Canadian, Australian Found Dead In Bangkok Hotel Room

webfact

Doesn't heroin have much less distance to travel than cocaine?

I have no idea how accurate the below links are but according to them a gram of heroin in Thailand is $83 while a gram of cocaine is $65. If true it wouldn't surprise me because distance traveled is a small part of what a drug costs, especially when you are talking drugs like heroin and cocaine which are compact in size and weight when looking at typical dosage. But then again the opposite wouldn't surprise me either in terms of heroin being considerably cheaper..

http://www.havocscope.com/black-market-prices/heroin-prices/

http://www.narcoticnews.com/Asia-Cocaine-Prices-Asian-Cocaine-Price-per-gram-and-kilogram.php

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two young men overdosing at the same time on a drug in powder form is highly highly unlikely. Either (a) they were sold poison, or ( b ) something else entirely happened.

What the police choose to "believe" in Thailand is rarely relevant.

No offence......

Crap.

There have been repeated instances of overly pure drugs killing several fit young men stone dead.

I know of two that died in a village near me ( pop 350 ) in Scotland in one night.

If you don't know what you are talking about then don't comment please.

At least with heroin, accidental overdoses are often (possibly mostly) do to tolerance issues as opposed to the drug being more pure than thought. This is a sad thing because relapse is often part of the recovery process for drug addicts but for heroin addicts it can easily mean the end of their life. What happens is that a heroin user builds up a tolerance and compensates for this by taking more of the drug over time but then when the stop using for a period that tolerance they built up goes away but when the user goes back to using they often will dose themselves at the level the last did of course combining this with an extra purer batch of heroin is only going to greatly increase the odds of overdosing.

Edited by Nisa

Canadian, Australian found dead in Bangkok hotel

BANGKOK, Oct 26, 2012 (AFP) - A Canadian and an Australian tourist have been found dead in a Bangkok hotel after a suspected drug overdose, Thai tourist police said Friday.

A maid found the bodies of the two men, who are believed to be aged 31 and 27-years-old respectively, slumped in a room in the Park Plaza, a hotel in one of main the tourist drags of the Thai capital late Thursday.

Their bodies were found alongside an unknown white powder and drug taking paraphernalia.

"At the initial autopsy the forensic doctor said they died from a drug overdose," the tourist policeman, who wanted to remain anonymous told AFP, adding tests will be carried out on the powder.

Thailand's reputation as a tourist paradise has been tarnished recently after the deaths of several holidaymakers including two Canadian sisters on the resort island of Phi Phi in a suspected poisoning case in June.

In August, a British and a French tourist died in a nightclub blaze on Phuket island in another blow to Thailand's image -- already tarnished over recent years by deadly political unrest, devastating floods, and concerns about violent crimes against foreigners.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-10-26

Awesome how they can announce overdose before they can even identify the powder. Powder could be ID'ed in minutes, where as cause if death would require some forensic examination of toxins in the system and organs along with levels and whether levels were fatal. Very least run mass spec or gas chromograhpy.

So truth is they speculate or prefer overdose as cause of death and they may get around to testing powder and actually running proper test on deceased if and when it becomes necessary.

What a joke.

Has the obvious not occured to you in that when they say unknown powder that it is unknown to the person writing this article and not unknown to the police at the time of the article or by the person doing the initial autopsy?

Edited by Nisa

Blimey. 7 pages of theories. Gays (that was particularly bizarre, it's always nice when the homophobes come to the party), drug addicts, the scourge of drugs, legalise drugs, the cops are crap, Thailand is crap, they did it to themselves, they were victims ....

Two young blokes dead. It's bloody tragic. Here's the end of the Sydney Morning Herald story this morning, some TV posters should take note of the last line ...

A DFAT spokeswoman tonight confirmed that a 27-year-old man from NSW had died in Bangkok.

‘‘We are also aware of reports that a second man, believed to be a Canadian citizen, was found deceased at the same location,’’ she said.

‘‘It would not be appropriate to speculate on the cause of death at this time.’’

Of course it would not be appropriate to speculate since they barely have any facts or first hand knowledge including being sure the citizenship of the other deceased or even confirm if the Aussie was a tourist. However, the news that carried your quote back in Australia certainly had no problem repeating the speculation they died of an overdose ...

