neither is necessarily right ot wrong. Thailand has a particular unqiue and distinct culture and Thais equally find some of our behaviour odd.

• Like 1

article should be; development of social skills in Thai adults is slow, survey finds.

its not the children but the source.

Now we're getting to the real truth of the problem. Every problem they are quoting as belonging to 3 and 4 year olds, I see it the same with 75% of the Thai adults. How many times have I loaned a tool or something to a Thai adult and never got it back? Children emulate adults. Not just in Thailand, all over the world.. We just happen to be in Thailand, so we can pick on them. OK? Don't be giving me this Thai bashing crap. However... Since I'm in Thailand, I have seen many instances of juvenile behavoir from the local adults that I don't recall seeing in the US. It has to be a culture thing.

Many parents and role models of these kids lack social skills as well. My Thai family watches soap series while having dinner at night. Discussing the daily events is non existent. Monkey sees, monkey does.

Such is the joy of expat family life in Thailand.

Monkey sees, monkey pays bills, monkey does nothing to make change....

Children aged three to five do not realise that what they do affects others' feelings and behaviour, while 1 per cent of four-year-olds understand that, it said.

None of the five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of four-year-olds and 75 per cent of three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found.

​I don't believe these kids........biggrin.png

33% 5 year olds help friends

80% 4 year olds help friends

62% 3 year olds help friends.

What does that mean?

33% 5 year olds help friends

80% 4 year olds help friends

62% 3 year olds help friends.

What does that mean?

67% 5 year old don't helps friends.

20% 4 year old don't helps friends.

38% 3 year old don't helps friends.= helpless

Means: 125% are not helping their friends. Helpless kids.---.biggrin.png

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

I have made some selective additions to this article that will make it more reflective of Thai society,

"None of the (twenty) five-year-olds return the belongings of their friends to them, while 69 per cent of (forty) four -year-olds and 75 per cent of (thirty) three-year-olds return the belonging to their friends, the survey found.

Only 33 per cent of (twenty, thirty, ) five-year-olds volunteer to help their friends, while 62 per cent of (forty, ) three-year-olds and 80 per cent of (fifty) four-year-olds do."

Edited by pbeieio

parents that let their young children watch their crazy stupid series on channel 3,5,7 every night, off course they will start to copy that bad behaviour and think it is normal

reading a book ???? thai children ??? cartoons at best

Such is the joy of expat family life in Thailand.

Monkey sees, monkey pays bills, monkey does nothing to make change....

...Monkey tries to make change, but is swimming against the tide and is considered the turd in the punchbowl by all and sundry.

At least it's not baby cartoons for fifty year old down to 10. wai.gif

Suggestions on child rearing to improve the development of social skills in Thai children.

Stop bottle-feeding 4 year-olds and stop chasing 5 year-olds around with bowls of food in order to spoon-feed them.

The truth.

The truth.

http://www.dailymail...ding-son-4.html

What do you think, OK to post a pic that was on the cover of Time?

Man, that is so wrong...Has she been on Jerry Springer yet?