An Australian and a Canadian have been found dead in a Bangkok hotel after a suspected drug overdose. http://www.smh.com.au/national/australian-found-dead-in-bangkok-hotel-20121026-28bea.html

On Friday night, Thai tourist police said an Australian and a Canadian tourist had been found dead in a Bangkok hotel after a suspected drug overdose.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/10/27/07/00/dfat-confirms-aussie-death-in-bangkok

But have to agree that if any of us are employees of Department of Foreign Affairs then we should always choose are words very carefully and always say as little as possible.

From the Australian media.

Australian authorities have confirmed a NSW man has been found dead in Bangkok, amid reports he died of a drug overdose along with a Canadian man found in the same hotel room.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said in a statement that she was aware that a 27-year-old man from NSW had died in the Thai capital. However, she was not able to say whether the death was the result of an overdose.

The spokeswoman said she was also aware of reports that a Canadian citizen was found dead at the same location. She said she could not speculate about the cause of death of the Australian, or confirm that he was a tourist.

Thailand's reputation as a tourist paradise has been tarnished recently after the deaths of several holidaymakers, including two Canadian sisters, on the resort island of Phi Phi in a suspected poisoning case in June.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/10/27/07/00/dfat-confirms-aussie-death-in-bangkok

The fact that a white powder was found in the room does not indicate drug use, was the powder found in a suitcase or where exactly in the room? Who knows. From personal experience attending unexplained death cases there is generally an obvious indication of actual drug use ie: fresh needle marks and drug equipment. Intial swabs (3 samples) are taken of the nasal passages, mouth and hands one swab is tested at the scene. (powder in the nose and on hands and traces in the mouth re pills poped) This is done to preserve the crime scene (every scene is a crime scene until otherwise) and to determine is speciallist units like homicide should be called. I am sure that the Thai authorities would have conducted the same preliminary investigations as it is just standard.

I should mention also from personal experience, if drugs were involved and it included two or more victims at the same location then it would definately be treated as a suspicious death and the homicide squad would definately be involved.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1

Why oh why would you want to do this to yourself?? 27 and 31 <deleted>.

Drugs are the scourge of our time.

What a joke this statement is. Drug policy is the scourge of our time.

Alcohol is a drug. Tobacco is a drug. Medication from the pharmacy are drugs. Drugs are clearly not 'the scourge of our time.' It is the way we view drugs, the way we isolate some and discriminate against them, and mostly it is the way we view drug users / addicts - not as sick people who desperately need our help but as criminals who deserve to be punished for their crimes.

Although not from "overdose", alcohol kills millions, every year.

• Like 1

The fact that a white powder was found in the room does not indicate drug use, was the powder found in a suitcase or where exactly in the room? Who knows. From personal experience attending unexplained death cases there is generally an obvious indication of actual drug use ie: fresh needle marks and drug equipment. Intial swabs (3 samples) are taken of the nasal passages, mouth and hands one swab is tested at the scene. (powder in the nose and on hands and traces in the mouth re pills poped) This is done to preserve the crime scene (every scene is a crime scene until otherwise) and to determine is speciallist units like homicide should be called. I am sure that the Thai authorities would have conducted the same preliminary investigations as it is just standard.

What you say is standard is not standard in Thailand.

If they died from an overdose of drugs, bad luck. No sympathy here if tha'ts the case, as far as I am concerned good riddance.

Better they kill themselves than some one else. Like the RED BULL heir.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/592367-red-bull-heir-did-coke-before-bangkok-accident/

Edited by OZEMADE
  • Like 1

Alcohol is a drug. Tobacco is a drug. Medication from the pharmacy are drugs. Drugs are clearly not 'the scourge of our time.' It is the way we view drugs, the way we isolate some and discriminate against them, and mostly it is the way we view drug users / addicts - not as sick people who desperately need our help but as criminals who deserve to be punished for their crimes.

Sorry, but I've never read such naive tripe on this site.

• Like 1

DFAT confirms Aussie death in Bangkok

Australian authorities have confirmed a NSW man has been found dead in Bangkok, amid reports he died of a drug overdose along with a Canadian man found in the same hotel room.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) said in a statement that she was aware that a 27-year-old man from NSW had died in the Thai capital.

In August, a British and a French tourist died in a nightclub blaze on Phuket island. http://news.ninemsn....eath-in-bangkok

Edited by metisdead
: Edited as per fair use policy.

(Most but not all) TV pundits clearly do not possess enough experience with drugs or the social problems that drugs bring about. Or! all you drug experts know everything about drugs because you all used /are doing drugs and so you know all about it. Just a few paragraphs on this story and everyone seems to think they know what the real story is. Try taking a breath, sit back and wait for the facts to surface. Know it all pundits on this forum are bad mmmmmmkay.

If they died from an overdose of drugs, bad luck. No sympathy here if tha'ts the case, as far as I am concerned good riddance.

http://www.thaivisa....ngkok-accident/

You know nothing about these two men yet make very harsh judgements. In my youth I was a hard drug user, not heroin, barbiturates. Just as addictive as heroin, It was a passing phase. After a few years got clean. Went on to work in large organisations, paid lots of tax, raised a family and so on; . As many have already posted their is a lot more damage caused to society by legal stimulants/depressants than illegal drugs.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

You know nothing about these two men yet make very harsh judgements. In my youth I was a hard drug user, not heroin, barbiturates. Just as addictive as heroin, It was a passing phase. After a few years got clean. Went on to work in large organisations, paid lots of tax, raised a family and so on; . As many have already posted their is a lot more damage caused to society by legal stimulants/depressants than illegal drugs.

Your right, deaths from prescribed oxycontin overdose far outnumber the total deaths from all illicit drugs.

Obviously by your own admission you were not a hard drug user. I have no sympathy for drug users as they had and have a choice. To use or not to use. Dont give me any s**t about pier pressure. It's your choice.

Obviously by your own admission you were not a hard drug user. I have no sympathy for drug users as they had and have a choice. To use or not to use. Dont give me any s**t about pier pressure. It's your choice.

Sorry, but barbiturates are a hard drug as they are physically addictive. Agree it's the users choice to use or not.. Many people do not realise that physical addiction to the likes of heroin and barbiturates is resolved within a week or so. After that period to stay clean is physiological/will power. Too many do gooders in western society support transitioning from heroin addiction with the likes of methadone; in my opinion it just prolongs addictive behaviour for years.

Simple1.

Have to disagree with you. Barbituates are not a hard drug and are mainly use as an anti depressant, however there are all sorts of uses for different types of Barbituates. People who use Barbiotuates normally get them from the Pharmacy after they were perscribed from their doctor. In most cases they dont follow the directions and finish up self medicating by taking more than what was perscribed, which obviously by your admission you yourself did. As I said before, their/your choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbiturate

I almost wish that TVF would not post topics like this. I think that the reasons are pretty obvious.

If a topic like this distresses you then here is a tip, don't open them and read them. It is a little like watching television, if you don't like the show, change channels or read a book. As I tell my 5 yr old, don't get upset if you do not like something, find something else to do.

Edited by softgeorge

Simple1.

Have to disagree with you. Barbituates are not a hard drug and are mainly use as an anti depressant, however there are all sorts of uses for different types of Barbituates. People who use Barbiotuates normally get them from the Pharmacy after they were perscribed from their doctor. In most cases they dont follow the directions and finish up self medicating by taking more than what was perscribed, which obviously by your admission you yourself did. As I said before, their/your choice.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Barbiturate

For the purposes of this topic let's define hard drugs as addictive, available illegally and can cause death by overdose in a "normal" user environment. Barbiturates are one of those drug classes. For more info go to the URL below, but a quick summary may suffice. Barbiturates are dangerous drugs because the difference between an appropriate therapeutic dose and a toxic dose, that can lead to over dosage, is small. Do not under estimate the danger of barbiturates. The pink tablets in the crime scene photo could easily be barbiturates.

http://www.recoveryconnection.org/barbiturate-addiction-treatment-withdrawal/

Wow who could have guessed that there are so many CSI experts on Thai Visa that can read a story and see a picture and immediately come up with all kinds of "proof" as to what really happened.

Never mind the most OBVIOUS conclusion that two young guys got carried away with partying and over did it all and ended up dead.

Much more believable that the cops entered the room, found two dead guys and decided to plant some drugs on them for some strange reason. Or someone murdered them without putting a scratch on them and then planted drugs to cover it up.

DUH.

• Like 1

Simple1.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Barbiturate

For the purposes of this topic let's define hard drugs as addictive, available illegally and can cause death by overdose in a "normal" user environment. Barbiturates are one of those drug classes. For more info go to the URL below, but a quick summary may suffice. Barbiturates are dangerous drugs because the difference between an appropriate therapeutic dose and a toxic dose, that can lead to over dosage, is small. Do not under estimate the danger of barbiturates. The pink tablets in the crime scene photo could easily be barbiturates.

http://www.recoveryc...ent-withdrawal/

There are two type of drugs, Prohibited substances and Controlled ( Prescribed) Substances. Prohibited substances are ilegal and Prescribed Substances are also ilegal if you posses or use them without a prescription. So if you are addicted to prescription medication and using it without authority then you are no different to the drug addict shooting up heroin in the back alley.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 2

I almost wish that TVF would not post topics like this. I think that the reasons are pretty obvious.

If a topic like this distresses you then here is a tip, don't open them and read them. It is a little like watching television, if you don't like the show, change channels or read a book. As I tell my 5 yr old, don't get upset if you do not like something, find something else to do.

You are correct, I don't mind to read the headlines, It could be someone I know from Canada, hence the initial interest, but as far as the postings go, you know what is going to be said, without reading.

This is really common, I had a friend die this way in Cambodia. These chaps thought they were buying cocaine but ended up with heroin. One can snort a great deal of cocaine and be no worse off than a shocking hangover and agonizing embarrassment but the same amount of heroin will kill.

We spent a couple of months in Cambodia, and there were a lot of deaths like this. People thinking they were getting cocaine but it was actually quite pure heroin. Most were found with their heads on the table, some with the straw still in their nose. Don't know if it's calmed down, but it was a huge problem when we were there a couple of years ago.

Don't know much about heroin or cocaine but from what I have read it seems that heroin IS A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE THAN COCAINE... So why would a vendor sell you heroin at the same price as heroin..?? Or is the price so cheap that the user / buyer thinks he's getting a good deal on cocaine.. >> Dunno something just doen't seem logical here..?

Don't know where you do your reading but heroin is generally lots cheaper than coke especially in Asia where heroin is much more prevalent than coke.

That's the reason why they were being given heroin, I don't know of the availability of coke in Cambodia or it cost, as I've never dabbled in either. I do know that in the 2 months we were in Sihnaoukville, 7 barangs, as we are referred to over there, died from snorting heroin. All tourists, some of who's families stated that they had a history of snorting Coke but never heroin.

In any case, in Bangkok - tourists fresh off the plane are going to have no idea what it costs to buy either drug locally, so it doesn't matter which is cheaper on the streets. Whatever they paid for it, you can sure as hell say it would be a lot more than a local, even an expat, who knows the market price would. Perhaps the dealers find it easier to get heroin than coke and that's why they ended up with it.

Maybe this isn't what happened, but in my opinion, and with what I've seen in the past with my own eyes, I think it most likely is.

Why oh why would you want to do this to yourself?? 27 and 31 <deleted>.

Drugs are the scourge of our time.

\

The history of the world can be written about drug use. It is nothing new and not specific to our time.

I really don't see two people ODing at the same time as a normal occurance and recall that people getting poisoned is becoming a common occurrance in Thailand.

Been around awhile and never heard of so many mysterious poison incidents.

Quite apart from these 2 needless deaths, which I have previously stated I believe is accidental due to them indulging in something they thought was something else, there does seem to have been an awful lot of mysterious poisoning incidents over the last couple of years.

If there is a rolled up bill, which there is in the photo, it definitely means they were snorting IF IN FACT THEY WERE DOING DRUGS...?? This is easy to set up to make it look like they were.... So if you are snorting you are DEFINITELY NOT SHOOTING ... A set up with seringes is a little more difficult to do .. IF THEY WERE SET UP ...???

Clearly you don't know much about druggies because they can shoot, they can snort, they can smoke, they can such and they can swallow drugs and they also can do all these things in the same night and when you have more than one person they could each be using different ways and/or start off using one way and then use another and/or be taking one drug via one method and another drug via another method. You are absolutely 100% wrong to say they definitely were not shooting if they were snorting. They very well might not have been shooting up but just as many reasons to not discount it as a possibility as there are to discount it.

As for being set up, I think that hypothesis borders on being delusional given the facts as we know them so far. But certainly could be there was a hit put on these two and for unknown reasons it would need to look like an accident (maybe they were secret agents that stumbled onto a sinister plot) and it is possible somebody forced them to take drugs or otherwise get drugs into them, while making it look like they took them willingly (drugs and inflamation in nasal passages), without any struggle and then set up the room to make it look like they were doing drugs all in some plan to murder these two but make it not look like a murder and not leave behind any clues as to a motive for a murder and being sure they weren't caught on security cameras entering or leaving the room or with the two alleged victims. I'm also guessing they needed to somehow know these two were drug users otherwise it would be a pretty strange for them to go through all the planning of the perfect murder only to find out everyone who knows them says they never took drugs and tests reveled they too had not taken any drugs in months but somehow came to Bangkok and decided to do hardcore drugs together alone in a hotel room.

Maybe it is just me being whacky but at this point I tend to think that just maybe they overdosed or got hold of some bad drugs.

If I recall correctly, you blamed the Candian sisters of killing themselves by ingesting deet trying to get high because Thai authorities leaked such an abserd theory even though everyone was posting scientific evidence that the amount needing to be consumed made such a scenario virtually impossible.

My complaint here is that once again Thai authorites jumped to conclusion and release a preliminary pathalogy report (which is highly improper) absent formal forensic examination and toxicology reports. The fact that this was leaked under the guise of medical examinar preliminary report even before they had tested the white powdery substance makes the whole situation even more of a keystone cop scenario.

Proper procedure is to treat as a crime scene, preserve evidence, interview witnesses, test the powder, run toxicology and mass spec to determine what and how mcuh is in the blood stream and then start forming opinions about whether it was OD or something all together different. Almost, but not quiet, as assinine as preliminary report on the sisters about statements that prescription drugs being the cause when it was just motrin.

I am not sure there is a single thing in your post that is connected to reality from your claims of the Canadian girls and quantity of deet needed to kill (especially when mixed with other drugs) to a release of report that wasn't officially or otherwise released to you acting like it is not the norm for police (just about anywhere) to speculate what they think happened or likely cause of death to the press as well as comments about initial medical finding all the way through your jabber about the way things should be handled as if to suggest things have not been handled that way. Not sure where you where born or where you come from but this news report is little different than what you find in most of the west as are the police comments and the quoting of unnamed sourced when it comes to some details such as initial finding of the preliminary autopsy being leaked.

So, as I often am with your posts in these farang death threads, I am perplexed as to what point you are trying to make except to again suggest some incompetence or cover up going on despite anything based in reality to suggest such a thing has happened which seems to always be the case in these threads but for some reason unknown to me you cannot accept that farangs die in Thailand because they make stupid choices just like some do back home.

Haha, you never let me down for a good laugh. Uhm, DEET does not potentiate by downregulating or inhibiting the cytochrome p450 cyp3A4 enzymes so exactly how does DEET potentiate codeine, Kratom or even alcohol. By precisely what mechanism other than you think Wiki told you so.

I speak in science and basic investigative protocol used in civilized society.

Dudes could have ODed. That was never my point, although that is all you chose to comment on because you cannot refute anything else I say. You just change subject or infuse collateral matters as usual.

Love to hear you theory on how DEET potentiates or downregulates. Few choices 1B1, A411, 450, 34A, 2E1, or any of the others which I cannot think of at the moment. At least I gave you some hints as starting points.

Google away. Too bad you cannot get a diploma for Google skills.

"Their bodies were found alongside an unknown white powder and drug taking paraphernalia.

"At the initial autopsy the forensic doctor said they died from a drug overdose," the tourist policeman, who wanted to remain anonymous told AFP, adding tests will be carried out on the powder."

More: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1233652/1/.html

I'm wondering how long a drug test will take and more importantly the result of it.----wai2.gif